Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week
6. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week Oct 25, 2011, 10:57 StingingVelvet

Hoping for launch day PC version this time, but I know that is not going to happen.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Specs
39. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 11:00 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 08:52:
Pretty much because StingingVelvet rarrr rarr Steam rarrrrr.

Keep belittling me to suit your preconceived notions. I enjoy it so much.

38. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 24, 2011, 10:58 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 06:18:
Why must my reason be one that isn't shared across all stores? What difference does that make to the fact that I like using Steam?

Because the whole point of the conversation you chimed in on was why Steam's features would please singleplayer only gamers. That was the entire point I was discussing. So when you come in and say "I am a singleplayer gamer and like Steam" it gives me the impression there is something about Steam that appeals to you as a singleplayer gamer. I wanted to know what that was.

I guess you have nothing though, so... okay?

News Comments > The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview
63. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 10:57 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 01:59:
That's just what they're saying to be polite. We know you're just stubbornly sticking to something dumb you said years ago.

I'm really not. I mean if that makes you feel better about your PC issues then fine, believe what you want. I seriously 100% honestly never have issues though, ever.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted?
2. Re: Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted? Oct 24, 2011, 10:56 StingingVelvet

The last MoH wasn't terrible in singleplayer really. I mean it wasn't great, maybe not even good, but it was a fun 4 hours or so. Nowhere near worth $60 of course, but for like 10-20 it was alright I guess.

Okay nevermind it was shit.

58. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 24, 2011, 01:45 StingingVelvet

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 23:57:
Bethesda has listed plenty of quest and game-breaking bugs in their patch release notes, so the bugs were obviously there. If you never encountered them, then you're just very very lucky, and should probably quit talking about it before you jinx yourself, not that you'd ever admit that.

According to everyone in this thread I am the luckiest man on the planet.

56. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 23, 2011, 23:40 StingingVelvet

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 14:14:
Even if that's true, it's luck, not maintenance.

Believe what you want, but removing conflicts is obviously going to help stability.

55. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 23, 2011, 23:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 15:16:
The fact that all of Bethesda's RPGs have had numerous official patches is sufficient evidence that they have major and/or critical bugs. If you didn't personally experience any of these bugs, consider yourself lucky, but you can't dispute that these bugs existed when the patch changelists prove otherwise.

Almost every PC game gets a patch or two. By this reasoning every PC game is a buggy piece of shit.

54. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 23, 2011, 23:39 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 14:13:
If you are that lucky then you should be playing the REAL lottery. The cleanest PC imaginable was prone to BSOD's when Fallout 3 was new. I should know; I am OCD when it comes to keeping a clean PC, and it happened on all 3 of mine.

I haven't had a BSOD for any reason since Windows XP, and I updated to Vista on day one of the release candidate.

And yes, I bought and played all Bethesda games on day one.

35. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 23:30 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 16:33:
It's relevant for you, sure. However, I wasn't talking about other digital distributors. Your original point was against Steam, and that was what I was addressing. If you're going to try and steer me off course then don't be surprised when I take the wheel back.

I'm not really grasping what you are saying I guess. Why do you like Steam as a singleplayer gamer? Give me a reason that isn't shared across all stores.

News Comments > Blizzard DOTA Details
14. Re: Blizzard DOTA Details Oct 23, 2011, 23:28 StingingVelvet

raVen wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 23:25:
I don't get it, Valve has been hiring these guys that have been making mods. Turning it from a hobby to a working relationship where they get paid. (Most notably the CS guys)

I can see issues with the DOTA TM; but honestly they're trademarking the name not the style of game.

Since when is iteration on an awesome concept bad? (Especially, when it results in an awesome product?)

Because when a mod belongs to a ton of people it's kind of wrong to hire one of them and then try to copyright everything about it. I don't know much about this whole shebang honestly, but from what I have read the grievance is that Valve are trying to trademark something they didn't invent and didn't hire the people who invented it.

News Comments > Blizzard DOTA Details
9. Re: Blizzard DOTA Details Oct 23, 2011, 19:51 StingingVelvet

Yifes wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 18:23:
You guys bitch about Blizzard but I can't believe you'd turn a blind eye towards what Valve is doing: Valve is trying to steal the ownership rights and profit from what was a collaborate work of the gaming community.

Valve have put a lot of time and money into getting a rep which allows them to do basically anything and no PC gamer complains.

30. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 12:50 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 12:02:
I'm sure that they're not Steam-specific, and I never claimed that they were. I was just affirming that I happen to like Steam. If you don't know what I mean by that, then perhaps a time-out is in order?

Your snarky reply is pretty unwarranted. You said you liked Steam even though you're a singleplayer gamer for reasons X and Y. Pointing out that X and Y apply to every digital distributor is pretty relevant.

45. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 23, 2011, 12:49 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 12:06:
No one is going to believe you won the gaming lottery and didn't encounter a crash or bug in a Bethesda game, they're kind of notorious for it. They are filled with scripting errors, quests broken and things like dogs wearing their eyes outside of their head. Maybe you hit the lucky combination of gameplay choices in one game but all of them? I'd believe you haven't had any bugs that prevented you from enjoying the game but saying you haven't had any at all means you are full of shit.

Believe what you want to believe, I never had any crashes or serious bugs in a Bethesda game. Well, maybe Daggerfall, I don't really remember back that far.

I'll do you one better, too: I never have crashes or serious bugs with almost ANY game. Every game people complain about crashing or being a buggy piece of shit, no problems here. The only modern game in the last decade that I had a problem playing was Frontlines: Fuel of War and even that was fixed by a patch.

I keep a very clean PC, no non-essential drivers or programs, nothing running when I run a game other than the game, updated drivers and utilities, defrag every week, etc. etc. I follow tweakguides.com's advice and setup guides. I never have a problem with PC games, ever.

28. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 11:42 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 02:58:
Personally, as a player who predominantly plays singleplayer and really doesn't care about social networking features, I like Steam. I don't see it as a hassle at all. I have more storage space and losing or damaging my games is no longer an issue. Perhaps I'm an exception, but I'd still prefer not to be tarred with the same brush.

The two benefits you list are not at all Steam specific, so I don't know what you mean. GOG or Gamersgate provide the same benefits and are the distribution method I very much prefer for singleplayer games.

27. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 11:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2011, 04:51:
I agree that having no DRM whatsoever would be ideal but sadly, that's not going to happen anytime soon. If I have to have online-based DRM, I prefer Steam. SecuRom activations offer no benefits whatsoever and you still risk losing the ability to activate your game if the activation servers ever go down, which, given the practices of most publishers, is more likely than the Steam servers ever going down.

The reason I prefer SecuROM is because it's simple. Type in the code, play the game, just like the serials of old. With Steam and other platforms I have to launch a client, deal with signing in, deal with client bugs, forced patching, patching only form their servers, etc. etc. For me it is a hassle while SecuROM is pain-free, other than the threat of them shutting down activations someday (and that is what fixed exes are for).

If the stuff Steam added was of any use to me maybe I would feel different, but it isn't.

43. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 23, 2011, 11:37 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 22:40:
Oh, nobody is arguing that Bethesda's RPGs aren't worth playing because of their bugs. We're simply arguing that their RPGs are in no way "nearly bug-free" or "flawless." They all have their fair share of bugs, mostly minor, some major and a few critical. Given the scope and complexity of their games, this isn't surprising.

It really does depend though. I have never had crashes or serious bugs with Bethesda games, not even once. The worst I have ever had was clipping issues or getting stuck in something.

24. Re: Batman: Arkham City Specs Oct 23, 2011, 01:01 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 20:59:
As for Steam's benefits, those aren't really arguable:

I bet I can argue them!

1) Games are tied to your Steam account, so if you reinstall or upgrade your OS or use a multi-boot setup, you merely need to install Steam to get your games working, rather than reinstalling every game one-by-one.

A benefit, sure, but worth account-based ownership? Not for me.

2) Automatic updates saves you the time and effort of manually searching for and installing patches.

Patches that mess with your game or mods are not able to be rolled back. Once you patch that's it. This has already screwed me up on several occasions.

3) Cloud saves let you retain your progress when playing a game on multiple machines, handy when you play games during lunch at work.

Can't really argue it's harmful, but I certainly can question how many people give a crap when it comes to "AAA" titles. Having one gaming PC is pretty rare now-a-days, let alone two.

4) Achievements are pretty worthless but they do give less creative players extra goals to work towards.

Yeah, irrelevant for me but no negative here. Well, some people dislike multiplayer achievements because they encourage bad play, but whatevs.

Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Nothing Steam does for singleplayer gaming comes anywhere close to outweighing the massive downside of DRM, account-based ownership and lessened control over the experience that Steam forces on you, IMO.

Same goes for Origin, GFWL and anything else similar. Give me a simple SecuROM activation over all of them any day of the week.

15. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:46 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:44:
Don't care about the consoles. Not sorry, either.

Dude, your point was that no gold announcement yet means this and that unless they're planning for full digital. My point back to you is that that is impossible, given their main platforms. It has nothing to do with which platform you personally "care about."

14. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 19:45 StingingVelvet

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 19:27:
Not sure what you're talking about. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were nearly bug free out of the box. They had to be, too, because of the console versions. The few issues that remained were addressed in patches. Bethesda definitely has an admirable track record in the post-Daggerfall era. If you wanna hate then hate on something else. Something that actually makes sense or something...

That's been my experience as well, pretty much bug-free games. So many people endlessly complain about Bethesda games and bugs though, so there must be some truth to it. My mantra, as always, is to keep a clean PC.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo