Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 03:15 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:01:
$20 is way too much for this. If Skyrim cost $60 and offered 200+ hours of gameplay, $20 DLC should offer at least 60 hours of gameplay. Throw in the fact that the bulk of code and assets are recycled from Skyrim and it's an even worse deal. I'll wait until this is $5.

If you are OCD and slow enough to spend 200 hours on one character in Skyrim I would imagine Dawnguard could give you quite a number of hours. The average length I have read just for the main quest is 15-20, and there are tons of side quests, new areas and additional things to do.

Most people seem to be saying OMG $20 without actually knowing how much content is there. Not saying I know for sure, but from what I have read it's closer to Shivering Isles than Knights of the Nine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 2, 2012, 20:40 StingingVelvet

GIMMIE! It downloaded a GB, said it was done, then downloaded another 300MB. Not sure if that's a patch of a screw up. In any case, about to play it.

Reports of how good it is are varied but Bethesda has set the high mark for DLC so far (since Knights of the Nine anyway) so I am trusting them to deliver.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patch/Content
7. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patch/Content Aug 2, 2012, 15:06 StingingVelvet

I wonder if the game sold well on PC meriting this support or if Ubi just has a new supervisor with a PC hard-on. Good to see in any case.

Also lol @ "if it's not a hardcore sim it's a bad game."

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
131. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 15:31 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 13:52:
The internet in general is pretty cynical, you're just missing the forest for the trees. For example when L4D2 was announced there were few cries how wonderful Valve was, it was a pretty negative reception. I don't see many people here loving this announcement up either. I see people bitching about the state of Steam all the time on here and other sites. In general though there just aren't as many negative issues involving Valve as there have been other companies and that's further offset by Valve's many positive contributions. Of course any product/brand has fanboys and haters but those people are not reachable in the first place.

It's a media thing too though, and a reaction thing. Yes RockPaperShotgun has a critical post today on this news but it's a million times softer than the one about EA. Yes people were pissy about Left 4 Dead 2 but most of the gaming media told them to shut up. PC Gamer even had an article on L4D2 where they told people to stop whining.

I dunno, I just see the differences. Maybe I am making them up, but my education and career is all about noticing messages in advertising and public statements.

News Comments > PC Hitman: Sniper Challenge Launches
3. Re: PC Hitman: Sniper Challenge Launches Aug 1, 2012, 13:38 StingingVelvet

J wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 12:36:
To me it's looking, in a way, how Deus Ex HR should have been. The radar in DX:HR ruined the balance in my opinion. It would play so much better if it were optional. When I get Hitman I'll be whacking up the difficulty to max and getting stuck in.

Yeah, Deus Ex HR was a cake-walk even on the hardest difficulty setting, mostly because the radar and the third-person cover system made stealth super, super easy. Wish that game was more moddable, I am sure someone would have removed those things.

121. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 13:34 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 13:14:
What amazes me is that it bugs you so much. There are people who swear up and down by a particular news channel, too. And there are even actual EA fanboys! I know, it seems impossible, but there are genuinely people out there who say that Origin is literally the best thing to have happened to PC gamers, like, EVER.

The large majority of 'people' on the Internet are morons.

I know. I guess it just stands out because game sites are usually so cynical. Of course perhaps that is one reason people latch on to the few companies that seem better than the rest.

Anyway I also maintain it seems disproportionate on Blues because I tend to come here for a certain kind of debate. I outright mock and make light of most of the "OMG STEAM SUCKS" threads on GOG, until this one.

116. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 12:46 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 12:36:
Everyone knows that with EA, it is. All EA cares about is the bottom line. Valve, I'm not so sure. I think they started Steam because they wanted to get out from a publisher's bootheel, but for a long time, everything they've done to Steam has been to solely boost profits. It's really only the last few years that they've begun listening to their customers and have implemented some things that benefit the customers. (Better support, faster patches, more sales, etc.)

I don't have a problem with Valve, I really don't. Just today I got Max Payne 3 as a Steam code because it's so large I don't want to back it up, and Steam is the store I don't use backups with because I trust it to be there and work. I like Valve's games and the service, if there has to be DRM then Steamworks generally is the best kind.

My entire "issue" I guess is with the people who act like Valve can do no wrong, or are special in some way, removed from things like this terms of service shit. They might be more persuasive and more generous than other companies but they are still out to protect themselves and get your money, period.

On Kotaku today I read a comment about this story where someone said "I just... trust Valve more." That's the personification of the idea I dislike... Valve should not be trusted more than any other company out to get your money. Appreciated? Sure. Trusted? No. As today's news should hopefully make clear, they will screw you as soon as they think they can and should, and do it with a snarky smile.

55. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 23:52 StingingVelvet

Wow, way to go Kotaku... http://kotaku.com/5930705/now-valve-is-trying-to-stop-people-suing-them-too  

51. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 23:44 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:40:
Well they do care about more than just profits. They care about their customers' satisfaction and doing so gives them enormous goodwill which translates into higher profits. If only other companies could realize that instead of punishing customers...

You think EA/Ubisoft/Microsoft is just going to release tons of free content for their games? Release EA/Ubisoft/Microsoft Film Maker for free? Allow customers to join in content creation and pay them their percentage?

First off I do think those companies have done similar things, maybe on less of a grand stage due to their business models. Secondly when it's all designed to breed the exact kind of loyalty shown earlier in this thread I don't take it as a favor.

46. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 23:34 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:23:
I can accept that you say your attitude being largely negative towards Valve and Steam on these boards is more of a counterpoint to the largely positive overall view of them here on Blues than it is a general hate-on you have for Valve. But having been here a while like you have you ought to be aware of how quick this crowd will turn on a company when they screw up or "act evil" as you put it. I'm curious as to how, then, you account for the generally positive view this board (which is known for its negativity about, well, everything) has maintained for Valve and Steam. If Valveis truly the equal in word and deed of the likes of EA and Ubisoft, why are they spared (comparitively speaking) the vitriol that those and other companies are bombarded with (and most deservedly so if you ask me) on Bluesnews? I wonder if you doubt that people can actually continue to be a fan of something while still acknowledging its faults and shortcomings.

There can be varying reasons, both legitimate and not. A lot of people are hung up on old EA grievances from closing X studio to Y console support statement. In the end though I honestly think it's mostly rooted in Valve doing amazing, excellent and awe-inspiring PR.

Look at this update. The way they phrase this shit it's like they're doing you a favor. They're fucking brilliant at this stuff.

And again, I am not saying they are worse. Actually in the grand scheme of things I would agree they are likely better than most companies. I just think they are also a greedy corporation that wants profit and that fucks consumers when they accept it and does altruistic things with financial goals in mind, same as any other corporation. It's the "Valve are a good company that cares about more than profit" mindset that drives me bonkers.

26. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 23:08 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 22:52:
That might explain your borderline obsessive number of posts on the company. If you want to call out other people for being a hypocrite that's fine but expect to be called out in return for your transparent posturing. Valve has been pretty consistent about making money in a way that pleases their customers over the years so your valiant crusade to inform the public about their status as a business that is out to make money isn't the eye opener you think.

Blues tends to only be worth posting at for debates, and Valve not being the saints they pretend to be or the media treats them as is something I like debating. Hence why I talk about that here a lot.

If you want to stalk me and look up my post history on the GOG forums, my main "port of call," you would see I typically never mention Steam and defend it as no big deal when I do.

In any event, as I said, continue to classify me as you like to suit your perspective.

22. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 22:42 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 22:33:
That is interesting. Almost as interesting as clicking on your name and searching for Valve which shows a staggering history of one sided opinions about the company. Usually followed by oh but i like Valve, I just hold them to the same standard as the other companies who I never seem to type the same rants about.

Yes, Valve fucked my mom when she was depressed and vulnerable and now I am out for revenge.

The simple fact is you see a lot of negative posts about them specifically because they are the only company that gets praised and loved while doing the same evil shit as other companies that get bashed for it do. Hence me consistently trying to point out they are just another greedy business to be wary of. Hence constantly fighting that hypocrisy so perfectly displayed below.

Continue to ignore it all though and pretend I am a Valve hating nutter (with 320 Steam games) to suit your point of view, though.

16. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 22:24 StingingVelvet

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 22:14:
Hope you recall our discussion about this when Origin (EA) did the same, because I do. Plenty of quotes to go around...

http://tinyurl.com/cusgh37

Quite different language there compared to what he just wrote. This is the Valve Love Hypocrisy Effect at work, rarely seen in such perfect form.

From just 30 seconds of skimming we get classics like:

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 11:54:
EA and Sony are contributing to the legal and moral quagmire with the sole aim of limiting their exposure and protecting their profits. Nobody should support a business trying to bypass the legal system to protect their shareholders. And your assertion that it's to avoid "trivial lawsuits" implies is completely subjective, as who decides what is or is not trivial? The whole point is that the legal system decides that and this is an attempt to short-circuit that process to save money.

1. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Jul 31, 2012, 21:34 StingingVelvet

EA are so evil! I hope they all burn in... oh, wait a second. It's Valve?

This is fine no biggie.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
44. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 19:40 StingingVelvet

Got this game because of silly Bioware love and because of the solo focus. Played an assassin to the cap and quit, it was okay, very padded and boring for long stretches in order to make you play and pay a lot. I would never subscribe to it but for free I might play a light side character through to the cap.  

News Comments > PC Dawnguard Info "This Week"
29. Re: PC Dawnguard Info Jul 31, 2012, 18:52 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 15:43:
Oblivion was a long time ago and comparisons between them aren't very relevant. Both Steam and DD in general have grown massively since then. Given the amount of post-release support and attention the PC version has been seeing (along with their vague praise about PC sales) I'd say the situation could potentially be that different.

Well that's good news then. I still however hold to the follow-up to my posts, which is that even if it's equal you still can't dismiss half the audience.

27. Re: PC Dawnguard Info Jul 31, 2012, 14:10 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:08:
As for wishful thinking, I don't know, this isn't an over the shoulder action game or something. It's a traditional PC franchise with a long standing community and great word of mouth to go along with extensive advertising both online and offline. Given the sheer breadth of the Steam platform these days I don't find it outside of the realm of reason that a PC version could perform up to a console SKU. Heck the recent BF games for example performed very well compared to their console counterparts individually and that was without the benefit of Steam.

Yeah but every time DICE talked about Bad Company 2 and BF3 selling well on PC they also pointed out the Xbox version still sold considerably more. As for TES, Oblivion was said by Bethesda to have sold "many times over" more on Xbox. Could Skyrim be THAT different? I doubt it, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I'm not saying the game didn't sell well on PC, I am saying the primary market is still Xbox and Xbox can't do the crazy shit a lot of the wacky mods do. Even if Xbox was 40% of the market they would still have to respect that and make the game work well on it.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
24. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 12:48 StingingVelvet

necrosis wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:04:
So he would rather have no Steam on Linux than Steam with DRM (which by the way is not Valves doing but the publishers of the games).

Umm, Steam is DRM, made and forced on everything by Valve.

Other than that I agree with the consensus.

25. Re: PC Dawnguard Info Jul 31, 2012, 12:44 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 08:45:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 02:17:
'Cause ten times more isn't a popular way of saying a lot more, of course. That isn't some standard thing you would be a nitpicky person to come after.

No one even knows for sure what it actually sold so I don't think he's being pedantic. He was quoting kind of a ridiculous claim, it's not "nitpicky" to illustrate why.

Bethesda have made it very well known the Xbox version sells a lot more. Maybe Skyrim made more on PC than Oblivion did but the idea that it competes with the Xbox version is, in my mind, extremely wishful thinking.

Even if the PC version sold equally that's still half the market they have to consider that can't handle crazy dragon riding insanity.

21. Re: PC Dawnguard Info Jul 31, 2012, 02:17 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 23:43:
2) Not everyone wants crazy shit in TES. I know a lot of mod-loving people think that is the reason the series is popular, but the fact the mod-absent versions sell 10 times more says otherwise. I like TES for immersive exploration and roleplaying, and flying dragon crazy shit yo is pretty opposite to that.

Ten times more? So if the PC version of Skyrim sold 1 million, that means the PS3 and X360 versions sold 10 million?

'Cause ten times more isn't a popular way of saying a lot more, of course. That isn't some standard thing you would be a nitpicky person to come after.

Nope.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo