Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NotTheGuy

Real Name NotTheGuy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ThatOtherGuy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 21, 2008, 21:29
Total Comments 45 (Suspect)
User ID 54651

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Press Release
42. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Press Release Sep 4, 2010, 04:24 ThatOtherGuy

"In Duke Nukem Forever, Duke's "Health" is completely removed.

No longer will Duke scavenge medkits and armor scraps. No longer will being extra cautious in a tight spot help.
Instead, his very existence is powered by his own massive Ego.

A shotgun blast to Duke's face is nothing compared to the disgrace he just suffered from the scumbag who shot him.
Only a just and fatal retribution could bring Duke's spirits back up.

By pulverizing enemies, gallivanting with the local ladies, having happy thoughts or taking a leak, Duke can repair his broken Ego.
Even more than that, by displaying his skills without suffering a scratch in a lasting battle, Duke can boost his Ego to 200%, have an Ego trip and ALL BETS ARE OFF.

When ALL BETS ARE OFF, Duke enters a brief fifteen seconds of nigh-invulnerability, enhanced physical traits and infinite ammo.
A whirlwind of destruction and boot prints, Duke has a chance to lay waste to anything around him in any way he pleases.
Regular cannon fodder don't stand a chance against this self-absorbed Duke Nukem, but only Duke at his peak performance could stand against the baddest of the bad."

It's a continuation of the system in Duke Manhattan Project.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2010, 04:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Plans 3 "Big Surprises"
68. Re: Valve Plans 3 Sep 2, 2010, 00:53 ThatOtherGuy

If by 'actually demoing it' you mean one developer showed a build to guys the magazine he worked for without telling any one else on the team then...  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Domain
8. Re: The Sims 4 Domain Aug 30, 2010, 16:41 ThatOtherGuy

Which puts this news post into not-really-news category.  

News Comments > New Alien Swarm AI Director
4. Re: New Alien Swarm AI Director Aug 23, 2010, 22:35 ThatOtherGuy

How do you do that? (I don't play l4d, just interested).  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 22, 2010, 23:06 ThatOtherGuy

The first bit of the clip has no audio, the rest does.  

News Comments > RAGE PC Interview
11. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 01:53 ThatOtherGuy

They said they've had to put more effort into the controller since it's new to them, and that people know they have mouse and keyboard nailed. Because, you know, they like practically invented that shit.  

News Comments > id: No Tech 5 Licensing
51. Re: id: No Tech 5 Licensing Aug 15, 2010, 17:40 ThatOtherGuy

So I can ask IW for the source to MW2? Sweet.  

News Comments > id: No Tech 5 Licensing
48. Re: id: No Tech 5 Licensing Aug 13, 2010, 16:58 ThatOtherGuy

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 11:03:
3) This is entirely because id is too far behind to compete on tools and support and the cost of getting into that game now is extremely high.

Except they've shown the tools and they look pretty solid.

"...id has had a deserved reputation for producing great technology with not so great tools..."
"...but now as we've grown in headcount ... we've hired full time tools programmers and support programmers..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jz7Qe9ZcEI

Edit: I do kind of agree with you in part, not about tools being the issue obviously, but support.
Supporting a large amount of engine licensees isn't something either company wants to do. Even prior to the zenimax buyout id said they only wanted a few licences.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2010, 17:13.

News Comments > TF2 Engineer Update Clue?
6. Re: TF2 Engineer Update Clue? Jul 4, 2010, 19:03 ThatOtherGuy

It's based on actual files that were in the last patch though (weapon definition), except since it's not integrated in the game (as far as drop/acquisition) they had to add it manually to see what it does.

I don't think you're able to create a weapon that freezes the killed player (it's a pretty neat effect, it's kinda like ragdoll with stiffened limbs) and changes their skin gold - otherwise, from what I understand the full sdk source of tf2 has never been released, so you're essentially limited to scripting/definitions.

News Comments > RAGE Trailers
39. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 19:56 ThatOtherGuy

Tumbler wrote on Jun 17, 2010, 17:27:
(I feel like I'm forgetting about something...) Was quake wars made by someone other than ID?

Quake Wars was made by Splash Damage, with consultation by id. Quake 4 and Wolfenstein by Raven, pretty much hands-off by id.

News Comments > Brink Delayed Again
6. Re: Brink Delayed Again Jun 17, 2010, 02:35 ThatOtherGuy

A big part of that lays in the poor handling by Activision, they gave it practically no marketing and it was released next to other heavy hitters.

Not to say the game wasn't flawed, but it's still a game that brought unique elements along with existing, presented in a cohesive way - just not an accessible manner unfortunately, so a lot of people where overwhelmed and gave up.

Now for Brink they are simultaneously pulling back the scale of things so they can focus, while expanding the dev team tremendously, with veteran talent.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Soundtrack
14. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Soundtrack Jun 1, 2010, 18:59 ThatOtherGuy

While maybe there's an argument for a game soundtrack (something that a lot of times is designed for long play or ambient) being edited down to album format, a look at one of the download sites
http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2/dp/B003NL11SI
shows 17 tracks of about 3-4 minutes.

Extracting the mp3s from the game shows a total 204 tracks. While there are a few sub 30 sec event/stings in that count it's balanced by some 15 minute tracks (the downloadable album is ~3 minute tracks).

Also missing from the online album is a few hiphop tracks played on the training area radio.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Soundtrack
11. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Soundtrack Jun 1, 2010, 18:29 ThatOtherGuy

Pc owners can just unzip the mp3s from the game archives, consolebros have to pay to get stuff they already purchased.  

News Comments > Mafia II and PhysX
17. Re: Mafia II and PhysX May 19, 2010, 17:02 ThatOtherGuy

I claim you're dismissing a game out of hand - and here's the important bit - because you're not looking at all the information available on what it's like.

Your counter is that I'd get the game on a whim, which suggests I wouldn't look at all the information on what it's like.
Right...

This comment was edited on May 19, 2010, 17:30.

14. Re: Mafia II and PhysX May 19, 2010, 06:00 ThatOtherGuy

You guys act like you only have the memory capacity to pay attention to the most recent news article about a game, and base your opinion wholly on that.
Heavens forbid it to be a focussed press release instead of a full preview.

3. Re: Mafia II and PhysX May 18, 2010, 18:55 ThatOtherGuy

I'm guessing deferred shading and too lazy/not happy with their own method to play nice with it?  

News Comments > Raven Hears the Call of Duty?
2. Re: Raven Hears the Call of Duty? May 13, 2010, 16:24 ThatOtherGuy

Raven only handled the single player for Wolfenstein, which I found an solid and enjoyable romp (though the health regen wrecked the potential of the hub world).

The trainwreck that was multiplayer was spread over a long time, it was initially developed by Threewave, then reworked by Endrant because apparently it didn't have the powers and shit from singleplayer. I think Activision made that call.
Also as the publisher they were responsible for support.

News Comments > Portal Free
18. Re: Portal Free May 12, 2010, 18:45 ThatOtherGuy

Free until May 24th
Does that mean you can get the game free forever as long as you grab it before the 24th
Or is it like an extended 'free weekend' ie it will end on the 24th (if you haven't purchased it)

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway
4. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 01:35 ThatOtherGuy

Do you have to wait months after you purchase the game to get your bonus xp, then get your account canceled before you receive it? (whereupon the bonus xp is distributed to the remaining players).  

News Comments > DotA Dev's Valve Announce Soon?
4. Re: DotA Dev's Valve Announce Soon? May 1, 2010, 21:13 ThatOtherGuy

That's because dota games aren't really rts, they are more action rpgs.

I'd say competitive team based multiplayer action rpg with a hoard defense gametype if you want to get specific.

45 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo