Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 14:40 StingingVelvet

Huttball sounds really f'ing stupid. They could have come up with something better than that, surely.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Baconing Looms
4. Re: The Baconing Looms Aug 19, 2011, 14:39 StingingVelvet

In other words no console wanted an exclusive window this time.  

News Comments > Skyrim Using Steamworks
45. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 19, 2011, 02:41 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 00:18:
I'm not talking about online activation. I'm talking about the requirement of installing third-party software (GFWL) and creating a GFWL account (online or offline) if you want to launch, play and save your game. I consider that DRM. Any attempt to control what you can and cannot do with your software is Digital Rights Management. CD-keys, disc checks, online activations, install limits, etc, are all DRM.

Hahaha... by that definition any game with a profile system has DRM in it. Whatever, this argument is a lost cause.

News Comments > From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated]
15. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 18, 2011, 23:57 StingingVelvet

I'm not defending Ubisoft's bullshit, but "one-time only" could certainly have meant when you start the game or whatever. I mean obviously it was purposely misleading, but not really a lie. I dunno.

Either way... shitty stuff. Ubisoft is the worst big publisher on PC by far.

42. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 18, 2011, 20:17 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 18:40:
And not all GFWL titles are like that. I recall something with bioshock 2 which refused to let me save my games unless I was logged into GFWL.

You have to login to a profile, yes, but it can be an offline profile you never activate online. This has been explained for 5 years now but people still don't seem to get it.

37. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 18, 2011, 17:55 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 12:14:
Disagreed. GFWL is DRM. Could you bypass it? Sure, just like you can bypass any DRM with a crack or workaround. However, you aren't supposed to and it's most certainly a violation of the DMCA. GFWL + disc check = DRM.

What? You bypass it by ignoring it. The game did not require GFWL activation. The only reason you activated was to get achievements and such, there was no requirement to do so. Every GFWL title is like this actually, you can play with an offline profile by ignoring GFWL.

However they have recently added an online activation during the install process, which makes it DRM. Dead Rising 2 was the first to do this.

News Comments > EA Revival Possibilities
34. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 17:52 StingingVelvet

Is it weird that I am more excited about their future GOG releases than I am these revivals?  

19. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 18, 2011, 06:15 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 00:28:
As Jerykk pointed out FO3 used GFWL and I could've swore myself it used SecuROM unless they changed their minds and my brief searching didn't turn it up.

edit: Oh I see now that they used SecuROM just for the disc check that you've mentioned.

The GFWL on Fallout 3 was not DRM. That was before GFWL started requiring activation. You could never activate Fallout 3, never even open the GFWL interface, and play the game completely. Even the DLC did not have DRM on it, you could move it out of the GFWL folder and back it up freely. The launcher had a disc check on it but the normal exe did not.

Fallout 3 was DRM free.

7. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 17, 2011, 22:47 StingingVelvet

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 22:30:
It means they are using native Steamworks DRM rather than GFWL or SecuROM.

IMO, a good thing.

^D^

Bethesda games used disc checks only before New Vegas went Steamworks, so not a good thing. Less DRM is always better than more.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Future Soldier MP Trailer
6. Re: Ghost Recon Future Soldier MP Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 17:24 StingingVelvet

Blue wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:38:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:12:
This is not announced for PC according to Ubisoft on their own forum.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/107231/ghost-recon-future-soldier-pc-plans

Yeah, I know they at least hinted at it for PC before. Still the PC version vanished from their online store and the employees on their forum are insisting they never officially said it was coming to PC. Word out of E3 was that GR: Online is our only release.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer
34. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 15:16 StingingVelvet

Pretty fucking epic. Multiplayer ain't really my thing but I have always loved the Battlefield games for some reason.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Future Soldier MP Trailer
2. Re: Ghost Recon Future Soldier MP Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 15:12 StingingVelvet

This is not announced for PC according to Ubisoft on their own forum.  

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
16. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 14, 2011, 23:36 StingingVelvet

elefunk wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 22:49:
It's not "just another fucking launcher". Nadeo actually has damn good reasons for doing things this way - they're creating the fucking definition of the creativity and freedom that PC gaming is about.

Indeed. The reaction to this is sad.

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution
5. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 14, 2011, 16:36 StingingVelvet

You realize nin that the beta is months old... you can't judge the game on that.  

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
4. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 14, 2011, 16:35 StingingVelvet

The simple fact is that the PC resurgence is due in part to these kinds of direct sales opportunities. It isn't going away.  

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
34. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 13, 2011, 20:24 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 19:49:
Securom is definitely not the worst DRM scheme. Starforce, TAGES and UbiDRM are all much worse. The best DRM scheme would be a rudimentary disc check, like the ones that games used to use in the 90's. Of the modern crop of DRM schemes, I do agree that Steam is the best, though, since it offers many benefits to offset the inherent inconvenience of its DRM.

Those benefits of course being subjective. I actually resent having to load the damn thing for singleplayer games and auto-patching is a bad thing for me, not a good thing.

Of all internet DRM methods I would say anything unlimited with no client required is my favorite. Direct2Drive would be a good example, as would Origin since they don't force you to run the client.

News Comments > EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"
11. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:26 StingingVelvet

Acleacius wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 16:15:
Lol, this reminds me of how m$ tried to convince us how much they cared for the PC the last 10 years, especially pre shista release.

I feel the love baby....err not.

Difference being of course that EA release everything on the PC, with BF3 actually leading on the PC. MS does nothing to back up their claims.

News Comments > EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"
6. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 15:42 StingingVelvet

killer_roach wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 15:30:
Nothing about the next console generation changes what he's said. The problem is how much interest consumers have in PC gaming once the next generation of consoles comes out.

Assuming the "next-gen" is not a huge graphical leap, which everyone seems to think it won't be, I don't think the PC will have much problem competing. It would basically be our business models versus whatever controller or service innovations of the new consoles.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
65. Re: PC Gamer gave it a 94... Aug 13, 2011, 15:00 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 07:06:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 07:00:
It's my second favorite game of all time.
Whats first?

Morrowind.

The original Fallout is third. I don't really rank below those three.

News Comments > No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2
10. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 07:10 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 23:56:
While I'm happy that the game isn't plagued by UbiDRM, I'm confused as to why Ubisoft is being so inconsistent. Why do some of their PC games have UbiDRM while others don't?

I'm pretty sure it's paranoia about PC piracy impacting console sales. Trackmania is a PC exclusive and From Dust was delayed significantly, but Driver was supposed to be a same day release.

Either that or they leave it up to the project leaders.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo