Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 476 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Security
13. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Security May 22, 2012, 23:06 briktal

Creston wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:40:
Yeah, hackers have just managed to brute force thousands of people's of passwords all in one week. There's nothing else going on, just pure sheer luck.

According to the blizzard fanboys, these people all have keyloggers on their system, and every one of them with an authenticator is lying.

That forum seriously makes Bioware's forum look reserved and sensible.

Creston

They were probably hacked weeks/months ago during beta, but had nothing to steal until D3 came out.

Many people who say they were hacked with authenticators were said to be lying by Blizzard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 21:12 briktal

deqer wrote on May 19, 2012, 21:03:
Oh, and like that one guy said:
"This game is just running on reputation. Does not deserve the Diablo title."

Yup.

It's the only reason Blizzard could get away with something like this. Any other title they try this with, and people would be like "Nah."

But it's "Diablo 3", and Blizzard knew you'd all bite into it regardless of what Blizzard had in mind for you and the game.

It's sad that so many people bought into this; and it's more sad that they try to defend themselves about it--telling themselves "No! I'm not a fool! ... It's Diablo 3! It's awesome!!!"--and bitching at anyone who doesn't agree.

Welp, have fun leasing your Diablo 3. lulz.

No, if it wasn't Diablo 3, nobody would care that it requires you to be online. People are mad about it because the previous games in the series had an offline mode.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 19:36 briktal

Why didn't everyone flip out about Guild Wars not having offline single player? Aside from everyone being too busy arguing if it should be called an MMORPG or not. There's no real reason why GW couldn't have a separate offline mode, but it didn't and everyone was fine with that.  

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2012, 14:38 briktal

Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:41:
briktal wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:37:
What really makes the always-online DRM debate with Diablo 3 difficult is that a significant portion of the playerbase considers Diablo 2/3 to be an online game.

Which is fine. I perfectly understand that a large number of the people who bought D3 never played D2 or 1 single player, and always grouped in it.

But there's still a difference between a game being multiplayer, and a game having to stream every single thing over your internet connection just for you to be able to play.

Creston

Sure, but instead of the debate being between Pro-Online people and Pro-Offline people, it's between the Pro-Online, Pro-Offline and The Game Was Already Online people.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2012, 11:37 briktal

Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:40:
Everyone is proving Blizzard right that they WILL put up with all kinds of horseshit.

"Yeah, online single-player is ridiculous, but... it's Diablo!"
"Man, their engine sucks, but... it's Diablo!"
"Always-on DRM is the scourge of gaming, and I'll never support a dev who does that! Oh, it's Diablo!"

When major devs start going this way, thank all of you who bought Diablo 3 for bending over and taking it up the ass from Blizzard, and paving the way for probably a majority of games in the future to be made in this (totally fucking worthless) way. Kudos!

And this is bullshit too :

Even so, in the long run, Diablo probably won’t be the big problem here. It’s the next wave of “always connected” games that we need to worry about – the one’s that attempt to follow its lead. So stay angry. Keep demanding an offline option, if nothing else.

Well, we accepted it for Diablo. But when the next game requires us to be always online, then we should get really angry, and tell them we won't accept it!

Unless it's something shiny we really want to play. Then it's okay.

Creston

What really makes the always-online DRM debate with Diablo 3 difficult is that a significant portion of the playerbase considers Diablo 2/3 to be an online game.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter
19. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter May 9, 2012, 09:31 briktal

Beamer wrote on May 9, 2012, 00:25:
I still say they're track record over the past decade is enough to make me no way in hell pay for this now, even if Carmageddon is one of my most beloved demos and, at the time of release, I made several friends annoyed by not shutting up about how this was one of my all time favorite games.

I think I have less faith in "aging" game developers making a new game than I do in aging bands releasing a new album.

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 15:29 briktal

Prez wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:57:
Tumbler wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:47:
Here's the test for a bubble:
1) Are people spending lots of money?
2) Is the money being spent someone foolishly, without much due diligence or regard for how reasonable the promised returns are?
3) If the promises don't come true, will people become much stingier?

Again, two sides of the coin.

For Kickstarter stuff:
1) No.
2) No.
3) Maybe.

For AAA $60 stuff:
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

I don't know how many kickstarter projects have fan boys but a lot of the companies that make AAA games do and I'm pretty sure those guys don't do a lot of due diligence before they run in screaming, "TAKE MY MONEY!"

Exactly. The vast majority of kickstarter backers are risking only a fraction of what they blew on Dragon Age 2 before finding out it was crap. Yet according to the kickstarter phenomenon naysayers, we're in for some terrible cataclysmic loss if a few ill-conceived projects fall on their face as if there's no risk in buying at retail. The sky isn't falling if you lose 15 or 20 bucks on a bad project or two any more than it is when you buy a $60 "AAA" game and finish it after 5 mediocre hours. A bit of perspective is in order.

I think the number of people paying into the higher tiers might drop off in the future of Kickstarter though.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
70. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 19:15 briktal

Undocumented Alien wrote on May 7, 2012, 16:35:
  • No more "mana" ball (in regards to a potion for it), now a kill "charge up" to fill... wtf?

• Witch Doctors have traditional mana, high max mp/slow recharge. Barbarians and monks have a build up resource, wizards have a low max/fast recharge power and demon hunters have both a fast recharge and a slow recharge power with the fast one used for attacks and the slow one used for defense.

I'm not concerned about the always online stuff because when I bought D2 I played it for an hour or two offline then looked at the online stuff and wondered why I'd ever want to play it offline.

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
    35. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 4, 2012, 09:22 briktal

Another GW2 clone?  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year
    29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:10 briktal

Quboid wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:39:
    I really hope this doesn't compromise their single player games.

Well you saw what it did to Skyrim...

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
    21. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 26, 2012, 16:24 briktal

Slashman wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 15:49:
    I tried the first Torchlight on a friend's system when I was repairing it and I really just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

It didn't do anything significantly better than Titan Quest IMO. And it lacked a lot of the character building and interesting skill trees than TQ had.

The setting was generic and it just plain reminded me of Fate. I played through several levels just to see if I was missing something significant and realized that I wasn't

I do like the fact that these guys(a small indie company) are making stuff that sells, I just don't get what was so great about it.

The lack of co-op wasn't a problem for me...the game not being very interesting was the problem.

The cutesy pets and the fishing just seemed like distractions from the fact that its a generic, dungeon-crawling hack&slash game. Not particularly challenging or interesting story-wise.

Torchlight 2 may very well be a better game, but I'm definitely going to wait and see before I buy it. So a pre-order is out of the question.

Isn't Torchlight basically Fate + Mythos?

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration
    28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 10:04 briktal

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:30:
    StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 00:29:
    Can't play this until June. Really eager to see if the ending is as bad as all the fucking press coverage makes it seem.

It's pretty rare to see the critics and fans so united in their displeasure, it is objectively bad in many regards. I'm a huge fan of the ME series, it's had many problems over the years but its very engrossing and seemingly aspired to a different story telling method. All of that goes into the tank with the ending. It's poorly edited, a lot of the occurrences make no sense, it discards the themes of choice and comradery built over the series. It's a damned shame because ME3 is otherwise an excellent title, even the horde mode style MP is alright.

It would be one thing if it was well written and the cutscene cohesion made sense but fans just didn't like it. I've played many games where I didn't like the ending, I'm sure others have too. Endings are one of those things no one does well because there is little money in it.

This fan effort is just silly though, it will make no difference.

I thought the "critics" said it was wonderful and appropriate and art and that anyone who didn't like it is an entitled baby who just wants a happy Hollywood ending? Or has the game been out long enough that they can step away from their 10/10 reviews and talk about how much they disliked the ending and how it ruined everything?

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
    24. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 16:14 briktal

PHJF wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 15:40:
    Not sure if stress testers had access to the beta forums or not, but there was a post not too long ago that said Nightmare and Hell difficulty will ramp up obscenely, and that crowd control will be essential to defeating them.

Easier said than done. Crowd control comes at the expense of damage dealt, and damage not being dealt is time being wasted. Diablo is not an MMO and they'll be infuriating a lot of people if they turn boss runs into raid-like affairs that are impossible to solo and that take hours to complete.

Diablo has been/should always be about killing gobs of monsters in quick fashion.

Well, part of it is also not dying.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Patched
    23. Re: Legend of Grimrock Patched Apr 20, 2012, 14:53 briktal

Beamer wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 13:44:
    Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 09:35:
    pressing ESC closes character sheet

Nice, that one was bugging me.

Yeah, drove me nuts. This game should need the mouse as little as possible.

Good fix.

You could close it by pressing the appropriate shortcut key again. Which mostly resulted in hitting 1 two or three times to close the window.

News Comments > Op Ed
    19. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2012, 07:11 briktal

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 05:08:
    A bubble is when people put money in and expect returns before anyone that ever put money in got ever an return.

Also a LOT of people put more than 15$ in.....

by the way, why do Americans put the $ before the number? Are you not reading symbols literal? When say 15 dollars I type 15$ ! You would not normally say dollars 15 ... would you?

Makes no sense. so 15$ it is ;p

I don't know, blame England for that?

One of my concerns is with the "revival" Kickstarters, because game developers seem to age poorly.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2012, 15:18 briktal

Blue wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 14:10:
    AnointedSword wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 12:52:
    Ya, the true meaning of Easter has nothing to do with the secular world...Does Blue always post on here or does someone else? I really do not see Blue using this terminology? It is like smacking Christians in the face...

Sorry, simply an error, one that may seem surprising, but I've always had to consciously not get that backwards.

Not sure how it would be interpreted as an insult, however. Seems to me you are being a little sensitive.

Anyway, apologies for the stupid mistake.

You should've stuck by your initial artistic vision instead of giving in to the demands.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Weekend Underway
    7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Weekend Underway Apr 6, 2012, 13:04 briktal

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 12:50:
    Linthat22 wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 11:42:
    I mean, is it just me or did something happen with Bioware?

EA Games happened. What surprises me is that people saw EA buy them out, and it didn't occur to everyone that Bioware was no longer in charge of their own studio. Now we see the results. Despite what the good Doctor says, the buyout drastically changed Bioware. And not for the best....

Maybe Bioware just can't be trusted with their own IP.

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
    90. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:57 briktal

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:50:
    EricFate wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:37:
    But will the extended cut scenes be properly color coded?

Here's a screenshot of the new ending.

Creston

I like this one better.

80. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:00 briktal

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:52:
    Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:43:
    Uh you do see humans merge with synthetics. Watch the synthesis ending again.

To be sure I didn't miss anything I watched it again on youtube. Reapers take off just like blue ending, green energy spreads, Joker and EDI walk out of Normandy looking normal. No shots of any people changing form or looking different. What part are you referring to?

You didn't notice Joker's cyborg hat?

Also what the hell does that even mean?

46. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:56 briktal

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:30:
    And read the PA link. The entire game is the ending to the trilogy.

Serious question: how often do people think this? Not just for Mass Effect but for other trilogies.

476 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 7.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo