Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
18. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 13, 2011, 07:07 StingingVelvet

finga wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 04:18:
It's so that your buddy can't borrow your login info, jump on, download all the games you bought, and then play them forever without logging in ever again (while you also have access to them, too). Sure, it'd be a nice freedom to have from the player's perspective, but Steam was built on getting publishers to trust them, and offering absolutely no protection from piracy was not a good way to do it.

'Cause hey let's inconvenience customers when all the games are DRM free on torrent sites anyway amirite? Woohoo!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced
65. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 07:03 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 21:57:
What exactly is Valve's strategy here? Everybody has been waiting for HL2-Ep3 / HL3 and yet instead we've been greeted with Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, DOTA and now a new Counter-Strike game. They better be planning something HUGE or else a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

I like that you think they care about our disappointment. They are making money hand over fist with what they are releasing.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
60. Re: PC Gamer gave it a 94... Aug 13, 2011, 07:00 StingingVelvet

shihonage wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 03:04:
And it was pretty linear. The freedom was being alluded to, through interactivity of the engine, but the narrative itself didn't really seem to branch a whole lot.

The original is a linear game overall, but every mission can be done in a dozen ways, which is what people mean when they call it non-linear. Also each of those ways has certain repercussions and benefits, some minor and some not so minor. It was pretty unique at the time, especially for a shooter, and the rare cyberpunk theme was refreshing and downright cool.

It's my second favorite game of all time.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
38. Re: Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a Aug 12, 2011, 17:00 StingingVelvet

Sounds about right... I enjoyed IW and think it's a good game, but its nowhere near as good a game as the original. Sounds like they thought pretty much the same thing.

People who have played the leak have told me HR reaches a sort of middle-ground between the original and IW. That sounds fine to me.

News Comments > MDK 2 HD Next Month
14. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 16:59 StingingVelvet

Beamdog has DRM and I don't trust them to be around 10 minutes let alone 10 years, so... meh.

That said if it's a good remake and a crack exists I might grab it.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced
24. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 16:57 StingingVelvet

Sons-a-bitches at Valve only selling this on Steam? OMG! What about Gamersgate and Direct2Drive? This is bullshit, you shouldn't sit out a big part of the market just to push your own service!

Also I bet Steam will be required to play the game! What a load of crap, I don't want another client I have to run! Bullshit!

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
187. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 12, 2011, 03:01 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 00:53:
I think Vegas put the odds at 500,000,000 to 1 that EA will release a patch. Iow, it's not happening.

You could be right. Then again shutting down singleplayer would be a new low, and something I am not going to say I am sure they will do. We shall see.

It's certainly not a good sign that Mass Effect and Spore still have their stupid install limits years after they came out, years after they were cracked and even years after they have been as cheap as $5.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
68. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:00 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:47:
I don't know any such thing. I'm actually surprised at the majority of the responses I've seen so far being fairly frustrated and the fact that its making people rethink the game.

I think that's pretty naive, but then I guess we shall see in the long run. In any case anyone who played Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 2 already has an EA account, which is the same thing as an Origin account. There is no new account to get here, just a client download which honestly for a multiplayer game is a good thing.

54. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:28 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:18:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:50:
Have you been job hunting lately? You literally have to make a new account for every single fucking job you apply for.

Ur doing it wrong.

Creston

Hey if you have a tip let me know, it's driving me insane. A lot of good jobs are simple resume emails, but I'm trying to get anything I can right now and shitty jobs all require making an account on some shitty store's website.

49. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:15 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:02:
It is annoying and time consuming so maybe that's why people don't want to be doing it in their entertainment hobby when it serves no one but the company doing it. Having yet another game library to worry about, another program installed and so on is not what many people want to deal with. People have said pretty emphatically that they don't want it in many topics here so obviously it's a big deal to some. At what number does it stop being ok?

If consumers really hate it as much as you think then they won't give in to it and it will quickly die, but you and me both know that isn't going to happen, which then in turn means it isn't actually that big a deal.

44. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:50 StingingVelvet

MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:53:
The big fucking deal is having to use yet another game manager...are you really that dense?

Have you been job hunting lately? You literally have to make a new account for every single fucking job you apply for. THAT is fucking annoying and pointlessly time consuming.

Having a what... 4th account? 5th? Is not a big deal.

177. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 11, 2011, 16:45 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:24:
EA has already repeatedly demonstrated their willingness to shut down servers. Why expect they'd keep them up longer if they also serviced single player games?

C&C4 will be a good test for the future. It required a constant connection despite having a singleplayer campaign and the game bombed terribly. I am sure they will want to shut it down not too long from now, and whether they release an offline patch for singleplayer or not will have a big impact on my support for them in the future.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:41 StingingVelvet

This was pretty obvious a while ago. Origin works fine though, I don't see the big deal if you accept games that force Steam, GFWL and Impulse. If you're against all of them I get that.

The website thing is what pisses me off.

News Comments > DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD
16. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 09:27 StingingVelvet

kanniballl wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 08:30:
I don't MIND always-on DRM since I tend to be always online and I've hardly ever had any problems with FIOS. And my gaming sessions tend to be shorter now.

But if my ISP was flakey or I traveled a lot and played games on a laptop, I'd be ticked.

Disregarding your own connection there are two big reasons to dislike this DRM: 1)their servers might be spotty and in Ubisoft's case were, 2)the game might be unplayable someday when the servers are shut down.

News Comments > DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD
10. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 04:42 StingingVelvet

Ubisoft shareholders really need to ask the management why they are ignoring and outright pissing on a resurgent PC market.  

154. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 21:31 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 19:29:
For anyone not a trolling retard, it should be easy to understand that I don't play MMO's for the same reason. I want a game that is there to be played when I'm ready to play it, whether it's 2 years or 2 decades from now.

The Hobbit was written 8 decades ago, and I can still read it. Citizen Kane was filmed 7 decades ago and I can still watch it. I don't think it's unreasonable at all, retards opinions be damned, for me to expect to be able to play a favorite game a similar amount of time in the future. GOG ensures that I can. Blizzard now is ensuring that sooner or later, I won't be able to.

Thus I will support GOG and abandon Blizzard. Simple.

I don't think I have ever agreed with someone on Blue's as much as I agree with you right now.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
164. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 10, 2011, 18:42 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 17:27:
Why should I try? It's a pointless aside that has nothing to do with the topic and can't be proven either way.

Dude, you couldn't be more wrong. You couldn't be less understanding of my entire point if you tried. A well reviewed and well received indie game not getting on Steam and therefore suffering from lack of interest by people who treat Steam as PC gaming itself is EXACTLY my point. It's not an aside what-so-ever.

I don't think you'll find many people subscribing to the idea that Steam is anything but incredibly supportive to the indie side of the industry in general.

As long as they want to support you, sure. I think cliffski and the guys behind Gemini Rue would have something to say about what happens when they don't want to support you however.

Nah I'm not buying, you repeatedly criticize specific aspects of Steam all the time having nothing to do with marketshare but don't do the same thing with other services.

Uh, okay then. I guess you know me better than I know myself.

The people who only buy things on Steam are probably the least likely to branch out so that makes no sense to me.

They'll branch out for huge games they don't want to miss like Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3, and hopefully that means they will be more likely to branch out the next time a good indie comes out without a Steam release.

The platform is wide open for development

Sure, but that's only worthwhile if you make money doing so. If the only way to really make money is to be on Steam then Valve essentially become your publisher and have their own list of requirements and suggestions.

If Steam steps out of bounds the industry will adjust, that's the nature of an open platform. If Steam started purchasing competitive services and other publishing companies then we've got a problem.

I don't have as much faith in consumers as you do I guess, and Valve don't need to buy out their competitors when they handily control the market without doing so.

139. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 18:34 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 18:09:
For the frickin' BILLIONTH time, it's not MY computer I'm worried about being always online; it's theirs; i.e. whoever decides to use this bullshit DRM scheme insultingly disguised as a "feature".

I play games from 1988 on GOG. That's 23 years ago for the trolling retards who can't be bothered to see past the nose on their face and keep telling us "Your computer is always connected - quit whining!"

Maybe Blizzard will still be running the Diablo 3 services then; maybe they won't. Who's to say? Point is, I like to revisit old games for nostalgia, history, and just plain fun. I'm not going to be told by anyone that I can no longer do that because they want to treat me like a thief and then insult my intelligence by giving me some utterly lame excuse about how they "have to do this", and how it's a "bonus" or a "feature".

As it stands now, the only way I will ever play Diablo 3 (as I am only interested in LAN and singleplayer) is if Blizzard abandons this stupidity or I pirate the warez version.

THIS.

112. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 16:46 StingingVelvet

Thelemite wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 16:42:
All of the bitching in the world isn't going to stop this. The seeds were planted years ago with Steam. Always-on is the logical end result of the shift to digital distribution. Some of us tried to warn you, but you were too busy making fun of us and calling us paranoid to listen.

It honestly has very little do with digital distribution. I love the GOG method of acquiring games, do it just like an MP3... download, backup, own forever.

The Steam method of account-based ownership is not necessary for digital distribution.

111. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 16:43 StingingVelvet

Hellbinder wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 14:34:
This is yet another tiny step in converting the way people think about life. from the youngest to the oldest within a decade or so everyone will be plugged in or left out in the cold. The end game is a unified economic and control system over the majority of mankind. It is happening slowly right now and the transformation continues. The end result is that everyone will be part of the system and it will be considered normal, acceptible and totally logical and anyone on the outside who refuses to participate will be considered dangerous, a threat, a nutjob etc.

Indeed, this is sociology 101.

It still amazes me that there are people out there, and even many of you who see this happening and know its happening and yet laugh at Bible prophecy about the end game that is coming. "no one can buy or sell without a mark on their hand or forhead".

The danger is, there is coming a time when the brakes will be taken off, and the voices of warning will fade, and like something striaght out of star trek everyone will be absorbed like the borg and not even have the desire to resist but hate anyone who is not part of the collective. 10, 20, 30 years from now its not that far off now. You all know the technology is not that far off.

As Jesus said "he who has an ear let him hear."

Act now, believe now, receive now dont wait till its to late and the door is shut.

No, you're doing the same thing you're accusing society of above. Your made up comfort system tries to alienate those who don't drink the koolaid.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo