Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 748 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev
5. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 11:46 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:11:
At the same time, plenty of people (even here) say "no multiplayer? I'm not paying $60 for a 12 hour single player game!"

So multiplayer gets tacked on, and it sucks, and no one is happy. Or, sometimes, an additional 4-6 hours is tacked on, and they suck and outstay their welcome, and no one is happy.

So, the takeaway is that the customer is wrong?

No. The industry has decided that everything has to come off the damn Lunch Specials menu. If your game can't stand on what it offers, make it BETTER. Don't tack on 50% content that is just filler, or MP components that suck or don't work at all, then blame the CONSUMER for not liking the taste of the crap you're shovelling.

There are too many successful indy projects out there for the "Oh, our customers are just whiners and will never be happy or supportive!" justification to carry water, anymore.

In summary, no, we don't want to pay $60 for a 12hr single player game...unless it's worth it...and we won't be happy to pay $60 bucks for the same game with +50% content and/or multiplayer, unless those are actually good. It's not rocket science.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2012, 12:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death
32. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 16:38 JoeNapalm

I was just inspired to do my homework on this DRM, and...

...the Blizzard of old is officially dead.

WTF is up with THIS anti-consumer UBI-esque crap? Blizz, why hath though forsaken us?

@#$%ing Activision.

I was looking forward to D3, but this "you'll fold because you NEED our game" bully bully crap is why I didn't play BF3...

Yes, Blizz, I just compared you to EA. Never thought the day would come.

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 13:58 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:16:
What else can i compare it to but the top reference.. true its a mod but it still enhances the core game this remake is supposed to be remaking.

Thats the first thing a remake should have taken inspiration from, no? Modders literally already made a JA2 remake, and thats JA2 1.13 - the standard reference for this genre with no equal.

What's amazing is that they're the fourth or fifth studio to do this.
Strategy First had a few start. None finished. A few games got released as non-JA games. And they sucked. Then the fan-made sequel came out, again not as a JA game, and it sucked.

It's like all those UFO games that are spiritual successors to X-COM. They've all been awful. It's part uncanny valley ("This gun doesn't fire exactly the same and therefore makes me queasy!") and partly just that the people making these games are talentless hacks with no clue what they're doing.

I've lost count of the number of times a great IP has been used this way...

I'll never understand the mentality of "Lets take something a ton of people love and then crap all over it!" as a sales mechanism.

I mourn SirTech. All of their games were huge pains in the butt on some level or another, but they had such depth and character.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death
21. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 13:36 JoeNapalm

Aside from the fact that Diablo, in the past, has had a Hardcore mode...I never understand these folks who insist that games MUST include an "Iron Hand" mode where the character is nuked when you die.

EVERY game has this feature, even MMOs. It's called the @#$%ing DELETE button. If you wanna play that way, just delete your character when you die! Why do you need a special "mode"? Do you lack the resolve to eradicate your save game?

If I were still a programmer, I'd be unlikely to add a feature like that when the capability is already there for the 1% of players who want to do this.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 10:13 JoeNapalm

Eh, I'm a huge JA fan...and amazingly, it's not the Real-Time-with-Pause thing that bothers me, so far (BE5, while tragically flawed, convinced me that RTWP can work).

What is keeping me from playing the game, right now, is that Back in Action, as a remake, has a whole laundry list of major features that they simply tore out.

1. No player-made characters. Totally unacceptable. On the official boards, the reason given was that they couldn't balance the game with vs a PC - a statement I have absolutely no sympathy for, as they didn't even include difficulty settings! Which leads to:

2. No @#$%ing settings. No SciFi mode, no difficulty, no mode or adjustments outside of when the pauses kick in.

3. The lack of destructable environments, a cover overlay, and any number of other features that JA2 had a decade ago.

Seriously, Devs, if you can't make a game that at least holds up to the most basic comparison to the features of a game from the '90s, go home.

Go big, or go home, mutha@#$%ers!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2011, 09:59 JoeNapalm

Of course they don't have an opinion, you git!

They haven't played the game, yet!

That's why people read reviews!

I trust player reviews as much as "professional" ones (which is to say, not at all), but they can still be of use to get an idea about a game you know nothing about.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Unveiled
7. Re: Shadowrun Online Unveiled Oct 13, 2011, 12:49 JoeNapalm

I am skeptical, but this actually gives me some hope:

Quote from: primetide

We are not doing a full fledged client based MMO, I am afraid, as this would be beyond our meagre means and also almost all big client based futuristic RPGs have failed commercially, so it is a BIG risk. So it means our game will not be huge, shiny and it will not aim to build the 6th world brick by brick for you to experience. That being said, if anyone has 60 to 70 million dollars lying around unused looking for an investment opportunity, we are happy to reconsider.

Instead we intend to focus on the more tactical parts of the game and we will do a browser based game with small team gameplay (either alone or with others), more in the tradition of Baldur's Gate crossed with Jagged Alliance - with more firepower.

Not only referencing the Sixth World (implying they have at least SOME familiarity with the SR setting), but BG and JA? Might be a good sign...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 - State of the Game; Stats Reset Plans
3. Re: Red Orchestra 2 - State of the Game; Stats Reset Plans Oct 7, 2011, 13:28 JoeNapalm

1. Release buggy, screwed up game
2. Devise punitive plan that scales proportionately to the amount of dedication each individual player has shown to playing the game, in the face of adversity
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

Knife

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Red Dead Redemption
40. Re: Rockstar on (Lack of) PC Dead Red Redemption Oct 6, 2011, 09:55 JoeNapalm

I can only hope that this is some sort of "New Coke" marketing BS and they're really already working on it.

RDR is, hands down, the best game they've ever done. Hell, my WIFE would ask me "are you going to play more of that cowboy game?" because she enjoyed simply watching the storyline...this from someone who's gamer cred includes only TETRIS.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2011, 14:53 JoeNapalm

Gee, some dude who has lost millions due to his gambling problem wants to tell us to stop playing games.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road Sep 21, 2011, 11:28 JoeNapalm

I really got into Fallout NV, but got sidetracked waiting for one of the early big patches...to the point where I have since uninstalled and will have to come back later and start over.

Hopefully there will be a holiday sale where I can snatch up all the DLC for cheap.

Besides, these days it's almost as if you have to wait (and pay repeatedly) to play the game as intended...grumble grumble DLC grumble...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Vampire: the Masquerade MMOG Details
22. Re: Vampire: the Masquerade MMOG Details Sep 19, 2011, 15:01 JoeNapalm

Fion wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 11:54:
At the same time the fact that you can start and play the entire game as mortal is interesting because there was no 'basic mortals' game in the old world of darkness. The NWOD however the very first game you play as a mortal just like in the game. So I don't wonder the game is an amalgam of Vampire: the Masquerade meta-game and World of Darkness/Vampire: the Requiem mechanics.

It's an MMORPG.

Chances are that it will have WoW mechanics.

Step one for most MMOG adaptions of table-top games is...throw out the table-top game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Interactive Trailer
6. Re: Orcs Must Die! Interactive Trailer Sep 15, 2011, 17:00 JoeNapalm

Did...did I get conked on the head, or kidnapped and uploaded into an elaborate VR, or something?

DXHR didn't suck. Lucas Arts is talking about space sims. Like four or five other games are cooking that look like they might actually be really good...

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2011, 14:13 JoeNapalm

To be fair, it's not like Sony invented this.

It's fairly standard evil lawyer BS.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots
15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 10:23 JoeNapalm

Drezden wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 07:43:
C22 Konried/Emerald for life, bitches. See you on the battlefield.

Hooyah!

Wait...what faction? *Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Minecraft 1.8 Live
4. Re: Minecraft 1.8 Live Sep 14, 2011, 15:41 JoeNapalm

Halo wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:29:
CommunistHamster wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:40:
I'm warming up to minecraft again. This branch of development provides a reason for me to play. An objective! Or the beginnings of a system that provides more meaningful objectives than "build some pretty but useless crap"

Sounds like every day life.

Sounds like you need a new job.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles Parasites
5. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles Parasites Sep 12, 2011, 15:45 JoeNapalm

Just another buzzword.

I'm sure some suit somewhere wants to know if GSB leverages synergy, before he runs around, waiving his hands in the air and screaming "Botnets! Boooootneeeets!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Syndicate FPS Confirmed for Next year
5. Re: Syndicate FPS Confirmed for Next year Sep 12, 2011, 10:13 JoeNapalm

What are the chances of this hitting the sweet spot between Deus Ex and Red Storm era Rainbow Six?

*sigh*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link Announcement
20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link Announcement Sep 8, 2011, 15:52 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 15:41:
nin wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 14:40:
Jdrez wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 14:22:
Well shit, that three-day thing was a bit spoilerish for those of us only seven hours into the game.

(and my seven hours is probably everyone else's three since I'm going slow on purpose. Yes, I DID in fact need to stop and gaze at every single sign and billboard on the street. Shut up.)

Think my first playthrough was 32 or 34 hours. Take your time and enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure my 70 hours (minus about 5 hours for two restarts) still reign supreme for the "Holy shit, dude, MOVE YOUR LAZY ASS!" award.

Creston

I took 40.5, being very sneaky and (I thought) thorough. For 70hrs, I'd have to be going for the Pacifist achievement, I think.

Not that I'm not tempted to go back and try to do the whole thing with one hand tied behind my back...

Hey, what exactly does the Deus Ex difficulty do, anyway? Just more bad guys? I hate "Hard" modes that just nerf you and buff the Bad Guys.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel
18. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 1, 2011, 15:50 JoeNapalm

kanniballl wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 15:05:
Tumbler wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 14:28:

Brilliant. And from a technical side this game is a fantastic cross platform experience. The game plays identical to the console 360 version I started on but I have options to improve the experience in many ways.

I'll be honest, and I'll probably be flamed for this (and/or ignored by people)...

After a couple of hours, when I decided "I'm definitely going full stealth with this"

I decided to plug in my XBox 360 controller *GASP*

Playing stealthily/slowly meant I didn't need twitch reflexes. I could slowly aim for the head with the tranq gun or hit "b" to melee or use the stun-gun.

Everything worked just fine... interactions, talking trees/menus, movement, etc. It was actually a nice experience.

Now, if I play again as a violent rampage... I'll probably go back to Mouse+Keyboard for the twitch and the quicker head shots. But even with the controller, my occasional gun-fights with the bosses went fine. I avoided Typhoon until the last battle-area so my first batch of boss fights were 'nades and shotgun.
-

I understand that you CAN do this...

...I just can't fathom WHY you would.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

748 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo