Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Patched
4. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Patched Mar 22, 2010, 16:44 JoeNapalm

Yeah, the default (unless this changes it) is to search with no filters set, which it kicks off automatically when you bring up the server list.

So the first thing probably 90% (I'd like to think) of people do is hit CANCEL. Great interface design.

Of course, maybe I'm the minority in that I always use the filters. I mean, why would I EVER want to see empty or full servers? I suppose there's scenarios where it makes sense...for instance, if I wanted to reconfigure the screwed up helo controls without killing anyone else...but the vast majority of the time, I only want to see servers I can join, preferably with a ping under 70 (which there should be a filter for, by the way).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battle vs Chess Announced
4. Re: Battle vs Chess Announced Mar 13, 2010, 15:43 JoeNapalm

Fuzzmatang wrote on Mar 13, 2010, 15:02:
Archon?

Yes, please!

(I still have the original, complete with white floppy disk and packaging. Too bad I don't have any 5.25" drives, anymore!)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2010, 15:41 JoeNapalm

Bucky wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 22:11:
I've heard too many good things about Arkham Asylum to pass it up. Just Cause was a bonus, though I only picked it up because the bundle is cheaper than Arkham Asylum alone.

Arkham Asylum was really well done. Very much conveyed that "I'm Batman!" feel, and even the Arena modes were sort of entertaining in a "I'm beating the pulp out of fifty dudes" kind of way.

Here's hoping there's more content for it, down the road, or at least a sequel.

(Oh, and the battle damage to your armor as you progress through the game is a really nice touch...)

Is Just Cause worth it? I'm hearing a lot of excitement for the sequel, but the first one never really popped up on my radar...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > DiRT 3 Confirmed
6. Re: DiRT 3 Confirmed Mar 13, 2010, 14:20 JoeNapalm

All I know is that DiRT2 is a ton of fun...nothing like screaming down a narrow muddy canyon road at 150mph and giving the guy in front of you just a leeeeetle nudge to encourage them out of your way (preferably into the way of a 15-ton boulder).

Happy to hear there will be another sequel.

Man...I'm gonna have to go home and get my Subaru muddy, now.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Trek Online Update Plans
6. Re: Star Trek Online Update Plans Mar 13, 2010, 12:53 JoeNapalm

Wallshadows,

It depends on what you're looking for. I'm enjoying STO, but as a hop-in-for-an-hour-or-two-here-and-there kind of thing. If you want to rush through to the endgame...yeah, you're probably going to burn through everything and then wonder why there's nothing left to do.

I've been playing since the head-start, and I'm still playing it over higher-rated games, but I'm certain that's because I'm taking my time and not playing to grind or anything.

I think the game has a lot of things to hammer out, still - obviously pushed out the door too early - but give it a look, sometime. There's a 10-day free trial, but I dunno if you need a buddy to send it to you or if anyone can do it...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

[EDIT - Mind you, the C-Store crap in that update does steam me. I've already paid for a subscription - this microtransaction BS has got to stop! I know it's just for "extra cool stuff!" but damn, I paid for the game, I paid for a subscription, WTF?]

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2010, 14:43.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Patched
13. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 11, 2010, 15:41 JoeNapalm

LittleMe wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 09:33:

What is weak sauce is your ability there to comprehend irony.

Irony...such as someone unjustly accused of trollish behavior responding by behaving like a troll?

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

PS - I don't like the term "troll" in this sense...I mean, Trolls really get the short end of the PR stick as it is...and most of them don't get internet (unless they tap into the cables under the bridge).

News Comments > More BC2 VIP DLC This Month
19. Re: More BC2 VIP DLC This Month Mar 11, 2010, 13:51 JoeNapalm

necrosis wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 13:27:
Ahh yes. Pay for what was once free.

Early on in the thread, this could be forgiven...

...but at #17 it's pretty obvious you're not paying any attention whatsoever.

I know it's shocking that something coming from EA could be anything but lose/lose, but in fact - this time they're doing the RIGHT THING.

Take a deep breath. The vertigo should pass shortly. It's just your brain acclimating to Bizzaro World.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Valve's Mac Plans Announced
18. Re: Valve's Mac Plans Announced Mar 8, 2010, 15:25 JoeNapalm

Mac users always want to say "Fuck MS" when they fail to realize that MS has pushed computing and gaming forward farther than anything Mac's have done. The only thing Apple did was ignite the fire with the wonderful Apple IIe series of systems. After that they have utterly failed miserably.

I generally try to rise above the pointless banality of OS Wars...but Apple has failed to do anything for computers and gaming?

Yeah, cause GUIs and the mouse haven't done a THING for PC gaming.

*rolls eyes*

Who cares if you like OS X or not? If you don't like it, don't use it. Doesn't hurt you if other people do, and it doesn't slow down Halflife 3 in any way shape or form...or do you seriously think that the team that pushes code for Steam are the same guys writing Valve's games?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Failure
19. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 11:25 JoeNapalm

People bought SHV?

If figured anyone who was a sub sim fan would have bought SHIV...and learned a valuable lesson. (If not for the DRM, I might have purchased SHV...in like two years, after/if they fixed the bugs.)

I've despised Ubisoft ever since they ruined the Rainbow Six franchise...but I thought, at least, they'd learned a thing or two about draconian DRM when they dropped Starforce.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > DICE on PC Bad Company 2
42. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 11:15 JoeNapalm

No sorry Joe, Batman already touched on it but I'll back him up on the pistols being totally fucking OP. I can zip around with a pistol primary and even SNIPE with one. The damage to distance dropoff is almost negible and they have almost zero bullet drop to boot. If the pistols were decent at close range only then it would be a different story. The 1911 does something obscene like 40 damage per hit and does it out to something like 30-40 yards before damage finally starts dropping off.

I didn't know about the lack of drop - but then I tend not to take long-range shots with a sidearm. The 1911 should be a solid damage dealer out to about 50 yards...but I understand these maps are kinda cramped (by BF2 standards) so maybe bring that in a bit.

The 1911 should do a hefty amount per hit - it's a .45...and in terms of balance, you only get seven rounds.

If people are using it instead of an AR, because it's better, that's a problem...but you should be able to drop a dude with a pistol, especially a 1911 - it's a serious piece of hardware, and there's a reason that it's still in use a hundred years later.

I just don't want to see it be like BF2, where (unless you could pull off several headshots) you might as well be using harsh language.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

[EDIT - I don't, however, wanna see pistols be like the original R6, where I'd transition from some ARs to the H&K .45 because it had laser-like pinpoint accuracy to infinite range, with negligable recoil.]

News Comments > MS Demos Cross-Platform Gaming
5. Re: MS Demos Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 8, 2010, 10:43 JoeNapalm

Heh. Consoles have already impacted PC gaming with simplified controls, limited maps and textures, etc...now they're gonna make it so you can play from a phone.

On one hand, I weep for the potential harm this will do to some games that could have been something...on the other hand, an evil little part of my brain is filled with glee just imagining the first time I hear a console fan complain about how their favorite sequel was ruined by being dumbed down.

And before the flames start, I own a console, I think they have their place...I just think that cross-platform is a heinously bad idea for anything but the most casual of games.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > DICE on PC Bad Company 2
32. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 09:12 JoeNapalm

Anyways yeah, Dice please get to nerfing on the M60 and pistols.

Dear lord, stop! No nerfs!

I haven't tried the M60, but the pistols actually feel pretty decent, for once!

I hate that, in most multiplayer FPS, you have to put 50 rounds into someone to slow them down.

If the M60 is OP, then fine...but the .45 feels great - I don't think they should mess with it at all. Yeah, it hits like a brick, but it's a .45, and it's only got seven rounds.

Anyway, good job DICE.

(Except for one glaring niggle...WTF with the lack of prone, people?!)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Portal 2 Announced
34. Re: Portal 2 Announced Mar 6, 2010, 15:21 JoeNapalm

Liked Portal, until every other post on the Internet became "the cake is a lie" and everybody started masturbating over that cute, but ultimately forgettable, song at the end of the game.

Translation:

"I liked Portal until everyone else liked it, too. At that point I had no choice but to denounce it as totally passť, in order to maintain my hardcore street cred."

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Mar 6, 2010, 11:48 JoeNapalm

Dammit.

I do NOT need another game, right now.

I don't. I don't. I don't. I don't.

Dammit!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Gold - Metro 2033
10. Re: Gold - Metro 2033 Mar 5, 2010, 15:57 JoeNapalm

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 5, 2010, 15:04:
So we play the Murlocks.. now that would be imbalanced gameplay. although... it might make an interesting rpg....

I think you meant "Morlocks" not "Murlocks"?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - WRrrrLLLuraaarrrrghh!

News Comments > Star Trek Online Brouhaha
14. Re: Star Trek Online Brouhaha Mar 5, 2010, 09:44 JoeNapalm

That's hardly a defense. If a company is going to bother making an MMO now of all times they'd better bring some new material to the table. The MMO market is already supersaturated with enough "OK" games to last a lifetime.

This does do a lot of new things. Half the people complaining about it (and any other MMO that does things a little differently) are mad because it's "not WoW!!"

Narf's sentiment are correct, and not based on "more of the same" but rather the actual limits of making an MMO. You're simply not going to get the depth of a single player game in a system designed for thousands of people to be played over a span of game months.

People seem to think STO should offer just that. I'd love to see it, but it's just not realistic. A really really long single player game like Morrowind or Baldur's Gate is what? 250 hours? That's ten days and some change...

Now go do a /played on your favorite MMO.

I'm not saying that STO has a the depth/timesinkability of WoW - or even that they tapped the potential of the IP - but a ton of people expected a freakin' Holodeck, and that's just not rational. This company doesn't have the funding or depth of bullpen to pull that off.

As for the sale bruhaha - well - I think the consumers are being whiners, and the company is handling it like a bunch of idiots. It's a SALE - if you have a problem with it, demand to be included or take your business elsewhere. If you bought the lifetime subscription and thought that it was the best deal for the money that would ever come down the line...well, you're King Idiot, and should proudly claim your throne.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 4, 2010, 15:41 JoeNapalm

All of the AvP reviews I read come across like a used car salesman trying to sell a clunker that even they can't quite bring themselves to really endorse.

They're a long list of shortcomings followed with something along the lines of "...but hey, if you're looking for a game with all of those shortcomings, you're gonna love this!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Infinity Ward Heads Axed?
37. Re: Infinity Ward Heads Axed? Mar 2, 2010, 14:54 JoeNapalm

That Guy wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 14:36:
No strong feelings here one way or the other. I continue to enjoy MW2 on the 360. Both sides of the ded server issue have merit. No easy answers there. If you look at the prevailing market for games, developing for the console market is simply a no-brainer.

If greed is the only driving motive, then yeah.

I realize game makers/publishers are in business to make money, but there was a time when love of the game also played a factor. Blizzard built an empire on it (and, of course, now are owned by Activition...*sigh*).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 2, 2010, 14:17 JoeNapalm

ActionTrip's STO review is a bit more balanced than most others I've read. Doesn't paint it all roses, but I'd say it's fair...and that they obviously played the game for more than a couple of hours (a big improvement over the aforementioned other reviews).

I'm torn about his last sentence - stupid character/ship names in STO annoy me to no end...I mean, come on the game will make up a decent name for you - if I see another "Locutus", "USS Serenity", or "Luke Skywalker" I may actually hurl...but USS Pork Chop Express plays the Big Trouble in Little China card, so I may have to give him a pass.

You know...from the hurling.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: 14 Stars 'shockingly' never won Oscars Mar 2, 2010, 13:38 JoeNapalm

PHJF wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 11:55:
Benny, Bring me everyone.

EVERRRRRYYYYOOOOOONNNNEEEEE

"I haven't got time for this Mickey Mouse bull@#$%!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo