Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 479 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
16. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:20 briktal

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:48:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:28:
Finally started playing this, about 7 hours in right now. Will be very interested in seeing the original ending that pissed everyone off, so I haven't downloaded the DLC. People seem to think said ending ruins 3 amazing games worth of content and by itself is an example of Bioware's plummeting stock, so... will be interesting.

I thought ME3 was the best game in the series and I don't think the endings by themselves "ruin" anything. That said they definitely put a big damper on what was an interesting attempt at having a story built through player choice.

I hope you don't just play the contrarian role here and actually weigh it without automatically opposing whatever the internet at large thought. I will have to dig up some of my old posts, I wrote up some pretty lengthy teardowns of endings.

You really think three highly successful games are ruined for his resume because of the ending complaints on forums?

I think he was referring to internal dissent about the writing team being precluded from working on the ending. That was also the area of the game everyone had a problem with, the rest of the game has received nothing but accolades.

I don't think the rest of the game is quite that good. A lot of the minor issues that would normally fill the discussion about the game get ignored because the ending was so bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear
17. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 26, 2012, 20:18 briktal

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 19:49:
Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 19:39:
Blizzard's method of balancing is just completely nuts.

"This is too strong. It needs to be lower."

*power or ability gets nerfed by 100%*

"Oh, people are complaining about it. I guess we need to adjust it back up a little."

*adjust it back up by 50%*

It's like they don't even understand the concept of taking small steps to adjust something. It's no wonder they keep patching and "balancing" shit for a dozen years, because that's how long it takes with their methods...

Creston
And one year later its back to where it was before the nerfs.
I was sick of it in WoW, saw it once in Diablo 3 and pulled the brake.
I thought about selling my stuff over the RMAH, but then I realized Blizzard would get more money through me, if I did that. So I just uninstalled it.

You realize they did stuff like that with the 21 patches released for Diablo 2, right?

Also, and I don't know why they didn't make a bigger announcement about it, but they removed the level/progress restrictions for digital purchases.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Brevity - Huh? Jun 25, 2012, 10:36 briktal

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 10:25:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 10:23:
OK, I'm confused. What does the 25-Jun Brevity mean?

Is the guard afraid he's gonna strip? Is that supposed to be a rock star? Does this have something to do with a news item I'm not following?

I'm assuming it has to do with that stupid assed jersey shore bullshit...? (FWIW, I didn't find it funny.)

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's The Situation from Jersey Shore. And he's going up an escalator. The joke is...pretty rough.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Gamefly Client Jun 22, 2012, 16:53 briktal

jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 16:44:
1. Wow, copy Steam much?

Maybe I don't use the right Steam layout but...that doesn't look anything like Steam.

News Comments > Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change
22. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 16:48 briktal

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 15:34:
MacLeod wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 15:03:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:34:
And conveniently, the forum topic from yesterday where they announced this has been deleted, so you can't read where they plainly stated these "unintended consequences" were a part of the deal.

Google Cache is your friend.

Oh I know it's still out there, all the news places quoted it and whatnot, but deleting it (and burying hundreds of angry posts, I'm sure) is a desperate PR damage control move that only incriminates them further.

It was a locked, stickied one post announcement/information thread from a support guy. It was replaced by a similar thread from a CM. They have three options: edit the original post, add another post in the thread, or create a new thread. The first and third choices are basically the same (the original wording is gone) and the second is confusing. This part of it isn't anything to get worked up about.

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
13. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:50 briktal

NKD wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:45:
LgFriess wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:41:
Note to self... never trust a former professional athlete to run a multi-million dollar company. There may be just a SMALL chance he won't know what he's doing and the company will struggle.

They should have started small, made the mistakes they were bound to make, learned from them, and grew.

It's a fairly common mistake when someone comes from a lot of success in one field and tries another. They feel like they should be able to compete in the big leagues. Actors who try to sing. Singers who try to act. Basketball legends who try to play baseball. Baseball players who try to manage a company.

They definitely made a mistake by putting so much on the line and going so big so early. With the amount of money they had, they could have gotten their company and name established with far less risk before trying big expensive projects.

It's not just that they feel like they should be able to compete, it's also that they are given the opportunity.

News Comments > Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change
5. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 12:53 briktal

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:41:
All they needed to do was restrict use of the auction house and prevent weapons from being traded / exchanged (i.e. stop the player from picking up dropped weapons). There was no need to stop players from matchmaking, levelling up or progressing in the game.

I'm glad that Blizzard is making changes but how the hell did they think such a change was going to be received? They come across as a bunch of headless chickens. As I've said before, Blizzard's security precautions are woefully lacking and nonsense like this doesn't make them look any more credible.

Well the chat restricts are for gold spam. But yeah, it really shouldn't have the level/progression cap. WoW basically does the same thing, without the level cap.

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
94. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 11:24 briktal

Verno wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 11:11:
Yeah I feel like the whole fraud defense isn't really much of one. Steam, Origin and other services have to deal with this sort of criminal activity on a daily basis. Blizzard themselves had to deal with it in WoW pretty much from the start.

They deal with it in WoW by doing the exact same thing, except it removes the level restriction. Other services can get away with it more because those issues aren't as common or as big of a deal. There's no flood of fraudulent HL2 or ME3 purchases from botters who will use the account for a day or two then make another. Maybe you'd get some people doing that to hack in an online FPS/RTS or something. But even then, that's just one game that gets a little hurt, but everything else is fine. For Blizzard, Diablo 3 is one of their three current games.

81. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 10:52 briktal

Asmodai wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 09:55:
briktal wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 09:23:
Though actually they have said here that the level 13/skeleton king restrictions on "unintended" and they hope to remove them later. Which I'm assuming to mean they wanted to push out the other restrictions but didn't have enough time to implement just the set of restrictions they want so they went with the Starter Edition.

Bullshit. There was no way this patch could land with that restriction included and no one notice. Unintended my ass, it was perfectly intended as a stop gap because they can't figure out why their perfect online solution was fucked, and now the backlash is so bad they are crapping themselves and will say anything to try and get out of accepting blame.

"Unintended" in that they don't want that restriction in place long-term, but they knew it would be out there now.

The WoW trial->full upgrade also takes up to 72 hours to remove all the restrictions, though the level cap is raised immediately. However, it doesn't have a RMAH so nobody cares.

65. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 09:23 briktal

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 09:02:
This will be the last Blizzard product I ever buy unless they completely change the way they're approaching this stuff in the future. If the only way to protect your RMAH is to restrict paying customers to demo mode for 3 days, then you failed at properly designing and securing your RMAH and that's what should be taken away until it can be fixed.

They should put in some restrictions that prevent all these spam/bot accounts paid for with bad/stolen credit cards from spamming or affecting the economy.

Though actually they have said here that the level 13/skeleton king restrictions on "unintended" and they hope to remove them later. Which I'm assuming to mean they wanted to push out the other restrictions but didn't have enough time to implement just the set of restrictions they want so they went with the Starter Edition.

It was almost certainly, in that scenario, a bad idea to put it out there with the level/progression restriction. People might understand if it takes a day or two to get access to chat and the AH on a new purchase, but not restricting it to the Skeleton King. I mean, realistically, you'll hit that wall pretty quick. You can go without chat forever and the AH for a while without missing much.

52. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 08:40 briktal

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 08:36:
DiaRMAHblo 3. Everything for the RMAH... Blizzard is dead.

Yeah this is a real nightmare they got going on and it's the fastest selling pc game ever.

Only because the brand name "Diablo" is on the box. Otherwise, because of the always on requirement, this game would have been DOA.

What are all these things designed just to push the RMAH people keep talking about?

50. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 08:35 briktal

Would this look better or worse if you couldn't play at all until the payments cleared, instead of getting the trial version until then?  

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans
21. Re: Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans Jun 21, 2012, 08:41 briktal

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 15:05:
briktal wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 14:55:
Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:53:
Dades wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:44:
Never had a chance to play this, what was the general consensus around here?

General consensus around here is overwhelmingly positive. One of those rare games almost everyone here loves.

I did not love it. I found it an awful combination of FPS and old school dungeon crawler, like taking the worst parts of Zork, Nethack and Doom and throwing them into a pot. Every wall looks the same, you can only move in cardinal directions (it's tile based), combat is real time but turn based, and you find some things by mouse looking. I found combat annoying, I found the dungeons dull, and I really hated that I was in first person but had to move a tile at a time.

I'd prefer playing Zork, Nethack or Doom.

There is a set of "old school dungeon crawlers" more or less exactly like it already, so they didn't really create a genre by mashing up some old games. And I think that was one of the keys to the success/positive reaction to the game. It was a very simple, focused indie made modern version of an existing, well-defined genre. About as close as the "Game X with better graphics" many fans of classics wish for. A lot of people went into it knowing exactly what to expect, and it delivered that. Grimrock also avoided the biggest problem these kinds of genre remakes have because it is such a simple game. That prevents almost all of the "well it didn't have x..." or "back in the day y worked like this..." complaints as well. Picking a genre that has been dead for 20 years didn't hurt either.

Oh, I agree, though none of the dungeon crawlers I played were quite like this (it moved closer to FPS, while still limiting you.)

And I didn't like it. I'm all for reviving old genres, but dislike doing so without getting rid of the old warts. Sticking me on a tile, and keeping me with kind of turn based kind of real time combat just isn't fun to me. It was that way due to technical limitations back then. Now that we're no longer limited I'd prefer more freedom of movement and freedom of combat. It feels, to me, like remaking X-COM and still making you do base defenses where only 3 of your guys have clips because everyone else is holding an empty heavy plasma.

I'd say that for these games, going from tile movement to free movement would be more like remaking X-COM and instead of using TUs, using a move and shoot system.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans
11. Re: Legend of Grimrock Editor and Follow-up Plans Jun 20, 2012, 14:55 briktal

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:53:
Dades wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:44:
Never had a chance to play this, what was the general consensus around here?

General consensus around here is overwhelmingly positive. One of those rare games almost everyone here loves.

I did not love it. I found it an awful combination of FPS and old school dungeon crawler, like taking the worst parts of Zork, Nethack and Doom and throwing them into a pot. Every wall looks the same, you can only move in cardinal directions (it's tile based), combat is real time but turn based, and you find some things by mouse looking. I found combat annoying, I found the dungeons dull, and I really hated that I was in first person but had to move a tile at a time.

I'd prefer playing Zork, Nethack or Doom.

There is a set of "old school dungeon crawlers" more or less exactly like it already, so they didn't really create a genre by mashing up some old games. And I think that was one of the keys to the success/positive reaction to the game. It was a very simple, focused indie made modern version of an existing, well-defined genre. About as close as the "Game X with better graphics" many fans of classics wish for. A lot of people went into it knowing exactly what to expect, and it delivered that. Grimrock also avoided the biggest problem these kinds of genre remakes have because it is such a simple game. That prevents almost all of the "well it didn't have x..." or "back in the day y worked like this..." complaints as well. Picking a genre that has been dead for 20 years didn't hurt either.

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
47. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 15, 2012, 09:15 briktal

Viper114 wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 21:47:
Yeah, I figured this would happen. Frankly, it seems the only MMO that can last with a subscription model is WoW, and no other MMO really has the ability to copy that no matter how hard they try.

Now if only they could realize this with the Warhammer MMO and just make it completely free to play...

Here's the issue: a lot of people have played or continue to play WoW. If they no longer play, then a competing MMO will need to address the problems that made them quit WoW, which few do. If they currently play WoW, the competing MMO will have to offer enough incentives so that the person will give up all they have done in WoW (progress, accomplishments, friends, etc) to play the new game. Making a WoW clone is generally a bad way to go about doing this.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes
16. Re: Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes Jun 7, 2012, 09:49 briktal

panbient wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 06:31:
The Pyro wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:46:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:36:
No mention of interface changes yet?

For a game that's been in development for more than a decade I would certainly hope the interface was ironed out by now.

You would think so but how hard would it have been to implement a 2nd loadout for skills and weapons (kind of exactly like how you could have 2 weapon sets equipped in Diablo 2...)

Or maybe making potions auto-pick up.

Or better yet... how about making the Gems and Crafting Pages any other colour besides white when they drop.

Or maybe an option to not even display loot below a certain level. I think it gets kind of annoying to have to dump out white and grey loot I accidentally picked up while trying to collect gems and potions.

Nothing of what I just suggested is overly complicated nor hasn't already been done in either Diablo 2 or any of its derivatives.

From the AMA they did on reddit yesterday, they are planning on making potions/gems/pages a different color and also looking at adding options to filter out white/grey items.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2012, 13:00 briktal

Tumbler wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 12:38:
Anyone else feel like "Gaming" has crossed a line into stupidity with this E3? (I don't mean Kinect/Motion/Wii U) I was still into a lot of what I saw last year but since then the road has seemed pretty rough (3DS, Vita, DRM escalating, DLC crap) and after watching bits and pieces of the MS and EA press conferences I just read highlights of Ubi's and didn't even both with Nintendo's. At this point is feels like the industry (AAA gaming industry and uses EA to present big titles) is turning into a used car salesman. All these games seem all too familiar. It's like no one thinks they have to try anything new and we'll just line up to buy copies of older games with a new coat of polish.

Thank God for Kickstarter and Indies. I'm far more satisfied with spending money in that area than I am with AAA gaming currently.

I think some of that is the nature of console lifecycles.

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Details
25. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 14:54 briktal

Darks wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:20:
Tumbler wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 10:19:
Maybe this will surprise us like prey 2 did...hahah haahhaha...ah no.

Yea and look where Prey 2 is at now. Not finished and its status unknown.

The problem with this game is that itís going to be on the Xbox, so it will be pg13. They wonít be allowed to make it as dark as we would like for it to be. So it will ultimately end up being an epic fail.

Most big "action" AAA games are M rated, unlike movies which aim for PG-13.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
113. Re: Diablo III Patch May 30, 2012, 08:35 briktal

Quinn wrote on May 30, 2012, 01:39:
My friend's Launcher decided the game was up to date. His game didn't. He couldn't play. Minutes later, his launcher decided to completely reinstall/download Diablo 3 on another partition. After that, his game decided that his Hardcore character was DEAD!!!

I logged out together with him, in town. Trust me when I say his char shouldn't be dead. We both posted a ticket. Pray for us that we won't get a patronizing and apathetic "you've been warned before you started Hardcore mode" reply from Blizzard. He's the victim here. We both are since we only play together.

Fuck.

Are you sure he was logged into the correct region? I think there was an issue if you had the EU launcher but played on the US region the launcher wouldn't patch the game but without the patch you couldn't play in the US region. Regardless, that setting should be more visible.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
4. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 22:33 briktal

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on May 29, 2012, 22:30:
So what was changed to make it compliant?

It looks like it includes all the DLC.

479 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo