Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Niels

Real Name Niels   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Titus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 17, 2008, 14:19
Total Comments 79 (Suspect)
User ID 54639

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week
36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week Jun 22, 2012, 05:20 Titus

Veterator wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 03:30:
Not into buying MMOs without getting some trialing on before hand. Most end up being very disappointing despite positive buzz prior to release.

For a game that's only the price of the box, no subscriptions, I already have had the 20 hours of fun most SP games offer in two beta weekends alone.

It's much more condensed fun than most MMO's, since content doesn't need to be drawn out to keep subscriptions flowing. I'd say it is on par with good SP / MP games. There's literally NO down and travel time, the action is always going, be it SP / coop questing, match PvP and open world conquest.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week
35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week Jun 22, 2012, 05:13 Titus

These beta's make a lot of sense. Ungoing big beta's are the ones used for marketing purposes. For most testing purposes (quest scripts etc.) small focused internal or closed external beta's make a lot more sense. There's no use in having to wade through endless identical bug reports and useless discussions on beta forums just to fix these.

For client/server performance and other mechanics that are supposed to scale (including event difficulty), you do need the big beta's, but it isn't necessary to keep them going, since every day you will get another ton of known issues to sift through.

Now, they can gather data from the forums after a beta weekend, close them, iterate through reported issues in development, test internally, run a short 'stress test' to measure the changes in client and server performance, perhaps tweak some more, and then roll the changes out in the next big beta weekend.

That way you can be pretty sure the known performance/scaling issues are fixed, and can concentrate on the next bottlenecks popping up. It's too bad I can't play it more than once or twice a month, but that's not the intention of a beta. A solid released product is.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2012, 05:36.

News Comments > Neal Stephenson's Sword Fighting Kickstarter
22. Re: Neal Stephenson's Sword Fighting Kickstarter Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 Titus

My guess is the controller they're talking about is the Razer Hydra.

That might have the bases (arms) covered, but I'm still wondering how the feet/body movements will be done. Two thumbsticks give some ability, but there might be control interference problems using those while swinging your arms about. Integrating TrackIR for body posture might be cool, but even more unrealistic price-wise.

As a (former) swordfighter and gamer I've been interested in something like this for some time. I've experimented in games with a lot of alternative controllers / control schemes, but control for a good swordfighting simulation is a nightmare.

The lack of physical constraints (force feedback) makes it even worse, since swordfighting is all about control and conservation of momentum. If you don't get that right, you just get a LARP simulator. And thats like the difference between Rise of Flight and Snoopy vs. The Red Baron.

Even when you do get the input issue covered, there's the hornets nest of medieval martial arts theorycrafting. There's more factions there than there are churches. Make it moddable and servers will split like a melon under a flanged mace.

Still looking forward to it though

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
49. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 18:43 Titus

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:28:
I assumed it was just another segment of the single-player game; it wouldn't be the first time you're bouncing between several characters throughout a story campaign. You're right though, that would make for some interesting multiplayer.

If you look at the cut to the presentation itself, there's a new player in the spotlights as well, so two in total on the stage. Also, the interface for the second player says 'New Group Objective', and when zooming out to the map before the closing title, there's multiple name arrows all over the city map,in the same style and color of the minimap player icons.

Also, the 'Everything's Connected' catchphrase would make much more sense. The hacking stuff itself isn't that novel, and has been done before (though not to such extent) in games like DE, DE:HR and even the Syndicate FPS. Such multiplayer would be though.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2012, 18:49.

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
36. Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 14:41 Titus

In the full Ubisoft presentation at E3, just after the hit, the camera zoomed out to one of multiple players in the same game world, observing the protagonist from a roof. It was also suggested that person had a whole different agenda to him.

I think I was most surprised by that. Open world objective based multiplayer with interaction beyond team based gameplay or coop, but based on personal (conflicting ?) objectives ? Color me interested.. Also wondering how the matchmaking will work. Friends only game, MMO, forced multiplay ?

Very weird that didn't make it into this trailer, it gave a whole new dimension to an otherwise standard looking game.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2012, 15:06.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Jun 5, 2012, 07:00 Titus

Trailers will be trailers. Then again, you'd be surprised how many shots in there are directly from gameplay.

Don't know if you've seen it, but here's some gameplay footage. Following the game closely, I'm pretty much convinced this is XCOM without the sucky 90's bits.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2012, 07:07.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 15:13 Titus

HorrorScope wrote on May 11, 2012, 14:57:
Many reported stupid crazy low percentage of use on GPU's and several had low CPU usage as well.

Low CPU usage if you look at the total CPU. If you got 4 (or 6) cores and one thread is maxing out one core and limiting the rest of the threads, you'll only see 25% (or 16%) plus a bit CPU usage. You can't split one thread over multiple cores. That's why certain lower end CPU's with good per core performance could run this better than high end AMD 6 core systems, where the per core performance is worse.

Concurrency is the bane of modern computing, ever since 'Moore's Law' could only be kept intact by putting more cores on a processor. Tim Sweeney held a great talk about innovating computer languages for game development years ago. Most processing languages nowadays favor the Object Orientation paradigm, where mutable state is all over the place, which makes locking issues hard to prevent. Too bad nothing much has changed.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2012, 15:30.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 11, 2012, 13:46 Titus

InBlack wrote on May 11, 2012, 03:10:
As for Guild Wars 2, I think it would be a better strategy to let 'everyone' in for a stress test. Its a great way to demo your game and its a great way to spread some goodwill around.

It's an even better idea when you have limited servers (like beta) to reserve the available space for people that can generate the most interest for your game with others; i.e. the people that have enough faith in, and understanding of, your design decisions to already buy the game before it's released.

HorrorScope wrote on May 11, 2012, 12:51:
Amazing how this game does not take advantage of GPU's at this time. Not sure what the strategy here is.

Not taking advantage of GPU's is a bit of a misnomer, of course the GPU is being used. The current build seems to be CPU bound, meaning the CPU is maxed out sooner than the video card is. This is due to it being beta code, and is probably their top priority. Most affected PC's seem those with good video cards but CPU's with low per core performance.

It can be a pretty simple problem though, like Skyrim's first exe not being compiled with the right flags, resulting in a 40% performance increase with the 1.4 patch. Or like Mass Effect 2 loading taking ages unless you fiddled with the processor affinity.

I forgot which game it was, but one had huge CPU usage and subpar performance due to streaming resources from packed files slowing down all other threads. It was caused by the compression being done differently than the ingame decompress expected. The solution ? Repacking the games huge resource files. Also later officially patched (by redownloading all completely repacked data).

All these happened with released AAA games, which were often patched later. All of them had one very simple error that once found, was easily fixable. Although it could be something more nebulous as well, like complex locking problems, I'm sure it will be fixed by release. The original Guild Wars was very well optimized and had stellar performance on modest systems.

I'm sure the age-old retort "When have you ever seen an MMO that performed better at release than in beta ?" will follow soon. However, people will have to understand the meaning of the word beta. This game doesn't even have a set release date. This beta is done for REAL testing purposes, it's not one of those marketing betas most MMO's go through two weeks prior to release to drum up publicity.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2012, 14:51.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Worlds
40. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 18:04 Titus

Alamar wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:51:
But the counter that, is that there is stuff that requires level, like the 'hard mode' dungeons...

Correction: Hard mode dungeons are unlocked directly after doing the story version. So while you only have access to ALL hardmode dungeons at max level, you'll be able to do the first one in your teens.

39. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 18:01 Titus

deqer wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 16:48:
You think you can make us grind shit again?

I suggest reading up a bit on this game, might surprise you. Or check out this youtube channel, they explain pretty much all mechanics of the game.

Long story short: Since this game is subscription free, it's in their best interest to make the game fun so you'll buy the expansions.

6. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 10:48 Titus

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:29:
Sounds like most other MMO transfer systems with a few adjustments to keep WvW balance in check.

Nope, it's even better. You can dynamically jump servers for free to play with friends on other servers, with WvW restrictions. When you decide to move servers permanently, you can do so for a small fee, but can participate in all activities on that server.

Of course there need to be limits (provided by timeout and gems), since WvW is pitching server vs. server. I think one week is pretty lenient, I'd rather have the move delayed till after the current round of WvW.

Restricted temporary free server moves, and complete server moves from day one is pretty impressive. I know a few SWTOR servers that are still waiting (if people haven't quit yet)

4. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Worlds Apr 25, 2012, 10:35 Titus

Hudson wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:18:
This game My comments gets dumber every day

Fixed.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 10:53.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
74. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 11, 2012, 11:31 Titus

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 09:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 23:48:
Go look again. It is 1x with a limit. It isn't forever. The banker is for 5 hours.

Yeah none of them seem unreasonable. I don't know why people continue to think this will be pay to win

In this case it's not about the implications of the cash shop, but if the Digital Deluxe Edition is good value. I agree that 20 for one elite (summon pet) skill, a non-combat pet, and 3 one time use items is a bit steep.

Then again, there's people plonking down 25 for a My Little Pony mount in other games, and there's the standard Digital Edition for people with more sense than money.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 10:52 Titus

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:29:
I don't really like level and class-based systems anymore. It's too restricting, and I don't like having alts. I like the idea that I can eventually learn all the skills

Fair enough. Haven't seen a system like that pulled off successfully yet. Even when it's theoretically possible, like Eve, you'd need ages of training, and will be gimped against more specialized characters of the same 'age'. One can always hope it'll be done though, however I doubt Funcom will be able to pull it off.

I'm not much into alts myself, but found out it's the repetition of content I hate about it. I hope different class mechanics, personal storylines, dynamic zones and switching between PvP and PvE for levelling will alleviate that problem.

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 10:18 Titus

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:08:
I wanted a more detailed and freeform character advancement system with more choice

I wonder what you either expected or wanted then. You're not locked into one of the 'holy trinity' roles, there's tons of weapon / skill choices that can be switched in / out of combat, and there's customisation to your playstyle in the form of talents and traits.

I haven't seen it's equal in either MMO or SP RPG's.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 10:28.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 10:07 Titus

nin wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 10:05:
Do you need your anet account info (login) to purchase?

You need your original anet account to link your GW1 account to this one. However, this can be done separately after buying during the registration phase.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 10:03 Titus

It's rumored the next beta will be the weekend of the 20th. Got my account this morning as well.

I've been playing a few decent filler MMO's (Rift & SWToR) while waiting for GW2. Now is the time for the game that will finally demolish genre conventions for the first time since EQ launched in 1999.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 10:23.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
40. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 23, 2012, 16:16 Titus

I think this is the video he is referring to, it's the only video atm with an explorable dungeon run.

The only rezzes that can be seen there are fight to survive, player rezzes, and after death respawns at respawn points in the dungeon

In the video it's clearly pointed out that if you die inside an explorable dungeon, you can (almost instantly) respawn in the dungeon itself, at the last unlocked waypoint, and run back into a fight. They also state that encounters inside the dungeons are explicitly designed around this.

However, you do get damage to your items, and if all your items are damaged, you need to repair in town.

After seeing this, I wonder what use a resurrection orb is at all, perhaps other than to prevent one of your items being damaged. From what I've seen, it will only save you a max 30s run.

While I would allow myself to buy 15 of gems a month, I still haven't seen anything other than extra character slots that I would spend my money on. Seeing how huge this game is going to be, why would I want to skip content ?

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2012, 16:30.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
17. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 12:28 Titus

WarpCrow wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:11:
ANYTHING can be had with RMT?

Please read again. It's clear you CAN'T have everything with RMT.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
16. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 12:12 Titus

wusel wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:22:
To generate a demand for "time-saving convenience"-items, Anet must have left inconvenient game mechanics in the game ..so much for the promise of "no grind, just fun".

Yup. I'm sure ArenaNet is responsible for things like work, family, a social life and all these other nasty 'behind the game' mechanics they built into Guild Wars 2.

79 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo