Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 3 Clues
19. Re: Crysis 3 Clues Apr 11, 2012, 13:39 StingingVelvet

I loved Crysis 2. Story-wise it was completely borked but gameplay, the important part, was excellent. Yes the areas were smaller but the free-form tactical combat was still there pretty much entirely in my experience. The only thing I disliked was the busy HUD, but I think you could turn a lot of it off?

Anyway, excited for a third.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
184. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 13:30 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 09:11:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 04:08:
Indeed, and the rate of piracy I see in the people around me gives me cause to believe it has a much greater impact than you are comfortable thinking about.

No one really has a problem with that, it's when people start talking about censoring the entire internet because the audience "cant be responsible" that becomes borderline self parody.

I don't really see how it's different from any other cause of regulation. Sure big companies push it for money reasons, but in the end they can only do so because people are so flagrantly abusive of the freedom offered.

Pretty much every regulation comes from similar abuses.

172. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 04:08 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 01:06:
To assume that piracy is the reason why studios and games fail is just silly. You'd have to ignore all the more obvious and logical factors to believe that. That said, the fundamental problem with debates about piracy is that there are no irrefutable statistics to draw upon. You can't prove or disprove the exact impact of piracy on sales. Piracy also evokes a strong ethical response and a person's moral fiber tends to be deeply ingrained. If someone believes piracy is inherently right or wrong, no amount of reasoning, logic or evidence will sway them. That's why we continue to have these exact same debates over and over and over again.

Indeed, and the rate of piracy I see in the people around me gives me cause to believe it has a much greater impact than you are comfortable thinking about.

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC is Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonus
8. Re: Mechromancer DLC is Borderlands 2 Preorder Bonus Apr 11, 2012, 00:09 StingingVelvet

Man, trying to play these games on consoles in 20 years is gonna be funny. Half the content will be missing.  

167. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 00:05 StingingVelvet

EricFate wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 20:15:
Why does EA find it so hard to believe that a buggy console port which contained less than eight hours worth of gameplay and one-note multiplayer that got boring after 5 rounds didn't garner many sales at their $60 dollar price point? The game was fun, but not $60 worth of fun. More like $15 worth of fun.

Every single console boxed release is $60 at release really, with few exceptions. I don't see how price is relevant when comparing the sales to general expectations.

They could have made it cheaper on PC, sure, but why?

166. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 00:01 StingingVelvet

Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:48:
Dear God! I've been lurking on this site for ten years, and your comment finally made me sign up!

I don't know what's worse... your faulty analogy or your appeal to it in order to support restricting human freedom! First, it wouldn't take you more than five minutes to research the "Wild" West and find out that it was far from "wild." The most homicides ever recorded in Tombstone, AZ in one year? Three (and that was so extraordinary/infamous that they have made books and movies about it ever since). How about Dodge City? Five. Deadwood? Seven. Hell, seven murders is a slow WEEKEND in Detroit!

So, you conclude, based on a false, media-driven stereotype turned analogy, that people cannot be expected to behave on the internet, so we need to regulate it?!?! Please!

'Sup.

I like how you consider murder rate the only important thing there. You completely ignore theft, homelessness, poverty, lack of defense and infrastructure, etc. In any case, it was just a phrase, not the deep and well thought-out analogy I guess you pretended I said it was.

The point is a lack of regulation is not gonna jive in today's world. And no matter what libertarians think, most people don't want that anyway.

164. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 23:42 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:51:
A fairly lame comparison, people aren't murdering each other to steal copies of the latest Kelly Clarkson album on rapidshare. Your anecdotal account doesn't really justify internet wide censorship by corporations, many of which continue to post record profits year after year.

Time after time you guys focus on the corporate bigwigs making profits and ignore the closed developers and failed franchises. The bigwigs are gonna make their money no matter what, that is never in doubt.

Piracy has a real effect on jobs and what is made.

Has the internet made things easier to share? Sure but that's always been a problem. Sometimes that sharing is perfectly innocent, sometimes its "piracy". People love to create and we love to share. Most entertainment industries real problem with piracy was their continued obsession in fighting technological change in the face of consumer demand.

I agree with this, but still at the end of the day unregulated freedom is pretty opposed to the modern standard. It will be regulated, one way or the other.

67. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 13:43 StingingVelvet

Chromius wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 11:13:
To the people buying the whole "Piracy is huge thing" you are brainwashed, piracy is made out to be much larger than it actually is, these people go to their board meetings and tell them this is why they failed, when in reality it is not the issue, Piracy is the "Get out of jail free card". Private research on this from different non affiliated groups have time and time again said it really is only about 10% or less of what they claim and the US is actually very low, yet the MPAA claim its higher and cry losses and are actually able to get tax write offs over it and act like fascist nazis in other countries. Every download is not a sale, and marketing plays a large factor never mind the current economy and it has been found that most people "able" to purchase a product will even after downloading. I used to purchase 4 boxed games per month, I may have returned 1 and received my money back. Guess what the things they claim are pc games are mostly console ports with very little effort in utilizing the pc's capabilities. The gaming and movie industry are running out of ideas and pushing out loads of garbage, then they play the "piracy card" , lol

Quite believing the hype because "piracy" is actually going to be used to get more control over the internet and cut off Americans from REAL INFORMATION not conspiracy theory stuff. Gee I saw a 2 hour History channel episode of engineers talking about why the 9/11 could not have happened the way it did, it never aired in the US, but if you want to believe everything you read without using logic or researching it go for it. The first of many things they will do when they get control over the internet will be shut off site like the one with 1500+ engineers asking for a REAL investigation into 9/11, so yeah feed the piracy hype by all means.

Pretty much everyone I know my own age or younger pirates games, music and movies relentlessly. Most of them never buy anything, some of them buy their favorites. I started a volunteer overseas program in January and every other volunteer I have spent any time with brought terabytes of pirates stuff with them.

If you ask me the whole "it's not really a problem" apologist shit is the real naive side. Piracy is a massive issue.

An excuse to regulate the internet? Probably, but like the wild west of old it has pretty much been proven that people can't control themselves with a free and unregulated internet.

News Comments > Lost Planet 3 In 2013 From Spark Unlimited
1. Re: Lost Planet 3 In 2013 From Spark Unlimited Apr 10, 2012, 10:43 StingingVelvet

One of the worst developers ever, one wonders how the hell they got this contract.  

25. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 10:38 StingingVelvet

Loved this game. Shame about the sales. Piracy is of course a massive problem but I don't think the game was marketed well on any platform. If Xbox sales were high it would have got a sequel, the PC thing likely has very little to do with it.

As for the port, it looks gorgeous and controlled well. Not sure what the big problem is supposed to be.

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
112. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Apr 5, 2012, 04:01 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 14:49:
I don't grant the premise that the majority in all scenarios (this one sure) but its besides the point. How the developers intend can mean a lot of different things and many people at development companies can't even fully agree on these things. "Best" is subjective and not everyone likes to play games the same way. There's a difference between "playing the game differently" which implies people are somehow subverting the developers vision of the products gameplay and playing the game with a different input mechanism or button layout.

I think there is a massive difference between changing activate from "F" to "E" and playing a game with a completely different control mechanism. Yes you can play AC with a mouse, but it won't be that great because it wasn't what the game was designed for. I think that was this exec's point more than anything, they're not gonna re-write the game to feel like a native mouse experience.

And honestly other than Deus Ex 3 I can't think of a port that has in the last 10 years.

News Comments > PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details
42. Re: PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details Apr 4, 2012, 14:32 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 13:38:
UPlay sounds more and more like another client that I have to run

It's been around since AC2 and is just a login, as far as I know.

110. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Apr 4, 2012, 14:29 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 12:50:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 13:25:
That's the thing, though. Analog input is not ideal for all things. Sometimes you want absolute precision, something that binary input offers. Firing a gun, for example, should be binary. I shouldn't have to worry about how much I'm pushing the trigger. Flipping a switch should be binary. Jumping should be binary. Sprinting should be binary. Crouching should be binary. Being able to input a larger ranger of values is redundant in many cases and only serves to add a delay where none is needed or wanted.

Exactly. This is also why Velvets "the majority dont need it" response isn't valid. They aren't just releasing a game for console platforms, they are releasing a game for the PC as well and if they want people to buy it then they need to understand some basic control expectations on this platform. A frequent lamentation on consoles is the inability to remap buttons or be forced to use preset layouts.

I'm not saying they shouldn't cater to niches to boost sales when it's easy to do. My only point was that the idea of needing to play other than how the developers intended is silly, since the vast majority don't and don't care.

It's a perspective issue.

Anyway, anyone arguing AC games control better with KBM is fucking insane.

108. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Apr 4, 2012, 07:51 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 15:21:
His point still stands, there is no best way to do controls that work for everyone and designers intent doesn't trump everything. That's why so many games have customizable controls, smart developers recognize that.

The vast majority of gamers play on platforms where customizable controls are basically nonexistent. To say they are needed is pretty silly.

News Comments > PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details
40. Re: PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details Apr 4, 2012, 07:48 StingingVelvet

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 00:46:
Obviously you missed Vegas and GRAW.

Indeed, good games. Even the last Splinter Cell was a good game, just not a good Splinter Cell game.

104. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Apr 1, 2012, 13:57 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 21:54:
A real argument could be made that the "best" way to play is the way the developers designed the game to be played, which is with a pad.

I don't really find that be a compelling argument at all. Some of my favorite games were great because of emergent gameplay (Deus Ex, Tribes, Quake, etc). If we had played the games the way their designers had originally intended, they wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Well that's a different topic altogether, clearly I was speaking of control methods.

And Deus Ex was designed to be emergent.

News Comments > SEGA Cutting Jobs, Games
9. Re: SEGA Cutting Jobs, Games Mar 31, 2012, 02:44 StingingVelvet

Releasing shitty games with no marketing doesn't make you billions? Huh, who would have guessed.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 and Obsidian
24. Re: Wasteland 2 and Obsidian Mar 30, 2012, 19:52 StingingVelvet

Weird Avallone and Obsidian just didn't launch their own. I guess this doesn't preclude that, but still.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 and Obsidian
23. Re: Wasteland 2 and Obsidian Mar 30, 2012, 19:51 StingingVelvet

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 19:24:
In Obsidian's defense, Bethesda was 100% responsible for QA on New Vegas. Instead of properly testing the game and sending reports back to Obsidian on what to fix, they rushed it out the door as quickly as possible.

Indeed. And honestly in my experience the game wasn't even that badly bugged, about the same as Fallout 3. I hear the console versions were worse though.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts
35. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts Mar 30, 2012, 16:16 StingingVelvet

Normally I would be thrilled about another singleplayer RPG, but turning an MMO into a singleplayer game would take as much time and effort to do well as finishing the MMO, so...  

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo