Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 480 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha
17. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 14:41 briktal

Respen wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:05:
Unless the changes involve an in game server browser instead of the god aweful web based one and preferably steam support I'm not interested. It's sad that bad decisions and politics have ruined this game for me, but they have.

I thought the web server browser was generally considered better than any in-game server browser DICE had ever made. I don't actually know because I only used the quick join button.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks
2. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks Aug 29, 2011, 15:10 briktal

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 15:06:
This should be interesting. CoD using Steamworks, BF3 using Origin. Both are large names but...

...MW2 and Black Ops also used Steamworks? Some people seem to be treating this as a big new development, especially with Steam vs Origin but it's more of an expected confirmation than anything.

News Comments > RIFT Six Month Anniversary Celebration Begins
5. Re: RIFT Six Month Anniversary Celebration Begins Aug 25, 2011, 15:33 briktal

zincthallinide wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 13:48:
It's $14.95/month for the monthly plan, the larger plans are slightly less but I don't think any are as low as $10..

At any rate, I find Rift fun in spurts which for a MMOG makes it unique for me.. I mostly enjoy it for the PvP, though.. Warriors are fun..

I keep canceling my subscription, then resubbing, then getting burnt out again, etc. It's just not quite worth it at $15 a month for me. At $10 a month it might be.. It's one of those games I want to play every couple of weeks or so

It is the best MMOG I've played overall thus far. WoW has more content but after playing Rift it just feels too easy

Checking the site it looks like they have a 12 month plan for $10/mo. I'm not sure if they always had this plan though, as people who bought the game on release could get a 3 or 6 month plan for the cost per month of the current 6/12 month plans.

News Comments > Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons
26. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:34 briktal

It sounds more to me like Square Enix is saying they screwed up.  

News Comments > GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
25. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 06:56 briktal

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 04:56:
The last throes of Brick n Mortar. They are really shooting themselves in the foot with this reaction. Losing sales, and bad publicity.

Well they had three options: 1) Just sell the games as-is, letting Square Enix/OnLive walk all over them, possibly including breaking existing agreements 2) take the codes out and sell the games 3) return the copies with the codes and wait for SE to send them copies without the codes. From a business perspective, 1 is bad. They probably figured that taking the codes out would be the better option for both them and consumers, since it would be the fastest way for them to get the games without the codes. I guess they just underestimated how mad the internet would get that someone outside a factory might've touched the inside of the box of their Steamworks game.

News Comments > GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons
10. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 14:30 briktal

This whole story seems like it is missing something. The GameStop email only mentions regular edition copies. According to http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/24/get-onlive-with-deus-ex-human-revolution/ OnLive says only copies from GameStop will have the code. GameStop says the code was included without their knowledge.  

News Comments > On Origin Data-Mining
42. Re: On Origin Data-Mining Aug 24, 2011, 09:31 briktal

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 23:49:
I can't help but get this weird sensation this entire Origin/anti-steam/Battlefield 3 fiasco is just some giant social experiment on seeing how far you can go with alienating potential customers.

I was thinking more a social experiment on seeing how much hate they can generate by doing things Valve/Steam does.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
38. removed Aug 19, 2011, 16:58 briktal

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 19, 2011, 23:49.

News Comments > From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated]
28. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 19, 2011, 09:18 briktal

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 07:07:
It validates because it syncs the saves on exit and start - saves are saved online.... when you lose connections it tries to sync (on exit ) until it has connection or waits till you start again.

So i am wondering if people confuse the cloud sync function with drm

Does the game start if it is unable to sync the saves?

News Comments > Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed
38. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 16:10 briktal

Frijoles wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:51:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:31:
Not quite.

Both From Dust and Driver: San Francisco require a internet connection EVERY time you launch the game. (So the DRM still sucks)... but if you lose your internet connection after you launched... you can still play (until you exit... then you need an internet connection again to launch again).

As posted up a few comments, this was changed in From Dust. It now requires an always-on connection. In fact, they're giving refunds last I saw.

No, originally they announced that From Dust would have a one time only online activation. In reality, an internet connection is required every time you start the game, and they have now changed the post on their forums to reflect this (after the game had been released).

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
102. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 15:36 briktal

Bhruic wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 13:45:
At the end of the day, people just want their crack:
[url=]http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/0/7251/z7251130X.jpg[/url]

Ah, yes, the old "19 people out of 833 didn't actually follow through on their boycott" pic.

Before there was the protest over CoD not having dedicated servers, did companies go out of their way to announce that they had them? Would "have dedicated servers" be used as a selling point for games if there wasn't an outcry? Just because it didn't change CoD (which was almost certainly feature-locked at that point) doesn't mean the protest had no impact, regardless of whether a few people caved and bought the game anyway.

The info about the lack of dedicated servers came out about 3 weeks before the game. If one site didn't ask about servers in an interview, who knows when they would've said something about it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2011, 13:26 briktal

kanniballl wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 10:45:
-EDIT-

Never mind, this news posting says what I thought it was.

At least there's still one more season next year and we're still wrapping up Season 4.5.

On one hand it's a shame, on the other hand I think most shows shouldn't go past 3 or 5 seasons (the premise is no longer fresh, the writers run out of ideas, etc). And people have complained about the last season-or-two, specifically the big change they made during 4.0.

I say "go out on top" so you're remembered fondly instead of for going downhill at the end with some bad seasons.

The main problem with the cancelling of Eureka is that they were told they were going to get a short 6 episode season six to use to end the show, but as they finished season 5, that got cut.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
12. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 11:09 briktal

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 10:44:
Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated.

OMG, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE?! SERIOUSLY?! THAT'S INCREDIBLE! Please tell us more of this amazing digital wizardry! You mean, like, the game just auto-updates itself? Like Steam has been doing just fine for me for the past six years, even though I'm NOT always connected?

What more incredible fucking benefits do you have for us, oh Prononent of Horseshit DRM? Because let's be honest here, that's the ONLY reason to force being online for single player games, Tim Fucking Willits.

Creston

Hell, plenty of games 10 years ago had updaters in their launchers.

If you want people to accept online-only single player, you have to make the single player an online game, give the user a reason to want to play online. Why would I want to play Doom 3's single player online?

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future
21. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Aug 10, 2011, 08:34 briktal

Julio wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 07:59:
Here's why I didn't purchase DA2 and will not likely be buying DA3 or any Bioware products in the future.

Bioware no longer makes games that are what I want. I'm hoping that someone else will.

Here's why DA2 went from a 'must buy on day one' to 'never buying it':

1) Loss of overhead camera (made me wait for a demo/reviews)
2) Gameplay changes such as 'waves of mobs'
3) The demo sucked (and likely the full game did too)
4) Bioware employee(s) posted their own reviews (without revealing their conflict of interest). To me that's pretty fradulent.
5) Metacritic user reviews clearly showed the game sucked
6) PC Gamer gave it a score in the high 90s.
7) Development time/effort was too short, clearly shown in the repeating of map areas. Maybe DA3 will take place in only one room with different colors each time.
8) Bioware is doing lots of damage control BS. Basically the game sucked, but Bioware is right, and made the right decisions. So DA3 will be worse.

Overall, I suspect EA isn't happy with the lower amount of sales DA2 did than DA1. Or maybe DA2 sold well and they fooled lots of gamers into paying for it. But I doubt DA2 sales > DA1 sales, and I'll predict DA3 sales will be worse.

I think DA2 sold pretty well. Keep in mind, there are a lot of people who see a 2 and think "whoa they made another one!" and buy it. That's the entire point of a cash in sequel. Now, DA3 sales might be another issue.

I wouldn't say that DA2 was really all that dumbed down. The problem is, it was bad. You still had some of the combat depth in there, but you couldn't use it due to the waves.

News Comments > DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today
15. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 9, 2011, 08:21 briktal

Illumin wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 23:41:
26 servers combined into 4 regional? Ouch so like what are they going for? 1 Americas, 1 Euro, 1 Asia and what?

Anyway you look at it that's bad real bad. Adding the word mega doesn't make it sound any better. This time next year you think they will be shut down?

US PC, US PS3, Euro PC, Euro PS3.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
152. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 8, 2011, 09:30 briktal

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 03:39:
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I am saying. If you want to rant about this service DRM bullshit I am with you brother! I hate DRM, I hate having to tie my purchases to these services, all of them. I am not defending Origin, I am simply expressing frustration with people singling it out.

When Rockpapershotgun bitch about DRM and Origin and all this other shit but then suck Steam's cock every other post it makes me go "wha?" When forum posters do the same thing it makes me go "wha?" In short, I don't agree with the hypocrisy. Same thing with Diablo 3's online requirement getting quite a lot less rage than Ubisoft's did, and their battle.net exclusivity getting no mention what-so-ever. Where are the "steam or don't buy" posts about Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3? Very few of them exist. You act like they do, but they don't, not in the same volume as they do against EA right now, not at all. Fuck man, the lack of BF3 on Steam is getting headlines on news sites for God's sake.

I do not like hypocrisy. I do not like that Valve and Blizzard get to play by different rules. That is my main point. It has nothing to do with "Valve hate" people keep shoving on me to try and belittle my points. I own every single game Valve have ever released and bought them all at full price, plus I have 300 games on Steam, but I'm a Valve hater? Fucking ridiculous.

Diablo 3 probably got less heat for the online requirement because a lot (obviously not all) of people more or less considered Diablo 2 an online game, or not very far from it, likely including a lot of the rabid Diablo 2 fans. Those people were already only playing Diablo 2 online, so it's no real change for them. But then you look at Assassin's Creed and nobody plays it online (or even can) so why do you have to be online to play it?

When Steam began, there was enormous outcry about the requirement. Why shouldn't EA recieve the same? The answer is: because you like to jump Valve's shit and try to make it out like they didn't suffer the same reaction EA is now.

Because it's apparently acceptable now.

News Comments > Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM
73. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 8, 2011, 09:11 briktal

Razumen wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 17:05:
DDI wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 17:02:
Pretty sure he's not indie if he's making multiple games and has sold over 3 million copies.

Sure he is, no one but Notch owns his company or his IPs, I'd say that qualifies as being independent.

Just because they're a successful Indie company doesn't make them less Indie.

Sometimes there's a difference between being independent and being "indie." "Indie" often implies to some degree a smaller company, less popular, not a lot of money or other resources, etc.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
77. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 20:45 briktal

Sepharo wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:37:
Alamar wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:30:
I wonder where all this Valve money goes... They used to do well selling the occasional fairly good game... Now they have more income, and less quality outcome...

Yeah that Portal 2 was a stinker. I expect the same level of god awful shit quality from their upcoming DOTA 2.

It was a notable drop in quality from previous releases. Just about everything they've done since Left 4 Dead has seemed to be about squeezing more and more money out of everyone for little in return.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
44. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 6, 2011, 11:22 briktal

Illumin wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 00:29:
Don't want it don't buy it its worth what ever someone pays for it. People pay 200 bucks for a pair shoes, 5.00 for a cup of coffee now days whats 150?

Hell you have people paying $500+for some max leveled guy in Wow with this months best gear on that will be outdated in 2 months. So you know they are still going to bank on a 150.00 CE.

That explains why the TOR collector's edition sold, since it's at least something you can show off to other people and possibly sell later if you lose interest. But outside of an MMO, I don't know why you'd buy a collector's edition that's more than $10/maybe $20 extra.

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
354. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 2, 2011, 15:13 briktal

Dev wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:39:
Cram wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 03:28:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 03:17:
So if I can install the game and activate it, then "go offline" and never need a net connection again, I will buy the game. Let's hope they confirm that.

Nice to see a blue post about this, and hope it is confirmed. Bash has always been a bit...odd(?) about providing information and I definitely want a confirmation before I completely believe it. Diablo has always been a franchise I love and want everyone else to enjoy, so if this news is confirmed (Bash's post just isn't enough of a confirmation for me) and it is enough to help a few bluesnewsers here reconsider buying it, then awesome.

Obviously if a blizzard dev is complaining about not being able to play diablo on a plane trip on his laptop... its confirmed to NOT be the case.

Link
Diablo 3 will also require a persistent Internet connection, and Blizzard's Rob Pardo agrees that it's kind of a pain in the butt. "I want to play Diablo 3 on my laptop in a plane, but, well, there are other games to play for times like that,"

Well that original blue post was from last year, so things probably changed.

480 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo