Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 14:52 JoeNapalm

Yeah, I'm playing it (*ducks for cover from the hail of rotten vegetables*).

I mostly don't notice it - you can go almost vertical, you just can't roll over the top.

It is a little annoying, but it does maintain the atmosphere of the game a bit more - you see the Enterprise making big banking turns, not barrel rolls.

Just because you didn't see it happen, doesn't mean it didn't.

True, but they've got a ton of material (how many movies and TV show episodes) establishing how spacecraft maneuver in this setting. I think it's reasonable that the game mimics this. You don't roll over the top, but you can do a steep bank that is nearly the same thing while maintaining the look and feel of the ships in the shows and movies.

While I have occasionally (maybe two or three times) found it annoying, it I can understand why they did it, and even think it was probably the right call.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 13:28 JoeNapalm

(as they do when you see them in the show)

I think you just explained why it is that way.

It would by nice to have the extra axis of movment, but when in Star Trek have you ever seen two ships out of orientation with one another?

The Defiant maybe, but that's it.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

News Comments > Virtual Egg Hatches Almost $70K
4. Re: Virtual Egg Hatches Almost $70K Feb 5, 2010, 13:23 JoeNapalm

$70 large?

Are you kidding?

Do you have any idea how many games I could get with that?

(Not to mention the rig I could build!)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity
36. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 10:32 JoeNapalm

Actually, this has been the smoothest launch of an MMO that I've ever seen. The servers dropped a couple of times during the head-start period ("It's like an out of town premiere"), they addressed it, and (other than scheduled maintenance) I haven't seen any downtime since the game went officially live.

I'm pretty burned out on MMOs, but having fun with this on (no one is more surprised than me). It doesn't fit the WoW-clone formula. It's a lot closer to playing Starfleet Command in a persistent setting than playing WorldEverLordoftheDungeonQuestCraft or whatever the latest clone is.

Does it have the pure and unequaled polish and detail that WoW does? The epic complexity of EVE? No...but they obviously learned a thing or two about launch day. From my perspective, it was seamless.

Certainly not everyone's cup o' tea (and yeah, Cryptic/Atari are greedy bastards) but a lot of the venom in here is a bit unfounded. If you hate it, cool - I think L4D2 and Modern Warfare 2 are bad games, and I never tried them...people enjoy different things.

This is more of a hop in and blast a few Orion pirates and Birds of Prey (yes, at the earliest levels, it's mostly a turning fight, but it gets more involved as you advance), not a grind until you cry kind of game. I think people are right in that the initial rush will fade (people powerleveled to Admiral in no time) but that happens with every MMOG after the Powergamers move on. I think there's a core that will stick with this one, and without a divided population like WAR (where they gorged themselves then starved because they weren't scalable) it might just stick around awhile.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale
26. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 11:56 JoeNapalm

I am trying this out entirely as an impulsive thing, after having decided to pass. Ran into one of my old Guild mates from the Good Old Days, who's opinion I trust, and they gave me a little nudge...(which is like setting a bottle of 25 year old scotch in front of an alcoholic, really)...and the result was fairly predictable.

While I will not defend Cryptic's approach to charging for stuff that should be in the game (extra races cross the line - uniforms and even novelty ships, fine, but playable races? Gah. Put it in the game), I think people are being a little harsh on the game itself.

Marketing aside, it's far from perfect, and of course it's not the Holodeckesque fantasy that all Trekkies seem to think it should be, based on diplomacy and dramatic character arcs. Then again - how much diplomacy has been seen in most MMOs? MMOGs have some fairly stringent limitations imposed by their very nature...while I'd love to see something like AOC's Tortage throughout this entire game, I don't think it's realistic to think They'd spend that kind of money (even if They had it) on a game that's inherently risky by deviating from the WoW-clone mold.

In defense of the game, space combat is fun and has more depth than is immediately apparent. Ground combat is more simplistic, but not significantly moreso than your average MMO. They throw enough bad guys at you, most of the time, to keep you busy, and even sometimes requiring you to think tactically...it's not awe inspiring, but it's not entirely awful, either.

Where Cryptic/Atari are kinda shooting themselves in the foot is touting features that are really nothing more than bullet-points, which only highlights where they had to cut down some of the early ambitions of the design. For instance, I CAN walk around on the Bridge of my ship - but I can't DO anything there. Probably not something they should highlight as a feature.

It's not the MMOG successor to Bridge Commander, but anyone who expected that is maybe a bit unrealistic. To make the game that everyone really wants, they'd need to be Blizzard, and they're not. They'd have to want to cater to a very narrow demographic, which they don't.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't want to like this game, and it doesn't live up to the Geek daydream of what it should be, but what is there is more fun than it really should be, so it sort of evens out. I'll probably play it long enough to get my money's worth out of it.

(That is, until Cryptic starts charging me to make new characters, or interest at the in-game bank, or something...)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > LucasArts Prez on Future Plans
14. Re: LucasArts Prez on Future Plans Jan 29, 2010, 16:08 JoeNapalm

KOTOR 3 and XWing sims are the only fucking thing they need to work on.

Look, people - open your eyes! It's the Sith.

The only plausible explanation for the behavior of Lucasarts is the fact...the cold, heartless fact...that Lucas has either been replaced with an evil replica, assimilated (Lucas of Borg?), or has actually gone over to the Dark Side.

Having made more money than Croesus, Lucas no longer cares about making a profit. All that matters to him now is crushing the human spirit. He feeds off your despair!

If you have BOTH the Star Wars and Indiana Jones rights, and you haven't put out a good game in like ten years? C'mon, man! I'm not buying it!

@#$%ing Sith.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround
30. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 CTD Workaround Jan 29, 2010, 13:25 JoeNapalm

Meh. Battlefield 3, please.

(Or better yet, a real R6 game, like back when they were a tactical shooter.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Blood Bowl Ships in NA
1. Re: Blood Bowl Ships in NA Jan 28, 2010, 14:08 JoeNapalm

I got this on Steam awhile back...

If you're at all into turn-based/tabletop stuff, this is a great game.

(If you don't know that 2D6 means, on the other hand...you should probably avoid.)

It's surprisingly deep, for what it is. And since it's a faithful adaptation of the tabletop rules, it is very well balanced...none of the usual thrashing about that most multiplayer games seem to experience, these days.

I do wish the online League system was more robust, but it's functional.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator Multiplayer Modes
4. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Multiplayer Modes Jan 28, 2010, 10:50 JoeNapalm

The Alien movement is also quite slow.....

If that is the case, it doesn't bode well.

Slowing the Aliens down to compensate for controller short-comings will only lead to weaker Marine weapons. Auto-aim for Marines will reduce the tech advantage for Predators. It's just a cascade-effect that we see so often in game balancing.

In the end, the atmosphere will go from fast-and-lethal to it taking a full clip of ammo to drop an Alien, who is in turn having to slug it out in close-quarters instead of killing in the blink of an eye.

Hope I'm wrong.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SyFy Star Trek Online Preorders
5. Re: SyFy Star Trek Online Preorders Jan 27, 2010, 09:32 JoeNapalm

SyFy.

I still think that's silly bullshit.

I think that the guy who thought this up - and the committee of freakin' idiots that thought it was a good idea - should all be marooned on an iceberg.

(Preferably in a nice warm current in the middle of the Pacific.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Trek Online End of Beta Event
3. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Jan 26, 2010, 15:06 JoeNapalm

Inquiring minds want to know.

It would be great to hear that this is the game everyone is jonesing for - I really don't get what's so hard about making a Star Trek game that doesn't suck.

(Wanted to check out the "open" beta, but there's no way I'm preordering a game to get into a beta.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication
26. Re: Piracy Jan 26, 2010, 14:54 JoeNapalm

So if the game is good buried under enough hype, people buy it anyway.

There, I fixed it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

4. Re: Game Reviews Jan 26, 2010, 11:35 JoeNapalm

As someone who wasn't overly impressed with the mechanics of the first game (great story, shitty combat, inventory, and exploration), I have no problem with the changes made.

I haven't tried it (no demo) but it looks like they took your list and did this:

(great story, shitty combat, inventory, and exploration)

"There! Fixed it!"

Hopefully I am way off...but I have my doubts.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

1. Re: Game Reviews Jan 26, 2010, 11:15 JoeNapalm

So ME2 hasn't been "dumbed down"...it's been "intellectually de-enhanced" with an integrated DLC conduit.

Great.

Glad I didn't pre-order. Maybe it'll be on a cheap Steam sale in a year or two.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Gamer Rehab Interview
10. Re: Gamer Rehab Interview Jan 26, 2010, 09:28 JoeNapalm

Here's a rehab program for you - tell your kid he can't play Modern Warfare 2 until he's done with his homework and has helped clean up from dinner.

Please make your check payable to "Joe Napalm, Esq." Thanks.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Interview
9. Re: Mass Effect 2 Interview Jan 26, 2010, 09:14 JoeNapalm

i rather dislike this fad anyway. the collector's edition items i got for dragon age were so good i never used anything else my whole game, and that's kind of retarded.

Agreed. I actually refrained from pre-ordering to avoid the temptation of uber-loot. I'm already going to have DA Blood Dragon armor in ME2 - which is all kinds of screwed up. (Kind of like that guy in camp asking me to purchase "Premium Content!" to save his family name. Yeah, that helps the immersion.)

Pretty soon it will be "Pre-Order NOW for EXCLUSIVE GOD-MODE!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Trek Online Beta Patched
3. Re: When does this beta exactly end? Jan 21, 2010, 13:12 JoeNapalm

According to the site, January 26th.

I wish I had the time to give this a try. Maybe this weekend?

Don't have a lot of energy for MMOGs these days - I tend to play them like a madman for a month, then stop and (out loud) ask myself "What the Hell am I doing? I'm renting a Skinner box...for myself."

Then I never log in, again.

*sigh*

One day, someone will have the guts to really break the WoW mold. They'll fail spectacularly, for certain - probably before they get backing - but one can live in hope.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Doctor Who and Top Gear Games?
1. Re: Doctor Who and Top Gear Games? Jan 21, 2010, 13:01 JoeNapalm

Oh, the cruel vagaries of Fate (and Marketing goons).

To make a Doctor Who game - but target it at the Twilight demographic!

*Shakes his fist at the uncaring skies*

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 13:03.

News Comments > Huge RPG Bundle for Charity
5. Re: Huge RPG Bundle for Charity Jan 21, 2010, 12:58 JoeNapalm

Pen n Paper RPG, but still neat.!

There, I fixed it for you.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Free Game with AvP Prepurchase
8. Re: Free Game with AvP Prepurchase Jan 20, 2010, 09:50 JoeNapalm

Don't forget the promise of dedicated servers, as well.

But yeah, will take advantage of the demo.

It's too bad the days of "no demo, no sale" are pretty much dead.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo