Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio
8. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 13:41 StingingVelvet

I watched a quicklook of their game on giantbomb and it was so bad it was literally laughable.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears
14. Re: Tribes: Ascend Delayed Until Next Year; Closed Beta Nears Sep 14, 2011, 13:37 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:15:
Anyway, T:A looks pretty bad. They're trying to add a bunch of modern elements (health regen, classes, two-weapon limits, hitscan weapons, unlockables) that really are not exactly like previous Tribes game.

Fixed that for you.

News Comments > DICE: PC is Battlefield 3 "Lead Platform"
32. Re: DICE: PC is Battlefield 3 Sep 14, 2011, 03:21 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 01:58:
Oh, I already know that the PC version of any game will always look the best. I'm more concerned about the UI. The UI shown in the screenshots and videos of Skyrim is very clearly designed for consoles. I'd like to see what, if any, changes are being made for the PC version.

They said somewhere... on their forum or in an interview... that the PC will get its own UI this time. How true that is or what that means will of course be something we only know at release. I could see it happening though, I bet their PC sales have been steadily increasing with the rise of Steam and with cheaper tech versus relatively stagnant gpu requirements.

I doubt it will play like the PC was the main platform though, naturally. Bethesda does not hide the fact that the Xbox is their target market.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: the Cartel
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Juarez: the Cartel Sep 14, 2011, 03:17 StingingVelvet

Really a shame to see this series driven into the ground like this. The original was a very good game with the "US patch" which toned down the stealth and limited arrows. The second one was great as a sort of CoD game in the wild west, and looked gorgeous.

Why they tanked the whole thing with this is beyond me.

News Comments > Xbox LIVE on Windows 8
37. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 03:16 StingingVelvet

If you're an Xbox gamer who uses a PC for non-gaming stuff this probably sounds awesome. I think their tablets and phones are going to use the same setup as well, which no doubt will also be seen as awesome by a lot of people.

It's not for me, and I will likely avoid it barring some amazing exclusive, but I get where they are going. The future is services for all your media and MS want to be a major player.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback
18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback Sep 14, 2011, 01:26 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 20:49:
Most other games this short length at least have multiplayer included.

For what you get, this game is definitely overpriced more than most.

If it ain't Battlefield or what-not then nobody is playing the fucking multiplayer anyway. A 6 hour campaign is standard for $60 games now-a-days and this one is 7 hours and $30.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback Sep 13, 2011, 19:13 StingingVelvet

Icewind wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 18:44:
Steam isn't *really* DRM.

BTW, I love that tin foil hat you wear. Does it really block government laser rays the way you folks claim it does?

At least I have a basic understanding of what DRM is.

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback Sep 13, 2011, 18:39 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 16:23:
Over priced for the basic gameplay and length.

If this is true then so is almost every other shooter.

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Hard Reset: Includes Changes Based on Demo Feedback Sep 13, 2011, 18:37 StingingVelvet

I like how they told Ars Technica the game would be DRM free, yet it is Steam exclusive. Marketing!

Anyway, bought it.

News Comments > Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a "Visceral FPS Experience"
24. Re: Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a Sep 11, 2011, 16:21 StingingVelvet

Fletch wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 15:14:
StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 13:52:

If it's the gameplay stupid then it shouldn't matter what it's called as long as it's a good game. Given Starbreeze is making it I think that outcome is pretty likely.

OK, fine. But Syndicate (and X-Com) was defined by it's atmosphere and gameplay. It may indeed be a good fps, but as far as I'm concerned, it isn't a Syndicate game, just like the new X-Com isn't an X-Com game. I'd love to see both those games remade and updated, but I doubt you would get a "Finally!" out of any fan of either when they realized their beloved game was being "re-imagined" as a FPS.

I don't think anyone is arguing it's going to be a real Syndicate sequel. I think I'm arguing that is irrelevant to it being a good game.

8. Re: Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a Sep 11, 2011, 13:53 StingingVelvet

peteham wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 13:44:
Fletch wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 13:36:
A FPS with the Syndicate name is NOT a Syndicate remake. It's a completely different game, just like the new X-com is a completely different game.
What I don't really get is what they get out of making a sequel like this.. Surely the target audience of this "visceral fps" will barely even have heard of the original, whereas those who still remember the original game won't exactly be all that enthusiastic about the new direction? I guess there's a suit somewhere who figures some brand recognition is better than none...

Yes, suits think an known IP is better than none, even if the IP was never that popular or cherished. Since every gaming blog has gone on and on about this more than an average new IP it's not hard to see why they think that.

7. Re: Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a Sep 11, 2011, 13:52 StingingVelvet

Fletch wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 13:36:
A FPS with the Syndicate name is NOT a Syndicate remake. It's a completely different game, just like the new X-com is a completely different game.

It's the GAMEPLAY, stupid.

If it's the gameplay stupid then it shouldn't matter what it's called as long as it's a good game. Given Starbreeze is making it I think that outcome is pretty likely.

News Comments > What's Next for Frictional?
22. Re: What's Next for Frictional? Sep 10, 2011, 23:15 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 23:02:
Didn't see that announcement of Witcher 2 selling almost a million. While that's certainly better than 400k, I can't help but imagine that CDP is slightly disappointed. The first game sold 1.5 million and had considerably less hype, marketing and budget than Witcher 2. I'm sure Witcher 2 will eventually sell 1.5 million but I think CDP was hoping for it to have at least double the sales of the first game.

I'm not sure the PC still has the RPG user base to sell 3 million copies of anything, honestly. A shooter maybe...

20. Re: What's Next for Frictional? Sep 10, 2011, 21:21 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 04:03:
If Hard Reset has similar sales figures THAT would be disappointing.

I don't think it would be that disappointing. Hard Reset has had about as much marketing as Amnesia and it's also a very niche, old-school, non-military shooter. Granted, it has a higher budget but I'd be really surprised if it sold more than 400k. Keep in mind that Witcher 2 has sold 400k thus far and that game's marketing, hype and budget easily surpass both Amnesia and Hard Reset combined.

As said by others TW2 is at almost a million.

In any event, my point was that Amnesia is a niche title on a niche platform, so 400k is pretty good. Hard Reset is a more mainstream title on a niche platform, so I would expect it to do better. Though now that I am seeing reviews and demo reaction for Hard Reset, I would take that back.

9. Re: What's Next for Frictional? Sep 10, 2011, 03:39 StingingVelvet

I think the 400,000/75% in sales figure is less disappointing when you consider that a really scary horror game like this is a pretty niche title. I bought it reluctantly during a sale just to support them, knowing I would probably never play it. It's just not something a lot of people are going to get super excited about and their decision to move on a bit is a good one.

If Hard Reset has similar sales figures THAT would be disappointing.

News Comments > On Hard Reset DRM
18. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 20:47 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 20:33:
Repeated for effect, folks.

They want to make money. They NEED to make money if they're going to put out any further games. That's why they're on steam primarily and not GoG or Gamersgate. It's pretty simple and straight-forward.

Sure, but that still doesn't make his comment correct. The game uses DRM, flat-out, no debate. He says it doesn't. Hence people pointing out the error.

That said the interview says the game will be coming to multiple stores and does not specifically say it is Steamworks across the board, so maybe Gamesgate and other sites will have it DRM free. You never know.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod
1. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 14:39 StingingVelvet

Not sure how you could play without health regen, there are way too few healing items to compensate.  

News Comments > On EVE Online and Dust 514
5. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 18:16 StingingVelvet

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 16:33:
This HAS to come out on PC. Has to.

It's just baffling to me that it isn't.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution "The Missing Link" DLC Next Month
35. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Sep 3, 2011, 18:16 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 12:29:
I'm glad it will integrate in the game. I hope it will just seamlessly transition when you're doing a playthrough, as well.

Well they confirmed you launch it from the main menu... I guess they could also make it so it happens in a new playthrough though.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution "The Missing Link" DLC Next Month
19. Re: removed Sep 3, 2011, 04:49 StingingVelvet

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 00:00:
The original was one of my favorite games of all time, never played the second due to mediocre reviews, unfortunately threw in the towel after playing the third for a single evening. The cover system drove me insane, it kept taking me out of the game emotionally and immersively everytime I switched from first to third person. Ahh well, gamestop gave me a $50 gift card for free after buying the PC version from them.

Dude, just unbind the key for cover and never use it. It's not required in any way.

Also not playing a game because of reviews is silly. A ton of games I have loved got poor review averages, like Risen for example.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo