Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
6. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 15, 2012, 16:08 StingingVelvet

Like Creston said, the crowd funding this is not interested in DLC and exclusive content. They want complete games. I am glad they are moaning.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
234. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 14, 2012, 06:15 StingingVelvet

Veterator wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 05:55:
Oh man you got me. It's almost like you ignored everything you couldn't argue with and went for sarcasm instead. How did you see past it all?!?!

I love how your ego changes "none of your bullshit was worth replying to" into "oh man I can't handle your amazing genius."

Everything you wrote centered around this idea of not liking something but funding it anyway out of need. There is no need to play ME3. Everyone purchasing the game accepts the terms or else they wouldn't do so. We can whine about DLC, DRM and whatever else but the cold hard facts are consumers accept them, there is no force involved in entertainment.

232. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 14, 2012, 04:58 StingingVelvet

Veterator wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:41:
People do lots of things they'd like to have an alternative to, but lacking an alternative they are stuck with what's there.

Yes, because you lack an alternative to playing Mass Effect 3.

Lordy...

229. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 13, 2012, 19:14 StingingVelvet

But you are in the minority caring about such things, or even considering them wrong.

Repeating your same complaints doesn't change my point.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
63. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 18:47 StingingVelvet

It's gonna be a cheap PC with Steam branding I would guess. The wildest I could see it going is a custom built OS that runs Steam rather than it being an actual PC.

Anything else sounds kind of conspiracy-theory-like.

227. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 13, 2012, 18:45 StingingVelvet

Sorry it took a while to respond, but there's not much to say really.

All the stuff you are angry at them for is stuff most people don't care about. If they agreed with you they would fight or vote with their wallet, but they don't. You seem like you're more mad at consumers for not agreeing with you than the companies selling shit that sells.

225. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 13, 2012, 03:00 StingingVelvet

Veterator wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 17:27:
If they wanted to force me to a console where everything costs money and there is no use for it without paying that money, I would stop gaming today. I've already significantly cut back on what I spend waiting years for releases to drop down to the 5 and 10 dollar range.

Well you're not their target market anymore anyway then. Which is fine as long as you don't expect them to cater to you.

And they are "losing money" on me, simply because I don't buy it day 1. They assume that because I wait to buy it, I must have pirated it earlier and bought it when it was super cheap. I don't like being called a pirate enough so that I will actually not buy games from companies who do that stuff specifically because of it. Nothing will ever make them happy besides you being forced to buy stuff at maximum price and paying more than that on DLC while you pay for a monthly fee.

Of course they want you to spend as much as possible on them, they're a business, their goal is to make money. How is this a surprise? Shit, how is this even wrong? Capitalism 101. It doesn't mean you have to spend a dime, but nor do you have to pirate anything.

So you've found a way that satisfies your purchasing decisions and expect it to be good enough for other people.

How well it works for others will of course vary, but the point was that this idea of not knowing anything about the product before spending money is ridiculous. There is a ton of information and unedited gameplay out there.

And besides, this is not such an alien concept. Have you ever gone to the movies? A show? Have you ever fucking gone out to eat? We put money down before getting the whole product all the time.

This shows a pattern of behavior that WHATEVER you do will not make them happy, they will find some way to make you buy things outright whether by law or by killing services making you withhold from doing so. Piracy is just a channel they can't easily kill, it does not change their ways......once they have those laws they will use them to prevent other services from coming forth that doesn't make them X per Y and give them Z control.

Yes they want your money all the time, that's their job. No they can't "make you" buy anything, you sound insane.

Consumers hold power as long as they can't be cut off from the internet due to legislation allowing ISPs to monitor them and cut them off after "infringement" that has no legal test to meet. This is already in effect with major ISPs whom also happen to be tied to content creation companies. They get to decide if you are infringing now, perhaps it will come in the form of Torrent, Dropbox, email, HTTP, FTP, Netflix, other streaming service, or you will just be questioned because you are encrypting your connections because this shit is BS.

Entitlement goes both ways, and corporations are getting laws entitling them to a lot. Eroding consumer power to demand new services be offered. Just because they limit your choices and keep you locked into a pricing scheme does not mean it's what the consumers demand. It could just as easily be the only choice offered. IE Digital Books should not be more expensive than their paper bound counterpart. Signing agreements with Apple making it even MORE expensive = lawsuit that will do nothing in the end because the companies have other ways of forcing it down our throats due to them being hugely wealthy and having influence and power due to that. They speak with a few voices with lots of money behind them, and the consumer speaks with a million voices with a few dollars behind each. It's much easier to appease the few really wealthy people...as we've seen them do in politics for many years now. Piracy just happens to be the "reason" this decade. In the 80s it was VHS and copying, they even had to update fair use to stop the abuse. And it didn't kill the industry as they claimed. In the 90s it was CDs, it also did not kill the industry....but they made extra money on it in some countries by putting "piracy taxes" on the CDs whether they were used for that or not.

They have shown themselves to be unhappy no matter what happens... this is just another farce of a debate that they reinforce purposefully by skewing numbers, eliminating services, and even buying the companies that PROMOTED digital piracy in the early stages of the internet such as Cnet who used to review torrent and P2P programs, even offering links to the program downloads AND songs on their websites. Where's the outrage over corporate sponsorship of piracy? Shouldn't they look to them for damages for promoting this behavior?

Consumers hold the power as long as we are in a capitalist system with free will and the ability to communicate. No matter how much you want to yell and scream about these evil companies forcing things on you they can't do shit without people buying their products.

You can point of how greedy these companies are all day long but it will never make me pause. Their job is to be greedy, that is what they exist to be. They only get away with flagrant greed if consumers accept it.

Consumers have ALL the power.

223. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 14:56 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:09:
tl;dr - of course "regulation" will progress as technology does, that doesn't mean corporations will get to do whatever they want nor are justified in doing so because "abuse" exists. Degrees are what is important here. The degree of abuse and the degree of regulation.

I completely agree with all that. I wasn't really advocating regulation, just saying I see it as a natural response to abuses, perceived or real. That's history repeating itself.

How much piracy really effects and how it should be responded to is all degrees, I agree.

218. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 11:41 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:36:
Because you failed to realize, like I put in my replies you so coyly try to avoid replying, that people will fight back. The Pirate Party gaining monstrous momentum, the net rising against such laws and winning... Yes, those guys, the corps and govts, will always want more regulations but the point you seem to stubbornly ignore is that people WILL fight back and often win. The fact that many laws got away with it and passed is because people were too lethargic or didn't care because a certain line wasn't crossed. SOPA was that line and now people everywhere are rising up and winning. So what corporations want is irrelevant when people rise and put governments in jeopardy by electing other parties other than the ones who passed such laws.

But again, you will ignore this to continue making your own strawmen.

None of that shit is happening in the U.S., which is what we were talking about (SOPA, etc.). I mean sure there are examples of other trends elsewhere, the country I am in right now doesn't even have fucking copyright at all.

I guess I am more not finding relevance with these ideas of yours rather than not wanting to debate them.

215. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 11:33 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:30:
Nah, I just tend to have that reaction in bullshitters and idiots, like the reaction you are having now. It hurts, I know, being hit by facts to expose your fallacies for what they are but that's the fate of those who spread BS.

It's like Jesus has come down from heaven to spread wisdom.

BTW a quick perusal of your name shows you defended UbiDRM in many forums. Wow. No words are needed here. One more bullshitter down.

Not really. I remember saying if it worked it might be worthwhile since they promised to remove it before shutting down servers, but when it didn't work I said it was bullshit.

214. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 11:32 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 09:25:
That's a straw man though, no one said companies are not losing a single dollar due to piracy. You were the one who started out with the grandiose claims about piracy based on incredibly limited personal anecdotes without a shred of data to back them up then said it justifies massive copyright reform and restriction of personal freedoms.

It's not a straw man when the entire point I was making is that these people losing money means more regulation. Why do you think SOPA wasn't the end of it? Why are they slowly but surely moving all consumers to closed systems?

There is a consistent idea on this forum that these companies have to just suck it up and deal with it, you even post that same kind of thing below. "You're making money, shut the fuck up." My entire argument here is that will NEVER work. They will NEVER accept that. Continued abuse of the internet to get free shit will result in more and more regulation. I don't know what form it will finally take or whether I will agree with it or not, I just know it's coming and it's not hard to see why.

Nothing inherently wrong with being a big corporation except when you try to literally write copyright enforcement laws without public input.

There is public input throughout the entire process. People choose to support companies by buying their products. People support the products by buying them over others. People support the laws made to protect companies by voting in politicians who do so, or not giving a fuck when they do. You can't blame general apathy because hundreds of issues have shown people WILL get riled up when they care, they just don't about most of the shit people bitch about on here.

They did get riled up about SOPA, and thus it stopped. Will they about the next one? Do they care enough to keep going when the hype train is done? Who knows. I doubt it.

Besides, putting "piracy" under some big catch all is really silly. Commercial piracy is a whole other beast from consumer piracy.

Of course, I only balked at his statement that consumer piracy is not abuse of the internet, which is absurd.

212. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 11:26 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 09:29:
Wow, selective quoting at its best considering I said it's neither an abuse nor a benefit since there are no studies for people to say whether it is... Well, it is a nice, cowardly ways of avoiding the points I made. Guess you took the very easy way out just so you can keep on spreading your fallacies everywhere as if they were facts.

The point is we're too far apart to continue debating, so I didn't debate. I explained it right there, but you seemed to have missed it. There is no point going from sentence to sentence when there is no common ground to be found.

You think I am an idiot and I think you are an idiot, so let's just call it a day.

Guess people here are right, you are an idiot with an hidden agenda. Makes me wonder why the idiots flee from me and my facts, guess they can't face someone who sees through all their bullshit.

The way in which you have it all figured out while most humans wander in the dark is truly awe inspiring.

208. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 08:05 StingingVelvet

Veterator wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 06:26:
If they stopped your friends from pirating, would they buy stuff? Would they buy as much stuff as they had downloaded? Could they buy as much stuff as they downloaded? Could they afford to buy half? A fourth? A tenth?

They wouldn't go buy a thousand blu-rays but would they spend more money on entertainment? Of course they would. This idea that most pirates would just completely stop gaming or watching movies and shit cold turkey if piracy was stopped is such silliness. People who have been gaming consistently for decades are just gonna completely stop rather than buy some games? I doubt it.

Again, the extent to which they would spend is debatable and varies on income and such, but no one can ever convince me companies aren't losing money.

Just look at the process like buying shoes...they got some cheap ass shoes out there and some really expensive shoes out there. If they make you want to chop off your feet because they are so uncomfortable, it doesn't really matter how inexpensive/expensive they were...you got robbed. Imagine trying to find out what shoes fit the best without being able to try them on, and they came with no helpful sizing or other information to make a decision on.

Comparing media to physical goods never really ends well. In any case with games at least walkthrough videos, reviews and forum posts offer plenty of pre-purchase info. I know a ton of people here find that idea ridiculous, but honestly for me it is 100% true. I watch quicklooks on giantbomb or youtube and read reviews and then make my purchasing decision... I am rarely if ever wrong.

This is pretty much how they want you to buy everything, unseen, untested, etc. No reviews, no nothing. You buy it the first week it comes out, pay maximum price and never say a bad thing about it. Because if you say something bad about it, you probably didn't get the true "retail" copy and are complaining about the inferior "pirate" version. Hell if it causes your house to burn down because it made your computer catch fire, you keep your pirate mouth shut....never mind you have a receipt and other people complained about the issues who also have receipts. Pirates will say or do anything.

They want you to do that shit but in no way am I saying you should. Consumers hold all the power, they control pricing and product through what they buy. If most people accept 6 hour campaigns, DLC and $60 prices that just means you are in the minority for not doing so, it doesn't mean the companies are "wrong."

And what that has to do with piracy is beyond me... you don't need to pirate to send a message, just not buy the damn thing. Entitlement all up in that shit.

207. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 07:58 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 06:27:
And non-commercial piracy is not abuse.

And there it is.

Done debating with you. We are way too far apart on this to find any common ground. Keep sticking it to those evil job providers.

204. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 06:01 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 03:56:
I admit it doesn't prove anything, and I remain strongly against the practice of taking others' hard work and not paying for it, but it certainly debunks a lot of the shit spewed by industry suits who use piracy as a crutch as to why their businesses are sagging.

Well my point from the start has been that I see WAY too much piracy all around me to think it has no negative impact. Every time my girl and I go to someone's house they are watching pirated movies, playing pirated music or playing pirated games. Everyone my age brags about it, they laugh at me for spending money on this stuff. It's SOOO pervasive.

On the other hand so it Netflix... so I guess the point really is that no one knows. For rights holders though, one pirated copy is too much. They are not going to just deal with a world where their shit is available for free everywhere. Expecting them to just swallow that is naive... abuses mean regulation.

203. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 12, 2012, 05:58 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 18:07:
No sorry, just fuck off. It won't be due to sheep like you, and yes you are the sheep here, that will lie down and take it in the ass that MY personal freedom and the freedoms of everyone around it will be taken away. And if you think that it will happen, just look at what will happen with CISPA now as the net is stirring again.

A small group abusing things IS NOT a fucking excuse to destroy freedom for all just because a tiny elitist group wants it.

You seem to have a real problem differentiating between "yay I want this to happen so bad" and "this will happen because people are abusing the system."

Before you tell me to "fuck off" again perhaps try to understand my points and not react on impulse. I'm all about seeing the whole picture, not arguing personal beliefs. If you seriously want to argue that abusing freedoms does not result in tighter regulation then okay, tell me how that's wrong, but that's my only point.

Or are you saying piracy is not abuse? 'Cause that would be fairytale horseshit.

196. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 17:23 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 16:27:
Everyone has a fucking agenda. Everyone.

So... what's yours?

I try to be as centrist as possible, which I suppose is an agenda. In this particular case though I love games, even most games people here complain about, and want to support them being made. I don't have a customer is always right mentality, actually I tend to assume the opposite. Most people are fucking stupid.

I try to call them like I see them, but honestly I probably have a thing against blind hatred of "the man" for hatred's sake, which a lot of times is what the comment section on this website is about.

195. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 17:20 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 16:54:
Though you saying everyone has an agenda is hilarious since you did say earlier in this thread that the internet should be regulated by laws to fight piracy. Once someone says such enormous aberration out of their mouths anything else they may say on the current discussion is rendered moot and worthless. The whole internet didn't fight SOPA and PIPA and now ACTA just because they were in a mood.

I didn't say it should be, I said it will be, which makes sense overall because things always go down this way. And I didn't say any current model is right or proper.

As for the whole internet fighting it, 90% were sheep. Most of them didn't even have a clue it only applied to foreign based websites, they were all saying youtube was gonna fall.

Anyway, my main point is that when people take advantage of freedoms to do shit that hurts those in power creating jobs the government is gonna smack that freedom down. Happens over and over and over again.

191. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 16:21 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 14:41:
That kind of idiotic shit, making up fake data without any evidence whatsoever, turns you into a fucking apologist. Want to gain respect from everyone here? Stop making shit up to defend a decaying industry, it's that simple.

And the people on the other side aren't doing the same exact thing, disregarding piracy and acting like it's not a big deal so that the companies always look wrong?

Everyone has a fucking agenda. Everyone.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Clues
29. Re: Crysis 3 Clues Apr 11, 2012, 16:18 StingingVelvet

DangerDog wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 16:03:
They tried to capture the Battlefield audience with Crysis 1's multiplayer mode "power struggle", in the beta they were asking people what they thought and everyone was clamoring for more team play focus and that it lacked a "front line" approach to any of the battles so it was just pockets of action spread out too thin. Of course they ignored all the input, too close to release etc.

They tried to rekindle interest with the expansion, adding new maps and tweaking gameplay. Just never caught on.

So they completely abandoned it and went full retard with making Crysis 2 a call of duty clone right down to small team deathmatch maps. The salt on the wound was having paid map packs for a multiplayer component that felt dead on delivery.

It must have come as a shock to Yerli that nobody wanted to play his nano-suit version of call of duty.

Unless they've done some major re-thinking to the franchise this one will remain "on the shelf" for me.

Well multiplayer isn't the reason to play any of them really.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo