Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Infinity Ward Heads Axed?
37. Re: Infinity Ward Heads Axed? Mar 2, 2010, 14:54 JoeNapalm

That Guy wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 14:36:
No strong feelings here one way or the other. I continue to enjoy MW2 on the 360. Both sides of the ded server issue have merit. No easy answers there. If you look at the prevailing market for games, developing for the console market is simply a no-brainer.

If greed is the only driving motive, then yeah.

I realize game makers/publishers are in business to make money, but there was a time when love of the game also played a factor. Blizzard built an empire on it (and, of course, now are owned by Activition...*sigh*).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 2, 2010, 14:17 JoeNapalm

ActionTrip's STO review is a bit more balanced than most others I've read. Doesn't paint it all roses, but I'd say it's fair...and that they obviously played the game for more than a couple of hours (a big improvement over the aforementioned other reviews).

I'm torn about his last sentence - stupid character/ship names in STO annoy me to no end...I mean, come on the game will make up a decent name for you - if I see another "Locutus", "USS Serenity", or "Luke Skywalker" I may actually hurl...but USS Pork Chop Express plays the Big Trouble in Little China card, so I may have to give him a pass.

You know...from the hurling.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: 14 Stars 'shockingly' never won Oscars Mar 2, 2010, 13:38 JoeNapalm

PHJF wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 11:55:
Benny, Bring me everyone.

EVERRRRRYYYYOOOOOONNNNEEEEE

"I haven't got time for this Mickey Mouse bull@#$%!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ships, Day One Patch Released
2. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ships, Day One Patch Released Mar 2, 2010, 12:29 JoeNapalm

The problem/brilliance of Steam is...by the time I get to about the third sentence of that (fairly frequent) exchange, it's already bought and downloading.

*shakes fist at the uncaring skies*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates
2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 14:32 JoeNapalm

I would have expected nothing less - they have one of the most richly detailed IPs ever created at their disposal.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, though - the chances of this being a basically re-skinned WoW clone are astronomically high.

Even the direction they're taking the art seems to be designed to sooth the average WoW player into an incrementally different environment.

Hope I'm wrong - this has so much potential - but, let's face it, Star Wars has a long history of buckling under to the marketing goons (Prequels, I'm looking at you).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Feb 26, 2010, 14:24 JoeNapalm

Beamer - yeah, I know that. Not what I said.

Verno - You got what I said, but apparently I'm still wrong. *Grin* I stand corrected.

And I agree that it's no huge conspiracy vs gamers. MS could give a crap about any of their consumers - they just want total market dominance across the board (at the consumer's expense, if that's what works).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 26, 2010, 12:59 JoeNapalm

Sounds a lot like AvP has realized my fears.

Particularly with the consolification of the damage model. Why is it that one-shot kills have become taboo? They worked just fine in
AvP2 - any of the three races could kill any of the other three in an instant, if they presented the opportunity.

It made the game exciting - and yes, sometimes a bit frustrating (if you happened to suck, or just be totally outclassed).

The long-term trend of making everything take 50 rounds to drop someone, insta-heal, etc, just serve to level the playing field, and make it so that if you suck or are skilled, it really just doesn't matter as much.

I guess I get it - the broadest demographic rakes in the most money - but it ends up really just draining the life out of everything.

I guess I'll keep supporting the Knights Errant of the bygone golden age of gaming, the Indy developers who still care about the game more than the bloody marketing.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 26, 2010, 12:48 JoeNapalm

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 11:14:
Not every Windows user is a gamer, but EVERY Xbox user is a gamer.

Digital Trends makes a lousy editorial there.

Maybe not, but at the time MS decided to come out with the Xbox, there were a heck of a lot of people who only owned a PC for gaming...and almost all of those PC were running Windows.

MS did kinda shoot themselves in the foot - but they did it for the same reason that MS does a lot of things that appear (on the surface) to not make sense...to control the market.

When IBM created the PC, they didn't control the platform. MS wanted to control both the software and the hardware for basically all gaming, and Xbox was their attempt. Now almost all AAA titles have to pay MS for development on their proprietary system architecture, whereas before any yahoo could code a PC game and MS never got a cut.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 26, 2010, 09:34 JoeNapalm

Arkham Asylum and DiRT2 are both great games. I picked them up on Steam when they were on sale.

If you don't have Mount & Blade, 85% off is steal. It's another one of the niche games that I appear to be on a crusade for, lately, but I got it awhile back (you could actually pay for it during beta for cheap to help support the tiny production team) and it's some of the best gaming money I've spent in ages, hour for dollar.

(Try the demo, though, cause not everyone's into the medieval hack-n-slash simulator thing.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
6. Re: Borderlands Patch Feb 26, 2010, 09:07 JoeNapalm

This game should be taught in schools as an example of how hard some people will work to really @#$% up a good thing.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer
4. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer Feb 25, 2010, 16:43 JoeNapalm

Did...did you expect WoW?

I guess the difference between Klingons and Orcs could be confusing to some. Vulcans have pointy elfin ears, and Ferengi are vaguely...ever so vaguely...goblinoid.

But then there's the focus on combat between interstellar starships.

And the entirely different genre.

Oi.

Having recently become involved in two different MMOs with settings that are about as unWoW as you can possibly get, I still wonder what the "But...it's not WoW!?!?" crowd expected to see when they logged in a post-Apocalyptic or high SF game setting?

Again, not even remotely suggesting that the games have WoW's obviously industry re-defining polish - but about 1 in 5 of the complaints I've heard have been the "not WoW" shtick.

(Heck, after six years of WoW and shameless clones, I consider that a bloody bullet point.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > OSX Steam Coming?
24. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 11:32 JoeNapalm

Seriously? OS wars? Still?

It's the 21st century, and humans are still jumping around thumping their chests like the primates they are.

Yes, your tribe can beat up their tribe. Or OS. Or preferred gaming platform. Or whatever.

*rolls eyes*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Game Reviews - STO Feb 24, 2010, 12:13 JoeNapalm

Look at the screen shot from the STO review - the dude is an LC1, meaning he hasn't exactly delved into the depths of the game. Would you play WoW to Level 11 and then write a review saying the game lacked tactical depth?

The game isn't perfect, far from it, but most of these reviews are obviously criticizing the whole game based on the newbie experience...it's pretty easy at that level, but you'd kind of expect it to be. Yeah, the game is pretty shallow and there's not a ton of tactics...when you're in a Tier 1 ship with just a couple of actions at your disposal.

I haven't invested a huge amount of time, but I'm a Commander (mid-20s, level equivalent) and the space combat has become a lot more engaging, and the folks I know who are Admirals (40+) say it just gets better.

Is the game less than it could have been? Yeah, you bet. But they should base the criticism on it's actual flaws, rather than the tutorial.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders
2. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 15:48 JoeNapalm

That, and SHIV was such a buggy PoS at launch that you'd have to be mad to preorder this one.

A friend of mine just recently reinstalled SHIV and said it was mostly ironed out now...but it's been what? Three years?

It may have been stable for awhile - I wouldn't know, I gave up after about the third patch that ignored most of the game-breakers.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2010, 13:20 JoeNapalm

For reasons unclear Infinity Ward was the first developer to apply a level system to an online FPS with the tried-and-true RPG model of greater perks and abilities.

Uh...what?

I'm pretty sure Planetside and BF2 were online FPSs with an RPG style level progression. Modern Warfare didn't invent it.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
10. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 13:10 JoeNapalm

I must be in the minority (again) - I liked DOW2. The lack of base building didn't really bother me. The original DOW single player campaign, for me, became a routine of setting up the same build tree over and over until you got to where you could deploy Terminators - at which point you just crushed everything under an armored heel.

The game was really more about building than fighting. I mean, WH40K shouldn't be about building a barracks. It should be about Space Marines making xenos into a gory stew.

The RTS elements are really just bolted on over the real WH40K, anyway. I'd like to see something true to the tabletop roots, like Cyanide did with Blood Bowl.

I kind of enjoyed the more RPG feel of DOW2.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X3: Gold Edition
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - X3: Gold Edition Feb 20, 2010, 13:29 JoeNapalm

Kajetan wrote on Feb 20, 2010, 04:20:
X2 und X3, nice looking as they are, they don't worked for me as a game. Theye were more work than entertainment, with all this clunky and overly complicated interface.

Yeah, I really really wanted to love X3.

But it really felt like a little too much on the work-to-fun ratio.

I think if I had had more time to sink into it, I could have been hooked, but it needed to have just a little better balance to keep me there.

I have that problem with some games that are probably awesome (The Witcher, I'm looking at you) - if I have to make a huge up-front investment of my time to get to the point where I'm hooked, you're probably going to lose me. There are a TON of great games out there, and I just don't have the time to sink a couple weeks worth of my fun time into every one of them to find out which are diamonds in the rough.

(And I give a LOT of games that are rough around the edges their due, believe me...but those games have something that keeps me playing long enough to see their brilliance.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Bodycount
4. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Bodycount Feb 12, 2010, 14:10 JoeNapalm

28 Billion?

I call hax.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer
13. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 09:15 JoeNapalm

cliffski wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 04:41:
A tale in the desert

Yup, the only MMO that seems to have anything original about it is Eve, and that is overcomplex and still a bit of a level grind. Still one day maybe something new will come along...

Fallen Earth is daring to be different. I love it, but at the same time I can see why it's almost totally under the radar. I think a lot of people cry for an MMO that isn't a WoW clone, but when they try something different, they complain that it's not what they expect.

I like STO, but I think with just a BIT more depth it could have been truly great. I still play, but it's more of a "hop on for an hour and play a few sectors" than the mad dash for Admiral that most of my Fleet seems to be engaged in.

I think anyone who powerlevels in STO is going to be pretty underwhelmed when they get to end game, because it's just not finished, yet. Happens in most MMOGs, really.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Fallen Earth Patched
5. Re: Fallen Earth Patched Feb 11, 2010, 11:40 JoeNapalm

I just took the plunge and signed up, yesterday...about halfway through my 10-day trial. Certainly not a mass-market, appeal to the broadest (lowest) demographic, dumbed down for the mouth-breathers sort of game.

I won't say that this game doesn't have some warts and speed bumps. It has the steepest learning curve I seen this side of a hard-core sim (remember when we used to get bound manuals with Jane's sims? Ah, those were the days), and the interface is pretty rudimentary, at times. The game also lacks several of the amenities we've come to take for granted (respec and fast travel being the most immediate concerns, in my opinion).

That said, I just signed up, despite having just sworn off MMOs forever, already having another MMO violating that oath, and a plate full of games from the Steam Xmas madness.

And get this - this game has me crafting. Amazing. Outside of my Goblin Engineer Troll Rogue from the bygone days of WoW, I loathe in-game crafting systems. Yet I spent all night (way past a reasonable hour, at least) gathering bits of scrap metal and cloth (amazing what they used to bury people with, before the Apocalypse), and my character is pretty much using all self-made gear (save for one pistol he found (made himself another to match) and a pair of moccasins that he took of a raider...they just fit so nice!).

I dunno. This is the Firefly of MMOs. I hope they have better luck.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

EDIT: PS - To avoid the inevitable confusion - the Firefly thing is an analogy. I realize this is not the Firefly vaporware MMOG.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 11:46.

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo