Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for shul

Real Name shul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shul
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 8, 2000, 17:14
Total Comments 657 (Apprentice)
User ID 5459

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. goddamn it! Oct 23, 2003, 13:00 shul

Each year I think to myself "this year I'll take the flu shot" and each year I get to it too late..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Halo Trial Version
97. Save game Oct 18, 2003, 07:43 shul

The game is built on profiles and "check points" you can save and reload from.

... Only that I restarted the game I was playing (restarted the halo demo) and now I can't reload my last checkpoint, as if everything gone to waste...

Ideas?

18. Re: Matrix Reloaded Oct 14, 2003, 12:19 shul

we were amazed at the newness in the first movie

This is what amazes me... the matrix movies (the two I have seen) are great, they defined a new level for special FX, they were brilliantly entertaining and so on and so forth..

But they did not introduced anything new , they are a bunch of mythology/SF/fantasy/cult which were cut and pasted into the script (a man in a machine? TRON, the one ? Babilon 5, martial arts? martial arts! and these are probably not genuine as well...)

But people made this their religion... go figure...

I suspect that the matrix movies are so appealing because they all fall into familiar patterns, things we already know about, they simply plug into the collective sub conciense...

But hey - great movies , waiting for the 3rd...

19. Blue, what was the Blues quake rag link? Oct 10, 2003, 11:40 shul

... I want to try it in the wayback machine...

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Delay? Maybe, Playable? Yes
19. Re: 1420 Mb Oct 7, 2003, 17:09 shul

The trojan is only 819MB, its the nfo , inf and viruses which are the other 1MB

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Delay? Maybe, Playable? Yes
2. This is so strange... Oct 7, 2003, 16:46 shul

Why build the game if you had access to the valve environment? Gabe must have had an exe on his computer...

It smells like someone tries to cover off his sent..

(or maybe they just need a playable thing to check the cheats on :-) )

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Source Code Leak
290. Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 5, 2003, 06:55 shul

In otherwords a firewall/router.

... Which means exactly what I said, no servers are visible to the outside world, port 80 is open for http calls etc.

If they didn't done that (which I doubt) they had it coming...

News Comments > More on Half-Life 2 Source
80. Re: Speechless... Oct 5, 2003, 03:53 shul

Sorry to hear you are out of a job, F1, this sux.

Your employer sounds like a bright, bright man...

News Comments > More on Half-Life 2 Source
78. Re: Suicide concert Oct 5, 2003, 03:38 shul

I'd worry more about this kind of problem with society

Why? We are gamers , and as such the only thing interesting us is the HL2 code steal, due date of Doom and whether or not DNF will have strippers in it. Let the kid kill himself (hopefully in an interesting non-lame way, so we can say once more that "reality beats imagination").

Siriously though - this is the most sick and perverted thing I've ever seen. Lets say the kid lives for another year and in that year significant progress in the study of his desease is made, if I were one of those band I'd kill myself then and there (live?) - but then again, I would have never taken another innocent man's life.

It just occured to me that someone is going to (and has) profit off this poor kid. Life is cruel but this is yet another notch in humanity decline.

</end poetic blurb>

288. Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 5, 2003, 03:04 shul

Creston,
First of all , it looks like the second comment was from me, but it wasn't...

About outlook - I didn't see anywhere what hack they used... how exactly do you know they used a security hole dated a year ago??

About the net - there is no such thing as "one way connection to the net", refresh your TCP/IP knowledge - if you want to get information from the net you need to send a packet requesting the data and then receive the data back to your computer (if you mean by "one way" "no server allowed" that is easily hackable by someone who knows what they are doing...)

267. Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 4, 2003, 04:43 shul

Luka,
I know it won't be easy because I've been to such a company!

Its not possible to ask programmers to stop using the net, simple as that. And if your best solution is to get everybody off the net I suggest you re-evaluate.

246. Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 3, 2003, 18:53 shul

go use a designated PC.

Yeah right, take the easy way out.

What about online help, collaborating with outsiders, consulting sdk documentation, downloading open source projects, using different online tools, google, deja, irc buddies (yes, from time to time you get the mind blundering c++ inheritence of dual precision to float question you just can't handle without in depth x86 assembler knowledge...) and whats not.

So? instead of using some good firewall with statefull packet sniffing and *knowing* all you get in and out of your dmz is port 80 http requests and *thats it* you suggest a different thing, having a designated PC.

Great. and what happens when you need to send some actual code to someone you trust? we are talking about f234ing email here, the bread and butter of the industry, not some off world service like skype beta...

245. Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 3, 2003, 18:37 shul

Max Payne 2

Assuming it will be out...

239. Re: what is this world coming to ????? Oct 3, 2003, 17:55 shul

And Carmack never got h4x0r3d

... eh.. Sorry, but carmack got haxored more times than he'd like to count...

All the doom games. All the quake games. Couple of tests and beta's, levels and what-nots. But it's not Carmack vs Gabe here, it's the principal: If microsoft can't sell products (it's a f34#$king email client for god sakes!!) I don't think they should sell anything, and I also think valve has a good case against Microsoft (Assuming they kept all other doors guarded...).

So? Now when you close your eyes you don't see Doom (got puzzled by the source engine) or HL2 (got screwed over by some script kiddies), what about Duke? - oh, that one is not going to see the light of day, not in the near future anyway, So basically there is no good FPS out there to play with.

184. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2003, 05:18 shul

chris,
he is just troling and you know what they say.. don't feed the trols

I feel for you man, hope everything will turn out OK (as I hope.. read my other post, if you are in the know - pass it on to gabe or somebody),

shul

183. Maybe the community is mature enough ? Oct 3, 2003, 05:10 shul

This is going to look like a trol, but bare with me...

I don't think this has to be such a fatal blow to HL2, I don't think we, as gamers, are being screwed here.
Why? because having the source code isn't going to change anything.
The source code being out there only means more people will be able to look at the cause of the problem (when such a cheat/hack/bug will be in existence), nothing more. This means that the community will be able to remedy situations before valve does (not that they didn't do a great job with HL1, but having a cheat/bug without any ability to solve it is pretty frustrating for anyone with C knowledge),
So - it will be transparent. copyright laws and the "changing code any hour, any day, any second" scheme of valve (if it will work) will be enough from stealing the important, break-through stuff in HL2, and all the rest is already open source so why bother?

I think that as a whole , unjustifiably as it is, this will be a good step for the community, not something which will ruin it.

The only thing which worries me is what will come of valve after all of this, a company which obviously should not have been the target of such an attack. I hope they will gather up the pieces and understand that this is not the end of the world as they know it.

News Comments > Calling All Gamers
7. This can be either very good or very bad Oct 2, 2003, 14:04 shul

... and I opt for very bad...

Usually interactive gaming world and non interactive TV have hard time combining (and don't sell me the 1-800 numbers trick, it will not work)...

A show with a chance of working will be internet based, in which the audience is part of the expirience...

13. Defender of the Crown Oct 2, 2003, 13:12 shul

Wow!!
Thanks for this one, brought on a heap of memories :-)

41. The new year Sep 27, 2003, 05:55 shul

Blue and everyone,
I wish you a happy new year, much better than the last one.

144. Loss Sep 20, 2003, 02:12 shul

Stephan, I want to convey my deepest sympathies and my condolences for your loss - I hope you will see this through with the knowledge that life should and will keep on.

As one which met loss in several occasions I want you to know that sometimes (especially when the person dying is close to you) the best way in the first days is to keep on doing the stuff you always do, returning to normal for part of the day. Keep in mind that the full weight of what has happened will fall upon you and try to manage your time is such a way that when it does someone will be there, or, if you prefer it that way (like I do) - a warm, familiar surrounding and a lot of silence...

Stay strong,

shul

657 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo