Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 747 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced
29. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 10:27 JoeNapalm

2K is a third rate dev? Some of the Freedom Force team are working on this game, you know...

I stand corrected. And if they did Freedom Force, they have the ability to make a good X-COM game that isn't an FPS.

I'm not whining about Fallout 3. I think it is a good game. I think it would have been smarter not to call it Fallout 3, and avoided 90% of the controversy by just calling it Fallout: [insert pithy subtitle].

The argument that the population of X-COM fans is minimal is silly. If there are so few X-COM fans, they have nothing to gain from taking the name. The whole point is that this is a classic IP.

And my whole point is that I'd rather see them make a good X-COM game than an FPS called X-COM - it could be an awesome FPS (doubtful, since it's cross-platform, but anything is possible)...it could be the best FPS ever made by the hands of humanity...I'd still rather they made a good X-COM game.

Freakin' A - X-COM defines the entire genre they're spurning.

If you're happy about it, yay you. Many of us aren't, and understandably so.

I guess time will tell. I'm not a NMA fanatic who will refuse to play the game on principle - if it's GOOD, I'll support it. But I still feel that it's unfortunate that these companies lack the vision to make a REAL X-COM game, vs this trend toward "branding" bastardized games as classic IPs.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 10:15 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 10:06:

There's a reason for that. I love plenty of old games that now belong to dead genres, that's just the way it goes. I don't see why the IP is suddenly out of bounds for the rest of eternity as a result. Fallout 3 wasn't Fallout 2 but it was pretty remarkable and deep in it's own right. I felt it even surpassed it in many ways while falling short in others but I'm glad they tried despite the total revamp of gameplay styles and mechanics.

Fallout 3 was good...it wasn't GREAT, but it flirted with greatness. But isometric RPGs aren't exactly a "dead genre". Dragon Age seemed to do okay.

You want to say "imagine the possibilities!" but at the same time say that making a new game, true to the original IP, is impossible.

Seriously, you think a cross-platform FPS is preferable to an attempt to revive the old game in a modernized format? To each their own...I suspect this will be closer to Shadowrun than Fallout 3.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

18. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 10:09 JoeNapalm

Again, honestly, how many of you lack the inventiveness to imagine a way to make an insanely kickass FPS game based around X-COM?

Oh, most of us can imagine that.

But do you honestly believe that's what this is? Or is this a third-rate dev smacking a a high-recognition name on another mediocre entry into a bloated genre?

I get WHY they're doing it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's great. If it is, I'll buy it. But they are choosing to set the bar VERY VERY high by using the X-COM name...even higher by attaching it to an FPS, just as with Fallout...and whether you think it's fair or not, they'll be held to that standard by the general population of X-COM fans.

Seriously, if you can't grasp why a lot of us aren't thrilled with this news, you guys must have LOVED Lucas' last few movies.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

13. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 09:59 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 09:26:
I don't get this attitude. I can understand the whole nostalgia thing but acting like people can never improve upon an IP or idea just because you liked it when you were young is pretty arrogant. I'll stomach the sequels and remakes if it means we get the occasional gem.

People CAN improve on the original IP - I would like more than to see someone take X-Com and rebuilt it...heck, even up to the level of the Silent Storm engine. Instead they will gut it, and try to make it into something else.

Taking X-COM and making it into an FPS with an FBI agent as the main character...and then having the gonads to make the statement that it is "true to the roots of the franchise"? And you think I'M arrogant?

And you don't get why fans of X-COM would be less than pleased? How many FPS are there? How many GOOD turn-based tactical squad games are there? How many of them have been released in the last year?

Maybe it will be the best FPS since the original Half-Life. Yay. I'd still rather see someone remake X-COM, rather than make something else and stick the X-COM name on it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2010, 09:43 JoeNapalm

A console plan for an MMO is just flat-out stupid, anyway.

Unless it's console ONLY.

I can see how you could make STO work on a console, except how do you chat? And there's a shortage of command bar space as it is, in STO (the weakest part of the interface, I feel, is their poor bar design).

At least they say they're refocusing those efforts to the PC. While I have been a defender of this game from launch, they REALLY need to add some end-game to this thing. The average time to RA5 (the level cap) is like 5 days /played...after that, there's not a heck of a lot to do - and what there IS to do is a drastic departure from the game style up to that point...

...pre-RA5, you can log in for 45 minutes, maybe even a half hour, and do a mission. Suddenly, at the cap, you can grind B'tran for 45 minutes (which is quite repetitive) or do a Fleet action which takes a couple of hours, minimum.

How hard would it be to come up with some sort of Mission engine that tapped into ALL of the missions and gave you a sort of "madlib" assignment? This is basically what all of the Explore missions are - just spread it out across the whole map.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed
4. Re: Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed Apr 14, 2010, 09:28 JoeNapalm

Dear Starbreeze,

Please don't @#$% this up.

V/R,

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

7. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 09:22 JoeNapalm

Ah, once again, the stupidest, most idiotic, and most aggravating marketing wonk tactic ever devised.

Step 1: Obtain beloved classic IP

Step 2: In an attempt to make said IP more "mainstream", have a bunch of mouth-breathers screw around with it until it is no longer recognizable, guaranteed to infuriate those very same people who made the IP valuable, while at the same time convincing those not familiar with the IP that it's total and utter crap.

Step 3: Push steaming pile of "quality" out the door six months too early.

Step 4: Blame piracy when the game is a floater.

Step 5: Profit?

This sort of buffoonery might make back a portion of the cost of development (mostly because they cut the development cycle off at the knees) from well-meaning aunts buying games from the bargain bin at Walmart, but seriously...when are these vacuous non-entities going to learn that the ORIGINAL IP is much more valuable in it's original form...because it was created by minds vastly superior to their own?

My money is on "probably never"...but one can dream.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Apr 13, 2010, 10:57 JoeNapalm

The fact is, though, that some of its features -- like the constant free updates and the high level of player-to-player interaction -- are things that gamers may want to start asking for. Why are we paying $10 for a map pack when 12-year-old girls get new, free content every day in FarmVille? It's something to think about, at least.

Start asking for? START asking?

Where the @#$% has this guy been for the last decade? We're discussing what used to be standard practice like it's an innovation, now? Is that how far we've fallen?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Details
11. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Details Apr 13, 2010, 09:57 JoeNapalm

I miss the Tom Clancy games from the Red Storm era...

...you know, the ones that were actually tactical.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway
17. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway Apr 9, 2010, 10:20 JoeNapalm

Let's see - a big middle finger to PC gamers everywhere, no dedicated servers, and an arrogantly, insultingly high price tag, but I get to try it for free?

Basically, an MP-only, one-weekend only demo, and we're supposed to squeal with glee?

Wow. Let me think...

...nope, the answer is still "@#$% you."

I'll go play BFBC2, thanks.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2010, 10:14 JoeNapalm

Hmm. I didn't know 7.62 was out in English.

I'd be willing to pick it up for $9. I actually liked BE5...I mean, it was a mess, gfx and interface wise, but it was the best turn-based tactical game since Silent Storm.

It was actually quite realistic, if you could get past it being hideous. Maybe the most realistic CQB game I've ever seen.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited Updated
5. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited Updated Apr 8, 2010, 16:12 JoeNapalm

Wait - a few months ago this game was "the debil!" and now it's awesome?

This is because my game plate is totally full right now, so you all want me to have something ELSE to play.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s)
5. Re: Charles Cecil Working on Free, Digital Dr. Who Game(s) Apr 8, 2010, 11:34 JoeNapalm

I'm a massive fan of Doctor Who, but not sure if adventure games (while possibly the most appropriate genre) really hold anything for me, these days.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mount & Blade Warband Patched
1. Re: Mount & Blade Warband Patched Apr 8, 2010, 09:31 JoeNapalm

I loved Mount & Blade so much I preordered this - and still haven't had time to play it.

I need to figure out how to get paid lots of money to do what I want whenever I want...

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Bloodlines Revival Project
8. Re: Bloodlines Revival Project Apr 8, 2010, 09:23 JoeNapalm

ATTENTION DEVS AND MARKETING WONKS:

Take a look at this game - it is Homerian in the lessons you could take away from it, both in what makes a game great - and how NOT to release/support it.

Once again, bravo to the community that continues to support this game. I'll look forward to yet another play-through once they finish this.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition Announced
7. Re: Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition Announced Apr 2, 2010, 15:24 JoeNapalm

Seriously, if you ever have had a turn-based die-rolling bone in your body, this game is awesome.

One of my best friends, who is a huge table-top geek, described this as "the most fun he's ever had playing a turn-based game."

I particularly recommend picking it up if you have at least one friend who's into similar games...download BBManager (free) and set up a little private league for bragging rights.

I'm currently hosting the Schadenfreude Cup - a 4 team vs 4 team cross-divisional brawl. We'll probably be playing this one tourney out until this expansion goes gold.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

DISCLAIMER - If you can't stand turn-based games and don't know the singular form of "dice" then don't get this game. If you can't stand watching one of your star players fumble a Go-for-It roll, trip, break his neck, and be maimed or killed to death because Nuffle hates you, then don't get this game. If you don't understand how playing a Goblin team and losing could be more fun than playing some "serious" team and winning, this game probably isn't for you.

News Comments > Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition Announced
3. Re: Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition Announced Apr 2, 2010, 11:27 JoeNapalm

Your mileage may vary, but I get an enormous amount of satisfaction from the swirling stars, red crosses, and floating skulls.

*Grin*

The game's not about gore - it's about tactics.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Mar 25, 2010, 14:14 JoeNapalm

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

And this tool doesn't even back up anything he's saying with anything approximating a fact - he's just spewing his own skewed agenda.

Hell, my PC is more powerful than 99.9% of any computer ever crafted by mankind! (It's not very powerful by today's standards, but it is way faster than my first PC - an IBM PC running an 8088 - or even that laptop I bought in '95 that's still in my closet somewhere.)

What an arschgeige.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

[EDIT] PS - The world will be a better place when they realize that the PC and the consoles are different markets. If all the current crop of "big" game companies want to migrate, screw 'em. We can rebuild them...we have the technology. I welcome the Indy devs rising up to fill the vacuum.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2010, 14:36.

News Comments > Bourne Game Killed?
20. Re: Bourne Game Killed? Mar 25, 2010, 10:03 JoeNapalm

Bill Borre wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 20:00:
Yeah, I'm not quite sure why that game gets so much love here. I finished the game, but I thought it was extremely hard and often quite frustrating.

A hard game is not necessarily a bad game. XCOM wasn't easy, nor the original Wizardry, JA, etc...heck, ZORK had me grinding my teeth upon occasion...

I don't recall Syndicate being exceptionally difficult - I think the last time I played through it was 2004 - though, at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old gamer, most games these days aren't designed to be very challenging...rat pushes button, rat gets pellet, rat pushes more buttons for more pellets, repeat.

I do remember there being a command to tell your cyborgs to basically unload everything they had on anything that moves...when the #$%^ hit the fan, and stealth was no longer an option - the miniguns opened up, there was a LOT of carnage.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Master Server Status
3. Re: Bad Company 2 Master Server Status Mar 25, 2010, 09:06 JoeNapalm

I was very annoyed by the "no prone thing"...still am...but it's not REALLY a game breaker.

I mean, seriously, it's just stupid...but the game is still fun.

I just hope it doesn't set a trend. It's a stupid and lazy solution to their problem (they CLAIM it's not in because it makes it easier to exploit, but I think it's really more about the number of buttons on a gamepad).

If it's really just about dolphin diving, then they are the laziest freakin' coders on the planet...then again, they never DID fix that red tag bug...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

747 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo