Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
44. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 13, 2012, 16:42 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 12:58:
Nah my nostalgia goggles only seem to kick in for things 10+ years old. Oblivion had some very notable quests and so did Fallout 3. Very few Skyrim quests stand out by comparison, there was a greater focus on quantity over quality. The murder mystery at the lighthouse (which quickly turns generic) and the Thieves Guild stuff were the only ones I can even recall as memorable offhand. Just even doing a basic comparison between something like the Mage Guild questlines in the various games is pretty telling.

I just don't remember it that way at all, but short of replaying them right now there's no real way to be sure I suppose.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 13, 2012, 12:37 StingingVelvet

Bethesda have never been good at quest design and the only good writer they had, MK, left after Morrowind. So I think there is some nostalgia goggles being worn in here. The "Fallout 3 had good writing and multiple ways to do a quest" line is especially lulz.

New Vegas had good quest design and writing, but then it lacked Bethesda's talent at world building and rewarding exploration.

Honestly Obsidian and Bethesda need to merge into one super developer!

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 13, 2012, 10:57 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 07:29:
7/10 isn't a good score these days considering most sources seem to use 8-10 as a scale. Many reviews also complain about an alarming amount of bugs and that the quest content it does add is very underwhelming even in the context of the original game. A few even go as far as calling it very overpriced for what little it delivers.

Maybe most games are in the 7-10 range because most games are pretty good, all things considered? I know when I play a real crap game like, say, Rogue Warrior, I am shocked and instantly reminded most big releases are pretty good considering.

Anyway...

It might be a tad overpriced at $20, mainly because the two new land masses are relatively empty, but it's certainly larger than a $10 DLC and adds a lot to the core game outside the new questline. It depends on your priorities I guess, but most big Skyrim fans like myself are going to be thrilled to have it I suspect.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup
1. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 10:47 StingingVelvet

Showed my girlfriend this and she said "white knights are so fucking annoying." Sums the whole thing up well I thought.

Most invented internet drama I have seen in a while.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 13, 2012, 04:11 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 17:54:
Surprised Dawnguard is selling so well, based on the negative reviews I've seen.

All the "negative," if negative can be a 7 or so, reviews of the DLC basically just say it's more Skyrim. Thankfully more Skyrim is exactly what I want out of a Skyrim DLC.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 This Month
37. Re: Diablo III 1.04 This Month Aug 11, 2012, 17:05 StingingVelvet

Yet another multiplayer focused game where the devs eventually admit most people play solo. And yet next time the debate comes up someone will tell me multiplayer matters above all else and I am a minority.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 DLC
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 DLC Aug 10, 2012, 17:42 StingingVelvet

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 03:13:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 21:38:
Steam update for this today broke the damn game, had to reinstall Social Club from elsewhere and even then couldn't sign in. Hopefully it's fixed by now.

Annoying.

Quick fix is to look in the Max Payne folder there is a updated Social Club app, just run it.
Found that on Steam Forums yesterday within 40 seconds of looking around.

I already said that in my post.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 DLC
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 DLC Aug 9, 2012, 21:38 StingingVelvet

Steam update for this today broke the damn game, had to reinstall Social Club from elsewhere and even then couldn't sign in. Hopefully it's fixed by now.

Annoying.

News Comments > Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles
26. Re: Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles Aug 9, 2012, 16:04 StingingVelvet

siapnar wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 14:16:
Joe's DLC seemed cool, but the timelimits put me off. Anyone know if there's a way to disable them?

The 4 or 5 real missions in the Joe DLC are quite good, it's unfortunate they're spread out between crappy timed side-missions with no story.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer
1. Re: BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer Aug 9, 2012, 16:02 StingingVelvet

I wonder what evidence they have that tacked-on shitty multiplayer really prevents used sales. As a singleplayer gamer that multiplayer mode couldn't matter less to me, and I would guess people who like multiplayer would rather play a game with multiplayer that was a focus for the game developers.

I mean, they must think it works, I just wonder what they see that convinces them of that.

23. Re: Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles Aug 9, 2012, 12:11 StingingVelvet

Ray Marden wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 06:14:
I liked Mafia 2, but it did feel like a bit of a letdown compared to the original game. The world felt a bit smaller because of the strict, linear questline - it felt more like playing a game set in the Mafia universe than leading the life of a Mafia character.

The original was a linear game as well though. The only side stuff it had were those car garage missions, and those sucked. Honestly both games are pretty identical when it comes to the faults people mention, it's just the second game came out after a ton of other games made endless side stuff the standard.

Though since I never play that side stuff, I didn't care. Some do, obviously.

News Comments > Irrational Departures
7. Re: Irrational Departures Aug 9, 2012, 00:26 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 21:21:
I have way more interest in Dishonored than Bioshock Infinite.

Same, but no need to choose really. I am excited for both.

BioShock is one of my favorite games, mixing my top gaming desires all into one lovely mixture: story, immersion, unique location, exploration, shooting.

If it only had stealth and better RPG mechanics it would have been perfect. Oh, hey there Dishonored!

12. Re: Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles Aug 9, 2012, 00:24 StingingVelvet

I loved Mafia 2. I dislike all the random side shit in GTA and only do the story missions, so the lack of it in Mafia 2 was no big deal to me. The driving and the story focus were good, made me feel like I was in the mob. Stunning graphics too. The ending was fine, he got his friend killed and has to live with it, good stuff.

Most everything people complained about with Mafia 2 was the same in Mafia 1 and I am not one to say old game design is bad. I prefer old game design, 9 times out of 10, when talking about the late 90's and early 00's.

News Comments > Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles
24. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:31 StingingVelvet

Makes sense.

If they sold movies I would probably buy some. I dislike how iTunes limits your number of devices. Of course, DRM free movies you can simply download would be best of all, but for some reason the only people providing that are pirate sites.

News Comments > Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed?
14. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 16:26 StingingVelvet

space captain wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:10:
why is any of this surprising? everything is being rebooted now, especially movies

its because people are fucking worthless .. they have nothing original to add, they just want to leech off the cash cows other people created.. its happening more and more because the only thing they are concerned with is making a buck.. thats it..

so let em bow down before the almighty dollar.. let it replace everything inside them

they deserve it

Alternative less cynical version: things like Batman are modern fables, strong stories that last generations and are continually reinterpreted because they are important to society and modern fables.

Prince of Persia would be on a list of such things within video gaming.

News Comments > Blood Revival Proposed
15. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 4, 2012, 17:51 StingingVelvet

Would love a source port like the Doom games and such got. Blood looks nice at high-res though, so it's not the most needed one ever.  

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Change Plans
18. Re: Diablo III Auction House Change Plans Aug 3, 2012, 17:29 StingingVelvet

Is this on wares sites and shit yet in working order? This is the first game... ever... that I would feel okay pirating.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leviathan and Firefight Announced
10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leviathan and Firefight Announced Aug 3, 2012, 13:03 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 12:20:
My big hangup on this is, what's the actual purpose of it? It won't make a shit's worth of difference in the game whether you played Leviathan or not. It'll probably add 150 points to your War Assets score...

I didn't play the game to raise my Asset score, I played the game because it was fun to play, has an awesome story and has cool new environments to see. I would assume the DLC adds more of all three things.

Bioware's DLC is not as rock-solid as Bethesda's but they make a lot of good stuff and are probably second on the list of best DLC makers. I'll be getting this for sure.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 13:00 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 05:09:
That's not what I've read. I've read the main quest takes about 8-10 hours and most of the side content is just generic fetch quests. Comparisons to Bloodmoon, Tribunal and Shivering Isles all came out negatively for Dawnguard.Also, they note how bland Dawnguard feels compared to Shivering Isles.

All of Skyrim is fetch quests, you can't dismiss those! Lol... Anyway, I believe the higher hour counts because I am a slow player and always end up high. There were people who said Skyrim was 20-30 hours long, but you say 200... all depends on the player.

The point is this has a large faction quest with two entirely different capaigns, two large new areas and expansion pack style side content like new weapons, new side quests, a face changer, new craftables, new enemies, new spells, etc.... it's certainly larger than the $10 packs they sold, including Point Lookout which was a bargain at $10.

I could see maybe saying $15 would have been better, but it seems silly to OMG a $20 price point like it's insane.

Then again I haven't dived in yet, just got the invitation to the new area last time I played.

News Comments > PC Hitman: Sniper Challenge Launches
10. Re: PC Hitman: Sniper Challenge Launches Aug 3, 2012, 03:17 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 23:14:
You didn't have to use the cover system. I just unbound the key. Radar, unfortunately, could not be turned off. I wouldn't call the stealth super easy, though. Try ghosting your way through the game. That means no killing or incapacitating anyone.

I did a pacifist playthrough but I knocked people out. There are many areas where I imagine it would be very hard without every knocking anyone out... maybe I will give it a try.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo