Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4400 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
16. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 4, 2013, 21:29 StingingVelvet

What you'll never see as a headline:

"DICE delays Battlefield 4 for quality assurance."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode One
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode One Dec 4, 2013, 21:27 StingingVelvet

I'd like to support them with a purchase but I just know I wouldn't get around to playing this for quite a while. I haven't even played BS4 yet.  

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
6. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 17, 2013, 21:43 StingingVelvet

Finally time I actually played City.  

News Comments > Further Mass Effect 3 DLC Teasing?
9. Re: Further Mass Effect 3 DLC Teasing? Feb 3, 2013, 23:11 StingingVelvet

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 05:28:
But then again, you in particular seem to have a thang for having an entirely different opinion than the majority. Nothing wrong with that, just painstakingly apparent.

Yes, you caught me. I spend my life designing responses to get attention in bluesnews threads I often forget to ever check again.

News Comments > Steam in Hot Water in the EU?
48. Re: Steam in Hot Water in the EU? Feb 3, 2013, 20:14 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 01:26:
StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 22:29:
I think people should be supported for their work, not see identical experiences give them nothing in return thanks to reselling games as if they were physical objects that lose value over time. I hope this fails.
You hope what fails? This is already a done deal in EU law. The questions are just about specific implementations now.

I imagine the question is whether it applies to software services.

News Comments > Steam in Hot Water in the EU?
46. Re: Steam in Hot Water in the EU? Feb 2, 2013, 22:29 StingingVelvet

El Pit wrote on Feb 2, 2013, 15:38:
Now imagine somebody would put those movies on something like a disc. And sell it to you. And then - would you be able to resell it? I know, I got strange ideas with movies on discs, but nevertheless.... Okay, that wouldn't work if you bought the disc but the movie would be somehow bound to some user account of yours.

I like the old times, where we bought a tape, watched it and sold it again.

I like Steam, got a lot of games on Steam, but I'd really love to sell some of those that I either don't like or will never play again. You know, like in old times.

Yet in return for these changes we get other benefits, like ease of use, no storage, massive sales and niche titles being more profitable. Change is scary but you can't say digital is a total bad.

I think people should be supported for their work, not see identical experiences give them nothing in return thanks to reselling games as if they were physical objects that lose value over time. I hope this fails.

News Comments > Further Mass Effect 3 DLC Teasing?
6. Re: Further Mass Effect 3 DLC Teasing? Jan 29, 2013, 20:38 StingingVelvet

I feel damn near alone in thinking the ending was fine and the core gameplay was fucked up.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Q&A
35. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 29, 2013, 20:36 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 11:45:
But what made you think I acted that way?

I'm speaking in generals. The general tone about FOV is "omg you monsters this is unplayable," which I think is way overboard. That's all. And I agree with Sawyer that a lot of people screaming about it would eventually get used to the change and be better of for it, if they went with it. That's what happened to me, I went from constant FOV hacks to not caring and outright disliking higher FOV because of the fisheye.

Yet having the option is good, options are always good.

33. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 29, 2013, 09:54 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 00:01:
Yeah I don't agree with him because while it *does* cause distortion it also causes me nausea. So if a game deadlocks the fov to 60 (Syndicate, Darkness 2, Bioshock) it's not subjective that I get sick within 30 minutes.

So I don't give a damn what the reasons are. Deadlocked FOV is a stupid decision and an attack on my health.

And I said we should have the option. What I also said was, don't act like everyone is like you.

30. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 18:22 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 14:50:
I don't get how you deny the very video someone posted here as inaccurate and say "it's because you played Quake!"

Dude, the brain expects to see a certain field of view. A monitor becomes like a window. If you don't see as much as you're supposed to the brain gets... mixed.

The video is talking about optimum FOV. I know all about it from years spent at the widescreengamingforum. What it doesn't talk about is game assets and perspectives being designed around the FOV and how altering it creates fisheye.

I would rather my 4:3 games fill my screen but I am not going to stretch them to do so. Similarly while in some games, like say Dishonored, I would want a higher FOV, it is not worth distorting the image to achieve it.

If it made me sick I would likely accept the fisheye, but it doesn't. My entire point is people are different, FOV bothers some more than others, and fisheye bothers some more than others, and in the end it is SUBJECTIVE. That is my point.

The only people I am complaining about are ones who act like it is not subjective, and portray low FOV games as broken. Totalbiscuit is a good example.

26. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 13:13 StingingVelvet

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 04:08:
I remember playing Skyrim for the first time and not being able to put my finger on the reason why I had trouble focussing when looking around. It made me crazy. I wanted to knock out my brain with a sledgehammer at some point. Luckily, just in time, I realized increasing the FOV took care of that problem.

Raising Skyrim's FOV at all brings on fisheye really fast, due to the way they built the game. Most games get the fisheye effect when raised above the designed FOV but Skyrim REALLY had a problem with it. I'm not as tech guy and don't remember the exact reason, but I read about it somewhere.

In any event if that doesn't bother you then hooray, enjoy, but not everyone agrees with you.

25. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 13:09 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 08:54:
"Low fov haters", I roll my eyes a bit when I see stuff like that. Also the word hater is my candidate for most overused and least understood word of the past year.

Thankfully it's a non issue for this game since the developers were smart enough to recognize FOV adjustment on the PC is an oft requested feature for a reason.

Yes, the reason being a ton of people have motion sickness issues or are used to a higher FOV from years of Quake matches or whatever. I am not denying that and am happy we have the choice.

What I said was it annoys me when you guys act like it's a fact that higher is better, or that every PC gamer agrees with you. We do not.

24. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 13:07 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 21:42:
low FOV haters?

Can I buy this logic in a jar? Low FOV motion sickness is a medical issue, not a damned choice! If you don't suffer from it you are not having the setup required to suffer from it (large screen, less than arm length distance).

If you don't agree with scientific facts (and that is the case for the FOV and what is optimal at what distance : screensize : aspect) then nobody can help you. But we are not even hating low fov, we are hating on companies deadlocking it with bullshit excuses....

I use a 28" screen just over arm's distance away. It's not an issue for everyone, nor is it some kind of "fact" you insane person. It's a subjective thing. I tried Bioshock (and many other games) in default FOV and higher FOV and I see fisheye on the higher one.

JE Sawyer wrote about this on his formspring a while back and basically said old Quake players need to just get used to it because high FOV brings on distortion. I agree with him. You don't have to, that's why it's subjective.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 21:28 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 20:52:
Sleeping dogs stuff (even DLC) is 75% off. $10 for the game.

The DLC is confusing. The dragon master pack claims to have 5 dlc, but lists only 3. As well, once thats purchased, steam still lets you purchase the the individual ones you supposedly already own. Someone screwed up there.

I'm installing it right now so I can't tell WTF I actually own yet.

Speaking of DLC, steam's tracking for it as always is horrendous. It should be shown on the main page with the list of DLC which ones you own and don't own. You end up having to add all to cart and remove one at a time, and then steam's cart bugs out sometimes if you remove too many items too quickly and clears your cart, making you start all over. Which is a big pain if its a 30 or so DLC like with magicka.
Speaking of the cart, valve get into the last decade and give us checkboxes and select all options for the cart, so its easier to manipulate the cart.

90% of the DLC for that game is stupid skins and cheat items. I would rather not have them in my game, let alone pay for them.

The two actual packs are the tournament and Halloween ones, but from what I hear they aren't very good.

13. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 21:25 StingingVelvet

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:36:
65 just doesn't work for PC when you're sitting closer to the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

that video explains it all in detail

Not everyone is effected by that and personally every time I raise an FOV above default I see fisheye.

I'm fine with low FOV haters expressing their opinion, but when they act like every PC gamer agrees with them I roll my eyes a bit.

News Comments > Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Challenges
12. Re: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Challenges Jan 25, 2013, 21:58 StingingVelvet

Why any of these do a physical option is beyond me, past perhaps a simple boxed version. The whole point of this kind of thing is digital distribution making publishers irrelevant. Physical trinkets cost money, more money than these developers expect.  

News Comments > THQ Breakup Details Confirmed
32. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 20:37 StingingVelvet

DangerDog wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:43:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:38:
Sega getting Relic is awesome, looking at Total War. I hope they buy the Homeworld IP when the legacy IPs go on sale.

Except for the often heard comments about Sega having financial troubles themselves. I guess they're not that broke if they can fork over $26.6 million.

They have a LOT of money in the bank supposedly, their problem was just that all their AAA stuff was losing money. So they reigned things in a lessened their output, which makes sense. A lot of other companies should be doing the same.

24. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 15:41 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:03:
That's a fair point. I should amend my statement to "the dumbest fucking decision Volition OR THQ ever made." :)

I think linear can have value over non-linear. I'm not sure which of those games is better because they're so different, but Armageddon focusing on linear shooting with that cool tech was a very enjoyable experience for me. Some people dislike open games, so perhaps they liked it much better.

In any event it did seem to be a financially poor decision because everyone ripped them apart for the change.

23. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 15:38 StingingVelvet

Sega getting Relic is awesome, looking at Total War. I hope they buy the Homeworld IP when the legacy IPs go on sale.  

News Comments > Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes.
54. Re: Dead Space 3: PC Enhancements? No. Microtransactions? Yes. Jan 22, 2013, 18:37 StingingVelvet

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 18:34:
The microtranactions are there for the lazy, they won't force anyone to buy them or unbalance gameplay to push people towards it. Other publishers do the same thing, it's amazing to me that there's such a hate for EA here though, every publisher is on the DLC/microtransaction bandwagon at this point. It's like you guys think it's only EA who does this sort of thing.

This site is mostly filled with cranky older PC gamers and EA have given them a ton of reasons to be pissed over the years.

4400 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo