Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed
16. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:59 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:03:
So the new endgame is... grind 100 more levels?

Creston

By going always online and shit they seemed to make people think this is an MMO, but it's not is it? I don't know why people expected an "endgame" in the first place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Cut New Vegas Content
12. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 23:28 StingingVelvet

I downloaded the one that adds some missing NPCs back into the game, but overall this is some superfluous and generally buggy stuff. New Vegas was good as released, honestly.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches
52. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 17, 2012, 17:16 StingingVelvet

necrosis wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 10:48:
EA strong arming you and only letting you get digital version from their service and this thing from Ubi (insane DRM aside) is not even on par with Stem.

On par for your needs or not, they're still challengers, and they're not strong-arming you any more than Valve is with Portal 2 and whatever else.

23. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 16, 2012, 18:12 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 18:08:
Driver San Francisco for a buck? Hmm. Does it have that retarded DRM of theirs?

I'd be tempted to get AC2 and brotherhood for the PC, but same issue with the DRM horseshit... Though I believe in brotherhood it's been taken out?

Last I checked the always online games like Driver and AC2 are now just online to boot, offline afterward. They might have toned it down further in the interim though, I haven't played them in a while.

Brotherhood was a simple one-time activation.

20. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 16, 2012, 17:28 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 17:22:
I don't disagree with your post but for me the difference is with Steam I still have a singular, centralized front end to run all of my games from through which I can interface with all of my Bluenews friends with. Not everyone has (or will have) a Gamefly, Origin, or Uplay account but virtually everyone I am friends with here has a Steam account. I like simple, centralized ubiquity. It helps that Steam has the biggest library, the best features, and is generally the best all around digital service by a fair margin (though their customer service admittedly STILL sucks donkey balls).

I understand that... I mean it effects me very little as I don't play multiplayer, but I understand it. Still, I think selling direct to the consumer trumps it, and a centralized platform under one company head is pretty anti-PC.

You can always have Steam open all the time anyway, and launch 3rd party games from it, keeping 95% of its features intact.

16. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 16, 2012, 17:12 StingingVelvet

Client is pretty slick. I REALLY like how it has achievements that unlock things, makes them actually interesting, and that interface is done really well. Automatically added all the Uplay DRM games I used before, which is nice.

I know people here think it's insane but to me it's very true to the PC platform for a publisher to sell their game directly to me. We have these accounts anyway because of DRM, so why not a client if it adds features? Why is Steam so awesome but anything else like it so terrible? If your argument is purely not wanting more accounts, well, you have them already, so what's the diff?

Direct to consumer relationships and sales is true to PC gaming and enhances the appeal of our platform to publishers. I am all for it. I wish it was DRM free, but consumers accepted DRM a long time ago, so oh well.

10. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 16, 2012, 16:43 StingingVelvet

I would rage about all these accounts, but that's kind of ancient history at this point. I already have a Uplay account, because I registered X and Y Ubisoft games years ago. Might as well see how decent the application is.

I'm glad these challengers to the Steam monopoly are coming around, I just wish they were all simple sites like GOG or Amazon where you buy a game, download it, back it up and never worry about it again.

News Comments > BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC
42. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 15, 2012, 22:36 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 18:16:
The assumption that only people on forums might dislike DLC is inherently flawed and besides the point. You're a person on a forum too.

The point is the top feedback message is not forum posts but sales.

40. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 15, 2012, 17:58 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 11:22:
I see everyone's points here but consumer markets don't act as a single minded entity and are often shaped by what is available. That said, I agree with you that no one forces a gun to peoples heads and make them purchase things. Although if someone wants to play more of something and the only choice offered to them is to buy DLC or wait years for a sequel it's hard to argue that's a compelling consumer choice. It's no surprise people buckle because its an entertainment hobby, not politics. I think his point was that even if a large portion of the market voted with their wallets and didn't purchase DLC, it might not be enough because the profit margins on DLC are higher (according to gaming companies).

Sure, but in the end you can't blame companies for wanting to make money. That's the perspective that gets me in debates here a lot I guess, but it's just common sense to me. If DLC makes them money, day-one DLC makes them money, of course they are going to make it. And if it makes them money it means enough consumers accepted it that it can do so, no matter what people on forums say.

38. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 15, 2012, 11:05 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 07:26:
That's not what I meant conehead. I'm sorry that you don't realize that several large companies control the vast majority of content offered to customers in the first place. If you want content involving your favorite franchises and characters going forward it's going to be a binary choice because DLC encompasses more and more content in products. This combined with massive amounts of marketing means that no one has to be a forum minority to be upset about DLC, there is little anyone can do about it since its a high profit item that will make money on little sales.

If a few companies control the vast majority of game content, which I don't think I agree with but whatever, then they got to that position because customers supported them. Customers can quickly remove that support if they choose to. Customers have ALL the power.

35. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 15, 2012, 01:57 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 22:15:
Of course DLC sales can be forced on customers, there are a few large publishers who control the majority of the industry. The only real impediment to that is physical retail distribution. People want to game, they are not going to stop gaming because EA keeps shifting more content to DLC. The whole reason DLC works is because the prices are not significant enough to anger customers. They won't stop buying until they overreach, it's a big market and most DLC is very high profit so even if a majority stopped buying it probably wouldn't be enough. So take your lectures about forum minorities and shove them.

You acting like anyone is forced to buy an entertainment media product, let alone an add-on to an entertainment media product, is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease
10. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease Aug 15, 2012, 01:55 StingingVelvet

MattyC wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 00:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 23:58:
beigemore wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 23:49:
MIDI music can be pretty awesome with the right hardware or soundfont/banks loaded.
It's getting the right banks though. But yeah, there's something special about midi music, especially on a really good soundfont set. Nothing really beat the old awe64 and Yamaha sets, they were great.

Yep. I have often found midi music can be quite good and memorable. I have fond memories of many CT, FF6, & FF7 songs. It is really crazy what people did with the audio tech of the era even not on PCs. What they did on PCs was often even better, but both were great.

The point is the original Playstation versions did not use midi, but the PC release stupidly did. They did not restore the original music for this re-release. It sounds like shit.

33. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 21:55 StingingVelvet

mag wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 17:34:
If Capitalism 101 contained even an inkling of truth to it, the higher efficiency of the Polish group (and similar) would mean that monsters like EA would shortly go out of business.

You praise CDP, but before The Witcher 2 came out they were in serious trouble, laying some people off and canceling the original Witcher's console port. It's not easy to stay profitable for anyone on the gaming industry.

In any case, nice dodge. You didn't answer the fact people support this, which is the whole core of the issue.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease
2. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease Aug 14, 2012, 21:52 StingingVelvet

Bad DRM, still midi music... what an embarrassing release.  

30. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 16:58 StingingVelvet

SXO wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 16:19:
So its the consumers' fault that developers that work for mega-publishers like EA have absolutely no idea how to control their spending? Why is it that CD Projekt can produce The Witcher and The Witcher 2, give away all the "DLC" for free, sell "only" 4 million copies combined (both games and across all platforms), and they're still profitable? Does The Witcher 2 look like a low-budget game to you? How about you stop and question why EA's budgets are so astronomical, and whether these incredible games really cost as much as they're claiming they do to make? It's all horsesh*t, the companies have just become bloated insatiably gluttonous monsters.

Another example is the original Crysis which cost $22 million to make according to CryTek, and they were still profitable after the first year. The truth is when your competitor is making $100 million in the same time frame, your shareholders start to cry foul. So what happens? Time to start squeezing every last drop of money from your customers so your earnings reports start to look sweeter.

US corporation has more overhead than a smaller Polish group, news at 11. Of course EA spends more money, on employees if nothing else.

None of that is relevant though. What is relevant is consumers have ALL the power. If people told EA to stick their DLC up their ass then EA would pretty much do so. Instead we say "more please" and EA is obliging.

Capitalism 101.

10. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 13:30 StingingVelvet

Why listen to sales data and consumer acceptance when you should be listening to the angry minority on forums!

Oh wait...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
52. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 14, 2012, 13:27 StingingVelvet

ItBurn wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 08:28:
Most people prefer New Vegas simply because it was made by some of the devs who worked on the original fallout. I'm not sure if it's the case for you guys, but maybe this will enlighten you: I've never been a fan of the original fallouts.

Or perhaps we enjoy it because it has deeper roleplaying elements, better quest design, better writing, greater difficulty AND has ties to the previous games.

You don't like consequences, we get that. Nothing wrong with preferring FO3 for it's better exploration and relaxed roleplaying, but don't belittle our points.

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 14, 2012, 00:46 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 23:47:
So... yeah. FO3's locales weren't written with any sort of logical coherence or any real sense of history. It's like Bethesda's writers tried to come up with unique ideas and failed to actually flesh them out. Compare this to FNV, where every location has a real sense of history and relevance to the lore. Also, the locales actually make sense.

Fallout 3 is more like a circus with rides and attractions, weird neat shit to see. Some people really like that. I liked it for a while. It's nowhere near as good as an immersive roleplaying world for me, but some people have different priorities.

Morrowind and Skyrim were much better, so one hopes they are swinging back around.

News Comments > Big Sleeping Dogs DLC Plans
2. Re: Big Sleeping Dogs DLC Plans Aug 13, 2012, 20:31 StingingVelvet

I'm not one to freak about DLC or even early DLC, as I understand how game development timelines work. That said I really can't believe companies still advertise this stuff before the game even launches. They must think it sways people to buy a game, knowing there is DLC coming, even though internet fan rage says the opposite.  

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 13, 2012, 20:27 StingingVelvet

ItBurn wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 14:19:
But it's just true(to me). In FO3, I did exactly what I wanted all the time. In New Vegas, I constantly had to compromise and there were some really shitty mechanics. Like, I wanted to kill a scientist at the bottom of a dungeon. This would allow me to finish the quest the way I wanted to. If I did that tho, I would lose reputation with a faction, even tho NOONE else was there and I was undetected, making this course of action impossible. There were a ton of other examples like that. You must finish the mission in one of two very rigid ways, none of which were what I wanted to do.

Quest example from FO3: Guy asks you to find x amount of keys to open a secret vault with lots of loot. He doesn't want to tell you where it is. Let's forget the lengthy part where you get the keys. You get all the keys, then you can figure out yourself where it is if you have the skills, if not, you can give him the keys, and follow him there, or give him the keys, then learn of where it is and go there to share the loot, or find out another way where the place is, or even kill the guy, or finally, the way I did it, give him the keys, learn where the vault is, then pickpocket the keys back and leave. None of this would break the quest and the guy would always react accordingly.

The FO3 quest you mention is one of very few like that. New Vegas has soooooooo many more quests with multiple paths and results that I am literally baffled you think otherwise. Judging from your first paragraph I am wondering if perhaps you just disliked the consequences to your decisions that New Vegas doled out. Consequences to your choices, like upsetting a faction, is what RPGs are all about IMO.

Skyrim actually introduces a minor bit of that with the civil war and some random quests, plus Danwguard has it with the vamps versus the hunters. It's nowhere near New Vegas quality but it was nice to see from Bethesda.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo