Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The_Pink_Tiger

Real Name The_Pink_Tiger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 31, 2008, 00:33
Total Comments 41 (Suspect)
User ID 54666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition
9. Re: Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition Mar 5, 2014, 20:13 The_Pink_Tiger

I'm all for a Homeworld remake. Aside from improved graphics and compatibility, I just want two things:

- Some tweaks to the game balance, so I don't end up losing the game because I didn't gather enough resources six or seven missions back. This was an annoying problem with the original (less so in Cataclysm and Homeworld 2)

- A return of the first-person view introduced in Cataclysm. I loved attaching it to one of the fighters and watching them dogfight; next best thing to actually flying the ship itself. It was sadly absent from Homeworld 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jan 20, 2014, 23:33 The_Pink_Tiger

I definitely fall into the second category (experience) and describes my gameplay well.

Myself as well.

I often refer to this as my "PacMan versus Colossal Caves" argument because those tend to be one of the earlier examples of where games divided itself into the two camps; it has all been iterations on those two extremes since then.

For those of you who love to challenge yourself against an opponent - be it the AI or another player - more power to you and have fun. Just don't assume - as did the author of the article above - that everybody wants the same and that greater difficulty will be appreciated by all gamers.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 20, 2014, 20:27 The_Pink_Tiger

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

There are two types of gamers:
1) people who play games for the challenge
2) people who play games for what I term "the experience"

Both look for different things from the game. Challenge-oriented gamers tend to place less importance on the production values (graphics, sound, story, characters, pacing); they are more interested in AI, level design, and balance. "Experience"-oriented gamers tend to focus more on the story, environments and how immersive is the game. Neither group are playing the game wrong and - except for the most hardcore - there is usually a good deal of overlap between the two.

But each type of gamer has a tendency towards certain genres. For instance, challenge-focused gamers tend to appreciate multiplayer shooter more; their experience counterparts look at those as being particularly shallow. Meanwhile, immersive roleplaying games tend not to attract hordes of gamers interested in a challenge, since the AI is usually insufficiently difficult and there is too much "pointless" talking and faffing about for their tastes.

Problems appear when developers try to satisfy the needs of both groups simultaneously (or marketing tries to attract the wrong crowd). Then you end up with people complaining that "Brothers A Tale of Two Sons" is not "difficult" enough, or that "Planetside 2" is "shallow and repetitive". But making the puzzles harder in the former or adding an engaging story in the latter would do nothing to improve either game and would probably be detrimental to those game's existing strengths.

Not every game has to suit the needs of every gamer. You want a hard game, there are plenty of games to suit your needs. Other people just want to wander the landscape and enjoy the setting without a continual stream of mechanistic and immersion-breaking gates of boss battles and the like.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 21:50 The_Pink_Tiger

A Star Wars... in December?

Star Wars movies are released on Memorial Day weekend, at the end of May. It's, like, a law. Does Disney not understand Star Wars at all?!?!11?!

But really, meh. I'm still a huge geek for the original trilogy and can even bestir myself for some of the extended universe stuff but the prequels made me wary and Disney's purchase of the license (and JJ "Lets Add More Lens-flare!" Abrams involvement) pretty much killed my interest in the new movies. So release it as a Halloween movie for all I care.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 24, 2013, 18:52 The_Pink_Tiger

Yeah, I gotta say that being able to record gameplay with a hardware encoder and hopefully no performance hit would be pretty sweet.

According to the article, there is a 10-20% performance hit. Honestly, it's about the same I see using FRAPs recording at 1080p

And while the last 20-minute feature is neat, it's a functionality, not optimization issue.

This software isn't that impressive and the only reason nvidia is limiting it to a particular subset of hardware is for marketing, not engineering issues.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 23, 2013, 20:20 The_Pink_Tiger

It amuses me that ShadowPlay, which has the same functionality as programs I've been using since my Voodoo3 days, only works with the newest GeForce cards (600 & 700s). That's some quality optimizations there, nvidia!

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Clan Creation Begins
2. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Clan Creation Begins Oct 11, 2013, 20:24 The_Pink_Tiger

You know how people are always bitching about how console games are ported late - or not at all - to the PC?

With the Call of Duty games, I'm doing the opposite; I'm hoping they just skip the PC entirely. I think we'd all be better off.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Launches
26. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 19, 2013, 09:16 The_Pink_Tiger

As I said, I went into MWO knowing it was an online game, despite my overall preference for for single-player. I was hardly expecting a full-fledged (or any) campaign; I knew what the game was about. However, if all you have are online games, then it's online games you play. But even with the best of intentions, MWO had little appeal to me. This was in direct comparison to MW:Living Legends which, although also an online-only game, was far more interesting.

And basically, if the majority of the game revolves around blowing up other players, even if there are nominal objectives, I call it deathmatch. And although I'm sure we could have fascinating arguments about semantics, nonetheless it essentially still is deathmatch, even if there are specific varieties now. Put in a co-op mode like Left4Dead and then I'll broaden my description of MWO or MW:LL but not before ;-)

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Launches
22. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 19:25 The_Pink_Tiger

I am pretty much of the same opinion.

Now admittedly, I am far (far, far, far, far, FAR*) more interested in a Mech game that has a competent single-player campaign than another iteration of deathmatch, but you know how it is; beggars can't be choosers, right? So I investigated MWO, hoping to find an easement to that chronic itch to ride a hundred-ton, laser-spewing bipedal battle-tank across interstellar battlefields.

But what I found failed to impress me. It felt shallow and dull, with too many tacky attempts at monetization. I suppose for hard-core fans of mech deathmatch there is some appeal, but there was none for me. And judging by the news coming out of the project the past few months, I am not the only one to feel that way.

On the other hand, Mechwarrior Living Legends is looking very nice. Sure, it too is multiplayer deathmatch only but it has much more variety (mechs, tanks and elementals) and the play looks more inviting. It's still not the holy grail of mech-based gaming we have all been waiting, but it is much closer than the abomination MWO has become.

News Comments > Space Engineers Announced
12. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 23:07 The_Pink_Tiger

It looks interesting, and maybe even fun. I might pick it up. But their harping on the world "realistic" bugs me because there's little real about this interpretation of space travel. Of course, that's probably for the best - space is mostly empty dullness and that rarely makes for interesting gameplay - but this game is "inspired by reality" about as much as Doom was.

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
76. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 28, 2013, 16:45 The_Pink_Tiger

Popularity doesn't grow on trees ya know.

Unless it's a poplar.

Sorry, sorry, I'll go back to lurking in the shadows.

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
37. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 25, 2013, 19:26 The_Pink_Tiger

Dacron wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 15:49:

Quinn wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 15:45:
I, for one, am not that sure GTAV will come out to PC. To me, it's abundantly clear that RS has something against the PC. I'm sure they cursed the PC and it's community for the issues and complaints GTAIV had and got, ie.

Must be the obscene amount of piracy. I mean I only have GTA, GTA 2, GTA 3, GTA: VC, GTA: SA, GTA 4 on my steam account. PC users just aren't consumers with $ to spend.

And Max Payne 3 last year.

On the other hand...

Still no Red Dead Redemption, and while they released L.A. Noire, support for that title was dropped like a rock.

I think it's likely GTA5 will come out for PC too, but I don't think it's a given "Well, of course!" I bet there was a lot of debate about it at Rockstar...

I suppose it's too much to hope for an Amiga port? I mean, c'mon Rockstar (aka, DMA Design), remember your roots! ;-)

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?
49. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 20:04 The_Pink_Tiger

I really don't think there are any single player games where GFWL requires an online connection, you just have to make an offline profile for each game (an option that's easy to miss).

Bulletstorm required an online profile. You could not play without it.

Fortunately, most GFW games allow offline play. But not all of them.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 12, 2013, 20:35 The_Pink_Tiger

If your computer was down for maintenance or there was a power outage, you wouldn't be able to use Office 365 either ;-)

I've myself have also never had an issue preventing me from using Office (MS/Star/Open/Libre/whatever) so long as the computer itself was functioning. Office suites tend to be one of the most stable applications I've own (my internet, on the other hand, is significantly more flakey).

And $100 per year sounds good at first, until I either compare it to free offerings or to regular MS Office suites, which cost $300 up front but tend not to be replaced before five or six years...

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jul 25, 2013, 19:29 The_Pink_Tiger

Futhermore:

Anyway, I can safely say that there didnít seem to be any interest in resurrecting the franchise when I was still at Monolith/WB as of last year

really should be "there didn't seem to be any interest in resurrecting the franchise" /by the suits/" because there's a hell of a lot of interest in the franchise by the players.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 23, 2013, 20:02 The_Pink_Tiger

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any government attempt to use Kinect for snooping.

I think the more important thing to take away from this is that Microsoft has just admitted that the hardware /can/ be used for snooping. It wasn't a given. There are ways to ensure that data captured by the camera and microphone do not pass out of the console, or -if it does - not without the specific consent of the user. The device could be engineered with those safeguards.

But Microsoft has just said they haven't done so. All our fears have been validated.

Good job, Microsoft, both for the fact that you built the system that way and that you openly admitted it. That takes balls.

News Comments > The War Z Name Change
10. Re: The War Z Name Change Jun 19, 2013, 19:56 The_Pink_Tiger

I played the game a few days ago; I grabbed it when it was on sale on Steam, mostly to see if it really was as much of a trainwreck as everybody said.

The gameplay itself is actually quite solid, which is not too surprising since it is an obvious rip-off of DayZ. In some regards, I actually enjoyed WarZ more than DayZ; the engine rendered more smoothly and it wasn't quite as newb-unfriendly.

On the other hand, WarZ has a /lot/ of rough edges that make it a very unpleasant experience to play. From the fact that I had to click through four different EULAs, or that some controls could not be rebound without restarting the game, or that I couldn't even figure out how to switch to a new weapon, not to mention the obvious pay-to-win monetizations of the product. And don't get me started on the idiotic one-hour cooldown before you can reload your character! Individually, none of these issues were that serious )and some, admittedly, are rather silly) but the combination of all these minor issues were more aggravation than I was willing to tolerate, especially since I knew I could get virtually the same gameplay /for free/ playing DayZ.

With a more experienced (and less greedy) developer - not to mention a longer development time - WarZ (or, as I guess it is now called, "The Game Formerly Known As War Z") might have had potential to be truly great. But given its troubled start, its competition with a free product and a development team that doesn't really seem to care, the end product - even at the sale price of $4 - is still not worth buying.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jun 13, 2013, 18:55 The_Pink_Tiger

"In the console business there frankly isn't much of a business for games outside of the top 20," says EA Exec Gibeau.

On the other hand, on the PC there /is/ a lot of business outside of the top 20. Just ask all those independent developers. Their games don't have to be triple-A, hundred-billion-dollar investments to still be fun. They are small, experimental and recoup their investment often on only a few thousand sales.

So... ever consider you are in the wrong business, EA?

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Footage
8. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Footage Jun 9, 2013, 19:45 The_Pink_Tiger

Uh-huh.

"With an amazing level of attention down to the smallest detail, where each hair is noticeable on character models, scratches and bruises are apparent, and even the dirt beneath fingernails of characters are recognizable, Call of Duty: Ghosts sets a new bar of visual fidelity and near photorealism without sacrificing any performance, maintaining the hallmark of 60 frames per second-on every platform"...

How? By reducing the FOV to 30 degrees, and making each level two rooms and a hallway?

Because console processors aren't getting more powerful, the COD developers certainly aren't getting any more clever, and the only way to increase "visual fidelity" is to sacrifice in other areas.

News Comments > EA Ending Three Social Games
28. Re: EA Ending Three Social Games Apr 15, 2013, 21:06 The_Pink_Tiger

Remember, there's more than one reason to stop supporting a game.

It could be financial. If EA isn't making enough money to pay for server or employee costs - and for a free "social" game that's quite possible - then it makes sense to close it.

But it could be an attempt at planned obsolescence. People playing an old game aren't playing the new ones - and the new ones may be where the money is, either because it's not free or they have a better deal on how much money they get from in-game purchases.

It could be legal. Their games might be doing things that violates - or will violate - Facebook policy, current or future and they are closing it before the hammer comes down. Possibly there are licensing issues, patents used in the game that EA only had the rights to for a limited time.

It could be a "not-invented-here" move by the new CEO. After all, if the social games were sponsored by Riccitiello that's all well and good for him, but none of the credit for the move will fall on Probst. It's not uncommon for successful programs to get axed after a reorganization for such petty reasons in other business so I wouldn't be surprised if its happening in EA.

Or perhaps, EA might have new products they are interested in developing that are interesting but that they don't have enough faith in to hire an entirely new team. So instead, they might be cannibalizing other projects to find the resources to create the new product.

Those are just a few ideas that pop into my head. I'm sure others can think up some more. The point of it all is that it's not always as simple as "it ain't earning its keep".

Although actually, I guess the /real/ point of it all is that if you are the sort to become really invested in a game, you'd better get it from a company that doesn't tie you to the mothership so that they can't take it away from you if they find a some reason - be it based on the needs marketing, legal, office politics or redistribution of corporate resources - at any time. And increasingly, that company is not EA.

41 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo