Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Sale; Empire Earth for Free
10. Re: GOG.com Sale; Empire Earth for Free Dec 12, 2011, 18:29 StingingVelvet

I successfully bought Lands of Lore. Can't wait to mess around with it. I am a GOG addict, so almost anything else I would want I already bought.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013
37. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 12, 2011, 00:14 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:32:
Commandos wasn't really a strategy game. It was more of a squad-based stealth game. It was all about distracting enemies and taking them out by one. Not that that's a bad thing. I loved Commandos 2 and I even enjoyed the Desperados games. But I wouldn't put them in the same genre as C&C or DoW2.

Well DoW2 was kind of an in-between, which I liked. It was an RTS but it had elements of Commandos and even a Dragon Age style game. I liked that mix-up, and it got me to play an RTS which normally I would not do.

I did like C&C when I was younger though, and have a fondness for the series. So if they made it more like DoW2 that would be awesome for me personally.

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
17. Re: On Skyrim DLC Dec 11, 2011, 22:24 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 19:16:
As for the comments, I do agree that it sounds like gameplay tweaks or fixes - stuff that really should be for patches. That's probably not what they meant but I think they have to tread very carefully. Saying that, I'm really interested to see what they do. I just hop

Expansions have often added new gameplay features as well as content. Tribunal added a good journal to Morrowind for example, that was never in a patch. Patches are for bug fixes and stability improvements, mostly.

29. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 11, 2011, 22:20 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 16:46:
Yeah because what everyone really wants in an RTS is for it not to be really anything like an RTS!!

I say what I like, your opinion can differ all you want. I'm not a big fan of traditional RTS games, but I like squad games like Commandos and Dawn of War 2.

4. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 11, 2011, 16:44 StingingVelvet

If this has a good singleplayer campaign I will buy it. I have heard rumors the singleplayer will be more like Dawn of War 2, which for me personally would be awesome.  

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
3. Re: On Skyrim DLC Dec 11, 2011, 16:38 StingingVelvet

MxxCon wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 16:26:
Sounds like they are planning to release PATCHES that fix gameplay mechanics as paid DLC?
Doesn't DLC stand for "downloadable CONTENT"? Fixing broken gameplay isn't content, it's a patch. patches are supposed to be free

You're the poster boy for pointless complaining today. Congrats.

News Comments > GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday
42. Re: GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday Dec 11, 2011, 16:11 StingingVelvet

I've been PC only for 20+ years and have never got the FOV thing either. And most of the time when I up the FOV in a game it makes it look really zoomed out and fish-eyed.

In Skyrim for example, I see people suggesting 90 and even higher... insanity, it looks like you're looking at the world through a coke bottle. I did up it to 75 to match Morrowind and Oblivion, but I could easily live with the default.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
87. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 9, 2011, 01:53 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 22:16:
You're posting in a patchnotes thread, the third one for this game alone and I doubt it'll be the last. People aren't just making it up but if you want to imagine everyone is an idiot and that you are the guy from Hackers then go right ahead and live in that fantasy.

This speaks exactly to my point... why is it okay to be cynical and think most people are idiots when bitching about something from a company, but it's not okay when speaking about consumers being stupid? I don't understand that... the posters here are generally the most cynical and superior I have seen on the internet, but turning that back on the legions of idiot consumers in the Western world is not kosher? I don't get it.

In general I think my point is pretty common sense, as I said in the post. Most people do not take good enough care of their computers, overclock their hardware, run on settings too high for their hardware and clutter their processes and drivers with random shit. These factors all cause problems like crashes and performance issues.

You can say PC developers should compensate for all of that, and they do to some extent, but at the end of the day the PC is a platform where you have to take some responsibility for your PC and expect some issues if you don't.

Ok, you were just lying then but either way I doubt anyone is impressed or even give a shit about some foolish bragging that's barely one rung above nyah nyah nyah.

Yes Verno, I was lying, because the thing I want most in this world is to make you think I'm cool. I come here on a daily basis and comment whenever I think I might get your attention, hoping that what I say will make me look better than you. I try and and I try and you just never cooperate, and it makes me cry. I go to bed sobbing. I think it might be why my girl and I broke up a couple months ago, she knew she wasn't my priority.

86. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 9, 2011, 01:47 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 22:04:
Just a few quick searches of your posting history has broken the "ever" part here. Unless you want to play a semantic game about "crashing" -ongoing and "problems" -plural.

You gonna link to it or just say that and expect me to know what you're talking about?

Preemptively I can say I have had a crash here and there over the 20+ years I have been a PC gamer, but never a crashing problem, by which I mean more than one or a consistent issue with a certain game. My CPU fan busted once, and caused a crash or two from overheating until I figured that out. Frontlines Fuel of War crashed on me when launching a few times until I updated a driver which fixed it. Those are honestly the only crashes I remember in the last 10 years.

81. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 21:04 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 15:07:
Umm ok? I'm not sure what that has to do with this.

People complaining on forums that a game crashes a lot or runs like shit doesn't really mean much at all to me. That's pretty much the sum of it.

Rarely!= never, we all experience crashes unrelated to user initiated actions, it's just a matter of frequency.

I wasn't exaggerating or kidding at all. I never have crashing problems, ever.

65. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 14:57 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 14:34:
That being said we are in a posting in a patchnotes thread, the third iteration for this game alone so perhaps the issues (some) people are having are related to the things fixed in them, shocking I know.

There's a difference between saying the game never crashes and runs at 60fps for everyone, which I didn't say, and saying that user error or PC issues are likely the reason for most problems. If you take the already small percentage of people suffering from major performance and crash issues, remove the ones running at too high of settings for their CPU or modding and tweaking the game to run not as intended, then I bet the percentage you are left with is infinitely small. There? Sure. But small.

Now that's an educated guess on my part, and you're welcome to disagree with it. Still, given how many problems everyone in the world of PC gaming forums seems to have with PC games, and given how I have never had crashing issues with any game, I am inclined to think I am doing something right. And what do I do? Stock speeds, frequent driver updates and degfragging, and keeping a clean PC with no excess programs or drivers.

People on this forum and most other forums are never hesitant to call human beings stupid when they work for developers and corporations, but the idea of most PC gaming consumers being stupid seems like an evil and alien concept. I don't get that, honestly. PC gaming is not plug and play, it requires some semblance of effort and intelligence which are two things a lot of consumers lack. The idea of most PC gaming issues being user error is not a generalization, it's common sense.

61. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 14:21 StingingVelvet

Rossafur wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 14:16:
And the biggest thing I've found that alters the framerate is shadows. Dropping them from ultra to high easily gives me an extra 10-15 fps for minimal visual change. Using the STEP guide on the nexus with a bunch of texture packs, iCCC natural shaders, and some nvidia inspector tweaks (SSAO on under CoD 4 compatibility, performance mode) 4x AA, and basically everything else maxed I run at the 60 fps limit most of the time inside aside from some of the more crazily lit/atmospheric effect areas, and generally a *minimum* of 45 fps outside.

For an i7 overclocked to 4.4ghz and twice my RAM, you're running the game pretty much exactly how I am. Kind of goes to show a lot of that is superfluous, really.

59. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 14:19 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:11:
You realize that the existence of these patches means that there are bugs within the game itself, right? It's not user error.

People can definitely mod or tweak their game in CTD territory. Also when some people complain the game crashes constantly, but others never have a problem with any Bethesda game, there is certainly the possibility that user error, badly kept PCs or whatever else could be the cause.

Acting like user error can never be the cause for PC gaming issues is silly. It's very pro-consumer and all that, but not really rational.

57. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 14:08 StingingVelvet

Mouse was better for me in 1.2. Annoying.

As for performance, game runs fine for me outside of Whiterun, Solitude and Markarth. In those cities it drops to about 30fps from 50-60. Not a huge deal IMO.

GTX 480, Q9550.

News Comments > Arkham City Patched
4. Re: Arkham City Patched Dec 7, 2011, 11:34 StingingVelvet

necrosis wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 10:56:
I thoguth GfWL patched games too.

I don't fuck with GFWL's online aspects, so if it patching the game as well I wouldn't know. They always release GFWL game patches on their own as well.

Guess I'll wait to see if it pops up anywhere. I'm still playing Skyrim anyway.

I just find it amusing that a not-Steamworks game's patch news on here and everywhere else all say "go to Steam for the update." Like... I literally cannot do that. I guess it's because the press all play on Steam press accounts, or because Steam news announced it before anyone else, but still... wider view please.

News Comments > Arkham City Patched
1. Re: Arkham City Patched Dec 7, 2011, 09:54 StingingVelvet

No word on the patch existing elsewhere? This is not a Steamworks game.  

News Comments > Trine 2 This Week
18. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 17:10 StingingVelvet

fb_joel wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:47:
Trine 2 will not be on sale during the Steam holiday sale. We have some behind-the-scenes reasons for that related to consoles and fair pricing and such, and on top of that we don't really agree with this new mentality of going 75% off a few weeks after release, it's just a bit too much in my opinion (though we're certainly not against big sales in general). Trine 2 will probably follow a very different trend sale-wise than many other recent games, and we sort of hope that pays off in the long term. I guess we'll see.

I applaud that, personally. This trend is just telling people they should never pay full price ever again. Even I, someone who used to always buy on release, have started waiting for games I'm not sure I will love to be half-off, like Saint's Row 3 and LA Noire.

I hope you get a lot of $15 sales.

News Comments > Trine 2 This Week
8. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 02:50 StingingVelvet

I was tempted to get this, but I still haven't finished Trine. Got a new rule for myself about that sort of thing.  

News Comments > EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree
6. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 4, 2011, 18:06 StingingVelvet

Dalumberjack wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 17:11:
Just please don't be some FTP game.

I would certainly guess it will be, or at least always online.

News Comments > South Park: The Game Announced
21. Re: South Park: The Game Announced Dec 2, 2011, 10:58 StingingVelvet

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 08:49:
South Park is just stupid and generally very immature (more so than the MacFarlane shows).

This is like bizarro world to me. In my experience South Park is clever satire masked by silly humor while the MacFarlane shows are just empty silly humor with no real intelligence.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo