Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 16, 2011, 20:11 StingingVelvet

Overon wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 20:08:
Why wouldn't the developers or publishers see money from the cdkey sites? How are these cd keys obtained? Someone had to buy them? They didn't just make them up otherwise they wouldn't work.

As said, a lot of them get the keys illegally. Others get the keys from very poor countries for extremely low prices, then sell them to rich Western countries.

Either way you're ripping the publisher off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
118. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:58 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 14:04:
And Origin uses 84MB of RAM when idle; Steam users 12MB.

I rebooted (and hence restarted Steam/Origin) less than an hour ago. Steam is using 87MB right now. Origin is using 73MB. Not arguing the rest of your points, but let's not give undue credit to Steam.

Also you can run Origin games without Origin running, making its memory footprint a moot point.

117. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:57 StingingVelvet

PHJF wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 11:40:
It's all well and good for a publisher like EA to be motivated by money, but some of us like to think there are developers out there who sincerely want to make good games. "Back in the day" I would read about Peter Molyneux, Will Wright, Sid Meier and eagerly anticipate their products. I think we all know what happened then.

More people than ever buy these things though. They're making a ton of people happy, just not making YOU happy.

Well... in general I mean, who knows how Rage sold.

116. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:55 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 09:24:
No graphics options out-of-the-box. Horrible mouse acceleration in menus. 'Press Enter' to start. Textures optimised for 720p (as stated by Carmack at QuakeCON 2011) and consoles - no consideration made for digital distribution on PC. Poor inventory system (no click-and-drag). Console optimised quick-menu for weapons - you cannot change secondary ammo types for a weapon outside your quick-four. Quicksave actually pauses the game.

Plus Carmack admitted they were too focused on the console version, which is patently obvious at this point.

None of that shit really bothers me, sorry.

Well the graphics options thing did, but they patched that in what, 2 days? That's pretty good.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 16, 2011, 19:54 StingingVelvet

CeeJay wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 18:20:
Aren't all online CD-key sites scams that intercept keys going to legitimate customers and resell them?

Sure the keys often work .. but the developers see no money from the sale.

It's cute you think he cares, but I promise you he doesn't.

85. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 08:49 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 08:26:
All I ask is that the game be made to work properly on a PC, be released within a reasonable amount of time following the console release (if a concurrent release is not possible for whatever reason), and not be uglier than it is on the console. Even if it only can match the consoles visuals, I at least get the benefit of higher resolutions and adjustable AA and such.

As far as the game itself, it looks pretty good gameplay-wise and I will undoubtedly pick it up at some point in the future (just not for full price).

How did Rage fail you in this regard? It looks much better than the console versions, it works just fine and it plays great in my experience with KBM, barring a couple rare menu issues.

I'm with you really, I try not to get mad at multiplatform games for not playing like PC exclusives. I try not to get irritated by the lack of improvements and focus on what's there being the best it can be (higher res, AA, mouse aim, etc.). That's my quality standard and if a multiplatform game ends up playing like a real PC game, like say Deus Ex: HR, then it's an awesome bonus.

Very few games are worse on PC than console. VERY few. Splinter Cell Double Agent, Saint's Row 2 and Resident Evil 4 are rare examples (and even those are arguable with mods and tweaks applied).

84. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 08:46 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 03:37:
It only makes sense if your only (not primary - only) goals it to make money.

You hit it right on the head. Professional game development is a business, first and foremost. Publishers don't exist to innovate. They exist to profit. Right now, developing for consoles is how you maximize profit. Publishers don't care that console hardware is obsolete. They only care that the vast majority of consumers use console hardware to play games.

I'm not saying I agree with this mentality. I'd love for publishers to focus on PC development and really push the boundaries of both innovation and technology. However, what I want and what reality demands are sometimes two very different things. There's no point in getting frustrated about it because your anger isn't going to change a thing. If you want things to change, you'll have to do one of the following:

1) Become an indie developer that creates PC-exclusive games that are innovative and technically amazing.
2) Create a publisher that funds innovative and technically amazing PC-exclusives.
3) Boycott any games that aren't PC-exclusive.

Exxaaactly.

People who complain about EA only wanting money baffle me. What do you want them to be motivated by? They're a corporation, they only exist to make money for their shareholders. That's it, that's their entire purpose. Same with Bethesda, same with Activision, same with any gaming company. Even most indies are looking to pay the rent first and foremost, they just see innovation as the way to do that because they don't have the dev budget to focus on much else.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link Next Week; Price Details
41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link Next Week; Price Details Oct 15, 2011, 19:44 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 19:40:
And yet in so many ways $3 an hour for entertainment is super cheap. Compare it to a movie, a concert, a theme park, whatever.

Sadly, those things are horribly overpriced. $10 to watch a two hour movie is insane. Now, if you're paying $10 for a BluRay with lots of special features for a movie that you love and know you'll watch many, many times over the years, that makes more sense.

New movies on Bluray are $25 or so usually, and I can replay Deus Ex just as much as I can rewatch a movie. Probably more so, given the multiple play styles. I have already played the main game through twice, stealthy and loud.

In any case it's all relative, was my point. I doubt I will feel at all fleeced after purchasing.

47. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 15, 2011, 19:41 StingingVelvet

JediPunisher wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 19:24:
Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 16:06:
... but John's view of the PC market, when he is one of the virtual pioneers of PC gaming, is disheartening.

Remember that Carmack's first successful PC game, Commander Keen, came about from his love of Nintendo and his desire to bring console games to the PC...
more specifically, he wanted to use his technical prowess to prove the PC was as powerful as a videogame console...

Well, he's done it again - My $3,000 i7-980x, 12GB, HD5850 xfire PC runs Rage just as well as my 6 year old XBox360... well, almost, other than the occasional framerate hitches. Wall

Is he supposed to pretend the Xbox doesn't outsell the PC by like 5-to-1? It's like the Matrix up in here, let's all pretend we're eating steak when we're actually in a tube.

41. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 15, 2011, 18:33 StingingVelvet

I assumed the smaller details having terrible textures was just part of the game, not something they could patch. Eager to see what comes of this, though I'll probably be done with the game by the time they patch it again.

Keep trying to convince me to wait on buying your games, developers!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link Next Week; Price Details
39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link Next Week; Price Details Oct 15, 2011, 18:32 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 04:12:
They said it was ~ 5 hours.

So $3 an hour. Not the best deal, considering I got over 60 hours from the full game which cost me $50. Considerably more work went into that $50 as well because the devs had to create almost everything from scratch. Most of the code, scripting and assets in this DLC were already created in the original game.

And yet in so many ways $3 an hour for entertainment is super cheap. Compare it to a movie, a concert, a theme park, whatever.

News Comments > PC Costume Quest Released
3. Re: PC Costume Quest Released Oct 15, 2011, 18:31 StingingVelvet

This and Bastion are the kind of games I used to buy right away because they're different and cheap, then never play. I have finally taught myself to resist.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Subscriptions Return
11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Subscriptions Return Oct 14, 2011, 15:49 StingingVelvet

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 11:09:
They really went about this announcement the wrong way. This was basically like saying, "Hey guys, we know we messed up and we know we're still fixing the problems, but start paying us now anyway."

What they needed to do was really get the game to a point where it could be called a great game. THEN do a massive relaunch campaign where players would be offered another free month of this 2.0 version of the game.

The way things are, they are going to lose a lot of players and I don't see any motive for new players to come on board.

The funny thing is that they originally said they would fix the game, then charge a sub. Now they are saying they need a sub to fix the game. I wouldn't support them at all even if I wanted to play the game, which I don't.

31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link Next Week; Price Details Oct 14, 2011, 00:22 StingingVelvet

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 19:04:
$15.00 is in the price range of the "Expansion Packs" of the late 90's.

If by "in the range" you mean half of the price.

In any event more DX:HR is insta-buy for me.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed
32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 13:27 StingingVelvet

"the decision to go multiplayer"

Wonder how honest they are. "EA thought it would drive first-hand sales."

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Always-on DRM?
64. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Always-on DRM? Oct 9, 2011, 01:45 StingingVelvet

NicklePop wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 23:33:
2. DRM is a response to the aforementioned fuck-nuts that fucked everything up, and as much as I hate it, I get it

DRM is used to prevent resale and to give companies complete control over the game. It has nothing to do with piracy and does not prevent piracy.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
79. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 02:19 StingingVelvet

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 02:08:
Sure am glad I didn't buy this piece of shit game.

Just because it led on consoles, which honestly is the smart choice, doesn't mean it's a shitty game. If you like pure shooters it's a pretty good game and once you tweak it a bit it looks amazing on the PC, barring some nasty textures hidden in corners.

The main issue with PC gamers on the internet is their dramatic whining about everything. Me included, at times.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
66. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 8, 2011, 01:02 StingingVelvet

The only issue I have with his comments is that very often the PC outsells the PS3 version in shooters and RPGs. Worldwide sales taken into account, of course.  

News Comments > More on Scrolls Legal Battle
24. Re: More on Scrolls Legal Battle Oct 7, 2011, 08:28 StingingVelvet

Wetworks wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 08:11:
It's just cheap publicity for Scrolls at this point. As long as Notch hires a cheap lawyer and resigns himself to losing in court he can milk this for all it's worth.

Every time a site posts an article related to this topic it automatically generates buzz and interest for Scrolls.

Which will by then be called something else and benefit very little from it. I think he's just stubborn and opinionated and has the money to be.

News Comments > More on Scrolls Legal Battle
21. Re: More on Scrolls Legal Battle Oct 7, 2011, 04:16 StingingVelvet

The stupid trademark system is more at fault here than either Bethesda or Mojang. Pete Hines is pretty much correct when he says Bethesda are forced to do this.

If Mojang were smart they would change the name.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo