Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Niels

Real Name Niels   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Titus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 17, 2008, 14:19
Total Comments 75 (Suspect)
User ID 54639

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Sells 1.2M
9. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Sells 1.2M Aug 13, 2013, 18:05 Titus

Chiv is one of those games that are way more fun than what they should be considering their flaws. Up until now its unique gameplay could lift it above its mediocre execution.
Now, however, they introduced their biggest flaw as their newest selling point: Customization.

Other games have either:

• Strong, even inflated visual definition of classes, fixed weapons per class, fixed team colors and limited customization (hats, anyone?)

• Less definition and more customization, shared weapons, but clear identifying tags

• Chivalry now has neither.

It can't have tags because of melee range and first person perspective, and sometimes an arm or a leg is the only thing you have to go on. Now those extremities can be not one, but several (4 base, 6 detail) colors. In various stages of desaturation depending on how wounded you are. Combine that with helmet DLC, which change the already weak silhouetting into a game of what-class-wore-which-hats-again?. All within the fractions of a second between life and death in a twitch-based team game.

A clientside option to choose between showing customization or not would have helped a lot. Torn Banner ignored the concerns from beta, and now relegates a slightly dubious but nonetheless fun game to solidly mediocre. Here's to hoping they either come up with a solution, or for a more professional team to make a foray into first person melee based multiplayer games soon.

Such a shame, we had been waiting on one since Rune and Jedi Knight already.
    This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2013, 18:42.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Reveal at E3?
    10. Re: Just Cause 3 Reveal at E3? Feb 28, 2013, 05:08 Titus

Rico Rodriguez grandfather in a 30's Crimson Skies setting ? With a Jetpack?

Which can only be used for longer times for slowing descent (like the parachute), but has nitro bursts for jumping to locations quickly (like the grappling hook, but in an arc you can aim).

And like Interstate '76 / Crimson Skies combining looted vehicle parts into custom ground & air vehicles with handling dependent on parts used.

One can only dream..

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2013, 05:19.

News Comments > Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale
    11. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 07:07 Titus

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 06:18:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1B9sHBbyhs

Fun as that video is, it gives a pretty warped view on the technical stability of the game. Most glitches you see here have been fixed a long time ago.

News Comments > Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale
    9. Re: Chivalry - Medieval Warfare Free Weekend; Sale Jan 25, 2013, 05:04 Titus

Armengar wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 03:06:
    It's a mod?

Shows you what some people think to know. Age of Chivalry was a mod based on the Source engine, made by the same team. They then moved on to create a new game in the same vein based on their experiences with AoC, based on the Unreal engine, which became Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

So this is a new standalone game, and it's really nice. Presentation wise it could use some polish, but the gameplay is solid: Combat has very simple rules, but in combining those it gets pretty in-depth.

That takes a while to discover though. You can pick it up, run a few rounds, and think you've seen it all. Play it longer, find some information about advanced combat, and you'll find the second layer, which takes some time to learn. It's probably the only game that I got worse in while learning to play better.

News Comments > Flashback HD Remake Planned?
    15. Re: Flashback HD Remake Planned? Jan 22, 2013, 09:42 Titus

Ray Marden wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 06:52:
    Waiting on remakes of Crusader or the LBA games

+1

News Comments > Flashback HD Remake Planned?
    10. Re: Flashback HD Remake Planned? Jan 22, 2013, 04:57 Titus

With HD remakes being the new Zombies/WW2 thing, come on and do Outcast HD.  

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
    10. Re: Trion Layoffs Dec 12, 2012, 17:56 Titus

gilgalad75 wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 14:25:
    Add to that the fact that they stole every single world of warcraft feature (Hi Bioware), and I just got a bad taste in my mouth.

Unlike Blizzard, who invented the genre as well as every feature in WoW themselves..

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Diary
    4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Diary Nov 8, 2012, 08:36 Titus

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 07:50:
    I wonder if they'll just drop the idea since they've been sold to Disney.

EA's been sold to Disney ? Now that's news to me..

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
    70. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 05:31 Titus

Yakubs wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:39:
    It didn't sell tons of copies, even game journalists admitted it was a flawed game (boss battles, hello?), and none of the game mechanics are demonstrably better execution-wise than other games already out.

Exactly how it was with the original Deus Ex.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo
    27. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Demo Sep 24, 2012, 15:34 Titus

Bit smallish for a 5G demo, basically 1 tutorial, one small level and a lot of cutscenes. Interface is smooth as butter though, and it's XCOM all the way through, without the tedious AP counting. Definitely worth the preorder, and can't wait for release.  

News Comments > Crash Time 5: Undercover Demo
    2. Re: Crash Time 5: Undercover Demo Sep 24, 2012, 05:27 Titus

Played a few of these before, it's actually a very decent series if you like arcade cop racers. If you do, you should check out the demo, pretty big production value on a game franchise almost no-one ever heard of.  

News Comments > BIS Arrests Follow-up
    23. Re: BIS Arrests Follow-up Sep 13, 2012, 04:33 Titus

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 04:01:
    S
    I'm sure these guys will be fine, no need to jump the gun and form a kickstarter for prison lube or anything

I wouldn't be so sure about them being fine..

In 2001 several British and Dutch airplane spotters spent 6 weeks in jail before being released on bail. None of them expected any problems fighting the espionage charges (max sentence: 20 years).

However, returning to trial they were convicted to 1-3 years in prison. This was only overturned on appeal a year later, after heavy diplomatic lobbying by the British and Dutch governments.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 04:41.

News Comments > BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage
    10. Re: BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage Sep 11, 2012, 12:12 Titus

Greece has been well known for acting like this towards observing military bases and equipment. In 2001 several British and Dutch airplane spotters spent 6 weeks in jail before being released on bail. Returning to trial they were convinced the espionage charges (with a maximum sentence of 20 years) wouldn't stick, but were convicted to 1-3 years in prison. This was only overturned on appeal, after heavy diplomatic lobbying.

For people specializing in military actions and behavior I think Bohemia would have known about this (it was all over the news at that time), and it was pretty naive to take their chances.

News Comments > TERA Server Merges
    14. Re: TERA Server Merges Sep 6, 2012, 04:31 Titus

PropheT wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:01:
    There wouldn't be much point to the cash shop if it was an easy conversion, they wouldn't make any money.

I think the main point of the GW2 gem shop is not making money off the items themselves, but taking back the proceeds from gold trades that would otherwise go to third parties, and keep the in-game economy stable.

To make such a system work, there HAVE to be some items that are desirable that can be sold for gems only. I think GW2 has struck a nice balance. Basically, only extra character and bank slots are worth the money, and they'll last through game upgrades.

Everything else people want to spend their money on is basically for those with more money than sense; The keys you mention unlock chests with basically a few worthless booster items (I haven't even bothered to use the ones I got from quested keys), and potions that can change you into a mob model until zoning / combat.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2012, 04:40.

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
    68. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 08:00 Titus

If it takes this long for Valve to finish HL3, I'm sure these guys can be given a break for taking 8 years to finish this..  

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patches
    6. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patches Jun 28, 2012, 05:27 Titus

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 05:02:
    Speak for yourself junior, there's plenty in Ubi's library of games that are at the very least decent, and many of which that are great.

I agree, I like(d) a lot of Ubisoft games. A bit of a shame though I haven't been able to buy them for the last two years because of their retarded DRM.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week
    36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week Jun 22, 2012, 05:20 Titus

Veterator wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 03:30:
    Not into buying MMOs without getting some trialing on before hand. Most end up being very disappointing despite positive buzz prior to release.

For a game that's only the price of the box, no subscriptions, I already have had the 20 hours of fun most SP games offer in two beta weekends alone.

It's much more condensed fun than most MMO's, since content doesn't need to be drawn out to keep subscriptions flowing. I'd say it is on par with good SP / MP games. There's literally NO down and travel time, the action is always going, be it SP / coop questing, match PvP and open world conquest.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week
    35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Next Week Jun 22, 2012, 05:13 Titus

These beta's make a lot of sense. Ungoing big beta's are the ones used for marketing purposes. For most testing purposes (quest scripts etc.) small focused internal or closed external beta's make a lot more sense. There's no use in having to wade through endless identical bug reports and useless discussions on beta forums just to fix these.

For client/server performance and other mechanics that are supposed to scale (including event difficulty), you do need the big beta's, but it isn't necessary to keep them going, since every day you will get another ton of known issues to sift through.

Now, they can gather data from the forums after a beta weekend, close them, iterate through reported issues in development, test internally, run a short 'stress test' to measure the changes in client and server performance, perhaps tweak some more, and then roll the changes out in the next big beta weekend.

That way you can be pretty sure the known performance/scaling issues are fixed, and can concentrate on the next bottlenecks popping up. It's too bad I can't play it more than once or twice a month, but that's not the intention of a beta. A solid released product is.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2012, 05:36.

News Comments > Neal Stephenson's Sword Fighting Kickstarter
    22. Re: Neal Stephenson's Sword Fighting Kickstarter Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 Titus

My guess is the controller they're talking about is the Razer Hydra.

That might have the bases (arms) covered, but I'm still wondering how the feet/body movements will be done. Two thumbsticks give some ability, but there might be control interference problems using those while swinging your arms about. Integrating TrackIR for body posture might be cool, but even more unrealistic price-wise.

As a (former) swordfighter and gamer I've been interested in something like this for some time. I've experimented in games with a lot of alternative controllers / control schemes, but control for a good swordfighting simulation is a nightmare.

The lack of physical constraints (force feedback) makes it even worse, since swordfighting is all about control and conservation of momentum. If you don't get that right, you just get a LARP simulator. And thats like the difference between Rise of Flight and Snoopy vs. The Red Baron.

Even when you do get the input issue covered, there's the hornets nest of medieval martial arts theorycrafting. There's more factions there than there are churches. Make it moddable and servers will split like a melon under a flanged mace.

Still looking forward to it though

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
    49. Re: Open World Multiplayer ? Jun 5, 2012, 18:43 Titus

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 18:28:
    I assumed it was just another segment of the single-player game; it wouldn't be the first time you're bouncing between several characters throughout a story campaign. You're right though, that would make for some interesting multiplayer.

If you look at the cut to the presentation itself, there's a new player in the spotlights as well, so two in total on the stage. Also, the interface for the second player says 'New Group Objective', and when zooming out to the map before the closing title, there's multiple name arrows all over the city map,in the same style and color of the minimap player icons.

Also, the 'Everything's Connected' catchphrase would make much more sense. The hacking stuff itself isn't that novel, and has been done before (though not to such extent) in games like DE, DE:HR and even the Syndicate FPS. Such multiplayer would be though.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2012, 18:49.

75 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo