Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Risen 2: Dark Waters Trailer
1. Re: Risen 2: Dark Waters Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 18:07 StingingVelvet

I'm really excited about this game. Sadly I will be overseas without my gaming PC for all of next year, which means I won't be playing it for a while. Risen 2 and Mass Effect 3 are the games I will miss the most.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
18. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 17:28 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 16:07:
Over the last 7-8 years that has been standard procedure for games that have been out for a year or more, but it may not be possible considering how the DLC authentication system for DA:O was designed. Another failure for Bioware.

Do Steam titles get their DRM removed after they've been out for a while? I'm worried that as leading titles (e.g. FNV, Skyrim) have a Steam requirement at launch that we will never see the DRM relaxed as the games age when released on a service like Steam.

No, Steam has never been patched out as far as I know. A few games have had the Steam requirement removed for sale elsewhere, like Velvet Assassin on GamersGate, but I don't think it has ever been patched out. It's probably in the contract for Steamworks that the developer not do so, since Valve want you booting up Steam and seeing the store page as often as possible.

Bioware devs have said on their forums that they have patches ready to go to remove DRM from their titles should the company ever shut down. I'm not sure why they can't just release them now though, it's not like the DRM is doing anything but annoying paying customers.

Of course you could say that about most games on day one anyway.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
16. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 15:02 StingingVelvet

They should just be removing the DRM in general, rather than refining it. Same thing with Mass Effect, they released some DRM tweaks a couple years after the game came out... why? It was cracked literally years before. Just remove the DRM for your paying customers please.  

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
150. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 16:34 StingingVelvet

Devo_N wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 14:07:
Without meaning to derail this highly interesting discussion of piracy theft and so forth -
Ghost Recon has stunk for the last several iterations, and GRO looks to be truly awful. The franchise has pretty much ceded the field to the Battlefield series.
Actually I can't remember a single GR game that was enjoyable. My friends referred to it as "that shooter where you can't jump over a small rock or curb".

GRAW was a pretty good shooter on Xbox. Not amazing or anything, but if you like military shooters with a hint of tactics in them then it was a solid title worth playing. The PC version was a much different game though, and in my opinion and much less interesting one.

Every other game in the series has sucked pretty bad, especially Ghost Recon 2 which also never got a PC version (which people seem to forget).

News Comments > BioWare VGA Announcement Teaser
26. Re: BioWare VGA Announcement Teaser Nov 24, 2011, 01:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 23:57:
Are the combat encounters still wave-based and do these waves spawn out of thin air right next to your party?

Actually that was something they did work on, the enemies are usually all set up when the battle begins. When they do have reinforcement waves they have it happen more logically, like through a door or portal.

Other improvements: real choices with consequences, like a different end level depending on who you supported. Much more colorful and unique areas to explore. Obviously no repeated content, or very little of it anyway.

It's still the same core game though, for those who hated the style, the speed or the whatever else it's not worth looking twice at. For those who liked DA2 and enjoyed playing it despite the obvious flaws though I would say it's worth getting, as it's certainly the best DA2 content that exists.

19. Re: BioWare VGA Announcement Teaser Nov 23, 2011, 14:26 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:19:
The DLC for ME2 was a bit hit and miss but overall was good. I doubt anyone bought the DLC for DA2 for understandable reasons so I doubt we'll get much discussion on that one.

I thought all the paid mission content for ME2 was very much worth having. Some were better than others, but all of it was quality content for the price IMO.

The DA2 DLC was actually much better than the main game, very lengthy and quite good. I don't want to get into a huge DA2 debate, but if you liked the game at all the DLC was great stuff.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround
39. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 23, 2011, 14:21 StingingVelvet

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 11:35:
Sheesh with how much I've tested "features" and "fixes" in Bethesda games you'd think I'd be getting paid for this shit.

I had the distant texture flicker before I started using the 4GB patch, for sure.

News Comments > DOOM III Source Code Released
21. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 14:19 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 12:15:
Nobody is disputing that many people praised it at release. However, I was unimpressed from the first screenshots and my position has remained unchanged. I thought it looked poor in comparison to the likes of Far Cry (released earlier) and Half-Life 2 (released later). Far Cry was the big surprise, as it had incredible graphics and actually ran well for the time - Doom 3 was less impressive, had a poor visual design and ran pretty poorly for the time.

Far Cry and Doom 3 were trying to do very different things. Far Cry cannot compete at all in shadows, interior lighting and general detail, but it certainly wins in other areas. It's all kind of relative, you can't really say game X looks better than game Y when both do certain things amazing well for their time.

I for one was pretty damn impressed with Doom 3 when it came out. I remember everyone else on my forums at the time loving it, sharing little stories about their time with it. I don't think it was the best game ever, but it does sadden me about that years later people seem to enjoy acting like it was this abject failure.

17. Re: BioWare VGA Announcement Teaser Nov 23, 2011, 14:15 StingingVelvet

Paketep wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 11:57:
After Origin, Dragon Age 2, and the amount of DLC they're putting out, ME3 is the only thing I plan to buy from Bioware. And that's only if it's released on Steam with zero Origin bullshit.

Otherwise, it's buh-bye Bioware.

I don't feel like arguing about the other two, but what is wrong with the DLC? If you like the games themselves the DLCs for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 were very good. The story ones I mean, not the bullshit item packs that mean nothing.

3. Re: BioWare VGA Announcement Teaser Nov 23, 2011, 11:45 StingingVelvet

Word on the street is that this is the new Command and Conquer game, released under the Bioware label because of the genre they are switching it to but largely made by another development team.

Not that I have inside info, I have just read that a few places. Would be interesting if it turned out true.

The DA2 people are making DA3 though and the ME3 people will probably make another ME game of some kind. I don't think that's hard to guess.

News Comments > DOOM III Source Code Released
14. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 StingingVelvet

A Doom 3 thread that quickly turns into people saying how crappy and not that good looking it actually was, despite the praise when it was released? SHOCKER.  

37. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 23, 2011, 11:09 StingingVelvet

Actually what do you know, I stumbled across one while reading a forum:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/07/23/29099.htm

36. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 StingingVelvet

Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 21:42:
Do you have a cite? Distributing tools, even for "personal use" is a violation, and I've never heard that using those tools for personal use is any different. The language "No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title" is quite clear.

The law out of Congress is quite clear, yes. That doesn't mean the courts back it up when it goes to trial though. It's pretty standard procedure for the courts to refine a law after Congress makes it, and the DMCA is no exception.

I'm not going to spend half my day googling for you though. I read these things in passing and I clearly remember several that went toward consumers. The iPhone jailbreaking decision for example, or the one with the guy who modded people's 360's where the case was dismissed because they had no actual proof he provided pirated software to other people.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC
48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 23, 2011, 10:31 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 04:10:
What I want to know is why Crossfire / SLI have been broken on pretty much every major release for the past 4-5 months. RAGE has only just got Crossfire support and a quick Google search lead me to a forum stating that SLI still isn't available. Skyrim is the same affair and now B:AC. If it was just AMD, just nVidia or just one developer then I could understand it but it applies to nVidia and AMD and multiple developers.

The two-card market is probably infinitely small. Less effort for a small portion of the audience is a hallmark of capitalism.

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 22, 2011, 21:18 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 17:21:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 17:20:
Get a cracked .exe and be done with it, then. It's not piracy if you bought the game.

It's still illegal, though.

Some courts have said bypassing DRM is not illegal unless there is an intent to distribute, actually. Doing it to make a backup is arguably just fine. The DMCA might say otherwise, but the whole point is that the DMCA is being slowly refined in court.

One of those grey areas when new law is being written and argued over.

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 22, 2011, 16:09 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 14:53:
Edit : Okay, I read through that linked thread. So what happens is that ticking the "Do not update" box will not update the game, but only until the first time you try to run it again while in online mode. So you CAN avoid having it update by only ever running that particular game in offline mode.

Yes, if you have auto-update off it will still patch when you attempt to launch, but you can quickly go to offline mode and play unpatched. When they force the update no matter what though, obviously that's not an option.

For Bethesda games in particular I have often had patches break stuff or ruin performance. I would really like to choose not to patch, but Valve basically says fuck you. It's a common problem across all Steam games and when they're singleplayer I really don't see the need for it, other than corporate control. If a patch comes out that breaks my game all it will do is send me to torrent sites to get the previous version, which you would think they would not want to encourage.

Note before anyone jumps my shit that the same problem exist for newer Origin games that require the client, or any client-based auto-patching system I suspect.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham City for PC Nov 22, 2011, 16:05 StingingVelvet

Bums me out I'm not playing this today, but Skyrim is taking up all my time and I should wait for payday anyway. Really excited to play it next week or so though.  

1. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 22, 2011, 12:29 StingingVelvet

Works perfectly, just like the New Vegas one. Improves framerate and stability, especially with modded view distance or textures, no matter what anyone says to the contrary.

Personally I am still upset they forced a DRM update through Steam even if you had updates turned off in the options. That just reeks of accessing my hard drive without authorization to me. I am sure they would say there is some line in their ToS that authorizes it, but to me a function listed in the Steam options when I accepted the ToS not working at all voids the agreement. I made a thread about it on the Steam forums but of course it was almost immediately closed.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
76. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 22, 2011, 11:39 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 11:32:
Plenty of others call you out for it around here, you've developed that reputation all by yourself.

Considering the irrational love people have for Valve and Steam itself, I don't really take majority opinion on my comments as some kind of clear sign that I am in the wrong. Sorry.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
74. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 22, 2011, 11:31 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 07:29:
Do you need me to hold your hand while you go potty too?

It seems to be a pretty thin line with you between complaining about Steam and hating it with an irrational passion that could level the Sun, so I just wanted to make sure complaining about this was okay. Glad to have your support, it meant a lot in my life.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo