Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Specs
22. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 22, 2011, 18:17 StingingVelvet

everyone wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 16:55:
It may be a good deal for you , but that doesn't mean it is for everyone else. Here in the UK, games are significantly cheaper when bought in a box, and boxed copies being tied to a dd service is just nonsensical.
Whether or not Steam provides any real benefits is entirely subjective, as well. For me, it's just one more pointless hoop to jump through.

When I say this kind of stuff on here I get endless replies about being a "Steam basher" and shit like that. It's true though, for singleplayer gamers who don't care about social networking features Steam is really just a hassle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview
6. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:16 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 14:31:
That, or the digital distribution of this game is going to be unprecedented.

The Xbox and PS3, the main formats for this game, do not have day one digital distribution very often, if ever.

News Comments > The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview
5. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:13 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 15:04:
God, I can't wait for Skyrim... I've already warned my wife not to expect to see me for the next 500 or so hours after it comes out. :)

I'm extremely excited about it despite thinking Oblivion was disappointing. Can't wait, honestly.

20. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 22, 2011, 12:47 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 07:55:
Because Steamworks means you can buy the game for the best deal and not have to worry about other digital distributor's crappy DRM? If you buy it from any digital distributor, you're going to have to deal with DRM anyway. Might as well make it Steamworks, since that actually provides some benefits.

Gamersgate doesn't have its own DRM really, as I have explained to you before. That means I get non-Steamworks games with only the DRM publishers add to them, which usually they add to the Steam release as well.

I usually buy Steamworks games on Steam and everything else at GG.

19. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 22, 2011, 12:45 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 01:16:
Except I can't think of any game that had Steam achievements but didn't use Steamworks.

Actually there are a lot of games that have achievements and other Steam features on Steam but are not Steamworks everywhere. The Witcher 2 and Borderlands are the first to pop into my mind but there are many more.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 19:34 StingingVelvet

jimnms wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 17:49:
And you don't get the same XP for going lethal or non lethal. A non lethal take-down gives you 50 XP, and a head shot with the tranquilizer gives you a total of 40 XP. A head shot with a gun gives you 20 XP.

I'm pretty sure the non-lethal bonus is 20. Even if it is 50 though, or 100, or whatever... you don't need more XP than you will get playing whatever way you desire. In my balls to the wall guns playthrough I still had tons of extra praxis without much to spend it on toward the end of the game. Just play how you want.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Oct 19, 2011, 14:10 StingingVelvet

This patch finally killed all the stuttering for me. Awesome!  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Oct 19, 2011, 14:09 StingingVelvet

ShakaUVM wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 12:12:
The biggest problem they need to change is the FOV and eye bob problems that induce nausea.

FOV? That's been in the options menu since launch.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 14:07 StingingVelvet

jimnms wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 23:39:
I finished DX:HR over the weekend. It took me 89 hours, but I'm a bit OCD and have to make sure I explore every inch. It was one of the better games of recent years, but I was left disappointed by it.

A lot of the augments were useless, and I saved my praxis points until I needed them. At one point I had 14 unused point, so I went ahead and fully upgraded dermal armor for the stupid boss battles, and the cloaking thing even though I'd made it that far without using it. I wasn't going for a pacifist run, but I was doing stealth and non-lethal because you get more XP. By the end of the game I had 9 unspent points. I never upgraded the battery things because I got by just fine with the single re-generating cell. I did upgrade the regen speed of unused cells though. I carried 5 of those energy bar things with me, and if I came across another one I just ate it. I never found a place where I needed more than two cells.

I felt the whole take-down system kind of ruins the game and made the stun gun completely useless. First, why bother with having a lethal or non lethal option? You get more XP for a non-lethal take-down and there is no down side to using it, but using the lethal take-down causes any enemy on the map to hear it. They should have reversed it, have the lethal take-down quick and silent, but the non-lethal take-down louder. That would make doing a pacifist run much more challenging and make the stun gun useful.

It was also way too easy to get XP. After finishing a mission stealthily and getting the bonuses, you could turn around, go back and kill everyone for more XP.

I find it amusing that the stuff you get from XP you say was useless, but then you still went way out of your way and altered your play style just to farm said useless XP. You DO have OCD! You do get XP from headshots though, which is a bonus for lethal that equals the non-lethal bonus. The only unbalanced thing is the ghost bonus really, and you can get that lethally as long as you use silenced weapons.

Also some of the upgrades are just minor convieneince things, sure, but can't that be said of almost any progression system? Cloak and armor and recoil reduction and all that stuff is not essential to beating the game, no, but they still offer benefits. You could ignore a lot of upgrades in every RPG and still finish the game, that doesn't make them pointless.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 14:04 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 12:47:
Have the devs confirmed that's not the case? I've not been following it that closely.

It's a completely separate launcher and everything dude, like an old-school FPS expansion. It can't be cut into the main game.

And honestly that's good. It was designed to be played separately and the original campaign was designed to not have it. I would be annoyed if I could no longer play the game as it was released.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 18, 2011, 19:17 StingingVelvet

MajorD wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 18:31:
I'm still playing through the game, but by the time I finish it, hopefully the DLC will be much less. I'm with eunichron, as I'm not BIG on DLC either, but DE: HR is such a good game it just may be worth it if/when the DLC goes on sale.

I don't really get having a blanket policy on DLC. Just like games and expansions DLC varies in quality and worth, so covering it all with the same statement seems odd.

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
144. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 18, 2011, 11:56 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 10:01:
That's not true, it literally uses Origin for a validation launcher and nothing more. It has two web plugins it uses for VoIP and Friends list functionality. It's not the same as Steam either but whatever, we're getting far off topic.

Well if ME3, Reckoning and Syndicate require Origin then I'll be right there complaining about it, so... we don't really disagree. I am just saying I'm not counting on it until they do it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
51. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2011, 09:44 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 08:31:
Can I ask what it actually has that other shooters don't?

A game in development for that long and I'm not really hearing anything from the people who say its good apart from: 'The shooting is done well.' or 'The driving is fun.'

I mean, really? A game in development for how long? That's it? The story is meh. The characters are meh. Is that really worth anywhere close to $60?

Being "just" a really good shooter is enough for people that want to play really good shooters. I don't see why there is so much pressure to innovate in every game. Then half the innovations come out annoying and people complain about that too. You can't please everyone.

Rage is a unique looking shooter with cool hub sections and fun car combat. That's plenty for me. Is it a little disappointing in some areas? Sure, but what game isn't? Even the mighty Deus Ex 3 disappoints in some areas like only having 2 hubs and the boss fights, but it's still probably the best game I have played in years.

142. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 18, 2011, 09:41 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 09:09:
Actually it's confirmed to require Origin in retail. So much for Origin's sole advantage. I'll bet all upcoming games not already in development require Origin, why wouldn't EA do that? It's their only chance to one up Steam as they don't even have parity on the feature front. And if we were talking about Steam and there was a single exception to something you would state the entire rule was void so I'm just playing the flipside here.

Well it's an online focused game that launched from a web browser and uses Origin's communication functions extensively. If you don't see how it could be different from Mass Effect 3 in requiring Origin, well... agree to disagree.

As for eating crow I have no idea what that is about. Not needing to run the client is benefit over Steam. If they start requiring the client then it's the same as Steam. There's no real crow to eat there.

139. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 18, 2011, 01:10 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:26:
The PC ports of Bethesda's RPGs aren't all that great. Bethesda puts minimal effort into them. They don't even redesign the UI, which is why UI mods are among the first mods to be made. I'll give them credit for releasing mod tools but the actual ports themselves are simply average.

Have you played the 360 versions of Fallout 3 and Oblivion? The PC versions are drastically better, even before mod tools. Fallout 3 alone had much better textures, much better distances and much better particle effects/water/fog/etc. Even little things like having "e" take all items or allowing a button for running forward without input is something most RPG ports do not think about.

Now they don't tailor the gameplay or menus to the PC like Deus Ex 3 for example, this much is true. On the scale of port quality though I would still give them high marks, especially when you consider the mentioned mod tools.

138. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 18, 2011, 01:07 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 10:01:
You can't say this as a generalism anymore, there are enough games out now and coming out that can't run without Origin that it's certainty is questionable at best.

You mean... one? That was a beta?

Okay.

When it's actually no longer true then I will say it is no longer true. And then at that point it will be the same as Steam, a DRM system millions upon millions seem to think is fine, so...

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2011, 01:06 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 10:05:
If you buy a lot of something you're hopefully smart enough to search for bargains because it's not your job to keep a company in business. I don't weigh every single gaming purchase as if the future of the developer in question depends on how I bought it.

There's a massive difference between looking for a bargain and using the internet to buy American games at Taiwan prices.

News Comments > XIII Returning Next Month
11. Re: XIII Returning Next Month Oct 18, 2011, 01:04 StingingVelvet

Judging by platforms this will be a casual game of some kind. Probably an interactive story of some kind, either hidden object or puzzle.  

News Comments > Christina Hendricks in Need for Speed: The Run
2. Re: Christina Hendricks in Need for Speed: The Run Oct 17, 2011, 11:13 StingingVelvet

Red hair + big boobs = qualified for ANYTHING, Blue.  

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 17, 2011, 09:16 StingingVelvet

PHJF wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 20:15:
Either way you're ripping the publisher off.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

If you like chocolate you probably shouldn't chop down the chocolate tree.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo