Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
25. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 2, 2011, 14:54 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 14:26:
It still plays poorly now on the system in my signature, so it's definitely poorly coded. The problem comes in that all the previous GTA games were released on PC, so they knew that whatever they developed would need to scale. Instead they gave zero consideration to the PC version.

It plays fine on my PC, which is worse than yours, so I don't know what to tell you.

Quite good? You can't say that with a straight face. The menus were heavily controller centric and the game lacked even basics like anti-aliasing. It had slightly higher resolution textures but that's only because that takes no time to implement - they just recompile with the higher quality textures. Not to mention the requirement for GFWL and the Rockstar Social Club, along with SecuROM. Corrupted saved games? Oh yes, that happened to me.

It didn't play like a PC exclusive from 1999, but it was a good port performance aside. Menus were fine IMO and you could tweak them, no AA is not a sign of anything, tons of PC exclusives have no AA options. As for the middleware, I played it offline and ignored all that stuff, so it bothered me very little. I have GFWL set up with an offline profile with notifications off, so I forget it even exists.

I still think that Mafia II is a valid comparison because it achieved a very similar thing. As I said, the gameplay was more restrictive but you had large numbers of vehicles, a large gameworld (not as large) that was freely accessible, pedestrians, etc. And the way it delivered the story was excellent. GTAIV excelled more with the driving and freeform nature of the gameplay but I didn't enjoy it as much.

Mafia 2 had much less physics and general weight to the world though, which is what the GTA4 engine was focused on. Also the pop-in in Mafia 2 is relatively close, similar to low settings in GTA4. It's easy to see why performance was different across very different engines.

It doesn't matter than the PC version was better than the console version - consoles are crippled, so that should obviously be the case. But it offered poor quality visuals, horrific performance and bundled countless middleware to bloat the process. After the excellent experience that was Vice City it was a shame.

Poor quality visuals? I can't agree there, GTA4 looks amazing if you ask me, especially when you consider how everything on screen is detailed and has real physics behind it. As for whether it matters of course it matters. If you want to play GTA4 you have three options to choose from and the PC version is the best one. Why would I not care about it due to some port issues when it's still the best way to play it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 2, 2011, 14:12 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 14:06:
Regardless, it was still a complete abortion of a PC game on a technical level. Whereas Mafia II offered much better graphics and excellent performance, even though the gameplay itself was much more restrictive. Don't get me wrong, I found GTAIV to be a very enjoyable game but it was a struggle to see past the horrible engine.

You can't compare one engine to another like you're doing, but I agree GTA4 had issues on the PC. I think it was just written so specifically for the processor-focused console hardware that it would have taken a LOT more development time and resources to port it right to the gpu-focused PC market than they were willing to spend. Most of the really fervent complaints came from people with average or lower processors and great video cards who didn't understand why the game wasn't playing great at max settings.

The port itself was quite good. They made higher resolution textures, the options menus were robust both in video and gameplay settings, it allowed you to use a gameplad and mouse combination, etc. etc. The only real issue was performance, which makes sense given the focus of the engine. The end-all-be-all remains that GTA4 on PC at low settings is still a much better looking and performing game than the console versions, which were very low-res, covered in a terrible blur filter and ran at 20-25fps most of the time.

I think it's a shame that the reaction to GTA4 on PC likely killed our chances of seeing Red Dead Redemption on PC, and maybe even GTA5. Even if they were identical ports to GTA4 they would still be the best versions of the games.

18. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 2, 2011, 13:31 StingingVelvet

necrosis wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 12:54:
Just have to wait and see if the PC version is a steaming turd like GTA IV.

PC version of GTA4 was a fuck lot better than the console ones.

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third PC Features and Specs
20. Re: Nov 2, 2011, 13:26 StingingVelvet

yuastnav wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 12:33:
I did not mean the gameplay, I mean the port.
People generally complain about the port of SR2 and, at least that is the impression that I have, seem to be of the opinion that Alpha Protocol is a better port. Which in my opinion it is not.

Alpha Protocol is a ten times better port than SR2 was. I can't even think of any port-related issues AP had, it was just low budget and kind of buggy in general, on all platforms.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Hacked to Work Without Origin?
1. Re: Battlefield 3 Hacked to Work Without Origin? Nov 2, 2011, 13:25 StingingVelvet

I know this is not the only site reporting this, but it amuses me that a PC game getting cracked is news in 2011. I get that the hubub about Origin is what makes it somewhat of a special mention, but still... of course it was cracked.  

15. Re: Nov 2, 2011, 09:55 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 23:00:
The last Saints Row game on the PC was one of the worst ports ever made, at its most playable state it made other terrible console ports seem like pc exclusive Blizzard titles.

I agree, but it was outsourced and the whole point of the article is that they're doing it in-house and better this time. The PC version of Red Faction: Armageddon was solid.

5. Re: Nov 1, 2011, 22:08 StingingVelvet

Lorcin wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 20:57:
Wow those features really convince me this ain't a console port.

Of course it's a console port, they would be idiots to do anything else. It can be a GOOD console port though.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012
16. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 19:51 StingingVelvet

No singleplayer = not interested.

I feel like I am going to be writing that more and more as the years go by.

News Comments > BF3 on Steam Hints
25. Re: BF3 on Steam Hints Oct 31, 2011, 19:50 StingingVelvet

Elessar wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:24:
What he's saying is, regardless if they release it on Steam, when you run it, it will more than likely launch Origin anyway. So in a way, buying it through Steam would just be like buying digital space to download BF3 install files. So it doesn't matter where you buy it from because you'll have to play it through Origin regardless. In fact, it might be worse if both Steam and Origin are required to launch it.

Indeed. Just like if you buy a Games for Windows Live game on Steam all it really means is you have to deal with Steam on top of GFWL. It doesn't make a GFWL game suddenly become a Steamworks game.

The chances of them making a special Steamworks version of the game are 0 out of 100.

News Comments > Indie Royale Adds More Sanctum DLC
16. Re: Indie Royale Adds More Sanctum DLC Oct 31, 2011, 01:12 StingingVelvet

Not even sure why I bought this since Gemini Rue is the only game up my alley and I already owned it. I guess for $2 any game is worth getting.

Nimbus and ARIES might be fun for 10 minutes.

News Comments > Domains Reveal Rainbow Six: Patriots
10. Re: Domains Reveal Rainbow Six: Patriots Oct 30, 2011, 00:37 StingingVelvet

I liked the Vegas games okay, but given Ubisoft's recent track record I don't have a ton of optimism for more R6 games from them. We shall see.  

News Comments > Postal III on Steam
12. Re: Postal III on Steam Oct 30, 2011, 00:33 StingingVelvet

Steam doesn't allow AO games so I guess this will be rated M?  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Nightwing Trailer
6. Re: Batman: Arkham City Nightwing Trailer Oct 27, 2011, 14:52 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 11:14:
The first game set a pretty high bar for animations and atmosphere, I'd say it holds up just as well if not makes minor improvements on it.

As far as I know the main improvements are larger areas with more on screen. The graphics quality itself seems the same, but in a large open city rather than smaller areas.

I haven't played it yet, though.

News Comments > BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized
65. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 14:51 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 12:51:
I have a gay sister. I have a gay friend. I am not outraged by his comments. My gay friend would think the whole thing was pretty funny, because unlike the primadonnas of the world, he has a sense of humor.

Just wanted to share.

My ex had a best friend who is a gay male and he used "fag" all the time, because just like me he grew up with it being a common term.

News Comments > No Cause for Just Cause 3 Rumor
3. Re: No Cause for Just Cause 3 Rumor Oct 27, 2011, 11:26 StingingVelvet

I wonder if vsynch works in my Just Cause 2 now. When it came out vsynch caused this weird slowdown effect, not at all a normal framerate issue, but actual slowdown as if it was FEAR.  

News Comments > BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized
21. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 11:22 StingingVelvet

"Gay" and "fag" were VERY commonly used words when I was in high school and after, mid-90's to early 2000's. It's going to take a lot of time for them to become the horrible slurs that instantly identify you as a homophobe that GLAAD and similar groups want them to be. Personally I bet that 80 year olds who were born in the 80's and 90's still say those words casually in 50 years, just like my grandpa still says all manner of shit currently considered racist/sexist/whatever. That's just human nature.

It's more about context than any words instantly identifying you as anything.

All that said, their performance was disgusting and not something I personally enjoy.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
104. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 26, 2011, 14:57 StingingVelvet

DedEye wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 19:14:
considering I bought Daggerfall back in the day for $120, and PC titles have generally stayed around $40-$60 over the past 10 or 15 years, I don't see that as too much for this game.

Indeed. Not only is a $10 increase over 20 years not that much at all, but games were not always $50 10 years ago either. I know for a fact from looking at advertisements in my boxes that Under a Killing Moon was $80 for example, and Warcraft 3 was $60. Doom 3 was $60 before the Xbox 360 came out.

News Comments > XIII Follow-up Not a Shooter
9. Re: XIII Follow-up Not a Shooter Oct 26, 2011, 14:30 StingingVelvet

AdamK47 wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 10:41:
This news is sure to upset some people. I know my interest in the game has dropped to nothing.

Only those not paying attention... when a game is announced for iPad, phones and PC what kind of game do you think it is? Not an FPS, obviously. Also given that it was a comic book first this kind of game makes perfect sense.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 14:21 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 12:02:
The campaign is no worse than any CoD campaign, or MoH's from last year. It's no better either, but certainly no worse.

It looked worse to me, even more scripted and controlled, but that could be because it was the opening.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 11:48 StingingVelvet

Giantbomb quicklook makes the campaign look flat-out embarrassing.  

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo