Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
21. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 01:58 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 00:12:
Now, whilst I don't quite share his disdain, I do agree heartily with the part I bolded. Yes, the game is nice to look at but it's not what true CRPG fans want. I'm just afraid that we won't see anymore hardcore(ish) major titles that will be made for us as it's all about pandering to the largest crowd for money now. I suspect that they'll probably do this with the next Fallout game too. Sigh. I dunno. Maybe it's time to find a new hobby.

I don't get this at all. Oblivion was a dumbed down and simplified piece of shit. Skyrim on the other hand takes back a lot of ground. You can focus on the lack of "stats" if you want, i.e. STR and END and such, but you're missing the MASSIVE upgrade to roleplaying that is the character progression system in this game. Every level you choose what to progress with and you have a very limited number of levels with which to do so. With the level cap being around 70 you have over 250 traits to choose from, meaning your character will be defined more than ever in a TES game.

Most of the rest of that rant is complaining about things missing from Morrowind that were already gone in Oblivion. Skyrim actually puts some complexity BACK, just like Fallout 3 did. Oblivion was their pandering to the simpleton newbies game, now they're actually putting some depth back in.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
127. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 12, 2011, 01:55 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 23:11:
It's considered RPG Lite because you can max out all your skills in a single playthrough and you aren't forced to play any one role. You can be everything to everyone. By the time I finish playing, I suspect I'll be a thief-assassin-ranger-fighter-mage and the grandmaster of every guild.

But you're wrong... the perks system brings true character definition to TES. You only have like 70 per playthrough and there are 250 of them to choose from. At level 7 in the game I can tell you right now that you have to limit yourself pretty strongly.

And I don't know how the stories play out, but I am being asked to choose sides pretty often so far.

122. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 22:52 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 22:38:
They've really dumbed down the game for broader audience appeal unfortunately. The flavour is still great but this is very much RPG-lite.

How so? Compared to Morrowind or Baldur's Gate, sure, but compared to Oblivion or Fallout 3? No.

The perks mean actual character choice and defining. There are actually choices to make in the game now, with opposed factions and moral decisions. Also the two-hand mix system means more dynamic weapon choice and tactical options.

Compared to Oblivion this sucker is an 80's RPG where you have to draw maps.

5. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 11, 2011, 22:48 StingingVelvet

Xirix wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 22:32:
I just installed nVidiaInspector but there's no Skyrim profile to be found. Not much difference between AO on or off anyway.

You can turn on landscape self-shadowing along with tree shadows in the ini file, which gives AO-like depth to the image and looks great.

4. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 11, 2011, 22:47 StingingVelvet

Tanto Edge wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 22:19:
Yeah. Taking a break for food. Looking for something to watch while I eat.
Then back to Skyrim.

Same here... watching a giantbomb video while I eat dinner, then back to Skyrim. Amazing game.

240,000 at once today means MASSIVE PC sales. Good!

91. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 16:36 StingingVelvet

Played another couple hours. Having a really hard time getting the mouse right but I think I got it now. V-synch forced on, shadows on high rather than ultra, mouse tweaked in ini file to remove smoothing and up sensitivity.

Anyway, I noticed a ton of old engine issues are still there. For example an enemy spawned in so far away that a story segment with him was missed because he was dead before I got there. That used to happen in previous Bethesda games too. Also the LOD pop-in is still pretty obvious when you're in a big flat area.

Loving the game though. It looks wonderful, the UI is fine if you can use a keyboard and mouse at the same time, the visual design is a million times more interesting than Oblivion's and the writing is much improved as well.

Happy.

22. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 11:39 StingingVelvet

Hudson wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 10:41:
Ill be playing on a 55" TV. Have fun!

My 30" monitor is bigger than your TV due to how close I sit to it. Also no crashes at all, some forum complaints do not equal an epidemic.

Bethesda games are really not the ones you want to use as examples of "better on console" at all. Quite silly. The graphics differences are quite significant and mods will be amazing.

20. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 11:37 StingingVelvet

No crashes or issues at all here. Game works quite well and with a higher FOV it looks pretty damn good as well.

The UI is definitely a straight console port, but honestly I think it works pretty well. Since it was designed around four points of a stick it also feels designed around WASD. It's quick and easy to access and control for the most part, only the level-up menu felt cumbersome to me.

The game so far seems much better than Oblivion already, but I'm still very early on.

News Comments > Skyrim Reviews
75. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 10, 2011, 21:38 StingingVelvet

CrimsonPaw wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 20:59:
My first character will be a ranger / mage / rogue type character (in that order). I love using bows in these games and I enjoy the stealth element as well; I'm thinking of starting off as a Khajit - any thoughts?

Khajit are still built to be rogues so it's a good choice. They don't have any magic bonuses at all but you can focus on one or two and build them up quickly.

73. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 10, 2011, 20:57 StingingVelvet

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 19:52:
Breton or Altmer. It's generally accepted they're the best pool mages, dunmer(dark elf), for going specialized with destruction and all that though. Though I have no idea how much has changed with skyrim.

They did do some significant changes to the races in Skyrim. Dunmer no longer have blade bonuses, for example, which completely messes with my usual archetype of a Dunmer swords + destruction magic light armor assassin.

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
29. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 18:56 StingingVelvet

Razumen wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 18:46:
Except for those people that use the same password for Steam as their email. Which, unfortunately, I'm sure exist.

I use the same password for forums and sites like this, but everything important has a unique one. You're right though, most wouldn't bother.

25. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 18:42 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 18:37:
I had a suspicion that this may have gone beyond just the forums, so I changed the security credentials on all of the Steam accounts in my household (4) as soon as word of this got out. Glad I did now.

If you have Steamguard they literally couldn't do anything with your account even if they can crack the encryption on the passwords.

58. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 10, 2011, 18:38 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 13:44:
Giantbomb is generally godawful at videogames and makes for terrible viewing unless you buy into their personalities or whatever. They are grinders, I'd rather read a review from someone I know is remotely competent at playing videogames.

The funny part is that they admit they suck at playing games, but insist that doesn't matter for the purposes of critique. I disagree completely.

1. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 10, 2011, 17:44 StingingVelvet

My Steam account has a unique passoword and Steamguard active, so changing it would likely be overkill. Shame it took them 4 days to say anything though.  

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Collections
9. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Collections Nov 9, 2011, 23:16 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 21:44:
Esoteric wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:50:
I guess there's no chance this will be on Steam?

Yeah I'd probably pick it up if it was.

Why not get them on GOG?

News Comments > Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai
10. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 23:14 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 21:42:
But is it a good way to offer a demo?

I think so, yeah. I have no issues with it.

News Comments > Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai
1. Re: Dead Rising 2 Demo on Gaikai Nov 9, 2011, 20:39 StingingVelvet

Tried this for the heck of it despite owning DR2. It was a much improved experience from the last time I tried it, when they just started. That said it's still no way to play a game, IMO.  

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Collections
2. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Collections Nov 9, 2011, 20:25 StingingVelvet

Deathbishop wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 20:17:
Wow, that's cheaper than GoG.

GOG had a massive sale on all of them recently though. I got every D&D game on there for like $25.

This is nice though, for sure. I hope GOG gets NWN2 soon.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records
12. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 12:41 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 11:11:
Nah you're misreading that, people know why they do it, they just don't like it and the somewhat alarming precedent it sets.

I've seen both, that and genuine befuddlement over why they charge for maps. In any event the point remains the same, when that many people want something it would be insane to deny them.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records
8. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Sales Records Nov 9, 2011, 11:10 StingingVelvet

Bookmark this news item for future reference when they announce DLC for MW3 and a bunch of people go "OH MY GOD WHY WOULD THEY CHARGE FOR MAPS FUCKING ASSHOLES!"  

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo