Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 481 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG?
23. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 13:45 briktal

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 12:04:
Matshock wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 11:56:
The PC Portal 2 ARG was the biggest waste of spacetime/money

That is where you started to lose me.

The Portal 2 ARG was fine up until the "play these games a lot to maybe speed up the release" part.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit
2. Re: Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit Dec 9, 2011, 11:27 briktal

Optional nickname wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 11:12:
I like that such news articles exist, so I can add more publishers to my BAN LIST, now Namco being another.

Long live CD Projekt Red, Poland, GOG.com

Why would this be a reason to add Namco to your publisher ban list?

News Comments > EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree
22. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 09:12 briktal

CythrawL wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 21:43:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 19:45:
The C&C series would be in a much better spot if EA hadn't shoved one out the door every year.

In fact I will go one further.. its been shit since they (EA) dissolved Westwood Studios..

Bioware will go the same way, mark my words..

I don't know if Bioware would be EA's fault. I mean, they started making console first RPGs well before they were bought by EA.

News Comments > Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games
10. Re: Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games Nov 18, 2011, 16:55 briktal

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:12:
Can they really be blamed for Rogue Warrior? That project had been bounced around for years before Rebellion got their hands on it, by which point the publisher probably just wanted someone to finish development and get it out the door.

I think at least part of the statement is that they shouldn't even pick up games like that: "You’re only as good as the deal you’re offered."

News Comments > Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting
10. Re: Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting Nov 18, 2011, 11:22 briktal

tony wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:11:
Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:09:
Just because they are biased doesn't mean they can't post reviews in my view. Hell, most user reviews are just as biased, being written by either fanboys or haters. They used their real names, so it isn't like they were being sneaky.

This completely. They did not hide who they were therefore there is no controversy.

They didn't use different names than they use online elsewhere, but hell if I know who they are.

Here are the people who have posted 10s for the Xbox version: RightTheWrongs, TheVZA, Tantrad, KillerIri5h, NoBodysGamer and matirishhh. How many people looking at that page would know if one or more of these people were Telltale employees without doing further research?

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
47. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:12 briktal

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 11:09:
I'm not sure if I feel it's the best game in the series yet (I don't like how much they took out, especially in the attributes sections. So every character can now carry 300lbs, and that's it? Strong characters don't get a bonus in carrying? It's just dumbing down for no reason whatsoever. Even the most idiotic MW player can figure out that More Strenght = Carry More. Apparently Bethesda didn't think so.) but I do love Skyrim.

I especially really enjoy the added difficulty. Went to kill a bandit leader somewhere, and got royally RAPED by a Saber Cat on my way there.

Tried to sneak attack a Giant camp, and got turned into Bantha Puddu by a Mammoth.

Tried to climb a mountain and got destroyed by something I didn't even see. One second I'm climbing, the next second I hear some ferocious animal roar and I'm tumbling down the mountain, dead as a doorknob.

Also, I know everyone harped on Oblivion for being too "Generic Fantasy", but at least it was colorful. Skyrim's a bit too much drab green, grey and white for my taste.

But all in all I'm loving it. Still trying to find the Thieves' Guild.

Creston

Increasing your Stamina at level up increases your carrying capacity.

News Comments > Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests"
48. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 14:54 briktal

saluk wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 14:45:
This isn't really the same as randomly generated quests. This is more akin to a slightly more advanced version of Left 4 Deads AI storyteller, where the quests are subtly different for each player. Most of the quests are still created by writers, they just are slightly altered when they "spawn" in your game based on what you have done.

It is indeed very worrying that they just announce this now. No way it will be as great as they want you to think it is, but I don't see a reason to disparage it. If having the bandits randomly put into a bandit camp somewhere because the ai thinks you will find that an interesting spot for it and you haven't had a fight in a while, that's marginally better than if the bandits had been just sitting there awaiting your presence for half the game. At least until the ai makes a bad decision and puts the exact same bandit camp around the next ridge immediately after you just defeated them.

They didn't really just announce it now. This article from April mentions it.

News Comments > On Take On Helicopters DRM; Demo Plans
13. Re: On Take On Helicopters DRM; Demo Plans Nov 9, 2011, 14:40 briktal

Spaced wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 14:28:
Quboid wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 13:56:
Pirates are going to think your game is buggy and neither buy any of your stuff nor recommend it.

Lol, that's funny! They didn't buy the game in the first place and you think they would buy it eventually after stealing it? That's a riot! No loss for the developer there at all, lol. Good riddance to the thief and all their 'friends'.

Plus, who in their right mind would ever accept a recommendation from a pirate? Oh yeah, lets listen to the very people who steal and help spread trojans, viruses, and malware for our PC game recommendations. That's laugh #2!

The problem is, for many people the recommendation wouldn't come from a pirate. They are going to see anonymous posts in a normal forum post or article comment about the issues they are having, or someone who saw such a post might comment on it elsewhere.

News Comments > New BioWare Franchise Reveal Next Month
27. Re: scott@lampert.org Nov 8, 2011, 09:24 briktal

yonder wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 05:09:
I guess I'm just dumbfounded that someone could love ME1 but hate ME2. Now, if they were devout old-school CRPG fans who thought FO3 and New Vegas sucked simply because they didn't have isometric, turn-based combat, that would make sense. However, ME1 and ME2 are not hugely different from one another.

Now *THAT* is a great quote! Too late to change my previous comment, but, oh well. Part of the hate for ME2 is the auto-hate that EA has earned. Personally, I don't consider ME to be a "hardcore" RPG, but I definitely don't think it's an RPG-lite. It's closer to, say, Vampire The Masquerade (is that the proper title? I'm talking about the one that came out right before Half-Life 2) than Diablo or Dungeon Siege on the "barely an RPG - to - hardcorestorydrivenRPG" scale. If Diablo is a 2 and Planescape is a 10 then Mass Effect is a 6.5. And that's fine with me.

What bothered me the most about it is that there really is that The Witcher 2 is mostly the same game as Mass Effect, just with swords instead of guns and choosing between supporting racists/terrorists instead of playing good cop/bad cop. Though TW2 does have a bit more branching. But somehow ME2 is a dumb action game and TW2 is the greatest RPG ever made.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Announcement
10. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Announcement Nov 3, 2011, 11:03 briktal

Hellbinder wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 10:30:
yaaay yet another game that teaches 6-12 year old (and all ages) the sheer enjoyment of being a complete scum sucking thief, violent abuser of innocent people and criminal.

but of course go ahead flame away about your personal right to corrupt your mind with as much filth as possible and how none of these violent games, movies and music children are pumping into there heads for countless hours a day, week and year is having no effect at all on our youth or society.

and don't give me lame excuses about it having an M rating because the years of abuse people have already put in their heads with this trash has already blinded them to any sense of decency on why their 4 year old shouldn't be encouraged to play act out violence on innocent people.

(i know, i know... im an idiot a loser a fool who doesn't know what im talking about,,, meanwhile 12 year old's are pushing shopping carts from 4 stories up an innocent lady and they are laughing and telling jokes to each other about it.)

The thing is, there are a lot of places where people live that have few if any 4+ story buildings. How can a kid drop a cart that far if he can't get that high up? Maybe you should visit a little place we like to call the fact zone before you click the post button next time.

News Comments > More Origin Spyware Accusations
47. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 10:39 briktal

Verno wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 09:05:
briktal wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 08:54:
On the other hand, what important influence does EA theoretically knowing you have program x installed have in the stuff that really matters in their lives?

Come on, you're smarter than this. I don't need to know all of the theoretical possibilities to know that I don't want someone having access to information that they have no right to. Using your logic, if it doesn't matter at all then they don't need to have it in the first place. Where do you draw the line of what matters and doesn't? Would scanning configuration files to figure out user preferences be ok? If they promise to make it "non-identifiable" is it ok if they mine the registry or your browser cookies?

And taking this back to your original statement, where do you draw the line of what matters and doesn't where you would agree to let some company gather all this information in order for you to access something. You say playing a game isn't important enough for you to hand over this info, so what is?

News Comments > WoW Guardian Cub Tradable Pet Available
8. Re: WoW Guardian Cub Tradable Pet Available Nov 2, 2011, 10:33 briktal

Sempai wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 07:06:
Grokk wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 02:39:
Sempai wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 23:58:
To a single character? Is this not going backwards Bliztard?

Honestly what the fuck are you people smoking over there?

Jesus Christ the idiocy/greed of Blizzard is nearing epic proportions.

Yeah, it sucks that everyone must buy one of these to continue playing the game right. What a scam!!

*sigh*

My point being every other wow pet available to purchase on Blizzy's site for $10 bucks a wack is bind on account, but this one is special, it binds to a single toon only, which makes 0 sense..oh wait, it means MORE MONEY!

Yeah, I'm way off base here.

So while I agree with you looking at the big picture, this shit screams greed and fu all over it.

In theory, the pet changes in the exapansion will make this less of an issue. Of course, that's also 6+ months away.

36. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 08:54 briktal

ASeven wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 08:44:
Don't know what's sadder: That people will allow this to happen just to play a game that in the end doesn't have any important influence in the stuff that really matters in their lives, that there are people defending this, or that the way EA tries to justify itself for breaching user's privacy so horribly and treating its users like shit.

On the other hand, what important influence does EA theoretically knowing you have program x installed have in the stuff that really matters in their lives?

32. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 08:15 briktal

So how long do I have to wait until I see Origin scanning my things?  

News Comments > Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology
22. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 13:30 briktal

killer_roach wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 13:17:
Metasparks wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 11:24:
Sincerity at its finest.

Translation: Please don't sue us, please don't picket our offices, please don't start an Internet-wide smear campaign against us...

Amazing is the power of reputational blackmail.

Maybe people should've just done this for the MW2 and L4D2 boycotts.

News Comments > More on World of Darkness
7. Re: More on World of Darkness Oct 28, 2011, 13:28 briktal

I wonder how much they gutted the Atlanta office. It sounded to me like they pulled as many EVE people out of there and over to Iceland as they could.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2011, 16:58 briktal

Tumbler wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 13:20:
And I think reviewers should disclose what they play on for that reason. Or, more likely, reviewers should play on what they feel their audience will play on.

Not sure if it matters but the reviewer wrote a follow up to this:

Blog

To clarify, there are three stages in SideScroller. In both casual and normal mode, when you complete all three stages you unlock the "last stage." So I played through this last stage on both difficulties.

To me it just looks like the devs were furious about getting a 6.5 from IGN and decided to try and make the reviewer look stupid. In the end it makes me think this game is more complicated than it's worth. Stages don't unlock on easy mode? There is no ending unless you play it on normal? There is an ending? Bah.

This is not a good way to get people to buy your game and Pixeljunk ends up looking unprofessional.

Wonder what others gave this...checking metacritic...oh my. IGN is the only review. Moving on.

There are three basic explanations. One is what you said. A second is that the reviewer did only play it on casual but maybe replayed it on normal after this blew up. The other is similar to the first, but the dev is instead upset that the reviewer wasn't impressed by the "epic ending sequence."

9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2011, 11:23 briktal

Beamer wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 11:11:
Verno wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 11:09:
briktal wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 11:03:
The IGN thing sounds like a minor issue with one point in a review was twisted into pretty standard small-guy sympathy marketing. Who is supposed to be the bad guy in this?

Uhhhh IGN? Did you read the quoted text? If he had criticized them for not making a better Casual difficulty playthrough then that would be one thing but he said they omitted having a final stage, the developer corrected him and he lied about it saying he did complete it on Normal. After all that he edited his review to remove the text where he made the assertion. So yeah while I'm not going to go run out and buy their game or host a pity party it seems pretty clear cut IGN fucked up here.

Yeah. Playing the game on casual? Not too big of a deal. Having to amend the review because you played it on casual? Not too big of a deal, especially if the game withholds content from casual players without letting them know.

Lying about playing on casual? Big deal.
Amending a review without a "correction" statement explaining why it was amended, particularly if fessing up to a mistake? Big deal.

The reviewer made two huge mistakes that turn nothing into something.

To really know how big a deal the playing on casual thing was, I'd need to see exactly what the ending thing is. I can't tell if it's a whole level or just a cutscene or what from the discussion. But it's hard to put all the blame for this on the reviewer when you have the developer on twitter saying "Your review is inaccurate, there is a better ending if you play on normal" then "Oh my god you removed the inaccurate part of the review that is so unprofessional."

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2011, 11:03 briktal

The IGN thing sounds like a minor issue with one point in a review was twisted into pretty standard small-guy sympathy marketing. Who is supposed to be the bad guy in this?  

News Comments > EA: Syndicate Remake Possible
21. Re: EA: Syndicate Remake Possible Oct 25, 2011, 10:25 briktal

DedEye wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 08:47:
I wonder why there appears to be so much resistance to isometeric turn based strategy? Some of the best games in history are in this format.

Why bring up that genre when Syndicate is only one of those three?

481 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo