Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
13. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 15:33 StingingVelvet

GarrettTX1 wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 13:56:
Have to agree - this is looking more like Crysis 2.1 (sadly IMO) than the original Crysis (and Warhead somewhat). IE: Big beautiful levels with human opponents where multiple approaches (like stealth) could be used tactically to approach/finish the level(s).

Looks more like the shoot/blow everything up that all the lil kiddies (ie: the current target audience for pubs/devs...) like nowadays...

Would be great to hear more "Die Mr Yankee Zankee..." comments from human opponents AI in Crysis 3...

I played Crysis 2 entirely in stealth mode, and this one is introducing a bow purely for stealth enhancement, so.... yeah, you look kind of silly rambling about this.

Yes the areas were smaller in Crysis 2, but the same choose your tactics and stealth gameplay was in the game. Stop thinking with your knee-jerk PC gamer elitism and play the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
212. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 13:28 StingingVelvet

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 12:05:
Verno wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 11:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 10:53:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 15:20:
I'd be willing to bet they have server que's day one for people just wanting to play single player. That seems to be the Blizzard way.

The thing people need to understand is that this game has no singleplayer mode. You can solo WoW to the level cap but it is still not a singleplayer game. Same here.

That argument has been debunked several times. Few of the social features nor the gameplay world require a persistent connection. The world itself isn't even persistent like WoW. It's strictly protection features that underpin the game - things like the AI and item generation are all handled server side. It's understandable design choice given their RMAH stuff but likewise it's quite understandable for people criticize their choices. Particularly people who frequently travel or are in organizations like the military.

They didn't want to underwrite offline functionality so they can take their licks for any release day woes that happen, fair is fair.
And as it's been pointed out before, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't have an offline version where your characters are never permitted to go online. That would solve the cheating issues by that avenue and give offline gamers what they want. They chose not to do that, so that will cost them some sales from those folks that can't play online.

I agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

209. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 10:53 StingingVelvet

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 15:20:
I'd be willing to bet they have server que's day one for people just wanting to play single player. That seems to be the Blizzard way.

The thing people need to understand is that this game has no singleplayer mode. You can solo WoW to the level cap but it is still not a singleplayer game. Same here.

208. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 24, 2012, 10:52 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 19:29:
If by Moderator, you mean the Community Manager...that position tends to know more about an overall game than most of the devs. And info about the Beta not being a Demo has been in more than a few places on the official website and forums.

He said moderator so I said moderator. Correct him.

Penny Arcade article regarding Valve pricing.

Valve’s Gabe Newell once spoke about a series of pricing experiments on Steam, and stated that a price reduction of 75 percent should mean gross revenue remains constant, based on their prior experience. “Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40,” he said. “Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.”

I've read those articles many times, but their sampling is often quite limited. The overall effect, IMO, is much less known.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
2. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 10:46 StingingVelvet

Joss wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 10:30:
Using same characters/alien models, it's going to be an easy payday for CryTek/EA with this title.

If it's as fun to play as the last two I can't say I give a shit.

News Comments > Valve on Half-Life 3 Ricochet 2
64. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 24, 2012, 03:19 StingingVelvet

NKD wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 22:25:
Goldeneye complex? It was an awesome game, don't get me wrong, but it was pretty bare bones in terms of complexity. You had your typical array of weapons and mines, and bad guys to use them on. If anything, Goldeneye's simplicity is part of its charm. It made the split-screen multiplayer amazingly fun.

You had multiple objectives, often you had to find the correct route, objectives changed based on difficulty, etc. etc. It wasn't just point and shoot like 90% of modern FPS games.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Specs
2. Re: Max Payne 3 Specs Apr 23, 2012, 21:38 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 21:36:
You left out the strangest one: 35 gig of HD space.

Uncompressed movies and textures probably, which is a good thing. Everyone complains about compressed to shit 720p videos but then when a game like The Force Unleashed uses uncompressed video people bitch about the file size.

You can't win in this industry.

58. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 21:36 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 14:42:
If Quake was released today Johnny Console FPS would think its a piece of garbage but that doesn't really mean anything either. Both were great titles for their time and I'd even say hold up well in the most important regards but they are certainly not without their retrospective warts.

Even the console guys have seen everything change. Halo and Goldeneye, the games that brought FPS to consoles, were much different and more complex than games released today. Dumbing down is not about platforms, it never was... it's just about mass-market versus niche-market.

News Comments > Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st
33. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 21:30 StingingVelvet

DangerDog wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 18:56:
yes, that's a form of region locking. like I said some games do and some don't.

considering that IW treats the PC version like abandonware I guess they don't care, or are really, really slow at removing "out of territory" games.

You're gaming the global pricing system, which exists for a reason. Games should not be the same price in the US as Russia, for example, just like a house is not the same price in Mexico and Florida.

I'm not giving you a moral speech about it, but honestly if I were to have the mindset where fucking over devs and pubs is okay I would just pirate shit.

197. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 14:28 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 01:30:
Sorry, I assumed you meant "Steam sale" level. Yeah, you can get a few percentage points off, but $39.99 for a game over a year old is a lot in my books. You won't see it at the $5/$10/$15 price points that you can get on Steam.

God I hate how Steam sales have ruined the value of games. OMG it's a year old it isn't worth shit! How silly...

196. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 14:18 StingingVelvet

Slippy wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 11:26:
sigh... From the official D3 website forum by a Moderator:

"This is an open stress testnot a demo and certainly not a finished product. You may experience a number of issues and errors, but this is exactly what helps us to prepare for the smoothest launch possible on May 15"

nuff said... LOL

I'd hate to be the company responsible for the boxed game manufacturing... not a lot of time to tie up loose ends, go gold, hit production, package and ship in time for shelf release on May 15th. Damn they must have stream-lined the hell out of their manufacturing vendors.

Not to defend this game because I dislike the genre (click click loot) and hate the online requirement, but...

1) Moderators know nothing.

2) What is in the box is completely irrelevant now-a-days, especially for a game like this.

35. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 14:13 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 13:48:
I'd be ok with HL3 only being 8 hours so long as they're 8 good hours. MW3 could have been 20 hours and it would have been painful. Even at 5 it wore out its welcome and got... dumb and redundant.

If Half-Life 2 was released today it would be ripped apart for pacing issues. Well, maybe not with the Valve name on it, but you know what I mean.

Not saying I would agree with that, but it's true.

18. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 14:09 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 13:25:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 13:04:
Black Ops 2.

Thanks, we know. Same Engine and assets though right? Maybe you can try something new and ship only 5 MP maps and offer day one DLC with another 5 MP maps. Won't the fans be thrilled when you use that time during certification to make more maps!
No, they alternate between MW games and another game. I think this year its MW4. Next year it will be BO2 (Body Odor 2, new and improved version)

Otherwise you got the rest right

Last year was Modern Warfare 3. BLOPS was before that.

11. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 13:24 StingingVelvet

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 11:57:
I saw that youtube video of a guy playing Black Ops single player on hardest difficulty, I believe he played through the first level without firing a single shot. His Ai team mates were killing everyone, he just hang back. I believe there were 1 single shot he had to take in order for the cinematic to continue.

In every CoD game the first level or two are like that... pretty much tutorials. You couldn't do that for the rest of the game.

25. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 13:23 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 12:39:
If HL3 is an 8 or so hour singleplayer game I will be surprised (but thrilled).

Why would you be thrilled when HL1 and 2 were ~20 hours? I'd be disappointed if HL3 were only 8 hours.

Well you know what I mean.

6. Re: Call of Duty Reveal on May 1st Apr 23, 2012, 11:40 StingingVelvet

I still enjoy the campaigns in these games purely on spectacle and such... like a Michael Bay movie. That said Black Ops was the last one I will buy on day one, there's just not enough there for $60 if you're a singleplayer guy like me, and the formula is no longer exciting.

Sadly these drop in price SO slowly.

14. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 11:38 StingingVelvet

Years ago I said they were modifying what a HL game is on some level to match the online-focused "games as a service model." I still think that is the case, but I am eager to be proven wrong.

If HL3 is an 8 or so hour singleplayer game I will be surprised (but thrilled).

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Apr 22, 2012, 11:46 StingingVelvet

psulli wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 09:24:
NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 20:06:
You're better off pirating the game than buying it used from GameStop. Either way the developer doesn't see a cent, and if you pirate, you're not supporting GameStop's vampiric business practices.

You're better off stealing the car than buying it used from a used ca dealer. Either way the manufacturer doesn't see a cent, and if you steal it you're not supporting used car lots vampiric business practices.

It's always fun when people think physical items compare at all to software. A 1980 Dodge Durango is quite a bit different from buying a new 2012 one, which is called incentive to buy new. Games? No such thing.

I support used game sales legally, but the fact of the matter is you're barely supporting devs, pubs and the industry if you purchase that way.

As someone else said though, used games and piracy have already changed business practices. Most people here tell publishers to just live with it or adapt, which IS what they will do. Games as a service... The Old Republic instead of KotOR 3.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Apr 22, 2012, 02:19 StingingVelvet

NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 20:06:
You're better off pirating the game than buying it used from GameStop. Either way the developer doesn't see a cent, and if you pirate, you're not supporting GameStop's vampiric business practices.

Also I'm a bit confused about people bitching about game prices like they are out of control. Even at $60, games are cheaper than they were 10, 20 years ago, adjusted for inflation.

Read this.

Another thing that comes to mind: If you're one of those people who waits for a sale or buys used, that's fine, and smart, but keep in mind that if you're doing that for developers you really like, you're effectively doing nothing to contribute to their survival in the current environment. At that point your support is worth little more than if you had simply pirated the title, because the decision about the future of the studio has already been decided.

If you want to support a developer in the mainstream market, you have to buy it new in the first couple weeks of release. It sucks that the industry is set up that way, but that's just the reality of it.

Everything this man wrote is 100% true.

News Comments > Human Head Off Prey 2?
33. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 21, 2012, 07:37 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 04:17:
Yes, all businesses exist to maximize profit. However, there are many ways to achieve this goal, with some being more respectful to customers than others. For example, CD Projekt didn't have to give away all the Witcher 2 DLC for free. They didn't have to allow existing customers of Witcher 2 to have a free upgrade to the Enhanced Edition. It would have been easier for them to go the Capcom route and charge everyone for these things. But they didn't. They decided that the best way to maximize profit was to respect their customers and treat them well, not try to nickel and dime them.

Then you have businesses like Capcom that charge customers for even the most trivial of DLC (like costume palette swaps) or minor upgrades (Super Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom, Resident Evil 5 Gold, etc). Or Microsoft, whose business practices revolve around screwing anyone who doesn't own an Xbox (and a LIVE Gold account). While these practices may generate revenue, they don't generate good will amongst customers and potential customers.

But see this speaks directly to my point... that's just CDP's angle, their way of getting headlines and attention and hopefully sales and loyal customers. Now you can say "well I like that method of persuasion" and sure, so do I, but never doubt for a minute that if TW2 sells better on Xbox they will be console devs from then on, or if their publisher wants to sell some DLC they will do so.

It's all about the money. I just can't see ever saying something like "Valve are my bros" when I know everything they do is designed to get my cash, just like EA. If anything I kind of respect EA's lack of bullshitting you.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo