Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 29, 2012, 05:05 StingingVelvet

Dishonored better be a success, it's exactly the game I would make if I had millions of dollars to spare.

Sadly I can't buy it or play it until January.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Plans/Rumors
11. Re: CD Projekt RED Plans/Rumors Oct 29, 2012, 05:03 StingingVelvet

I look forward to Cyberpunk a really unhealthy amount. A mature RPG set in that kind of world would blow my goddamn mind.  

News Comments > GTA5 in Spring?
31. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 05:01 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 04:20:
I think most people enjoy the series for the writing and ambiance more than anything else. Aside from writing, the games don't do anything particularly well. The combat, the stealth, the traversal, the AI, the mission design... it's all mediocre or worse by modern standards. The best part of GTA4 was the ragdoll physics.

Very true. GTA4 played better than the previous ones certainly but none of them are really polished driving games or shooters. I don't even think they're that fun to cause chaos in, compared to something like Just Cause or even Saboteur. They're good games because of the writing and world design, period.

Wish this was coming to PC day one, you'd think we had earned that by now, but Rockstar has always focused on consoles and the mainstream market.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming
34. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 31, 2012, 23:59 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 23:17:
When you consider all those facts and the generally poor critical reception of the PS3 version, it's actually quite plausible that the PC version outsold the PS3 version. Outselling the X360 is a little less likely but not as unrealistic as you seem to believe.

I said myself that it sold well on PC, and I know everything you just wrote. I still stand by the statement that thinking it sold more than both consoles combined is quite unrealistic, and would classify selling more than the Xbox version roughly the same. Selling more than the PS3 version would not surprise me.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
39. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 23:57 StingingVelvet

Kalthorn wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:19:
Not to be pedantic, but online games do not simply vanish from existence once they are shut down.

The publishers/owners could release the server executables to the public when they shut down, but they choose not to. That is why the game ends, not because of some magical property of being an online game.

We all know that won't happen, but even if it did, just because a new player can see all the same content 5 years after I did doesn't mean they are playing the same game. Patches, content updates, and, most importantly, the community at that point in time are all integral to the "true" game.

You can log into Everquest today and do some quests around Freeport but it won't be anything like it was for me and thousands of others in the weeks/years after launch. Call it zeitgeist or whatever you want, but the true experience of a game, of a work of art, is often wrapped up in the community and culture at that time. Can you play Super Mario Bros. 3 today? Yes. Would that experience be anything like it was when it came out? No. That experience has arguably vanished from existence.

That is sad, true, but like someone else already mentioned, makes the memories fonder. All I'm saying is that this happens regardless of the online/offline properties of a game.

I can load up SMB3 on an emulator and get the feel back to some extent, I can show my kids the games daddy played when he was little. With a dead MMO none of that is possible outside of random youtube videos (which are limited themselves).

If you don't think of games as art on the same level as movies and music then okay, let them die. For those of us who do though it's considered a cultural crime that a game can die and no longer be played in any form.

14. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:45 StingingVelvet

NKD wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:08:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:03:
And now it just will cease to exist. That is what I hate about online games, no one will be able to experience this game again.

There are a lot of experiences people have that will never come again, and that makes the memories even more fond, IMHO.

If you think of games as art though, which I do, it is truly tragic they can cease to exist. With an offline game there can always be emulation or at worst getting an old machine working. With online games though they just die.

32. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 31, 2012, 16:05 StingingVelvet

MattyC wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:45:
Game preservation worries for B.net titles is more than a little unfair. You can still login to Diablo 1 last I tried. That is from 1996. Blizzard could always change, but as of now they have a long record of backing their online services.

Blizzard won't exist forever.

8. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:03 StingingVelvet

And now it just will cease to exist. That is what I hate about online games, no one will be able to experience this game again.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
40. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 31, 2012, 04:41 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 03:44:
the cartoony visual style

Everything else aside I really don't get why some people hate visuals with a stylized look like this. I thought Dragon Age: Origins looked fucking boring, brown and grey Tolkien blowjob of the highest order. DA2, say whatever else you want about it, looked fresh, vibrant and beautiful.

Just opinions of course, but it seems like PC gamers in general want brown fantasy or nothing.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Aug 30, 2012, 22:52 StingingVelvet

Darkness 2 was very good I thought. Not worth $50, but for less than $20 it's a fun 6-8 hours of good shooting with cool powers.  

28. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 19:39 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 08:49:
Why is that unlikely? Skyrim hasn't left the top 20 Steam charts since it launched last November. Console sales for a game peter out very quickly. While they may not have outsold both platforms combined(and I am not sure they haven't), they probably outsold each console by a large margin.

Oblivion on Xbox outsold the PC version "many times over" according to a developer quote. In addition, Todd Howard when speaking of mods said "90% of our audience is on the consoles."

I would guess Skyrim sold on PC surprisingly well, hence all the post-release support, but saying it sold more than either console, especially both combined, is quite unrealistic.

27. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 19:36 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 05:06:
Unfortunately, D3's 6+ million sales don't really suggest that consumers are against always-online DRM. Rather, it suggests that they don't care about DRM at all provided that your game has sufficient hype and marketing.

I would say people hate DRM when it doesn't work, but don't care when it does. If Diablo 3 launched smoothly I would agree no one cared, but since it had a rough first week I would guess some people who normally wouldn't care might be a little wary of future always online requirements, at least for a little while.

Probably not though.

Honestly those of us worried about DRM and game preservation are so in the minority I am surprised publishers ever comment on the matter at all.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
33. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 30, 2012, 19:30 StingingVelvet

Some people know they want all the DLC no matter what, either because they trust the developer or love the franchise. I would have paid for a season pass for Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas, easily. Those people save some cash using this method, which is cool.

Not sure? Don't buy. Simple.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced
5. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:39 StingingVelvet

Fion wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:32:
Yep. I don't know about paying $20 for essentially the same thing as that mod (though by the sounds of this, it's more complex). I haven't even gotten Dawnguard yet because of all the poor reviews.

More like average reviews than bad (metacritic says 73). It's just more Skyrim, no more and no less. It's $20 worth of content easily when compared to other DLC, but it's just not really special or different.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:37 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:36:
Looks like it's only about $5, 400 MSP is 5ish USD. I don't know if I care enough to pay for such a specialized thing but oh well, it'll give me something to grab on a steam sale sometime.

Same thought here, maybe for 99 cents. Reminds me of the "bad DLC" from Oblivion.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launches
24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launches Aug 28, 2012, 11:29 StingingVelvet

Stupidest question in the world I know, but hype is a bitch. Is there any reason someone who hates MMOs would like this game?  

88. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 22:19 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 19:29:
Well to his credit he has openly admitted he is a contrarian and will argue different points of the same issue depending on the website.

Teehee.

84. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 15:13 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 12:48:
KB/M is the standard input peripherals on a PC, as in the most widely used. I use gamepads sometimes, there is nothing wrong with them but you don't boot up the computer and control it with a gamepad like a console. Asking developers to do the barest minimum of effort to ensure KB/M use works is not unreasonable. I wouldn't port a PC game to the consoles that requires keyboard input and tell them to buy a 360 chatpad.

Dark Souls is a bad port for many reasons, but I still disagree here. The difference there is the 360 actually does have a standard control method, so making them use a keyboard or whatever is completely opposed to the platform. The PC has no such standard, no such limitations.

I repeat, "back in the day" a gamepad was more "standard" on a PC than a mouse was. Games were released on PC that required a joystick or other peripherals. The PC has NO standard control scheme for games, none. A mouse does not come with laptops, a gaming quality video card does not come with 90% of PCs sold. Hell, tons of people build their PC from parts and it has no standard anything.

It's an open, adaptable, anything goes platform. That is its strength and weakness. I for one would welcome games with "controller required" setups if it meant more PC games to choose from and enjoy. In my opinion games like Dark Sounds are already in that group anyway, they just pretend otherwise to try and please people who are like "gamepads are for kids yo."

79. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 12:26 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 09:07:
While not necessarily ideal, the important thing is that the option is there. PCs don't exactly ship with gamepads so expecting everyone to have one is kinda silly.

What exactly does this standard uniform PC ship with? Because I have never heard of such a thing.

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:56 StingingVelvet

I am laughing at the idea of anything being "native" to the PC. A laptop does not come with a mouse and barely any PC comes with a real video card anymore. Do we complain when a game requires one of those?

As someone else said brilliantly the beauty of the PC is adaptability. Use the best control method for the job and shut the fuck up for Christ's sake.

The funny thing is no one complained about gamepads back in the day, or games clearly designed for a flightstick. It was common sense to have peripherals for certain games back then. It's only since the Xbox stole the shooter and RPG genres from the PC and people were like OMG WAR that this stupid idea of "gamepads are for console heathens" came around. Is pure bullshit posturing and fake superiority.

I would never think to play an FPS with a pad and feel bad for those who do. I would also never think to play Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Grid and whatever the fuck else with a keyboard, and feel bad for those who do.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo