Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer
35. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 07:33 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 04:36:
It's not a great game, but I like what they TRIED to do with it. Have you played the DLC? You should just pirate the DLC and check it out, they made a lot of improvements.

Do waves of enemies still spawn out of thin air? If so, the DLC still sucks. The wave-based enemy spawns were the worst part of DA2, especially on Nightmare difficulty. There's really no excuse for such half-assed design.

No, they don't. Also the choices actually matter. Also better area design.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Human Head Off Prey 2?
31. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 21, 2012, 03:17 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:11:
You keep saying that as if its a shield from everything. Being a business doesn't mean that you are suddenly excused from any moral judgments others make for your actions, individually or otherwise. You make these judgments all the time involving Valve for example. The game sold exceedingly well, beyond Bethesdas projections. They could have rewarded them for their performance instead of clinging to an arbitrary clause ironically intended to protect them from poor sales in the first place.

You seem unable to separate the consumer from the business perspective but that's really your problem, not anyone else. No one here has said that Obsidian isn't at fault for signing the contract nor that Bethesda doesn't have a right to do business. They are just saying Bethesda had an opportunity to do something decent for a developer that made a great product and instead chose an out. This resulted in real people losing their jobs. Obsidian isn't blameless but neither is Bethesda even if they did it for business reasons. They aren't "evil" or something silly but it was a shitty thing to do.

I just can't for the life of me imagine a business ever doing the type of thing you seem to expect them to do. The reward that makes sense is offering Obsidian a better deal the next go-around and giving them more work, but if they have been whining about the contract they probably screwed themselves on that.

Anyway, the goes back to my entire point about Valve, which has always been "they are not your friends." I just don't see this chummy relationship you guys seek with businesses to ever be possible, nor do I think judging a business for wanting to make as much money as possible is right. Their job is to make as much money as possible.

It's not that I defend businesses, I just expect them to act like businesses.

31. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 03:12 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 16:15:
I'll be interested to see what you think of ME3. I thought it was a great game that is a nice compromise between ME1 and ME2. Unfortunately all of that has been overshadowed by the godawful ending.

It will likely be the first game I play when I get home in June, so I'll force a post in about it somewhere. I like artsy-fartsy endings a lot of the time though, so I'm not planning to be as annoyed as everyone else. We shall see.

DA2 had few redeeming qualities but we've discussed that one to death.

It's not a great game, but I like what they TRIED to do with it. Have you played the DLC? You should just pirate the DLC and check it out, they made a lot of improvements.

25. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 16:01 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:47:
Are you kidding? He went on for weeks about how great Dragon Age 2 was...

It's funny how to you negative nancies "it's not bad" is rambling about how great something is.

Anyway, I quite like most of EA's games. The Dead Space series is excellent, Crysis 2 was damn good IMO as well and Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games of the last 5 years.

I admit Medal of Honor sucked, but Mass Effect 2 was great and an improvement on the original IMO. Haven't played ME3 or Syndicate yet, but look forward to it.

DA2 is a tough one... it has many flaws and was obviously rushed, but the change in look and speed was much appreciated by me after the somewhat awkward and cliche Origins. So I'm kind of torn.

13. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 13:59 StingingVelvet

Jackplug wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:44:
Usual shit from EA, wont be buying it anyways.

Show me where EA touched you...

Seriously, EA make awesome games a lot of the time. This old hate is silly.

28. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 20, 2012, 13:26 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 12:05:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:52:
How are simple and clear contract terms "technicalities"?

Again, we are not in a court of law here, this is a comment board on a gaming website. No one is judging its legality which makes your entire assertion meaningless. People are saying it was a shitty thing for them to do just because they could, there are many examples of companies doing the opposite in society. They made a conscious choice and people are criticizing them for it regardless of how valid it might have been legally.

I'm not saying they are saints, I am saying they are a business and out to make money like any other business. If Obsidian signed a contract why the fuck would Bethesda give them more money than it stipulated?

This website seems obsessed with the idea of "good companies" and "bad companies" when it's all PR bullshit. They all want your money, they will all do whatever it takes to get the most of it they can.

26. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 20, 2012, 11:52 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 11:44:
You sound like a lawyer trying to excuse weasel behavior through technicalities. They could have given them anything but chose to use a contract technicality to get out of it. The fact that you think that's ok because its the letter of the contract doesn't mean the rest of us can't point out how shitty it was considering how successful the product was.

How are simple and clear contract terms "technicalities"?

24. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 20, 2012, 11:25 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 07:46:
You can't just throw around the word business to excuse all corporate misdeeds and bad PR moves. When they do something shitty people are going to talk about it, stop bleating about a hate train.

It's not an excuse, it's a reason they're not being shitty. No business is going to say "well hey, screw the contract, you guys did good work... here's a bonus." Expecting that is ridiculous.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+
60. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 20, 2012, 06:44 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 14:01:
If some dev said "Yeah, I'll use this funds to pay for my rent, and my laundry, and my lunches, and my attorney fees, and taking my girlfriend to see a musical", I wouldn't give him a dime.

Well, a lot of that falls under salary doesn't it? I think it's a no-brainer that these funds go to salaries and thus living expenses.

18. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 20, 2012, 06:04 StingingVelvet

Everyone is jumping on the Bethesda hate-train lately but if you sign a contract you should fulfill it, not whine about wanting better terms. Same goes for Obsidian and the metacritic thing with Fallout: New Vegas.

And the "scrolls" shit is needed because US trademark law is so fucked.

Bethesda are a business like any other, no more or less evil.

17. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 20, 2012, 06:03 StingingVelvet

Yuioup wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 01:33:
Seriously who really cares about Prey 2? I picked up Prey for 4 euros in a bargain bin about a year after it came out. I like the game but I never see any mention of it ...

Are people really waiting to play Prey 2?

NAMES ON THE BOX ARE ALL THAT MATTERS I PAID NO ATTENTION TO PREVIEWS!

News Comments > Prey 2 Lives; Delayed
10. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:01 StingingVelvet

Thank God this isn't dead, I was in love with it from the original concept release. Hopefully they put some Bethesda staff on it to finish it right if Human Head is dropping the ball.  

News Comments > Dead State Status Report; Kickstarter Plans
10. Re: Dead State Status Report; Kickstarter Plans Apr 18, 2012, 15:44 StingingVelvet

The point of Kickstarter is to fund projects you have a passion for and really want to see completed. I can see being irritated with them if you look at it as the new standard, but it's not, or shouldn't be. All the games making headlines for kickstarter will also be for sale normally, just wait for that, unless you have a real passion for them.

Shadowrun Returns is the only one I cared enough about to support before it's finished.

News Comments > Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints
20. Re: Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints Apr 18, 2012, 15:38 StingingVelvet

God damn I love Dead Space.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
40. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 17, 2012, 04:43 StingingVelvet

Can't wait to replay this game now and side with the elves. Adding all this content, plus the massive differences based on that decision, will make it feel almost like a third Witcher game.

I've been removed from modern gaming for almost 6 months due to an overseas job and it's funny that when I get home one of the first things I play will be a game I already finished.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
39. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 17, 2012, 04:39 StingingVelvet

eunichron wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 21:06:
dumpy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 21:00:
Steam required Rage to patch 15 gig before I was able to play. I never used Steam very much in the past, but recently I've learned of their autopatch bs which screws my games like Skyrim and AVP2.

You can turn off autopatching for individual games by right clicking it in the library, selecting Properties, and then changing the option in the Updates tab.

You can also pause downloads manually at the downloads screen.

Steam still forces you to patch if you try to launch the game. Also that setting doesn't always stop updates, if Valve push it on you the setting doesn't matter.

The only way to stop updates for real on Steam is to be in offline mode. Even then, if you go online to make a purchase it will likely start the update process, then even if you quickly go offline the game will not work until you update.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Announced
86. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 17, 2012, 04:35 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 02:10:
A design decision largely driven by a console's limitations. Crytek simply could not replicate the same experience of Crysis on consoles without compromising it (as the ports eventually proved), so they decided to avoid that path entirely and go the city route. You may prefer this route but you can't really ignore the technical reasons behind it.

The ports of Crysis you mean? I haven't played them but it is my understanding the original Crysis plays fine on consoles, open-world and all. They removed some foliage and such, but it still looks mostly the same.

I would guess you're both right... setting it in NY probably let them put more on screen, but they could have easily done an open area too.

85. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 17, 2012, 04:33 StingingVelvet

zirik wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 19:35:
wait... did i read that correctly? prophet is alive? dont tell me theyre going to reincarnate him in the body of alcatraz. alcatraz might be mute during the entire game but his mind was not dead. the nanosuit kept him from being infected and dying from his injuries. prophet on the other hand shot himself in the head at the beginning of crysis 2. or is this a prequel to crysis 2?

I don't blame you for being confused because the story was terrible, but Prophet basically is the suit now.

64. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 16:11 StingingVelvet

Loved the original, liked the second. Will be getting this, they have so-far earned my loyalty to this series. Even watered down the formula is ten times better and more interesting than other shooters on the market today.  

63. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 16:10 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:59:
I agree, I like these games but I'm not going out of my way to seek them out, they should put it on Steam if they want sales from people like us.

Despite the vocal cries I can't imagine people as persnickety as you amount to serious numbers. Since they make a lot more money on Origin sales I am sure that outweighs some lost sales from insanely loyal Steam fans.

Not making a judgement call, just saying that is surely the logic at work.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo