Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
78. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 09:25 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on May 23, 2012, 05:48:
People can ignore a one-off failure, but when it starts to develop into a pattern as it is with BiowarEA then people aren't so quick to jump on-board and part with their hard-earned cash. You also have to rememember that you're talking about ever expanding budgets whilst their sales decline. And that's how the beginning of the end starts. You can bet the suits at EA are taking a long, hard look at Bioware right now trying to figure out what to do exactly.

Where is the one-off, let alone the pattern? Dragon Age 2 made a good profit according to EA and Bioware. It was a mediocre game, but it was also pretty low-budget and rushed. It was made to make a quick buck, which it did. Mass Effect 3 sold more than 2 or 1. TOR will make money eventually, it was never promised to be the new WOW and they said that themselves. Also the TOR studio is an all new one in Texas, and it shutting down would not have to effect Bioware proper.

This is all silly hyperbole, honestly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed
16. Re: Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed May 23, 2012, 09:21 StingingVelvet

InBlack wrote on May 23, 2012, 07:30:
Im guessing that the 'real' XCOM game is the real reason for the delay.

Management Fail is what I call it, anything other than a remake of the original was/is bound to fail. Oldschoolers will shun it for its heresy, and newschoolers are clueless as to what the fuck its supposed to be anyway.

As someone else just basically said, this is such BS. Good games sell, bad games don't, more or less. Fallout 3 was certainly not hurt by the legions of whining old fans who were mad about it. Syndicate sold moderately because it wasn't that great a game.

XCOM the shooter being delayed is all about the game not fitting 2K's standards. 2K are actually really good about not releasing shitty games just to make a deadline.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed
11. Re: Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed May 23, 2012, 05:14 StingingVelvet

I thought XCOM looked great. Unique art style and setting, cool strategy and RPG elements. It's a shame it must have had severe development problems.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
73. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 05:04 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:40:
ASeven wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:30:
Well, this is pretty much it. $300M down the drain with no significant ROI at all and now the people suffer.

Could this be the beginning of the end for Bioware? If DA3 doesn't sell well I can see BW folding and joining the big graveyard of developer houses EA chewed and spit.

Bioware was dead to me after DA2. I never got into the ME series... bought ME1 on steam, and it just didn't grab me for some reason, so I never bought ME2 or ME3.

Although they say they have learned from DA2... I tend to doubt it... we'll see though.

And, yes, I think if DA3 fails, EA will kill Bioware off. They already have for the most part.... just the name still exists... but that will go next.

You guys are amusing with this Bioware is dying hyperbole. ME3 sold better than 1 and 2, and while DA2 was disappointing it was not a total bomb or a long-term trend. TOR was a mandated project and despite "only" a million subs and a probably free-to-play future I would guess it will make a decent ROI for EA.

It's too strong a brand to kill, and hasn't had that many failures at all. Westwood and Bullfrog in comparison were more niche developers (PC only) and hadn't had a good hit in years and years when they closed. Also Westwood basically became part of EA LA, rather than thrown out on their asses.

News Comments > DmC Runs to PCs Next Year
16. Re: DmC Runs to PCs Next Year May 22, 2012, 10:39 StingingVelvet

Fantaz wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:00:
Rattlehead wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:03:
I loved Devil May Cry 4 on PC and will gladly check this out pending reviews.

Well this time it's not the same guys who did DMC4, but Ninja Theory is working on this one. Dante now looks like some emo kid, and they seem to be catering to the small group of emo/goth followers... they completely lost touch with what the style was of the original game. I spoke with the original Dante voice actor, Capcom never wanted him back because they wanted to go with someone cheaper. They just contract out cheaper developers now to make sequels because they simply don't care. That mentality is going to show in the products they produce... and it will suck.

You say this like the original Dante was ever some deep or mature character.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013
34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 22, 2012, 10:36 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:21:
I kinda wish this was canceled instead of the Alien RPG by Obsidian. At least that had the potential to be interesting. Colonial Marines looks like CoD with Xenomorphs. Really slow Xenomorphs that apparently don't bleed acid. Also, they act like the concept of marines vs aliens has never been done before, except it was done in AvP on the Jaguar, AvP on the PC, AvP 2 on the PC and the latest multiplatform AvP. It's not a novel concept anymore.

They could have done something interesting with this game, like turning it into an X-COM-ish experience where you send marines to investigate various colonies, space stations, spaceships, etc, in an effort to wipe out the xenomorphs and track down the queen. Events could happen in real-time too, so if you decided to check out a space station before a colony, everyone on the colony could already be dead/impregnated by the time you get there, resulting in less intel and more aliens.

You act like the market doesn't want simple shooters. They do.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 08:47 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on May 19, 2012, 04:48:
It didn't get that from working, it got that from having positives that outweighed negatives. If games can offer enough positives to having an online requirement to offset that negative, they might start being appreciated as well - indeed, that's the reason people are tolerant of them for MMOs. The advantages of the MMO environment outweigh the fact you can only play it online.

So far, there's no real gain to online requirements for games that are perceived as single player. Whether they can manage to provide such a benefit remains to be seen.

Every benefit to Steam DRM would work fine as an option... during install choose to run the game without Steam DRM free or use the online features. They basically get away with forcing the DRM on you by making you perceive it as needed, even if it really isn't. Same for Diablo 3, they could have offline characters just like Diablo 2.

So I guess you're right, but in the sense they have to sell that, not really provide it.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 04:36 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on May 18, 2012, 17:34:
And when Half Life 2 came out everyone HATED Steam, both the service and in principle, but now it is the savior of PC gaming.

Of course, the market was tanking and devs were jumping ship to the consoles and publishers were starting to waver on PC support. Steam solidified a new distribution method that made the market more accessible and affordable. I think it really did save PC gaming, no one else was stepping up to the plate any time soon.

I'm not saying otherwise, I am just saying something hated and broken started getting loved and appreciated as soon as it started working. If Diablo 3 had a smooth launch I doubt anyone would care about the requirement other than weirdos like me who care about game preservation.

Similarly I bet the next console gen has a Steam-like DRM system of some kind, and while I bet a lot of articles and forum posts are written about how horrible that is as long as it works the mass market will not give a shit.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2012, 15:46 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:47:
It's the exact same thing they did with the initial DRM. Everyone fucking HATED the Securom bullshit with limited activations and having to talk to a server etc etc. And now when a game has that, it's considered "mild DRM."

And when Half Life 2 came out everyone HATED Steam, both the service and in principle, but now it is the savior of PC gaming.

In the end I think DRM only annoys most people when it doesn't work, frankly. If you just put the serial in and play no one really gives a shit, no one thinks of the long term issues. Diablo 3 is getting bad press because the DRM broke the game at release. If it didn't, no one would complain outside some hardcore DRM haters.

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed
52. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 03:31 StingingVelvet

Slippy wrote on May 1, 2012, 22:57:
I've bought different items for Portal 2 just because it makes my little robot look different...

Then you're the person we're making fun of, not the person we need to hear "it's okay" from.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
238. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 15:24 StingingVelvet

To me when you force an online connection because of the auction house thing and not wanting confusion over offline and online characters you have let the multiplayer corrupt the singleplayer to a tragic degree.

In any case though, I will drop the debate, because as I said before I don't even like these games in the first place.

235. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 07:49 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 07:02:
No, this is about you claiming the game is "not singleplayer". If you have no interest in playing it in a singleplayer capacity, that's your call. But you don't get to generalize for all of us.

To all but the most anal retentive saying "it's not singleplayer" would be shorthand for "it's not really singleplayer because its design is so focused on multiplayer."

But whatever.

233. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 26, 2012, 05:39 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 21:36:
Sure, let's take UT3. Would it be fair to say the game was designed primarily for multiplayer? Absolutely. Would you be correct if you said it had no singleplayer component? Absolutely not.

Oh, so this is about nit-picking. Okay then, let me rephrase for your comfort.

Diablo 3 is so designed around multiplayer it has lost me as a singleplayer customer. Is that better?

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced
13. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 15:12 StingingVelvet

AnointedSword wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:24:
ItBurn wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:00:
While it's good that we're getting more stalker-style games, free 2 play and mmo are not good words for me. Online games can't capture the richness of a singleplayer experience... And Stalker was all about the richness of experience.

You will see a day where online catches up. The bottom line is, most people do not want to be alone;) They would rather get together with family and friends and hang out. This applies to virtual worlds as well.

There's introverts in gaming, just like in other things.

228. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 14:21 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:04:
The same is not true of D3. If you make a private game, it's private. No other player can join you. You aren't sharing a world with anyone else. It is, in all sense of the word, a purely singleplayer experience.

As for developers saying things, I'd simply point out that the developers of Mass Effect 3 told us how the ending was going to be based on the choices that players had made in the game. In other words, developers can be wrong.

I think they would know if they developed it as a multiplayer game or not.

Anyway I never said the comparison was perfect, it was an analogy. The point is this game was designed as multiplayer, the online requirement is there to enforce that, I don't see how you could say otherwise. If you want another example perhaps a private FPS match against bots? Or playing Guild Wars solo with hired companions?

In any event design decisions they made have turned off many singleplayer gamers, myself included, and nothing you say changes that.

226. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 14:00 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 13:33:
I'm just saying by always being online, always having that auction house there, always ready for someone to jump in, you're basically soloing a multiplayer game.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but what I'm saying is that the presence of these things do not automatically make it a purely multiplayer game. Functionally speaking, there is no difference between playing D2 in offline mode, and playing D2 in a solo battle.net mode. Simply playing a game with an online requirement doesn't remove the singleplayer component of it.

And as I originally compared it, you can also solo all the time in WoW and in effect play it as a singleplayer game, but it still isn't that. D3 was designed as multiplayer only, the developers even said so when the internet thing came out. I believe the quote was something like "playing this by yourself is playing it wrong."

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced
1. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 13:58 StingingVelvet

The end if singleplayer is near.  

221. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 25, 2012, 11:49 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:20:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 08:52:
agree with both of you, they could have easily done that, but they didn't and the game as it is is not singleplayer.

The online requirement doesn't affect the nature of gameplay. The singleplayer component is no different in D3 than it is in D2. Forcing you online to play singleplayer doesn't take away the fact you are playing singleplayer. That'd be like saying that Assassins Creed had no singleplayer.

Heck, let's just say for the sake of argument that it is a MP game. People would have a right to complain about server queues on launch day and seek compensation for downtime and other problems with the service like they do in other primarily MP games. The consoles even do that stuff for their online services. So saying "people need to think of it as a MP game" isn't really much of a defense either way, Blizzard is still accountable for ensuring that people have a playable experience to the best of their ability.

It wasn't meant as a defense dude, the requirement makes me sick to my stomach. I'm just saying by always being online, always having that auction house there, always ready for someone to jump in, you're basically soloing a multiplayer game. Which is BAD, to be clear.

What is worse is that it will sell amazingly well anyway and show other publishers they should do the same thing.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration
32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 11:43 StingingVelvet

briktal wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:04:
Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:30:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 00:29:
Can't play this until June. Really eager to see if the ending is as bad as all the fucking press coverage makes it seem.

It's pretty rare to see the critics and fans so united in their displeasure, it is objectively bad in many regards. I'm a huge fan of the ME series, it's had many problems over the years but its very engrossing and seemingly aspired to a different story telling method. All of that goes into the tank with the ending. It's poorly edited, a lot of the occurrences make no sense, it discards the themes of choice and comradery built over the series. It's a damned shame because ME3 is otherwise an excellent title, even the horde mode style MP is alright.

It would be one thing if it was well written and the cutscene cohesion made sense but fans just didn't like it. I've played many games where I didn't like the ending, I'm sure others have too. Endings are one of those things no one does well because there is little money in it.

This fan effort is just silly though, it will make no difference.

I thought the "critics" said it was wonderful and appropriate and art and that anyone who didn't like it is an entitled baby who just wants a happy Hollywood ending? Or has the game been out long enough that they can step away from their 10/10 reviews and talk about how much they disliked the ending and how it ruined everything?

Yeah I was gonna say, on the sites I go to critics mostly defend the ending, or at least say its not THAT bad.

I guess I'll find out in two months.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration
15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 00:29 StingingVelvet

Can't play this until June. Really eager to see if the ending is as bad as all the fucking press coverage makes it seem.  

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo