Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers
12. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 13:49 StingingVelvet

Tumbler wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 12:24:
Hey guys, Star Wars is so awesome we can just take other games and slap star wars skins on them and people will love it! We made an MMO, people loved it! We made a God of War game, people loved it! Now lets make an uncharted game and call it star wars! People will love it because it's star wars! Everyone Loves Star Wars!

Pretty accurate. They're far from the only publisher doing that though... in fact, I would say they all are, and so does every movie studio to a certain degree.

In the end if it plays well and looks good I like these kinds of games, so whatevs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed
14. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 13:45 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 12:36:
If Conviction wasn't an SC game, I probably would have been more forgiving. However, if you're going to attach yourself to a certain brand, you need to meet the expectations that brand has established. Conviction failed to do this.

That's a common sentiment, but I've just never really cared what was written on the box when it comes to enjoying gameplay or not. I can be disappointed it's not another Chaos Theory, but once I start playing the game all that matters is how good that game is on its own.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Website; Trailer
5. Re: Dead Space 3 Website; Trailer Jun 5, 2012, 13:43 StingingVelvet

Vitalious wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 08:32:
You don't have the bandwidth to buffer a 240p video? Just wait 10 minutes to download it...

I'm volunteering overseas, I get like 4k a second downloading and have 1GB total a month.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 in February 2013
11. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 5, 2012, 13:41 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:22:
Changing the game to be entirely action oriented also affects how you perceive the atmosphere. It's hard to appreciate a horrible situation if your adrenaline is always kicked up to 10 which is why the moments of quiet were so important in the previous games.

I agree, but I haven't read anything that makes this sound like the case yet. Seems so far like they are making it easier to shoot but not necessarily changing the pace and atmosphere. There were a ton of times in DS2 where it was batshit crazy fast too, they were just balanced with more immersive sections.

I can't watch the videos though, maybe they would scare me off.

News Comments > WatchDogs Announced
28. Re: WatchDogs Announced Jun 5, 2012, 13:38 StingingVelvet

My kind of visual style and also my kind of game. I'm getting a bit excited. Eurogamer said it was confirmed for Xbox 360, PC and PS3, so given the new console timeline this has to come out with a year right?

Hope to hear more soon.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 in February 2013
9. Re: Dead Space 3 in February 2013 Jun 5, 2012, 06:17 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 00:13:
I'm pretty sure the actual game will be even more of a shooter than the previous ones. They've added a cover system and enemies that use guns. Also, ammo is universal now and more plentiful, which suggests that there will be a lot more shooting. The E3 demo walkthrough was almost entirely shooting.

Honestly I loved Dead Space and DS2 for their atmosphere, not for the ammo management and other survival elements. I am sure to some these changes are a disappointment, but I don't really care.

News Comments > Painkiller Hell & Damnation Announced
6. Re: Painkiller Hell & Damnation Announced Jun 5, 2012, 06:15 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 02:49:
These are the guys that made Necrovision. Not the best record but at least they didn't make those terrible Painkiller expansions.

Necrovision with more time and polish could have been great. Reason to be at least curious.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Website; Trailer
1. Re: Dead Space 3 Website; Trailer Jun 5, 2012, 06:15 StingingVelvet

Don't have the bandwidth to watch this, sadly. I assume it looks amazing though, as 2 did. I worry about the coop focus though, for sure.  

10. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 06:13 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 22:37:
Splinter Cell: Conviction was awful.

I wouldn't say awful at all. A step down from Chaos Theory certainly, and barely a stealth game, but as a "hunter" action-stealth experience I quite enjoyed it.

PC port was blah though. Still, better than playing on console.

9. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 StingingVelvet

One of my favorite series, but mostly for the 1st and 3rd games. The last couple were meh and I'm not sure I can rely on them to improve things. We shall see.  

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Details
43. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 4, 2012, 06:06 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 19:47:
TFU being "good" is a bit of a stretch. It was mediocre at best. The PC port was downright awful. TFU2 was awful as well.

Hey look! Opinions!

The side-missions were literally the exact same thing over and over. "Go destroy this truck caravan" or "go kill this dude." There are only so many ways you can go about completing the exact same missions over and over. The stealth mechanics are pretty half-assed and there's no diplomacy route, so your choices basically boil down to what weapons you use. Not exactly a lot of interesting choice there.

And everything in Crysis was "get to X" or "destroy x." The key to having fun in both games was to vary weapons, tactics and approaches to change things up. This is no less possible in FC2. My favorite moments in that game were when I played the sniper and cleared an area before I even went near it, yet I also ran in guns blazing sometimes, or used vehicles, or set traps, or threw grenades, or whatever. All of stuff we have done for 20 years now, sure, but if that turns you off you might want to change hobbies.

I'm not really trying to defend FC2 (or TFU for that matter) but both are good games with flaws. I tend to like good games despite a couple flaws, unlike you and many others here who seem to write a game off for any annoyance.

41. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 3, 2012, 04:51 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 01:27:
LucasArts hasn't released a good game in years and Star Wars has been thoroughly milked. I think those are pretty decent reasons to be negative.

Saying they haven't released a good game in years isn't really saying much when they have barely released any at all, and have aimed at a much different market than this game will.

TFU1 was good... before that there are literally dozens of amazing LA games... this is likely a very different team... there is no reason to assume the worst, other than being a downer.

Far Cry 2 had some cool ideas but the execution was pretty terrible. There were also a lot of design choices that were just outright retarded. Who thought it was a good idea to instantly respawn enemies as soon as you leave an area? Who thought it was a good idea to force the player to regularly take malaria pills? Who thought it was a good idea to have extremely generic side-missions where you literally do the exact same thing over and over? Having potential alone doesn't make for a great game. You actually have to deliver on that potential.

It was a flawed game, but not as bad as you make it sound, and it reviewed well. I disliked the constant enemies due to respawning, but the malaria mechanic was cool IMO, made those pill-hunting missions feel desperate. Also to say every mission was the same is to reveal you didn't change tactics, similar to people who say Crysis was boring. You have to make your own fun in any open world game, to some extent.

39. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 2, 2012, 11:19 StingingVelvet

noman wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 21:09:
Clint Hocking, the lead designer of Far Cry 2, joined LucasArts last year and has been working on an unannounced title. I hope Star Wars 1313 turns out to be that project. Could be a very good game.

That's a reason to be more interested... flawed as Far Cry 2 was, it was still a great game at heart.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 Jun 2, 2012, 03:17 StingingVelvet

Eager to play this but I just don't see it as a $60 title, especially with me being behind on new games by 6 months due to a job. I'll look for it in a few months for around $30.  

26. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 16:14 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 14:32:
I really liked The Force Unleashed for what it was (played it on the consoles) but I can see why people are skeptical since good SW games are pretty rare these days.

There is definitely reason to be skeptical, I just don't think there is a reason already to be resoundingly negative.

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
88. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 14:28 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 11:39:
Doom 3 is the third iteration and nowhere in the preview material back then did I hear them mention wanting to get back to the root of early Doom 1 gameplay.

Well, it IS a remake of the original game, not two. I have certainly seen them mention it was made in the original shareware Doom release model, but perhaps that was after the fact. Doom 4 is supposed to be like Doom 2, FYI.

Incidentally Rage suffers from similar problems. It apes many modern features and takes inspiration from other games but never really goes anywhere with them. Everything is rudimentary or implemented in a "safe" way so that they don't stray too far from their roots. I think its an id problem in general, they've never been able to decide if they're going to fully embrace newer gameplay design/mechanics or not.

I agree with this, mostly. I also thought Rage was a disappointment and quit it halfway through. I think you nailed it in regards to them being scared to change much but throwing in token innovations that don't really pan out like the flashlight or racing.

23. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 14:20 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:20:
Are they really skeptical for the sake of being so though? There seems to be plenty of precedent in having low expectations. There's what, a handful or so of decent Star Wars games? Not many of them recent entries either. Put that against dozens of bad ones and LucasArts being really inconsistent in how it treats devs over the years.

Being extremely skeptical and negative based on this little info is annoying, I don't care what the history was. LA has made plenty of good games and who knows when they will again, this might be it, or it might not. There have been good Star Wars games as recently as The Force Unleashed, which while not OMG FUCKING AMAZING was a good hack n' slash game set in the right tone of Star Wars. If you don't like that genre then okay, but that has nothing to do with quality.

In any case, all I want is to hear more before I get skeptical or excited.

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
86. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced Jun 1, 2012, 10:41 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 31, 2012, 12:50:
It is a different game though, it's more of a slow paced plodder with artificial gimmicks to induce tension. The flashlight implementation was an incredibly lazy design choice, I'm surprised to hear anyone defend it. The real problem with Doom 3 was that it should have been a more linear experience without things like monster closets, you can see they wanted to make something almost akin to Dead Space. They straddled the line with trying to accommodate fans and the traditional genre though. So they ended up with something in between that was disappointing to many.

I think you and many others compare it to Doom 2 or the late levels of the original rather than the entire first game. Doom was slower, it had a lot of monster closets, plodding pace, light used to scare you or make you fumble about. I have played episode 1 of Doom like 30 times and I consider Doom 3's early portions a very representative remake of it. The later levels pick up speed quite a lot and closely match the later sections of Doom, though not quite a hectic perhaps due to engine limitations more than anything I bet.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Confirmed
1. Re: Dead Space 3 Confirmed Jun 1, 2012, 10:36 StingingVelvet

Dead Space was a flawed classic. Dead Space 2 was magnificent. I am worried coop will take away from the singleplayer here, but I have faith enough in this team to pick this game up on day one.  

5. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 10:34 StingingVelvet

Oh look, negativity based on hardly anything. What a shocker.

I hope this is confirmed for PC. I love the idea of a darker bounty hunter game. Star Wars can be awesome when it's done right.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo