Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Sales
30. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 14:13 JoeNapalm

It's an excellent game from what I've seen, the pc specific features missing doesn't mean they screwed u guys. If they'd gimped the MP side of the game by only giving unlocks to console players or something like that that would be different but you have the same product everyone else has...no?

No. The previous PC iterations all included those features. It does gimp the MP side of the game on the PC to axe dedicated servers.

And, while removing a laundry list of previously included (and currently standard in most PC games) features, they jacked up the price to the console level of $60.

They cut the features and upped the price, by their own admission, because they knew a lot of people would buy it anyway.

Much more money for many fewer features, and we're supposed to lap it up and beg for more? @#$% that.

I'm sure it's a great game on the PS3 or 360 - but don't expect people to be happy with what they did with the PC version, because it's simple greed at the consumer's expense.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer [Updated]
4. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Nov 18, 2009, 14:03 JoeNapalm

I think I may be the only person who couldn't get into The Witcher.

Not that I didn't like it - it just didn't hold my attention. I uninstalled when I caught myself thinking "well, it's supposed to be great...I guess I should play it."

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Sales
21. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 13:06 JoeNapalm

...Just waiting for the press release stating that the low percentage of PC sales justifies the missing features.

Oh, and too all of the idiots who are complaining about PC gamers complaining: Just because your platform of choice doesn't support features that we have come to take for granted, doesn't mean that those features shouldn't be supported. If they took features out of the game that you could have used, you'd be shouting the loudest.

I mean, seriously, it's 2009. Move beyond the "my platform can beat up your platform" bullshit and accept that some people just don't like consoles. It's a different environment - we've all tried it, some of us still prefer actual computers for our computer games. Currently, the industry hates that, because it impacts their ability to capitalize on their product. They make more money on consoles, it's easier to write for consoles, they control the hardware for consoles, they SELL the consoles...the list goes on.

But when a developer publishes a game for the PC and removes features that have been standard for PC games for ages? Yeah, PC gamers are going to be angry - and rightfully so. Borderlands, MW2, this is obviously the trend to just shaft the port and count the money.

If you're a console gamer and don't want to hear about it - well, too @#$%ing bad. It's a free country, and we're mad. When you were red ringing left and right, did PC gamers shout "STFU and buy a PC"? Doesn't even make sense.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
28. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 18, 2009, 10:11 JoeNapalm

Fair enough. Allow me to rephrase.

It wouldn't take them much effort to fix the !@#$ing interface to give PC users a reasonable amount of control over all of those things.

None of the tweaks are "critical" - but none of them would take them any significant amount of time to implement, and are things those with PCs should have.

I played through the entire game with the console FOV. It's uncomfortable, and wouldn't take very much to let the user tweak it. I don't have any tweaks in place for crouch or zoom - the way they work is fine for me...but there's no real reason NOT to let the player select that. Unskippable intro movies? On a PC? Seriously?

The bottom line is that Borderlands is a great game, but the console UI is insufficient for the PC. It's sheer laziness that they didn't ship it with a decent UI with a lot more flexibility, because the fixes are so insignificant to put in. (I know, because I've done it!)

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2009, 10:12.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
28. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 18, 2009, 09:47 JoeNapalm

I did Redcliffe without Wynne and without a dedicated healer...knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have even tried it, but it's not impossible.

Complete all the quests to get the town watch the best gear, the most fighters, and highest morale possible. There's only two main breaches in the barricades (there's a huge gap on the hill side, but the undead generally aren't smart enough to go around). Plug those holes with your most armored dudes, and then prioritize on keeping EVERYONE alive (including the watch). If you have enough bodies in the fight and concentrate your attacks, you can mow through the early waves - the enemies start coming in a little more sporadically later on.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

26. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 17, 2009, 15:47 JoeNapalm

I get the triage thing - I don't so much have a problem with them dealing with the serious issues first as much as the fact that it would take one guy less than an hour to make the same changes I have.

Hell, the community has already found the fixes - they just have to implement them.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

23. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 17, 2009, 14:46 JoeNapalm

Yeah, but nothing else seems to be low-grav. Just you jumping. Creatures and such don't jump like it's low-grav. It's just jarring since it feels different than everything else in the environment.

Fair enough. I never much paid attention to it. I thought, from digging through the config files [insert rant here] that the gravity was a global setting.

You can fix the floating by editing the .ini files. But you shouldn't HAVE to.

(Also, the FOV fix/hack makes it go wiggy every time I accelerate in a buggy, so I'm stuck with the damn console FOV settings. Bite me, Pitchford!)

Anyway. Love the game, hate what they did to the PC UI.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

18. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 17, 2009, 13:09 JoeNapalm

Yeah.. floaty jumping is weird... it's like playing low-grav UT or something.

Well, it is on another planet.

I just chalked it up to a low grav environment.

And yeah, it's a good game - I finished it solo and still play multiplayer...but seriously, all of the tweaks I've applied should have been fixed in the very first patch, and could have been with minimal effort.

If I can edit a few lines of the .ini to apply the fix, there's no reason they can't.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

2. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 17, 2009, 10:23 JoeNapalm

- Item cards now display the intended five lines of detail text

Hey, they fixed one of the five things that I had to edit for myself.

(Which means that I have to go back in and re-edit the other four.)

I suppose they expect the to thank them...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2009, 10:26.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
2. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Nov 16, 2009, 16:01 JoeNapalm

I think after I'm done with Dragon Age I will have to go back and give this another run-through.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Gearbox Passed on Blade Runner
8. Re: Gearbox Passed on Blade Runner Nov 16, 2009, 15:31 JoeNapalm

As much as I love Blade Runner and would love to see another game, I'm glad Gearbox passed. Probably would have screwed it up anyway.

You read my mind. Something in the theme of Bloodlines would be necessary to do this right...and even then I'm not sure you could really do it.

Bladerunner is holy ground to many geeks, myself included. Big risk - you think the hew and cry over Shadowrun was bad?

The only way it would work would be a thinking man's game - where trying to take on even a single Replicant mano y mano would likely result in getting your head torn off...

...and when's the last time someone published something like that?

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > New MW2 PC Petition
38. Re: New MW2 PC Petition Nov 16, 2009, 13:05 JoeNapalm

Stop having opinions...
Stop signing petitions...
Don't vote...
Don't bother trying to change anything because you as an individual are useless.
Just go with the flow.
A lot of smart fellows in this thread.

/quote

The petition requires an in-game name to sign it. Did you know that?

This is a petition for those who bought the game, knowing full well what the game lacked.

So now IW has their lunch money, and they're mad because they shelled out $60 bucks for a half-baked port. I guess an online petition is their only option, since they already cast their vote IN FAVOR by purchasing...however, they need to realize that there is no incentive for anyone to fix it, now, because they already got their payday.

The only viable solution? Stop buying bad ports. Yeah, it will require some impulse control. Yeah, you're going to miss some games that you THINK you want to play (keep in mind that they're @#$%#ed up ports, so you'll just be mad when they, in fact, suck).

But when something like this, a game that everyone KNOWS is a half-assed port and STILL is willing to pay even MORE for the privilege of getting fleeced because it's the next big thing? Yeah, you've just sent a message, loud and clear - "This is where the money is."

Me? I'm not signing the petition...because I can't, since I won't buy the stupid game. I've got tons of other good games on my plate right now...and maybe I'll go buy Torchlight, now, just to send another message.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2009, 13:14.

News Comments > New MW2 PC Petition
1. Re: New MW2 PC Petition Nov 16, 2009, 10:22 JoeNapalm

I've already signed my own petition by not spending my money on this crap.

Money talks.

(Yeah, I know, "biggest release evar!" But in a few weeks when their PC sales have totally tanked after the initial rush of foolish pre-orders, that might actually get their attention.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > GTA IV DLC to PC?
22. Re: GTA IV DLC to PC? Nov 10, 2009, 14:29 JoeNapalm

Yeah, I'm in the good GFX card and memory, but aging processor situation. Not in the cards, right now, to do a full system upgrade...and I uninstalled GTAIV awhile back due to being frustrated with the performance and crashing issues.

Maybe I'll give it another shot, someday...right now, there's just too much on the table.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > GTA IV DLC to PC?
4. Re: GTA IV DLC to PC? Nov 10, 2009, 10:50 JoeNapalm

Did they ever make this actually work on the PC?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Borderlands Console DLC This Month, PC "Later"
27. Re: Borderlands Console DLC This Month, PC Nov 10, 2009, 09:09 JoeNapalm

A fun game, as long as you're not expecting it to actually be an RPG, but more of "Diablo w/ Guns", as often stated.

That said, it is totally unacceptable the amount of tweaking and fixing I've had to do just to make this thing resemble what it should have been when I installed it.

Seriously - it would have taken them less than an hour to address all of the stuff I've had to fix in the .ini settings. As much as I love the game, that's a huge "@#$% YOU!" to PC gamers everywhere.

PC gaming isn't dying, it's being murdered.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > EA Layoffs?
14. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:03 JoeNapalm

The sad thing is that I actually recall when I actually liked EA.

Of course, I think I was playing Archon at the time...

EA puts out some decent games...they do...but they do so with such contempt for their customers that it's ludicrous. I don't understand how all of these companies can look at Blizzard and think that somehow the key to replicating their success is to clone their games.

Blizzard got to where it is today by understanding their customers and treating them as fellow gamers should. Not by spitting in their eye and then holding a hand out for more coin.

Idiots.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Tomorrow
42. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2009, 16:46 JoeNapalm

I will buy this because I like seeing terrorist die! Must have!

Yeah, cause this is the only game ever where you can do that.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Axed Shadowrun Video
17. Re: Axed Shadowrun Video Nov 6, 2009, 09:05 JoeNapalm

FASA took a shot and it didn't work out. Get over it.

The biggest losers in the whole overplayed issue are those that acted like whining little babies and missed out on what is probably one of the deepest and most polished tactical multiplayer shooters ever made.

So now this mockery was forged from pure awesome? The original (pre-console) R6 games and OpFlashpoint were tactical multiplayer shooters.

This, on the other hand, was a Vista and Xbox only FPS with autoaim.

The article in question refers to what might have been a good game, true to the source material. Complaining that someone took a great IP and took a huge steaming dump on it isn't the same as "whining" and refusing to play. I refuse to play not out of "sour grapes" but because the only means of communication I have with the game company is very boolean - pay or do not.

This is a lot like someone deciding to do "STAR WARS: The Musical!"

I wouldn't care if it was the best damn song and dance show ever made - I still wouldn't believe that it was true to the original.

The similarities between this game and Shadowrun were cosmetic, at best. It was yet another attempt to cash in by taking a mediocre (at best) game and slapping the face of a well-loved game over the top.

I still can't understand why some people insist on defending the worst practices of this whole money-grubbing industry. "IP Reboots" can (and have) been done well - this certainly wasn't one of them.

Out of curiosity, had you ever even PLAYED an actual game of Shadowrun? Or are you just a fan of the video game of the same name and coming to its defense without having a clue what you're talking about?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Axed Shadowrun Video
5. Re: Axed Shadowrun Video Nov 5, 2009, 15:21 JoeNapalm

When are these [CENSORED] going to [CENSORED] realize that if you take a [CENSORED] awesome IP and then [CENSORED] it up beyond all recognition, you're missing the whole [CENSORED] point?

You basically [CENSORED] old and new fans equally. You [CENSORED] the old fans by [CENSORED] the IP they know and love, and you [CENSORED] the new fans by serving them up a steaming platter of [CENSORED] instead of something that was already awesome until you [CENSORED] it all up.

Stop thinking you can make it better. If you could, you'd come up with something awesome all on your own. If you have to buy a [CENSORED] idea from someone else just so you can [CENSORED] it up, please just stop. Re-evaluate you roll in the food chain, get a different job, or whatever...but just [CENSORED] stop, already.

Thank you.

[CENSORED] idiots.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2009, 15:22.

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo