Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
42. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 14:24 StingingVelvet

Lokust wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:46:
@Axis

That's a pretty dumb generalization. Broken Steel for Fallout 3 was at least a full expansion worth of content for much less of what expansions generally would cost.

Point Lookout was the impressive one to me, it basically was an expansion for $10. Some DLC is awesome, some is a rip-off, the same as games themselves.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:14 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:09:
I wouldn't do it, if I was you. The DLC is available, just get it. It SHOULD have been there to begin with. Don't ruin it for yourself, just watch the Extended cut, and then watch the original ending afterwards on Youtube.

I guess I could do that. From what I understand the core ending is unchanged anyway, right?

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues
1. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 StingingVelvet

Yet another game I am happy to wait a few months for so it's fixed and cheaper. I was the most die-hard day-one game purchaser in the world for years but these companies have finally taught me to wait and give them less.  

8. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 10:30 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:23:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:10:
A gift to the fans? Bioware devs just get more and more pretentious and douchy as time goes on it seems.

I know, right? A gift? Are they fucking kidding me?

It's kind of a gift by definition because it was free, right?

7. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 10:29 StingingVelvet

avianflu wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:23:
It will be interesting to see if that Casey guy gets another chance to head on a major game release after all of the kerfuffle.

You really think three highly successful games are ruined for his resume because of the ending complaints on forums?

6. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 StingingVelvet

Finally started playing this, about 7 hours in right now. Will be very interested in seeing the original ending that pissed everyone off, so I haven't downloaded the DLC. People seem to think said ending ruins 3 amazing games worth of content and by itself is an example of Bioware's plummeting stock, so... will be interesting.  

News Comments > Dishonored "12 or 14" Hours
7. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 10:43 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:31:
But most of the time estimated playthrough times are hugely exaggerated.

For you, because of how you play. For me they are generally on the low side. There is no right or wrong here, only personal experience.

That means I expect it will take about 10hrs to complete, which is disappointing considering that Deus Ex: Human Revolution was 25hrs for me.

Took me 47 hours to complete Deus Ex HR for the first time, just to compare.

Obviously anyone can stretch out a game but I generally find there is no enjoyment in doing that. I completed RAGE is about 12hrs and everybody immediately stated I must be wrong and that I must have rushed through the game - the reality is that I have no interest in exploring random nooks and crannies if there's no reward in doing so.

I don't view it as stretching it out, it's just how I play games naturally. I don't really see it as examining nooks and crannies either, I just tend to look around a lot and also move slower through the environment.

6. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 10:40 StingingVelvet

Yakubs wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:25:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:01:
I fall under the twice as long category for sure. I always take longer than estimates, which is why I roll my eyes when people act like estimates are inflated...

Just because some minority of players are REALLY slow at finishing games doesn't mean these estimates aren't inflated. Your logic is bizarre.

How is my logic bizarre when it's all based, for you and me both, on personal experience? I ALWAYS take longer than the estimate, even for supposedly 5 hour singleplayer shooters. You feel like you always take much less. Which of us is "right?" Neither, because it is completely subjective. Unless you have some kind of global stat numbers that show otherwise.

I said I roll my eyes because in my experience those estimates are low. Nothing I said there has the ability to be "wrong" or "bizarre."

News Comments > Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"
1. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 10:37 StingingVelvet

The only reason I ever bought a game on Origin other than EA titles is because it is "less sticky" than Steam, i.e. I could ignore Origin and backup the game files. If it becomes more "sticky" like Steam then I will find less and less reason to use it when not forced to.

I guess amazon and gamersgate are the services aiming for "less sticky" though, and they will continue to be my favorites.

1. Re: Dishonored "12 or 14" Hours Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 StingingVelvet

I fall under the twice as long category for sure. I always take longer than estimates, which is why I roll my eyes when people act like estimates are inflated...  

News Comments > Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer
3. Re: Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer Jun 16, 2012, 12:27 StingingVelvet

Definitely looking different but it can still be good. Gonna have faith in this dev team for now.  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
43. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 16, 2012, 12:25 StingingVelvet

PHJF wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 23:23:
Waiting for $30-40 on this.

Same.

Clicking buy on a $60 download for a 10 hour singleplayer game is just a bit insane, considering how quickly prices drop. I got LA Noire for $12 last November.

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
29. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play" Jun 15, 2012, 01:20 StingingVelvet

Bought the game 'cause I was an idiot and wanted the story (which was just okay). Will probably never play it again if I have to subscribe, but I would if it were "free."  

News Comments > Rune Classic on Steam
6. Re: Rune Classic on Steam Jun 15, 2012, 01:16 StingingVelvet

Pretty much everything made for Win98 or higher works perfectly on Win7, in my experience. It's the Win95 games that can screw you up.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers
30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 12:11 StingingVelvet

Sempai wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 04:12:
Yeah, it really is too bad a game like Swtor was your first experience.

I bet a lot of MMO haters and singleplayer gamers bought TOR for the story and Bioware name, like me. I don't think any MMO improvements would have made me like it though, I hated what it was at the core.

News Comments > Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer
4. Re: Civilization V: Gods & Kings Trailer Jun 13, 2012, 12:02 StingingVelvet

Played this a lot at release and it drove me nuts that the AI never attacked across water. Take over your continent and then ignore everyone was a workable strategy every time. Maybe they patched that, I dunno.

I liked the game otherwise though, simplified to some degree in certain areas but combat (when they fucking attacked you) was more strategic and more fun.

News Comments > Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas
43. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 08:56 StingingVelvet

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 07:34:
ochentay4 wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 06:44:
Sorry I was that hard. But some comments are really really stupid. If I'm a politically correct asshole for correcting someone who thinks that US Residents are the only AMERICANS in the fucking continent, then ok.

This is not meant as a provocation of any kind, I don't know the answer to this question: Are there residents of any country other than the US that actually refer to themselves as "Americans"? I assume people in Canada think of themselves as Canadians, in Mexico as Mexicans, in Columbia as Columbians, in Brazil as Brazilians, etc, etc..

And if it is "improper" in some way for residents of the US to call themselves "Americans" what should we call ourselves?

Exactly. Americans comes from the fact United Statsians sounds fucking retarded, and that America is in our country name. Mexico is not Mexico of America on a map.

The pretentious need to point out American could technically apply to over a dozen countries is just another example of people jumping to feel superior.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
82. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 11, 2012, 15:43 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 12:31:
I never said Crysis 2 sucks. I said I haven't bothered trying it yet because Crysis was underwhelming and I have no real interest in Crysis 3. I do have to question your "stupid illusion of freedom" statement. Does that mean that Crysis 2 offers genuine freedom? Or that it offers no freedom at all and doesn't even pretend to? Everything I've seen and read suggests that C2 is a much more linear game than the first one.

Crysis 2 is not more linear because both Crysis and Crysis 2 are very linear games. Crysis 2 has smaller areas, which a lot of people seem to associate with being "more linear," but that is not what that term is really about.

The reason I and many others love Crysis is because it has tactical freedom (different ways to handle different linear goals and objectives). Crysis 2 has that same freedom, just in more confined spaces.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
78. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 15:53:
Who are you kidding?

I expect no one, since I'm not attempting to. Whatever you thought of the quality of Quake 4, it was designed the way it was (instead of a flashier Quake 3) because Quake singleplayer was vastly more popular than its multiplayer according to id themselves. And while multiplayer purists always claim that the singleplayer portions of Unreal Tournament games are nothing more than training for online, the fact of the matter is (again according to the developer themselves) is that the vast majority prefer to play them singleplayer against bots. Why do you think Epic spends so much effort on making quality bots? UT's bots are the best in the business by a country mile, and for me playing against bots that you can tweak to give you a perfect match every time is way more preferrable than dealing with the unpredictability of real people.

Again, I only point this out to illustrate that despite the industry's moving more and more to F2P (which are multiplayer-only devoid of an offline component), many gamers aren't thrilled at the loss of even more singleplayer games that such a move causes. Crysis is predominantly a singleplayer series, and I still want to vomit when I think of Mechwarrior Online, given how incredibly awesome the trailer released a while back looked. That trailer screamed "singleplayer". Planetside and Tribes going F2P is all very well; those were already multiplayer games. It's the games like MW and Crysis that were better at being singleplayer going F2P that I find so damn discouraging.

Indeed.

Many multiplayer-focused games are played in singleplayer only. I remember Demigod, which had no real singleplayer at all, having only 20-something percent of players even try multiplayer ONCE.

Singleplayer-only gamers like me are not some rare breed of shut-in game companies can ignore. Why do you think Call of Duty has a 6 hour big budget campaign every year? Free-to-play is a good model for casual online multiplayer, but it leaves a massive portion of the market behind.

I suspect like LOTRO and TOR though what these companies really want is to combine single and multi into one thing and force it into an online service. I won't go for it, but I bet may do.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
61. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 09:10 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 07:38:
I've played Rage start to finish twice on a high-end PC and xbox...the 360 wins.

I'm pretty sure others would beg to differ. If you have a good system (with an Nvidia card), the latest drivers and the latest patch for RAGE, the PC version looks better than the Xbox version and runs equally well.

Yeah, I have no idea how the hell his comment could be true. The PC version can have higher assets with some tweaks, no pop-in, higher res and AA, mouse aim (or a pad if you wish), etc. etc... no way this is true.

Not really seeing your point. You claimed that next-gen consoles might be as powerful as high-end PC's. I explained why they won't be. If next-gen consoles aren't going to be as powerful as my PC, why would I abandon PC gaming? The PC versions of multiplatform games will still look, run and play better than the console versions.

Resident Evil 4, Saint's Row 2 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent are literally the only games I can think of where the console version is "better." Even with those, you can generally tweak RE4 to be a high-res, high-textured beauty with Xbox pad support, Saint's Row 2 got a fan patch that supposedly fixes all issues and Double Agent was just a glitch-fest, not worse in gameplay or visuals.

There are a lot of PC ports that are just high-res console versions, or which need to be played with a pad, but none of them are worse than playing on console. Actually they're all better, even if only slightly.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo