Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
44. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2011, 02:24 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 00:40:
You can run Metro 2033 at 1920x1080, 8xAA, max settings, at a constant 60+ FPS? If so, I salute your videocard.

I did run it on max DX11 settings actually, yes, but with FXAA. Not a big deal to me at all, and probably one of 2 or 3 examples you could find in total.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rainbow 6 Patriots Details; Art
3. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Details; Art Nov 29, 2011, 00:35 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 21:56:
So piracy is so bad that Ghost Recon has to be a free-2-play abomination, but not for Rainbow Six? I'm thinking we'll be finding out soon that the PC version has been canned.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier was originally announced for PC and then dropped, so it's possible this will turn out the same. I think they only dropped GR:FS to try and boost interest in the free to play game, though, no matter what else they say.

42. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 29, 2011, 00:34 StingingVelvet

I'm not sure why I would get SLI going when my single card maxes out every damn game out there. I guess if I was running at a way higher resolution, like for multi-monitors, but other than that I don't see much point to it. I would rather upgrade my single GPU more often.  

News Comments > Skyrim Patch Wednesday
13. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 29, 2011, 00:32 StingingVelvet

Jivaro wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 00:24:
My bet is that we won't see the CK until after Christmas. My theory is that they don't want to give the PC version something the console versions can't have for fear of hurting console sales.

I doubt it, if they felt that way they would have held back the mod tools for their other recent titles.

It's likely they put the mod tools off to get the game out the door and now they're working on patches. The tools will come.

3. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 28, 2011, 21:13 StingingVelvet

MisterBenn wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 20:57:
Yeah it's a bit odd, and left and right don't seem to change?!?!

Yeah, the vertical sensitivity is based on framerate. I assume it has something to do with fucking analog sticks, I dunno. Hopefully "mouse sensitivity issues" is referring to that.

1. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 28, 2011, 20:40 StingingVelvet

Please god let those mouse tweaks make the sensitivity stable across framerates. The mouse control in Skyrim drives me NUTS. I would love to see the patch make it relatively smooth like Oblivion's and Fallout 3's.  

29. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 16:38 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 15:58:
I wouldn't call this one major since they likely had a week or less to compile the fixes before sending it out for verification on the various distribution networks. I'll bet the next patch is larger, with technical, performance and quest fixes, but those take longer. I wouldn't expect the next update until around Xmas.

Bethesda have never really boosted performance in patches. I think expecting that is a bit naive.

19. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 14:59 StingingVelvet

Kastagir wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 12:38:
It's my understanding that only some elements, shadows in particular, that are CPU limited. The GPU plays a major role in determining the performance one can attain with a given level of detail.

Shadows and NPCs are all on the CPU, which is what causes the framerate loss in cities and certain other areas. I'm not saying GPU power is irrelevant, it's just not why most people with modern rigs are having issues.

6. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 12:28 StingingVelvet

Word on the Bethesda forums is that these don't really do anything for Skyrim performance, which is CPU limited and not GPU limited.

Also some weird graphical anomalies have been reported.

News Comments > Skyrim and D3D Antilag
35. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 28, 2011, 12:27 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 09:26:
It also frequently leads you to picking the wrong choices in menus despite having a different selection highlighted.

That's because the mouse is on a different selection, which messes it all up. They should really disable the mouse in menu screens, since it's by far the worst way to control them and it messes with the keyboard controls sometimes.

5. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Nov 28, 2011, 12:24 StingingVelvet

MajorD wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 11:09:
And still no fix for RAGE on either Nvidia's side or id's. How long has that game been out and they (id Software) haven't addressed the low res textures and texutre pop-in issues, or even an update to status of?

It was ATI that has universal texture issues as far as I know. I never had pop-in on my nVidia card. There is a setting in the options menu for better texture streaming, did you have that on?

As for higher quality textures that was rumored but is not a promise as of yet.

24. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 28, 2011, 02:30 StingingVelvet

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 23:40:
I haven't had input lag either, but in some indoor areas, where the framerate hits triple digits, that's where horizontal and vertical mouselook gets wonky for some reason.

You really need to limit your framerate to 60. Anything above that causes all kinds of weird issues.

12. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 27, 2011, 20:29 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 19:12:
Except for the fact that you have to press Enter to confirm a lot of things. Or press Tab to bring up the general menu overlay. Or press J to check your journal. Or press P to check your spells. Or press T to wait. Or press T to recharge enchanted weapons. Or press E to interact with things. Or press R to pick up everything. Or press / to check your skills and perks. Or press Q to bring up the "quick select" inventory.

E works for everything that says enter. Most everything else you listed is reachable without moving your palm off WASD. J for journal is the exception, and that does annoy me.

Skyrim's UI wasn't designed to be efficient with mouse and keyboard.

I never said it was, I just said it was designed so you never have to move from WASD. Also, even though Morrowind has a mouse-focused AI I would take Skyrim's AI over it any day. Mouse-focused UIs tend to be slow.

5. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 27, 2011, 17:54 StingingVelvet

Wildone wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 17:50:
The interface..uh LET ME USE MY MOUSE TO SELECT STUFF! I hate havin to take my hands off the controls to navigate it.

Eh? The whole point of the UI is to make it so you never have to take your hands off WASD and the mouse.

2. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 27, 2011, 15:49 StingingVelvet

Capping fps at 60 is essential for this game because of the physics, so if you turn v-synch off then you need this program or a similar one.

V-synch isn't my issue with the mouse though, it's the framerate effecting mouse sensitivity that drives me insane. REALLY hoping that is fixed in the next patch.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
170. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 27, 2011, 11:12 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 07:59:
The LAW says that Piracy, be it music, video or software IS NOT THEFT. They have plenty of categories of theft, from petty theft, grand theft, larceny, robbery, and note that NOT ONE OF THOSE CATEGORIES is piracy related. Not one.

You're welcome to ignore the personal attacks, I throw them in because you've earned them. Particularly by being such a complete and utter hypocrite. You accuse me of not bothering to read everything when you conveniently skip over the parts of everyone's posts where they explain IN DETAIL that they're well aware that piracy is wrong and illegal, yet you still accuse them of trying to rationalize or justify because they don't agree with your idiotic, incorrect (and completely proven so) definition of piracy.

You are 100% correct, legally it is not theft. That said, I don't begrudge people calling it that, because it's a colloquialism. "He stole my girlfriend" or "she took my idea" and other such things are good examples. Whether actual property or ownership is involved or not we often use "theft" and "took" and "stole" as slang terms.

News Comments > Risen 2: Dark Waters Trailer
15. Re: removed Nov 27, 2011, 10:14 StingingVelvet

CreamyBlood wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 08:23:
I really think that comparing any Elder Scrolls game to a Gothic game and claiming they're similar is kind of insulting to Piranha Bytes.

They're similar in many, many more ways than they are different.

And Skyrim is ten times better than Oblivion, so if Oblivion is what you are going off of then you should expand your knowledge.

News Comments > Risen 2: Dark Waters Trailer
7. Re: Risen 2: Dark Waters Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 22:09 StingingVelvet

While hand-crafted is better and I do dislike it when I see some obvious random stuff, I can't imagine liking a game like Risen and not even wanting to play Skyrim. They're so predominantly similar that liking one and outright dismissing the other just seems insane to me.

Just my opinion.

166. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 26, 2011, 21:15 StingingVelvet

I don't doubt any of that. I don't doubt Jerykk when he says he buys games he likes. I just don't think either of you are in the majority in any way.  

164. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 26, 2011, 18:11 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 17:25:
Again, all your emphatic statements and passionate dissertations don't change the fact that you have no idea if what you say is even close to true. You are projecting your personal image of the modern day software pirate as if it were somehow irrefutable reality. Sorry, but because there's no way of knowing each and every pirate's habits, it's not.

You're not really wrong about not knowing 100% unless you are that person, but come on man... the number of people who actually buy the games they like after pirating them has to be infinitely small. That's not me thinking I know everyone, it's just a statement made with 30+ years of experience in the human condition.

And even if they do have some morals and plan to buy the games they really like, most of those people people would then find reasons why a game isn't that great and they should wait for a sale. "I have played Skyrim for 100 hours but the UI really sucks for PC so fuck them I'm not buying it until the game of the year edition comes out." That's just how humans are. That's why companies don't want to rely on the honor system, they want to control what you can do.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo