Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 762 (Graduate)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 16, 2013, 12:21 JoeNapalm

I can't help but notice that no one mentions that Swartz could have plead out - six months at Club Fed Minimum Security - or that he had struggled with depression and thoughts of suicide for years.

Federal sentencing guidelines are based on the amount of damages - he compromised ("hacked") systems and stole millions of pages of documents that, at the time, were not free.

While I commend the guy's activism and agree his death is sad, he went too far, he broke the law, he was facing REASONABLE consequences for those actions. If he refused to cut a deal and wanted to roll the dice in court, then yes - he was risking a huge sentence.

You can't plead "NOT GUILTY" and expect to get off just because you don't agree with the law. I don't like to drive slow, but that won't get me out of trouble if I drive 200mph through a school zone. He never contested the fact that he DID the criminal acts - if he disagreed on principle, cut a deal for "No Contest" - don't plead "Not Guilty" then off yourself because you're being prosecuted for crimes you actually committed.

But as the old saying goes - if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 10:33 JoeNapalm

Warskull wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 10:12:
I would say maybe between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 in my experience.

So...1 in 4?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I'd like more options for difficulty adjustment - I played on Normal and then on Classic. I didn't like the feeling on Classic of my troops being basically handicapped...I'd rather play on Normal, but with Hardcore numbers of aliens to ramp up the difficulty.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > HAWKEN Beta Opens
6. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 13:44 JoeNapalm

Wow...that's a turn.

Up until now, I've only heard how awesome this game will be - now I can't find any positive commentary.

Interesting.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 15, 2012, 12:17 JoeNapalm

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 12:01:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 11:24:
Do you know if releasing the rats behind a closed door in doctor blahblah's lab at the beginning count as a kill? I mean, they're not my rats, they just happened to get loose. For that matter how are sidequest kills/stats handled in the end chapter/zone total up?
Ah, that's disappointing - that means it will be incredibly difficult to collect all gold and bonuses. I'm trying a clean playthrough and didn't realise they counted as deaths - I remember just recently knocking out a guard with a sleep dart but him later getting eaten by rats, so I guess I'm going to have to restart. It shouldn't count as a kill unless your actions directly caused their death.

A game like Dishonored really shouldn't include quick-save / regular save as an option but should rely on regular auto-saves. It makes stealth so much more rewarding when you can't save just before something. A great example of that is Metro 2033 - at first the lack of quick-save annoyed me but it made the game so much more rewarding. With Dishonored when I forced myself not to save at all it was so much more tense and more rewarding. In fact now that I remember I'm going to unbind the quicksave button so I don't do it instinctively.

Did...did you just posit the theory that checkpoints are better than an actual save game system?

Sir, I'm with the PC Police. I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your keyboard and mouse. And, unfortunately, I'm going to have to tase you. Repeatedly.

I understand your points - I, for one, have been rigorous about not reloading my XCOM game, even to save lives, but...

It's in the regs. I don't make the rules, I just tase people.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2012, 10:43 JoeNapalm

Who waaaants to liiiiiiive forever?

Who waaaants to liiiiiiive forever?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode
16. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 14:26 JoeNapalm

deqer wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:22:
"<Player>: Blizzard, I don't have a normal life. I hide from things. I don't want my friends to see me. I also don't want to take the heat and don't have the guts to say 'no' to my friends. I just want to avoid it completely, because I'm not normal.

So please, add a 'Appear Offline' option."

"<Blizzard>: Okay, this indeed sounds like a priority. We will implement this."

So...by your logic, NOT having the ability to even appear offline, let alone be offline, to play a game by yourself, is "normal"...?

Is this a Twitter thing?

Not everyone needs, or even wants, to be connected to everyone else everywhere at all times.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans
10. Re: Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans Sep 19, 2012, 14:08 JoeNapalm

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:08:

Had they had that video as a ending, I would be offering a kidney for the next game. But the ending was so badly contrived that as others have said I have no more interest in Mass Effect.

And this from a guy who's forum avatar is an N7 logo.

Great job, Bioware! Great job.

(One of my favorite IPs, and at the end, I was simply depressed.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > BIS Arrests Follow-up
4. Re: BIS Arrests Follow-up Sep 12, 2012, 14:12 JoeNapalm

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 11:54:
ASeven wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 11:40:
Fucking insane. Then again Turkey and Greece hate each other with a passion unseen in this world. They have been enemies since a long, long time ago and the terrible wound of the Armenian genocide Turkey perpetrated on the Balkans and on Greece will never heal by the looks of it.

Hence Greece is VERY serious about people snooping on their military. Still, this is insane.

Yeah, if it can be seen from outside of the grounds of the base, it ain't a secret. This kind of hypersensitivity is ridiculous, both there and here in the US as well.

You're being naive if you think that, going anywhere in the world, taking pictures of gov't/military installations isn't going to be met with SOME sort of negative reaction.

Doubly so if you believe that said reaction is entirely unwarranted.

These guys will be held while their story and backgrounds are checked out - then they will be held some more until some political poker chips are exchanged.

I generally am a believer in the axiom that it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission - but I tend to draw the line at things like military installations.

They should have asked for permission first. They probably didn't, because they figured they would be told "No". Now they are being told "No" in a more direct fashion.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > G4 Makeover Coming?
6. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 11:51 JoeNapalm

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 09:50:
Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

"Fuckin' A!"

Ninja Warrior is the only thing worth saving...the rest of the network is an infuriating affectation, at best.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
46. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 31, 2012, 15:28 JoeNapalm

DG wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:29:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 14:49:
Yeah .... I want to play this game but am willing to wait for the $7.50 GOTY version like I did with the first Borderlands.
I'd agree with you but I'm short on games I actually want to play.

Tons of unplayed games from Steam sales, but I just can't muster up enthusiasm for them. Just Cause 2, LA Noire, STALKER, Shogun 2, Legend of Grimrock, Super Meat Boy, to name but a few that have been spoken about positively on here.

And here I thought it was just me in that particular situation.

I have a huge backlog from various Steam sales, and yet all I want to do is buy Sleeping Dogs.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2012, 15:12 JoeNapalm

A birthday bath? Oh noes!

Our Airedales always loved the water...but HATED baths.

(I think it's cause they liked to be as stinky as possible.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Season Pass
1. Re: Borderlands 2 Season Pass Aug 30, 2012, 10:25 JoeNapalm

I will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev
16. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 13:56 JoeNapalm

Beamer, you're demonstrating exactly what is wrong with "The Industry." I'm not saying you are wrong, just that the industry, itself, is limping along on a flawed model.

Games are art...I don't care what the Supreme Court or you or whoever has to say about it, they're art. And just like other forms of art in the entertainment industry, like books and movies, when it becomes an industry, things get all jacked up.

This is because Suits don't get art. They don't understand it, and they sure as fuck don't MAKE it. Suits only understand, only make, one thing - MONEY.

Which is why Beamer and I are talking about two entirely different things. See, I'm talking about making good games, and Suits don't give a rat's ass about that.

So when the Suits (for example) take over a previously beloved game company, they can't understand why they hit all the bullet points and buzz words and did their focus groups and spread sheets and their game is a massive flop. They had AAA graphics and sound. They had SP and MP. They threw in MMO and 3D late in development. They had vampires or ponies or whatever is "hot" this week. And they lose money.

Must be those damn pirates.

Yet games like Minecraft, Mount & Blade, Portal and DayZ and countless other "from nowhere" games are successful, despite very clearly NOT having all the bullet points and focus groups (you seriously think people KNOW what they want?). Games like Sleeping Dogs are popular and successful, yet lack multiplayer, but the Suits will only see "lost sales."

More damn pirates. Shoulda had always-online DRM. Shoulda made an MMO.

The Suits don't get that there's a difference between the gaming community and grandma buying something off the rack at S-Mart. They don't even begin to understand what makes some games legendary and others utterly tank. They'll tell you they do, but they don't. If they did, you wouldn't see so many AAA disasters.

The Suits refuse to acknowledge that there is anything more to the consumer than money (hence Beamer's comments that it doesn't matter if we are happy, just that we give them money) or that there's more to a game than a collection of features.

Because games are art. And it takes artists, not Suits, to make good art. Money is generally a different story, sadly.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

7. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 12:13 JoeNapalm

Seriously, the article and your post both show that the industry KNOWS it's pushing out crappy product, and you're STILL in here blaming the customers for not being happy? Top marks for audacity.

Can you imagine if any other industry tried that?

"Hey, we made a car that only gets 4 miles to the gallon, and people weren't happy, so we put a 100 gallon tank on it, and still they complain! Our customers are assholes! BUY OUR CARS!"

WTF?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 11:46 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:11:
At the same time, plenty of people (even here) say "no multiplayer? I'm not paying $60 for a 12 hour single player game!"

So multiplayer gets tacked on, and it sucks, and no one is happy. Or, sometimes, an additional 4-6 hours is tacked on, and they suck and outstay their welcome, and no one is happy.

So, the takeaway is that the customer is wrong?

No. The industry has decided that everything has to come off the damn Lunch Specials menu. If your game can't stand on what it offers, make it BETTER. Don't tack on 50% content that is just filler, or MP components that suck or don't work at all, then blame the CONSUMER for not liking the taste of the crap you're shovelling.

There are too many successful indy projects out there for the "Oh, our customers are just whiners and will never be happy or supportive!" justification to carry water, anymore.

In summary, no, we don't want to pay $60 for a 12hr single player game...unless it's worth it...and we won't be happy to pay $60 bucks for the same game with +50% content and/or multiplayer, unless those are actually good. It's not rocket science.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2012, 12:09.

News Comments > Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death
32. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 16:38 JoeNapalm

I was just inspired to do my homework on this DRM, and...

...the Blizzard of old is officially dead.

WTF is up with THIS anti-consumer UBI-esque crap? Blizz, why hath though forsaken us?

@#$%ing Activision.

I was looking forward to D3, but this "you'll fold because you NEED our game" bully bully crap is why I didn't play BF3...

Yes, Blizz, I just compared you to EA. Never thought the day would come.

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 13:58 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:16:
What else can i compare it to but the top reference.. true its a mod but it still enhances the core game this remake is supposed to be remaking.

Thats the first thing a remake should have taken inspiration from, no? Modders literally already made a JA2 remake, and thats JA2 1.13 - the standard reference for this genre with no equal.

What's amazing is that they're the fourth or fifth studio to do this.
Strategy First had a few start. None finished. A few games got released as non-JA games. And they sucked. Then the fan-made sequel came out, again not as a JA game, and it sucked.

It's like all those UFO games that are spiritual successors to X-COM. They've all been awful. It's part uncanny valley ("This gun doesn't fire exactly the same and therefore makes me queasy!") and partly just that the people making these games are talentless hacks with no clue what they're doing.

I've lost count of the number of times a great IP has been used this way...

I'll never understand the mentality of "Lets take something a ton of people love and then crap all over it!" as a sales mechanism.

I mourn SirTech. All of their games were huge pains in the butt on some level or another, but they had such depth and character.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death
21. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 13:36 JoeNapalm

Aside from the fact that Diablo, in the past, has had a Hardcore mode...I never understand these folks who insist that games MUST include an "Iron Hand" mode where the character is nuked when you die.

EVERY game has this feature, even MMOs. It's called the @#$%ing DELETE button. If you wanna play that way, just delete your character when you die! Why do you need a special "mode"? Do you lack the resolve to eradicate your save game?

If I were still a programmer, I'd be unlikely to add a feature like that when the capability is already there for the 1% of players who want to do this.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 10:13 JoeNapalm

Eh, I'm a huge JA fan...and amazingly, it's not the Real-Time-with-Pause thing that bothers me, so far (BE5, while tragically flawed, convinced me that RTWP can work).

What is keeping me from playing the game, right now, is that Back in Action, as a remake, has a whole laundry list of major features that they simply tore out.

1. No player-made characters. Totally unacceptable. On the official boards, the reason given was that they couldn't balance the game with vs a PC - a statement I have absolutely no sympathy for, as they didn't even include difficulty settings! Which leads to:

2. No @#$%ing settings. No SciFi mode, no difficulty, no mode or adjustments outside of when the pauses kick in.

3. The lack of destructable environments, a cover overlay, and any number of other features that JA2 had a decade ago.

Seriously, Devs, if you can't make a game that at least holds up to the most basic comparison to the features of a game from the '90s, go home.

Go big, or go home, mutha@#$%ers!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2011, 09:59 JoeNapalm

Of course they don't have an opinion, you git!

They haven't played the game, yet!

That's why people read reviews!

I trust player reviews as much as "professional" ones (which is to say, not at all), but they can still be of use to get an idea about a game you know nothing about.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

762 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo