Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > On Mass Effect 2 Enemy Defenses
4. Re: On Mass Effect 2 Enemy Defenses Jan 7, 2010, 14:24 JoeNapalm

Complexity for complexity's sake isn't necessarily a good thing, either.

I mean, remember Sir Tech? They had some great games, but often they were a little detail heavy (the Star Trail games had you replacing your party member's boots when they wore out, and catching colds...whoo, high adventure!).

A good game should have enough depth to keep from getting boring, but not be so byzantine as to be frustrating - where the real problem comes in, obviously, is the target demographic gets pretty wide on these AAA titles - so you get DA where some people complain it's too hard while others scoff at its simplicity.

Which, honestly, most Devs would probably interpret as having struck the right balance.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Boxed Blood Bowl in NA Next Month
1. Re: Boxed Blood Bowl in NA Next Month Dec 29, 2009, 11:07 JoeNapalm

I picked this up on Steam, and may need an intervention.

If you're the type of person who likes to roll the ivories, I recommend giving this a look.

I'm currently running four or five single-player teams, and playing an equal number of teams online with my friends at every opportunity. (I do wish they made it possible to have two players with multiple teams in private leagues, but that's a minor complaint.)

[FULL DISCLOSURE: I have only tried the turn-based mode of the game. I have absolutely zero interest in even looking at the real-time mode. If your attention span precludes turn-based game play, you're probably not the target demographic. If you think that the singular of "dice" is "dice" and that 2D6 only makes sense in hex, this is not your game.]

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Drakensang: The River of Time German Demo
9. Re: Drakensang: The River of Time German Demo Dec 22, 2009, 10:09 JoeNapalm

Shame that people gave up before the end of the first 5 hours when the game finally broke open and became fun.

You mean it's a shame it takes five hours for the game to get fun?

I game this game a fair shake, but I'm guessing I didn't get to when it "finally became fun." I doubt I'll be going back, anytime soon...

Note to game designers - if you only have enough fun for part of the game, make it the FIRST part.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Jagged Alliance 3 Cancelled?
32. Re: JA3 Cancelled? Dec 22, 2009, 09:33 JoeNapalm

Wait. Mods that remove the stupid railguns from the non-SciFi mode of JA2?

Why haven't I been told about this before? Why?!

(Good lord...still playing DA, Blood Bowl, just got Torchlight for $10...like six other games in the queue that I got on ridiculous Steam sales...and now I have to go play JA2 again. That's it. I'm canceling Xmas.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Infinity Ward on MW2 Fixes
26. Re: Infinity Ward on MW2 Fixes Dec 18, 2009, 13:51 JoeNapalm

As games get more and more complex in code terms, the likliehood of bugs increases exponentially. Have you ever debugged code on multi-million line pieces of software? I doubt it.

Well, not to jump in here, but actually, yeah...I have. On a much smaller team than these guys have, I'm sure. Try it with just a handful of people when your clients will die in a fiery ball of death if you dropped the ball in testing, sometime.

Complexity always leads to bugs. If NASA have problems with space shuttle exploding after using a tried and tested design that they spent billions on, I think its laughable to assume that a PC or console game is going to ship with absolutely zero issues. Especially on PCs where every single shipped piece of hardware is subtely different.
But I'm sure that just arrogance, and you can do a MUCH better job with your ninja game development skills no?

I respect you and your work, cliffski - but what smacks of arrogance is the assumption that nobody who plays these games understands how to write code, or the complex issues involved. The level of disdain for the customer in this industry (PC gaming in particular) has reached a very sad high water mark.

Comparing a game to safety critical systems is silly. You know damn well companies ship games with known bugs - try that with avionics and see what happens.

It's true that you cannot possibly fully test any reasonably complex body of code. But to ship a product fully aware that there will be critical issues and just walk away - that's poor customer support.

Yeah, game developers work hard, and I won't argue that these guys didn't feel like they deserved a break - but there's a software lifecycle that includes supporting a product after launch, and this ain't it.

Anybody who argues that IW didn't just cash in on PC users who were foolish enough to buy this crap because of the title - with absolutely NO intentions of providing anything other than a half-assed port - while at the same time jacking up the price tag, simply because they knew they could...well, if anyone still believes that, they've not been paying attention.

Glad I read the writing on the wall, and dodged this one. Will be a cold day when I buy anything else these guys put out, either.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: RE: Why you don't have freedome of speech in WoW Dec 17, 2009, 13:02 JoeNapalm

If you go into someone's place of business and start spouting racial slurs or insults at people there, the owner is either gonna call the police or have someone large throw you out on your ass.

Well said. People want to use the 1st Amendment to say that people can't tell them to shut up and stop being a tool...which isn't what the 1st Amendment means at all.

The 1st Amendment says that the Goverment can't tell you to shut up and stop being a tool in a public area. If you are on private property (and yes, Azeroth is private property - they built it, they own the servers, they own all content therein, including your precious gnome Warlock or whatever) the owner of that property has every right to tell you too stop being a tool, and boot your ass to the curb should you persist.

If Nazis (going straight to Godwin's Law) want to come and hold a rally on the courthouse steps, their right to do so is protected. If Nazis want to hold a rally on your lawn or in your place of business, your right to tell them to shut up or get out is protected.

You can't use the Constitution to curb the rights of everyone else just because it would mean you have to shut up.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 13:03.

News Comments > On Microtransactions
1. Re: On Microtransactions Dec 4, 2009, 10:10 JoeNapalm

Well, since you asked...

Greedy @#$%ers figured out people are stupid enough to pay for stuff that used to be free.

Not sure who I'm more ticked off at - the greedy @#$%ers, the people who buy horse armor...or myself, for paying for DA DLC in spite of myself.

*shakes fist at the uncaring skies*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 2: The Shooter
2. Re: Mass Effect 2: The Shooter Dec 3, 2009, 16:56 JoeNapalm

I'm with you, nin...

(Unfortunately, that little voice in the back of my head is screaming "It's a TRAP!")

((It could be talking about something else, entirely, though...hard to say, with all the gibbering.))

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Dec 3, 2009, 16:54 JoeNapalm

What the author is saying is that those games fit your definition of linear - they just conceal it by offering a wide-angle view of things.

In GTAIV, for example, the core missions will always be the same, no matter how many times you play. In a truly "open" environment, such as the Terminator game he references, the game actually has no fixed, linear set of objectives that must be accomplished in a set order.

Neither agreeing or disagreeing with the article, merely clarifying.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Free WAR Transfers
3. Re: Free WAR Transfers Dec 3, 2009, 14:49 JoeNapalm

I understand the desire to swing for the fences, here, but with such a great IP, why oh WHY would you go up against WoW? Blizzard has consistently ripped off Warhammer and made a freakin' mint...but they didn't build it out of nothing. They did it by taking a great IP and making great games, time and again.

With what they did with WAR, they could have spent less money and made a single-player or limited multiplayer that would have rivaled Dragon Age...instead they got greedy, then dropped the ball.

What a waste.

-Jn-
Skaven Enthusiast

News Comments > WAR Novel Released
3. Re: WAR Novel Released Dec 3, 2009, 14:38 JoeNapalm

Uhm. Okay...

There's dozens of Warhammer books already out there...What's the difference between a Warhammer book and a Warhammer:Online book?

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > On PC AvP
14. Re: On PC AvP Dec 3, 2009, 14:27 JoeNapalm

The Aliens in AVP2 would be pretty much impossible to control via a gamepad. Too fast, and way too much precision required.

Multiplayer in that game was largely about skill - which sounds obvious, until you start to really analyze most "mainstream" AAA titles. Things like "cone of fire" and aim-assist (or in this case, "jump assist") and all that other crap are implemented to level the playing field, to introduce enough random noise into the system so even a really hopeless player can get lucky often enough to keep pushing the buttons and getting his little reward pellets.

I never played the first one, but in AVP2 you had to know your strengths and weaknesses, and finesse really paid dividends.

A game of AVP2 with my friends invariably went like this:
"Dude, the Predator is like cheating. Why? You're freakin' INVISIBLE, that's why. Stop being a sissy and killing me with the Predator, be a man and play something hard, like the Alien. WTF? Oh God...oh GOD! I can hear you, but...where...that's impossible! That's inside the room! Oh GOD GET IT OFF! GET IT OOOOOFF!! AAAAAAUUUUGH!!! *whimper* Dude! Uncool. Seriously. Stop. Never again. Stop playing the Alien! Either turn the lights on and sit still so I can cook you with a flamethrower, or just stop being the Alien! You said you don't like being the Marine, so you have to play the Marine. No. I'm not playing if you don't play the Marine. Okay? Okay. Fine. Good. WTF happened? Why am I dead. Wha - but I was...hey! Wait! No! Hey! I thought you said you didn't LIKE the Marine? WTF do you mean 'because it's too easy'? Dude. Seriously. If you don't play the Predator, I'm quitting. Just...just be the Predator, okay?"

Ah, good times.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 14:58.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details
16. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 13:45 JoeNapalm

I'm waiting for code wheels to come back in vogue.

And, yeah, ME2 has my interest. The first one had some obvious warts due to its console heritage (for instance, the tremendously repetitive side quests) but - all in all - great fun.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > More WAR Servers Closing
4. Re: More WAR Servers Closing Nov 25, 2009, 13:28 JoeNapalm

On one hand, this makes me sad. Warhammer & WH40K deserve some recognition, and it's depressing to see Blizzard rolling in filthy filthy lucre when they basically flat-out ripped off Warcraft and Starcraft from the WH and 40K universe.

Also, in a land of WoW-clones, WAR actually has some really innovative features as far as open-world group quests and such. Interesting to see the incestious clone of the WH rippoff actually coming up with some really good ideas.

On the other hand, whoever decided that WAR needed a metric $#%@-ton of new servers right after launch? That person/committee/mouthbreather is a bloody idiot. I mean, that's really sugar-coating it - that was incredibly stupid, and is probably one of the leading causes of their inevitable demise.

Ah well.

I'll refrain from the rant about how they're further defiling the spirit of WFRP by putting out a totally unnecessary 3rd Edition. The 1st Edition was nearly perfect, and an inspiration for much of the improvements made in 3e D&D - the 2nd Edition of WFRP was just polishing the diamond from the rough...after something like 15 years...and now they're puking out a 3rd Edition to try to milk it.

I guess I didn't refrain very well.

There is no Edgar.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 13:29.

News Comments > New Dragon Age: Origins DLC Plans
45. Re: New Dragon Age: Origins DLC Plans Nov 20, 2009, 09:55 JoeNapalm

Yeah, the Warrior abilities are meh. I almost took them, anyway (two mediocre abilities are better than none) - but they're obviously Blood Magic, which...correct me if I'm wrong...is bad. *Grin*

The one makes blood actually spray out of you like some sort of demented lawn sprinkler, slowly bleeding you out but increasing your speed and damage. The other causes you to sort of erupt into a blood nova, knocking back wimpy foes.

I figured that the other Templars wouldn't let me play their Templar games if I were leaking demonic blood magic from my pores. (And yeah, I know that Grey Wardens are technically using Blood Magic simply by being Grey Wardens, but whatever.)

My next playthrough is going to be a City Elf who's pissed off and not gonna take it anymore - he'll be using all the Blood Magic he can find.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Champions Online Event and Free Weekend Plans
8. Re: Champions Online Event and Free Weekend Plans Nov 19, 2009, 15:30 JoeNapalm

crappy MMO

tldr

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

17. Re: New Dragon Age: Origins DLC Plans Nov 19, 2009, 15:11 JoeNapalm

Still, Warden's Keep is worth it for the abilities alone.

Would you believe I actually passed on the abilities? I'm trying to make my first playthrough as a "good guy" and the Warrior abilities seemed...well, lets face it, your Templar probably shouldn't be spewing demon blood out of all his orifices. It upsets the other Templars.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

11. Re: New Dragon Age: Origins DLC Plans Nov 19, 2009, 14:40 JoeNapalm

the freedom in this game is a weak illusion, you're on rails

It's a pretty good illusion, so far. I'm doing the quests/areas/dungeons in the order I want. Sure, the areas have restricted movement, to a point, but that's a matter of scope - the DA world simply isn't as large as, say, Morrowind.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer [Updated]
16. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Nov 18, 2009, 16:32 JoeNapalm

I was like you guys. I started playing it and stopped after 1-2 hours, TWICE, before the third time (when the enhanced version came out) finally hooked me. You really have to get a few hours into the game before everything starts to flow.

Thanks, Unknown Soldier - I'll give it another try, based on that.

After DA and Torchlight.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
16. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Nov 18, 2009, 16:03 JoeNapalm

That's the most sane and in all ways best "Top 10" I've seen in a long time...especially the top 5.

Dragon Age is challenging, but hasn't frustrated me. Once I learned to start micromanaging my Mage (using Wynne, Alistair, and the Bard chick with my S&B warrior) things got significantly more survivable.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo