Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution "The Missing Link" DLC Next Month
7. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "The Missing Link" DLC Next Month Sep 2, 2011, 23:25 StingingVelvet

Sounds like a cut level to me, but whatever, the game is plenty long enough so it's not like we're getting ripped off. Someone confirmed on their forum that this will launch from the menu, not be put into the game proper like the Tracer Tong mission I didn't get to play.

October is a while away though... probably won't be playing more Deus Ex at that point with Rage and Skyrim coming out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel
61. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 2, 2011, 16:14 StingingVelvet

Took me 33 hours to beat the game talking to everyone and exploring everywhere, playing a stealthy yet lethal pistol man. I did miss one side mission due to a glitch where reading the PDA entry did not update the quest.

Replaying it now as a ghost who never kills anything. Games goes by MUCH quicker when you aren't exploring as much or hacking every computer. I bet I will finish my second playthrough in like 12 hours.

Also, the people bitching about bosses being really hard for stealth characters: phooey. I beat Barret with nothing but a tranq rifle by throwing the explosive barrels in the room at him after stunning him with concussion grenades. Took like 4 barrels on hard mode.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Lonesome Road DLC Next Month, Two More DLC to Follow
10. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Lonesome Road DLC Next Month, Two More DLC to Follow Aug 25, 2011, 16:18 StingingVelvet

Sounds great... New Vegas and its DLC has really shown Bethesda how to do it if you ask me. Even the gun pack is a real value with over 20 new guns and new ammo types, all of it balanced.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews
44. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 22, 2011, 19:42 StingingVelvet

vrok wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 19:36:
Did you believe all the reviews for MW2 as well? Waiting for more accurate player reviews, a sale, a patch or whatever, when you're not entirely convinced the game is actually that good, isn't being crazy or cheap. It's called being rational.

The CoD games are extremely good at what they do, you and I just don't like what they do. Also, if you actually read reviews you can judge what they are praising and why, the scores matter little. What is being praised about this game makes it a sure winner for me. What is being bashed is of little consequence to me. It's called reading comprehension!

41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 22, 2011, 19:39 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 18:34:
The reviews are funny in that some say the AI is dumb, while others like it, and some reviews say the voice acting isn't that great, but others specifically mention how it's good.

Different people want different things from AI. For example some want it to act like a human would, others want it to facilitate gameplay. Sounds like HR is good at the latter.

8. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 22, 2011, 14:52 StingingVelvet

I'm pretty bummed it's midnight Pacific time... that's 3AM here, which basically means I won't get to play until tomorrow.  

News Comments > John Carmack on RAGE
18. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 00:18 StingingVelvet

RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 23:06:
Maybe they can get back to Quake once this Rage stuff is done. If anyone will still care about Quake by then.

Well Doom 4 is their next announced project... I would guess Quake is a likely game for after that.

14. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 21, 2011, 22:51 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 21:59:
I hope he's talking about consoles. If Doom 4 SP is capped at 30 FPS on PC, a lot of people are going to be pissed.

Normally I would say of course he is talking about consoles, but there was that brief mention of the 60fps tomfoolery being used on PCs for Rage. Something about skipping frames or lowering resolution dynamically? Better be able to turn that shit off.

2. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 21, 2011, 19:58 StingingVelvet

Looking back now, we have PCs that are an order of magnitude more powerful, and if our workflow is instead focused on explicitly on just... you build and develop on the PC, and you decimate things into a target for the consoles.

WOW WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
79. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 21, 2011, 14:59 StingingVelvet

vrok wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 14:47:
You don't 'have' to do anything. It's an option, what Deus Ex is all about IMO, choice and consequence. Sometimes you use it, sometimes you don't. Not every fight requires it and/or is worth spending energy on, and if you're surprised you can get properly punished for it.

Well for one thing you don't really know you need rocket defense ahead of time, so you end up looking for the F10 key in the middle of a real-time shootout, which is ass. Maybe some people can hit F10 quickly without looking and get back to WASD quickly without looking, but I can't. So usually it meant: start fight, realize rockets are a problem, quick-load, turn on rocket defense, start fight. And that's kind of lame.

They don't. How would that even work anyway? Automatically drain energy when firing/being fired upon? Sounds even worse.

Well recoil reduction is a likely one that has to be energy-free of permanent, but stuff like rocket defense, environmental resistance or power jumping can use energy when you use it without activation.

75. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 21, 2011, 13:18 StingingVelvet

vrok wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 04:57:
I can't think of a single reason why it isn't like that except that the current system is 'easier to use', aka shoot shit and press X to win if you get close and don't worry about everything else because it's always on. Maybe I'm biased, but I just can't think of another reason.

It was definitely done to make the game more streamlined and fun, to take away having to press a button before firing to use your recoil reduction mod. You're not wrong. Where you are wrong, in my opinion, is in saying this is a bad thing. There are real differences between streamlining and dumbing down and this falls into streamlining for me... I hated having to juggle F-keys in the original to use stuff like bullet resistance and rocket defense.

That said it should cost energy so that there is a penalty for using augs. I was under the impression that even though certain augs would be automatic they would still have an energy cost?

63. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 21, 2011, 03:54 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 02:46:
Yes, but he specifically stated that he often felt like he was playing Splinter Cell, which is a stealth game.

You can play stealth games as a silent killer, striking form the shadows. Often this results in some confrontations.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2011, 04:01.

39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 18:47 StingingVelvet

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 18:25:
If you buy a retail box of a game, you can "resell" it. It will be deactivated from your account, and activated for the other person.

Hahahahaha... no sir, it does not work that way.

37. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 17:48 StingingVelvet

Rabble rabble anything on a console is terrible for these half-hearted and half-optional reasons rabble rabble!  

19. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 13:50 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 13:43:
Dues Ex, even with the leak, didn't strike me as a "must play at launch". Partly due to being single player only, Dead Island is coop, and more people will be playing at launch.

Funny how people are different. The fact it is singleplayer only makes me MORE likely to want it.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Demo
16. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Demo Aug 20, 2011, 13:39 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 09:55:
Forget the 4.5 Gigs... it's an Ubisoft game... why would you even bother???

You know damn well the full release will have bullshit DRM.... so not's not even worth the utilization towards your bandwidth cap, to try the demo.

Singleplayer was confirmed as having no DRM at all by the developers. I guess From Dust makes even that suspect though.

News Comments > Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A
5. Re: Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A Aug 20, 2011, 13:37 StingingVelvet

Tavil wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 13:02:
And what "crappy" game are you referring to? Certainly not Minecraft

Pretty sure he can think Minecraft is crappy.

14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 13:35 StingingVelvet

the_culture wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 13:16:
No, I have a full retail copy on Steam.

You in the press? There is really no other way to get it early, Steam has everything locked down.

7. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Demo Aug 20, 2011, 03:04 StingingVelvet

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 01:52:
What because there's too much content and your 28.8 modem can't handle it? Jeez, talk about going out of your way to find something to complain about. Downloading now...

Because people who want to check out the game real quick will be deterred by a download that will take hours, yes. I think it was a dumb move.

3. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Demo Aug 20, 2011, 01:50 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 00:27:
Holy shit! 4.5 GB demo?!

Seriously. I went from excited to try it to never mind in about 4 seconds.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo