Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Details
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Details Jun 9, 2012, 08:56 StingingVelvet

1AngryGamer wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 23:05:
10-20 hours

So one day...

wow great

Christ, STFU. That's longer than most full games and is for the campaign only. Ugh.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 9, 2012, 08:54 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:31:
Probably because they are still hoping to sell them after the next gen console is out. Just like past console gen changeovers, where they continue to sell the old gen for a while.

I doubt its because they think it will be 2 years before next gen comes out.

Well, it has 1.5 years left before the next one comes out, and yes I am sure they expect at least a year or two after that of continued sales.

News Comments > Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage
60. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 08:45 StingingVelvet

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:24:
Hate to rain on your parade, but Bethesda calls the shots since they bought id software.

Zenimax, to be fair, which is not the Bethesda most people associate with that title (though their publishing arm does also use the Bethesda name).

News Comments > Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage
59. Re: Bethesda Still Wants RAGE to be All the Rage Jun 9, 2012, 08:35 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 12:01:
I cringe every time I see comments about Rage saying it has a "great engine" and "looks gorgeous". It was designed for consoles, and is so completely outdated on PC that even the original Unreal engine is superior.

I'm guessing it actually looks good for an Xbox game because a lot of reviews said it had amazing graphics. Brad Shoemaker, who I normally like, went on and on about the graphics in his Xbox version review.

As for the game, it was really tired and felt like it was built by committee. I enjoyed it for a while but got tired of it's monotony. I wouldn't call it a disaster as some have, play a City Interactive FPS and then call Rage a disaster, but it was very disappointing.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
49. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 9, 2012, 08:07 StingingVelvet

Sell the Crysis IP then please, because it is only worth a damn for singleplayer.  

News Comments > WatchDogs Next Year
11. Re: WatchDogs Next Year Jun 9, 2012, 08:05 StingingVelvet

I'm guessing a launch game for next-gen consoles as well as a current-gen version, kind of like Gun and King Kong at the launch of the 360. Hopefully the PC version is built off the Xbox 3 version... King Kong on PC was a port of the PS2 version so more computers could run it.  

News Comments > Two Guys From Andromeda AMA
5. Re: Two Guys From Andromeda AMA Jun 7, 2012, 12:36 StingingVelvet

The funding of Jensen's thing and this compared to the funding for Schafer's project really shows which classic adventure games have held up in peoples' minds.

I'm sure timing, media coverage and other things are a factor as well of course, but I am not seeing the raw desire for more Space Quest and Jensen games that we saw with wanting more in the vein of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

News Comments > Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed
20. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 7, 2012, 10:23 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 08:39:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 04:04:
The common sense difference there is Coke is always the same fucking thing, every time you have it.

Except when it isn't, and everyone (rightly) throws a shit fit.

Kind of the point of that analogy I assume and you walked right into it.

Yes, there it was a big deal because a food product should be the same the fucking thing every time. Games are not built like that, at all, ever. Kind of the point of why the analogy is terrible and you walked right into it.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
39. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 10:22 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 08:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 03:50:
Because there are a lot of RPG fans like me who only game on PC, and could not play this game otherwise. I know people on here will rip this game a new asshole for basically being an emulated console game, but I would rather play the game than not.

Having actually played both games on the consoles, I think they're wonderful but not so good that you'd want a shitty port of them just for the sake of being able to play them. All of the port stuff sounds ominous, I'd caution people to wait until other users or a PC centric site like RPS reports in about the port quality.

Oh yeah, certainly not a day one buy with talk like this.

And there are levels. Something like Darksiders that has only a resolution option and really needs to be played with a controller is one thing, but no options, not real mouse support and FPS issues? That is really a new low for ports.

We shall see, but no matter what happens I am just saying I am happy I have the option to play the game in some form.

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter
16. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 10:16 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 04:02:
It's X-COM + Fallout + zombies. Sounds good to me.

Well everyone is different, I don't really like strategy games other than Civ.

18. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 7, 2012, 04:04 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 03:59:
As for my analogy, I'm not really sure what you find wacky about it. Makes perfect sense, really. Expectations are determined by labels. That's why labels are important. We rely on labels to make life easier. If I recognize a label, I expect it to be accurate. If I buy a Coke, it should taste like a Coke, not a Pepsi or Dr. Pepper. Likewise, if I buy a Splinter Cell game, it should play like a stealth game, as established by all the other games that carry that label.

You may not care about labels and that's fine but you should at least understand why others consider them important.

The common sense difference there is Coke is always the same fucking thing, every time you have it. Games inherently change over time and with each release, even if they are built to be extremely similar to previous games in that series.

What you call logical reliance on a label and not obsessing over game coverage I call being an uneducated consumer. Why the fuck would anyone drop $60 on any media product without knowing more than the title of it? Insanity.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Jun 7, 2012, 03:59 StingingVelvet

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 11:47:
Sure you can. I can rant all day long about how offensive I personally find the female armor models in TERA. That doesn't mean I think they should be legally required to change or censor them, and if someone suggested it, I would argue just as long about how wrong that is. Doesn't mean I'd play the game, though.

I didn't see anyone saying these games should be censored or that the devs' right to free speech should be violated. But unless you're the government, asking someone to tone it down isn't censorship; it's consumer opinion.

Seems like a lot of these titles are Ubisoft's. I don't play or follow their titles any more due to their DRM policies, and it makes me curious to know if they're trying to drum up sales with some good ol' fashioned titillation.

If violent games really made people twitchy and angry that would certainly be cause for further regulation. Bikini armor in an MMO is just tacky, not socially dangerous.

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter
8. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Jun 7, 2012, 03:55 StingingVelvet

To be honest this game is sounding less like something I really want. At first I thought it was a post-zombie apocalypse RPG in the vein on Fallout or Arcanum. It's really shaping up to be a lot different from that though, with all the shelter aspects, management stuff... I dunno.

I will still buy it, but less enthused.

29. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 03:50 StingingVelvet

D_K_night wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 02:48:
If you know you cannot do the port with all your heart and soul into it, and know honestly that it's an amazing port, why do it at all?

Are you even going to make your money back with the port? If the answer is probably no...why even do it?

Because there are a lot of RPG fans like me who only game on PC, and could not play this game otherwise. I know people on here will rip this game a new asshole for basically being an emulated console game, but I would rather play the game than not.

28. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 03:48 StingingVelvet

killer_roach wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 03:03:
RE4 and Onimusha 3 were disastrous ports to PC, but they've gotten better recently. They've been one of the better Japanese developers in terms of developing for the PC, but until recently it was pretty slapdash work.

They didn't port your examples, it was contracted out. They started porting their own stuff with Lost Planet and all their ports have been exceptional.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2012, 10:41 StingingVelvet

Also that John Walker editorial is incredibly whiny. I agree with some of his annoyances, but in the end these are mainstream conferences meant to get news headlines (and not just for games). Have some perspective.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2012, 10:39 StingingVelvet

ViRGE wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 10:23:
A pair of really good articles from RPS today, particularly the one on violence. Why the heck is everything a realistic ultraviolent manshooter this year? Not to bemoan violence as evil, but it's like eating ice cream for dinner every night; it lacks variety.

There's plenty of stuff that isn't that, it just seems like it's all violent. Reminds me of how everyone was saying 90% of games were shooters for a while there and then some site did the numbers and discovered shooters were like the 4th most plentiful genre. I should look for that article.

Anyway, as the article itself says you can't have it both ways, you can't say GAMES ARE FREE SPEECH AND SHOULD NEVER CENSORED and then also write an article about how game violence makes you feel twitchy or angry or whatever. A lot of sites seem to play both angles.

In the end people like violence in movies and games because it's an outlet for frustration with the world. It's fine. As a culture we are tremendously less violent than we were before media came around.

News Comments > Sacrilegium Announced
2. Re: Sacrilegium Announced Jun 6, 2012, 10:35 StingingVelvet

Two Worlds 2 was actually really good I thought. Looking forward to this... the screens are great.  

16. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 6, 2012, 05:29 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 04:59:
I feel it's fairly important to hold publishers and/or developers accountable for their marketing decisions. Labels are important, as they determine expectations and are thus used to judge a product's success in meeting those expectations. If I order a steak at a restaurant, I expect to get a steak, not a salad. The salad might be pretty tasty but it's not what I ordered. I don't care if the restaurant wanted to try something different or appeal to a larger demographic. I ordered a steak. Same thing applies to videogames. If I buy a Splinter Cell, I'm expecting a stealth game because that's what all the previous games have been. That's why I enjoyed the previous games and that's why the brand has any meaning to me. If you give me a shooter instead, I'm not going to be happy because that's not what I wanted, even if it ends up being a perfectly competent shooter.

That's one of your wackier analogies and I'm going to ignore it, no offense. No real comparison there.

I will say if you ignored all previews and videos and bought the game anyway expecting Chaos Theory again then yeah, you might be pissy, but that was your fault for buying something with no research wasn't it? I mean you already know this game is not really stealth from watching the early media... that didn't take much effort on your part to figure out.

I like good games. What is written on the box is pretty much completely irrelevant to me. I watch gameplay videos on youtube or giantbomb, read a preview or review from a journalist I trust and usually agree with, and then I purchase. I don't really give a shit what the game is called or what a game 10 years ago was like.

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers
30. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 6, 2012, 05:23 StingingVelvet

InBlack wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 03:47:
Dark Forces: Jedi Knight was such a brilliant game, though the gunplay and lightsaber play was much improved in the sequels, the first one was the best IMO. The level design, atomsphere, music, story everything felt right and really immersed you in the world.

No one makes shooters like that anymore.

Hell even the first Dark Forces (in the Doom engine no less) would put 95% of todays shooters to shame.

I agree on atmosphere, but very few people enjoy not knowing where the fuck to go now-a-days. Even I, who played and loved those games at the time, find myself frustrated with the maze aspects of older shooters sometimes, especially really old ones like Wolfenstein.

I agree on atmosphere, Jedi Knight is still amazingly atmospheric for a game that looks so ancient. I think a lot of that is pacing... modern games just throw shit at you constantly and take over control whenever there is no action. This is not atmospheric... they shoot for cinematic rather than immersive.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo