Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Dishonored Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: Dishonored Gameplay Trailer Jun 1, 2012, 10:30 StingingVelvet

The team involved, gameplay style and visual look of this game sold me pretty much on day one. Not gonna watch anything else and spoil myself.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights
24. Re: Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights May 31, 2012, 12:35 StingingVelvet

Theo wrote on May 31, 2012, 11:52:
Masseffect 1 on the 360 minght be the worst game of all time in terms of technology; it performs like shit and has pop in no matter what - Me2 is fine tho.

Yeah, I have read people complaining that Mass Effect has a shitty port to PC but I don't think any of those people every played it on Xbox. The Xbox game was borderline broken and the PC version actually has a lot of nice updates and changes on top of the fact it actually functions.

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
81. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 12:30 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 31, 2012, 10:18:
Nonsense, as someone who has accounts on most gaming enthusiast sites over the years, the internet in general has a lot of differing opinions and it's always been that way. People who are negative tend to be more vocal and people looking to rant about opinions they don't like tend to only focus on the negative anyway. Doom 3 wasn't very well liked in general on the forums I frequented back then either, it was an incredibly divisive game. Very few people were middle of the road, it was a love or hate thing, as many if not most internet discussions have always been.

I go to a ton of forums and gaming news sites and blues is by FAR the negative nancy of the bunch. Feel free to disagree, but that is my experience. I know the internet is negative leaning all around, I'm not an idiot, but this site is more so than most in my experience.

As for Doom 3, I didn't mean my comment to sound like HEY EVERYONE LOVED IT WHEN IT CAME OUT. Again, I can ONLY speak to MY experience, which was forums filled with people excited about the game and talking about how awesome it was. Selective sampling? Less negative forum? Partial memory? I dunno, but that is my experience.

Anyway, game is awesome IMO, just a little too long. The flashlight thing works as a game mechanic, you have to choose between seeing or shooting, which ratchets up the tension. The monster closets can grow annoying, but they did the same thing in the original game and in Doom 3 it calms down a lot once you go to hell the first time. It becomes more action-focused, if I remember right.

Anyway you're right this game is divisive. I just wish people like the dude below didn't act like it's objectively bad or a completely different game form the original, because neither is true.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
8. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks May 31, 2012, 12:24 StingingVelvet

Hey look, Eurogamer have no idea what they are talking about.  

77. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 10:06 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on May 31, 2012, 07:28:
Dude, just search this board for "doom" and look back to 2004 - people hated it just as much then, so stop with this "the cool thing to do is to hate it." That's almost as bad as "all the kiddies hate it" or "people like stuff dumbed down so they hate Doom 3."

It's a bad game. The people you talked to at the time liked a bad game. That happens sometimes.

Yay for treating opinions like objective facts!

All I can say is my personal experience. The forums I belonged to at the time were filled with people loving the game and sharing their experiences in it. At the time everything was mostly positive, and more recently it seems like everything is mostly negative. There was definitely a switch there in my experience, but yours may differ.

I don't really consider blues at the time as evidence of anything, since blues is the most negative forum on the internet other than maybe RPG codex.

News Comments > Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights
19. Re: Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights May 31, 2012, 06:21 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on May 31, 2012, 00:34:
Also, I still haven't played many games without texture pop-in (or, actually, any FPS that I can think of), nor does it matter much to me as it only happens within the first 15 seconds of a level loading. I see it as an issue, but not a big one. Would people prefer it loads levels 15 seconds longer? Or do you guys get it when you turn, like in Rage when it first launched? I've never seen texture caching issues in UE3 after the first few seconds of a level. Or, really, in anything but Rage.

Yeah, I have seen very little texture pop-in on PC. Borderlands when you first load an area after fast-travel maybe, but that's it.

However on consoles the pop-in is RAMPANT. I have played Xbox games on a friend's machine and Mass Effect, BioShock, Borderlands and many others all have terrible texture load-in lag. I remember in Bioshock when he sacrificed a little sister the leech thing was always just a big brown blur because the texture too longer to load in than the animation of killing her and the leech.

News Comments > CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced
28. Re: CD Project RED's Cyberpunk RPG Announced May 31, 2012, 06:17 StingingVelvet

CDPR making a cyberpunk RPG is like someone crawled into my mind and decided to make my dream game. I am SO excited for this... this and Dishonored are like perfect representations of why I love games from a design point.

Also glad there is two teams now and Witcher 3 is likely still coming as well.

72. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 31, 2012, 06:14 StingingVelvet

I loved Doom 3 like pretty much everyone I talked to did at the time. The cool thing is to hate it now, but nah, I still like it. A lot of the shit people bitch about with it was faithful to the original, which it was a remake of.

Anyway this seems more like a console-focused release, but if they really improve the graphics or the added chapter is significant in length I'll purchase anyway. Love me some Doom.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
21. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 30, 2012, 06:19 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on May 29, 2012, 23:14:
Everyone needs to be reminded that prior to the complete edition none of the Dragon Age Origins DLC was obtainable through Steam yet it remained on Steam throughout; given that their stated reason for pulling some of their games off of Steam is demonstrably false, I think it's safe to say EA is, as usual, full of shit.

Valve changed their terms of service around the time they let free-to-play games on Steam. Not that hard a concept to grasp, though I guess feel free to blame EA for everything that ever went wrong and kiss Valve and Blizzard ass.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Patch Today
4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Patch Today May 29, 2012, 13:03 StingingVelvet

21 days until I can play this game... OMG OMG OMG.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
9. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 13:02 StingingVelvet

Looks awesome, loving this string of old-school RPGs on new engines.  

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed May 29, 2012, 06:31 StingingVelvet

Game preservation is the main reason I dislike DRM and games as a service. I play a LOT of old games, currently I am playing Curse of Monkey Island and Secret of Evermore. If those games required publisher approval to play, who knows if they would work today. If they required active servers I know they wouldn't.

I see games as art and thus I think they should be preserved and available as a part of culture. MMOs and now Diablo 3 are and antithesis of this, they view games as a temporary service that can die and no one cares.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: ahuh? May 28, 2012, 11:55 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 28, 2012, 09:23:
So yes, new console hardware will help alleviate the current situation but no, the high end hardware market is far from insignificant as there is much more than raw unit sales to consider. Most high end hardware stays that way a year at most before moving into the larger market at better prices anyway.

I'm not pooping on PC, I am a PC only gamer after all. By high-end hardware I mean the brand new 680s he mentioned, which less than 1% probably own. That's niche. And consoles lead technology due to sales, so by new consoles I also meant new PC benchmarks.

Anyway I don't think we really disagree so no real need for debate.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: ahuh? May 27, 2012, 14:46 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on May 27, 2012, 06:56:
Even extremely affordable mid-range graphics cards have the ability to render incredible images. Batman Arkham City looks fantastic on my 560ti, and it costs a about a quarter of a Geforce 690 card. You don't have to be the owner of a high end card to still be all about the eye candy.

Sure, but his argument was that because the 690 exists people obviously care about high-end graphics. Yet selling even 10,000 of those in a market that sells 100 million Wiis is a pathetic number.

In any case, I do agree graphics matter. New consoles will energize the market again with greater visuals and larger areas. I just don't think the high-end PC market matters much in the grand scheme of, well, anything. It's a niche within a niche.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: ahuh? May 27, 2012, 04:55 StingingVelvet

Shataan wrote on May 26, 2012, 17:41:
Try convincing all the peeps who are buying new 680 GTXs, or the new 690s. We don`t upgrade to play games with crap visuals.

Insanely small number of people, your argument means nothing.

Some people do like shiny graphics, and the consoles really need an upgrade to get that portion of the market excited again, but the uber-graphics PC market is incredibly small.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed
26. Re: Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed May 25, 2012, 16:39 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2012, 04:42:
Your argument is made laughable when you insert your opinion as fact. For people who like that style of game, which is a ton of people, Modern Warfare is of tremendously high quality. Similar games like Medal of Honor or Breach are much worse, and sell much worse.

Medal of Honor was much worse? Really? I heard it was pretty much the same as CoD, which was its biggest problem. But if you actually enjoy pseudo-realistic military shooters with completely linear and scripted single-player campaigns, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy MoH. Hell, if MoH was called Call of Duty: Modern Honor, it would have sold about as much as any other CoD game. Not that it sold badly or anything. 5 million units is hardly a poor showing.

Let's not fool ourselves here. CoD sells because it has CoD in the title. Just like Diablo 3 sold because it was called Diablo 3. There are better games in each of those genres but quality isn't what sells games. Hype and marketing is what sells games. If quality sold games, then every good game ever made would sell well but as history can attest to, that's not the case.

I played MoH. It had nowhere near the polish, spectacle or adrenaline rush that CoD has. The multiplayer was largely panned by people I know who play and enjoy CoD multiplayer. Don't assume because you lump these games into "har har idiots" categories that they are all the same level of quality.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
96. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 25, 2012, 16:36 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 24, 2012, 11:12:
I must have missed that news release, when was DA2 considered profitable? Or is that just an assumption because it had a shorter dev cycle? Also I think it remains to be seen just how strong the Mass Effect franchise is. Mass Effect 3 sold really well but it was the end to the trilogy and the ending was almost universally panned by both critics and fans alike.

Employee comments on DA2. The game sold less than Origins but had like 1/5th the budget and made a decent profit. The DLC sold poorly though, indicating poor reaction to the main game, which along with forum reaction is why they are in damage control mode.

I know you disagree but personally I think 90% of DA2's problems were from being rushed. Simplistic battle design, spawns from nowhere, repeated content, one city, etc... all of that can be rooted in the rush. If they have real time to develop the next one I won't have a problem being optimistic about it.

I think Bioware as a traditional RPG studio is definitely done like dinner.

Depends what traditional RPG studio means. Are they done making high profile games and being a big studio for EA? Nowhere close. Are you saying they're going to make more action RPGs like Mass Effect and less CRPG love letters like Origins? Of course, but that's market mandated.

92. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 24, 2012, 10:48 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on May 24, 2012, 10:04:
In other words... EA has already started putting this game into "slum-lord mode". We saw how well that worked for Warhammer. If that $300 milllion investment number is true (not to mention what it's cost to launch and manage the game for the last 5 months) , EA seems to be cutting their losses early, on a game that underperformed BADLY (compared to investment). Meaning, they probably don't have faith that it can be turned around either, and they are seeking the easiest path to get most of their money back. (by cutting Staff and milking what they got until it's dead - just like Warhammer).

I don't really know enough about the TOR numbers and MMO history to argue that aspect. It makes sense to me that you cut people once the game launches and have a smaller maintenance team, but you could be right in saying the opposite. In any case, the Bioware studio in Texas was built for TOR and is not really going to be considered a failing of the brand if the game tanks. That's my main point.

As for DA2, Bioware employees have been surprisingly blunt on their forums about having a mandate to shit out a sequel in record time to capitalize on the release of the original. I think if EA ordered that they have to be understanding of the result and pleased it was still profitable. Honestly many people here would scream the opposite but for a quick cash-grab with a more console focused design I still thought the game was very enjoyable and look forward to the real Dragon Age sequel we will probably get in a couple years.

With Mass Effect stronger than ever despite the ending complaints I just don't see the studio as in jeopardy. Maybe the MMO part, but not the rest. I guess your point is that if DA3 fails and maybe something else THEN they would be on the bubble, and I suppose that makes sense, but I don't see those future failures as anywhere near probable. DA2 was a special case and I don't think EA will repeat that mistake.

90. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 24, 2012, 05:09 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on May 23, 2012, 09:38:
How many more failures Bioware has left before they get the same treatment, I don't know... but I can't imagine they have wiggle room for too many more.

I'll repeat: what are these multiple failures? DA2 was mediocre and profitable, not a failure. TOR is pretty much a completely different studio and it will make a profit, no one can really say otherwise with its initial sales and still over 1,000,000 subs. It has years and years left on it to turn a profit.

You could say those two games underperformed, but that's a far cry from failure, and EA knows the TOR group is 99% a different studio entirely and the DA2 team was told to shit out a quick profit.

Bioware is fine. Hell, they're expanding the name to more products like Command and Conquer. They are not on a bubble at all, in any way.

News Comments > Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed
24. Re: Take-Two Financials - XCOM Shooter Delayed May 24, 2012, 04:58 StingingVelvet

InBlack wrote on May 23, 2012, 09:57:
Ok, let me take a crack at your post here. Bullshit. See I know that word too.

Case in point? Every single Modern Warfare game since the first one. A game doesnt have to be good to sell well, it needs to be average at worst and have an expensive marketing campaign.

I dont see bad word of mouth slowing down Diablo3's sales even though its the weakest game in the series (story and atmosphere wise) and the horrific launch problems (which still continue), despite Blizzard giving refunds (amazing right?) and despite the delayed features (pvp, real money auctionhouse).

Sorry to burst your bubble bro, but quality is a dying charateristic in this industry, its sad but its true.

Your argument is made laughable when you insert your opinion as fact. For people who like that style of game, which is a ton of people, Modern Warfare is of tremendously high quality. Similar games like Medal of Honor or Breach are much worse, and sell much worse.

Anyway, go on thinking what you want to think. All games that don't stick to their predecessors' style are doomed to failure, despite tons of evidence to the contrary.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo