Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs
33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs Jan 14, 2013, 19:25 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:53:
ACM supports DX11 but won't use any DX11 features, like tessellation. For all intents and purposes it's not a DX11 game. From a technical perspective it's a backwards step from the recent AVP game, especially as all the media features low polygon models and environments as well as low resolution textures. I'm hopeful that the gameplay will make up for it but at the moment it looks like I'll wait to pick this up on sale.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that ACM will be a decent PC port. That's in stark contrast to other non-DX11 games like Dishonored and Borderlands 2, which both had media and interviews talking about how the PC version was receiving special treatment. That makes me very sceptical, especially with the development history.

DX11 isn't essential but it is a warning sign and there have been many other warning signs.

If it's a warning sign that my 480 can run it on max at 60fps then great! Graphics have reached a point of diminishing returns for me, I don't care if they get any better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jan 14, 2013, 19:23 StingingVelvet

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:50:
As I've gotten older, I've found myself moving away from the violent options when they're presented. Maybe games like Dishonored are a kind of Rorschach test, with psychopathic personalities being be more inclined to take the more violent route, and empathetic personalities more likely to take the non-violent route?

Or maybe it's more fun to teleport and stab than it is to carry bodies around.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman
18. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 17:16 StingingVelvet

The cagey words on Steam support and the selling mods line makes me think they want to have an in-game store and aren't sure about Steam's reaction to that.

Anyway, looks like a game I would buy but I'm not enthusiastic enough about it to donate yet. See how it goes.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs
13. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs Jan 14, 2013, 13:02 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 10:18:
I'm saying if a modern game doesn't have DX11 support... that PRETTY MUCH means they put NO EFFORT in the PC version. That doesn't mean that there aren't exceptions... but it is more of general indicator to go by.

Dishonored.

Edit: My point is if there are good exceptions it's a stupid rule. Wait for news on the port and don't make silly snap judgments with no evidence.

News Comments > Edge: Valve, Mojang "Greatest Developers"
17. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:39 StingingVelvet

Valve being number one is a little weird but I can't think of anyone better really. There are some excellent Montreal studios but none of them are as old or consistent as Valve.

Mojang... I agree with Notch.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 14, 2013, 11:42 StingingVelvet

The RPS Dishonored thing is interesting. The more player agency you give, the more the violence is on them and not the creators. You're still an assassin with a knife though.

I'm just now getting to the end of my violent Dishonored playthrough and it gets quite preachy.

News Comments > On Assassin's Creed III Tech
14. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 14, 2013, 00:48 StingingVelvet

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 21:36:
The game isn't bad, just different in parts from the rest of the series.

I don't really like it after 10 hours or so, and it has little to do with being "different" specifically. I just don't like all the slow filler they have added. I like running on rooftops and stabbing people and AC3 seems to keep me from doing that as much as it can. What it offers in exchange I do not find engaging.

News Comments > On Assassin's Creed III Tech
12. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 19:23 StingingVelvet

Gipson wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:33:
where is the PC patch???! the game is amazing .. when it runs properly

I read a lot about performance problems which made me worry, since my system is aging a good bit now (Q9550 processor, GTX 480). Sure enough it ran crappy on max settings once I got to Boston, which sucked.

However, all it took to smooth everything out and get it working really well was to turn down one setting, environment detail, to "high." Runs very well now.

Shame the game kind of sucks.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 13, 2013, 19:16 StingingVelvet

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:18:
Wow. People, stop buying Skyrim, so it can drop in price enough for ME to consider buying Skyrim. :o

If any games are worth full price it's massive 200 hour open world RPGs.

News Comments > Op Ed
68. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 19:39 StingingVelvet

The simple fact is a dozen or more factors are involved in ever one of these tragedies and the politicians and media act like only one thing was the cause. That's never true.

Mental illness, gun access, competitive culture, selfish culture, bullying and yes, violent media, are all involved. Unless we are going to radically change our entire country though the un-political thing to say is, bluntly: cost of doing business.

Overall violent crime is way down.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 22:26 StingingVelvet

Talking about clouds makes me uneasy. I know technically Steam stores my games in a cloud, and my account is "in the cloud" to whatever extent, but it still makes me think of streaming games and constant internet connections.

In any case, as long as games have offline modes and can be kept running after servers go down I am happy to support digital.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 10, 2013, 22:10 StingingVelvet

jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 19:57:
Really? I honestly don't see much overlap here, so I don't think this is happening very much. Do hardcore, AAA gamers suddenly become casual gamers? No one I know (granted, anecdotal) has suddenly put down CoD to start playing Farmville. I do play more casual games than before, but only by virtue of the fact that I don't have to pay for them and might need a distraction when I'm not at my PC. I do play less games than before (family, kids, work) but I'm still playing the same kinds of games.

Yeah, Gamasutra continues to float this idea and it never made sense to me. Mobile gaming, tablet gaming, free to play, flash... none of it comes nowhere near replacing core PC gaming or console gaming. Maybe some day it will, but not now.

It's far more likely people just aren't up for paying $60 for an average game that looks the same as games 7 years ago did.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDP Reveal Next Month?
22. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month? Jan 10, 2013, 22:06 StingingVelvet

Cool style. Promoting this way too early for my taste, though.

Also excited for The Witcher 3.

News Comments > More on Steam Hardware
41. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 10, 2013, 01:43 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 20:06:
You obviously haven't used Ubuntu lately. There are even premade customized HTPC flavors of it, XBMCBuntu, OpenElec and more. What do you think Android is built on? Linux doesn't need to be complicated. Wine is a pretty decent abstraction layer these days and with a professional company porting gaming software others are bound to follow.

I'll keep an open mind but the idea of a Linux HTPC that works as simply and easily as a console, AND plays a lot of games natively, is... well let's just say I am skeptical.

We shall see though, Valve certainly have the clout to get some things done.

39. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 18:42 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:23:
The reason HTPCs haven't taken off is few people want to bother with that. They just want something that works.
If Valve designs this in a way that it just works, and I'm guessing that's how they've spent the year or two we've been speculating about this, then they will find more success than HTPCs have.

That would be one hell of a Linux conversion.

33. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 15:38 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 14:59:
Regardless it'll be an interesting experiment and I welcome any effort that puts the PC into other markets and spaces.

It's interesting sure, I'm just not sold the market is there to make it more relevant than an Alienware media PC advertised in the back of PC Gamer. Other than the Steam name, of course.

28. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 14:48 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:47:
The aesthetics are fine and I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware ended up as powerful or moreso than current consoles, people put up with way worse in the living room. I don't see why the OS matters either, its just how many compatible games can it deliver and that depends on what kind of weight Valve can throw around. No reason it couldn't run Windows too, some people have speculated that a higher tiered SKU might do so. If they were a smaller company I'd be dubious but they have an incredibly large customer base. HTPCs are expensive to build and the prebuilt options (Zotac, Foxconn) aren't powerful enough for the kind of gaming most want to do. It has a lot of crossover market appeal unlike the Razer thing posted in the news story below this one. If they could get external videocards (Thunderbolt, maybe in a year?) finally sorted out then this sort of thing would be ideal even.

That's all well and good but it doesn't answer the question: who is it being sold to? Console gamers will not switch to this at the same time new consoles much more powerful come out. The indie/androud lovers will go Ouya or an equivalent. PC gamers would have to install Windows and then be turned off by the lower specs and upgrade constraints.

I don't know who the audience is.

19. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 11:35 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 07:34:
Helps if you try thinking about it for 10 seconds. The hardware in there could make it everything from a kickass HTPC to a living room console that has access to a massive existing library of games. The biggest barrier to the PC in the living room has been form factor and input, this combined with the ten foot interface solves both problems.

I like your "fuck you asshole" debate style. Anyway, of course I know some PC gamers like to game from the couch, but enough that this product is really viable simply as an aesthetic choice? You can build a media PC that looks decent already, and they even have media center friendly cases out there already, it's nothing new. Having it run Linux and probably be underpowered compared to new consoles releasing earlier and, well... I don't see the point.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
14. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 11:20 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:51:
They were both good in their own ways.

Indeed. I liked both a lot, for mostly different reasons.

Looking forward to Fallout 4, especially due to Skyrim showing both a return to better dialog and a much improved engine.

6. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 8, 2013, 23:35 StingingVelvet

I'm not even sure who this is for, really. What market do they think they are appealing to? I can't think of anyone, from PC gamers to console gamers, casuals to Android indie worshipers, who isn't better served with a different product.  

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo