Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > DCS: Black Shark Patch
4. Re: DCS: Black Shark Patch May 17, 2010, 09:11 JoeNapalm

Is this ever going to make it to Steam?

I ask only because they said it would be on Steam approximately forever ago...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Gamer Top 100
2. Re: PC Gamer Top 100 May 14, 2010, 10:46 JoeNapalm

A great example of why I haven't read PC Gamer in years.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > New Star Trek Online Mission
10. Re: New Star Trek Online Mission May 13, 2010, 16:23 JoeNapalm

Well it IS a Task Force so it's not just a 10 min mish, it's more or less a 5 man raid.

This is a problem I have with most MMOs, and this one most of all. I like STO because I can log in for an hour (or less) and run through a mission or three. There are some Fleet Actions scattered around that I run through when I have more time...

...but the Raiding stuff in end-game, while fun, is a total 180 from the rest of the game, that can be played in an almost casual fashion. There really is nearly zero content for end game other than Raids and PvP.

I realize this is the norm for MMOs...it's just annoying to me, because it means (based on my limited time (and limited interest in running 1-to-2 hour raids)) I can either roll another Alt or play a different game.

Cryptic is trying, but they do need to expand ALL content, not just feed tiny bits of end-game into the vacuum.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Content Interview
8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Content Interview May 13, 2010, 16:06 JoeNapalm

This actually sounds a bit like it was like to play Planetside back in the day...except the dynamic environment was all player characters.

I am curious to see how they work this out - and curious to see how they intend to deal with the fact that any guild of significant size will figure out ways to really monkey up the gears, if it works the way it sounds.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Play BC2 to Unlock Medal of Honor M24
4. Re: Play BC2 to Unlock Medal of Honor M24 Apr 28, 2010, 15:07 JoeNapalm

Morgan19 wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 12:27:
Not very exciting, if it's anything like the Battlefield Veterans program where the website never works.

It does work, now. I use the M-1 on my Engineer fairly often on maps with longer range engagements, where an SMG is a liability.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2010, 14:18 JoeNapalm

gilly775 wrote on Apr 27, 2010, 13:44:
ut, I got a free game out of buying Silent Hunter 5 and having connection issues initially, so that was a nice touch!

You...you bought SHV?

You wanna buy a house? Or maybe a bridge? Oceanfront property?

Have I got some deals for you!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 14:14 JoeNapalm

Yeah, the first thought that ran through my head was "Assassin's Creed was a stealth game?"

I think Arkham Asylum was at least a bit more of a stealth game, as there were sections where detection at least made the game HARDER. While I enjoyed the first AC (apparently not enough to rush out and get the 2nd one, though) I mostly was sneaky because it entertained me...getting noticed just meant a LOT of killin'...

...not really a problem, since you could kill basically any number of bad guys without breaking a sweat, once you figured out blocking.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced
80. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 15, 2010, 13:23 JoeNapalm

Blackhawk wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 17:40:
You can't criticize my logic until you improve your reading comprehension. I didn't say that an XCom FPS was a good idea. I could bring up X-Com Enforcer or C&C Renegade to counter that. What I said is that a spin off into a different genre isn't automatically a bad idea. Whether this is a good idea or not will have to wait until the reviews are out.

Oh, actually I can. What you SAID was that nobody stated SWAT 4 was horrible, and SWAT 4 was a cross-genre spin-off of Police Quest.

If that is meant to demonstrate anything about X-COM, then your logic is off the mark.

Let's break it down:

1. SWAT 4 is a good cross-genre sequel to Police Academy
2. X-COM is a cross-genre sequel
3. Therefore, X-COM (as a cross-genre sequel) isn't a bad idea/will be a good sequel/whatever result you want to stick here.

This is affirming the consequent:

1. If A, then B.
2. B.
3. Therefore A.

This is bad logic. Commonly used logic, these days, but still wrong.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed
18. Re: Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed Apr 14, 2010, 15:32 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 14:19:
Kidding aside, the Syndicate universe strikes me as more suited to a FPS than the X-Com universe for reasons I can't really explain. Well, I could, but I'm too tired to go into detail.

Agreed.
X-COMs was mostly generic. Outlined but not fleshed out. And generic.

But it could still kick some serious ass.

I think, Beamer, this is why we disagree in the other thread on X-Com, but agree here.

X-COM is basically Aliens - making it an FPS makes it into sort of an AVP wannabe.

A Syndicate FPS with Co-Op multiplayer, however...that I could definitely get my hopes up over.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

60. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 15:21 JoeNapalm

Blackhawk wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 14:49:

Funny that someone mentioned SWAT 4, which itself is a part of a series whose earlier incarnations included both an isometric strategy game (Police Quest: SWAT 2) and an interactive FMV game (Police Quest: SWAT) which were, in turn, spun off of an adventure series (Police Quest.)

I don't recall anybody mentioning that SWAT 4 was a horrible game because it wasn't a 2d adventure.

SWAT 4 was a horrible game.

Happy now?

Though SWAT 4 was horrible because the LA SWAT lethal force policy (as represented by the game) is idiotic...I don't think that was derived from Police Quest.

Seriously, though - the premise of "SWAT 4 was derived from Police Quest, so therefore an X-COM FPS is a good idea" is quite a stretch...and about four different kinds of faulty logic.

A equals B, therefore C must equal D!

By your logic, Shadowrun must have been one of the most awesome games ever, since it was based on such a great pen-and-paper RPG and SWAT 4 was derived from Police Quest.

Now, I can see how those of us who have an emotional investment in X-COM (from playing the game over and over for years and years) would be annoyed by this announcement - what I can't figure out is why those who claim we're simply naysayers have an emotional investment in a game that was just announced.

I mean, seriously - you people are fighting tooth an nail (verbally) to convince those of us who don't like this trend that it's the best thing ever - based on a premise. Is this just backlash from the brouhaha over the whole Fallout 3 thing?

To summarize - yes, this might be a good game, but most X-COM fans would rather see a new X-COM, rather than a spin-off that (if done right) would basically be a sequel to Deus Ex (also a great game...just not an X-COM game).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Asheron's Call Spring Event Underway
9. Re: Asheron's Call Spring Event Underway Apr 14, 2010, 14:14 JoeNapalm

Anonymous wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 01:02:
I actually was part of the closed beta. I remember how they made a big deal of the NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and the fact that they actually distributed the beta client through mail only.

It was cool.

Red Server FTW! Heh.

I think I still have some screenies around, somewhere, of my beta character fighting a HUGE Monouga (three-eyed cyclops) in the town square of Hebain-to, surrounded by the bodies of the slain.

Was an incredible game, for it's time - I rank logging into AC for the first time up there with my first DOOM deathmatch.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > More Infinity Ward Departures
7. Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Apr 14, 2010, 12:26 JoeNapalm

RTSNut wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 11:54:
You really think dedicated servers has anything to do with this? The PC version of the game accounted for less than 10% of the games sales, it's pretty much irrelevant.

This is a fallacious argument - you're affirming the consequent.

You have no idea what the numbers would be WITH dedicated servers...therefore you can't logically state that the numbers without make it irrelevant.

Did it ever occur to you that dedicated servers would have resulted in higher PC sales? I know that the lack of servers factored into my decision. I didn't buy this, but I did buy BFBC2.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

40. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 12:15 JoeNapalm

a)1st person game set in a dynamic campaign with random maps and strategic layer. (My preference, but way too ambitious for any game made after 1995)

Dude...thanks for putting the idea, forged from pure Awesomium, into my head of the gaming nerdvana that would be the melding of the original R6 franchise with the original X-COM, using the full potential of modern conventions and technology.

Thanks so much for putting that idea into my head, knowing full well that it could never happen in this...this imperfect world.

Now if you will excuse me, I must go mourn for what might have been.

(Yeah, I should be positive - but I've been burned too many times. If that IS what they make, I'll eat my words...and I will eat them happily and ask for seconds.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

29. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 10:27 JoeNapalm

2K is a third rate dev? Some of the Freedom Force team are working on this game, you know...

I stand corrected. And if they did Freedom Force, they have the ability to make a good X-COM game that isn't an FPS.

I'm not whining about Fallout 3. I think it is a good game. I think it would have been smarter not to call it Fallout 3, and avoided 90% of the controversy by just calling it Fallout: [insert pithy subtitle].

The argument that the population of X-COM fans is minimal is silly. If there are so few X-COM fans, they have nothing to gain from taking the name. The whole point is that this is a classic IP.

And my whole point is that I'd rather see them make a good X-COM game than an FPS called X-COM - it could be an awesome FPS (doubtful, since it's cross-platform, but anything is possible)...it could be the best FPS ever made by the hands of humanity...I'd still rather they made a good X-COM game.

Freakin' A - X-COM defines the entire genre they're spurning.

If you're happy about it, yay you. Many of us aren't, and understandably so.

I guess time will tell. I'm not a NMA fanatic who will refuse to play the game on principle - if it's GOOD, I'll support it. But I still feel that it's unfortunate that these companies lack the vision to make a REAL X-COM game, vs this trend toward "branding" bastardized games as classic IPs.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

22. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 10:15 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 10:06:

There's a reason for that. I love plenty of old games that now belong to dead genres, that's just the way it goes. I don't see why the IP is suddenly out of bounds for the rest of eternity as a result. Fallout 3 wasn't Fallout 2 but it was pretty remarkable and deep in it's own right. I felt it even surpassed it in many ways while falling short in others but I'm glad they tried despite the total revamp of gameplay styles and mechanics.

Fallout 3 was good...it wasn't GREAT, but it flirted with greatness. But isometric RPGs aren't exactly a "dead genre". Dragon Age seemed to do okay.

You want to say "imagine the possibilities!" but at the same time say that making a new game, true to the original IP, is impossible.

Seriously, you think a cross-platform FPS is preferable to an attempt to revive the old game in a modernized format? To each their own...I suspect this will be closer to Shadowrun than Fallout 3.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

18. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 10:09 JoeNapalm

Again, honestly, how many of you lack the inventiveness to imagine a way to make an insanely kickass FPS game based around X-COM?

Oh, most of us can imagine that.

But do you honestly believe that's what this is? Or is this a third-rate dev smacking a a high-recognition name on another mediocre entry into a bloated genre?

I get WHY they're doing it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's great. If it is, I'll buy it. But they are choosing to set the bar VERY VERY high by using the X-COM name...even higher by attaching it to an FPS, just as with Fallout...and whether you think it's fair or not, they'll be held to that standard by the general population of X-COM fans.

Seriously, if you can't grasp why a lot of us aren't thrilled with this news, you guys must have LOVED Lucas' last few movies.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

13. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 09:59 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2010, 09:26:
I don't get this attitude. I can understand the whole nostalgia thing but acting like people can never improve upon an IP or idea just because you liked it when you were young is pretty arrogant. I'll stomach the sequels and remakes if it means we get the occasional gem.

People CAN improve on the original IP - I would like more than to see someone take X-Com and rebuilt it...heck, even up to the level of the Silent Storm engine. Instead they will gut it, and try to make it into something else.

Taking X-COM and making it into an FPS with an FBI agent as the main character...and then having the gonads to make the statement that it is "true to the roots of the franchise"? And you think I'M arrogant?

And you don't get why fans of X-COM would be less than pleased? How many FPS are there? How many GOOD turn-based tactical squad games are there? How many of them have been released in the last year?

Maybe it will be the best FPS since the original Half-Life. Yay. I'd still rather see someone remake X-COM, rather than make something else and stick the X-COM name on it.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2010, 09:43 JoeNapalm

A console plan for an MMO is just flat-out stupid, anyway.

Unless it's console ONLY.

I can see how you could make STO work on a console, except how do you chat? And there's a shortage of command bar space as it is, in STO (the weakest part of the interface, I feel, is their poor bar design).

At least they say they're refocusing those efforts to the PC. While I have been a defender of this game from launch, they REALLY need to add some end-game to this thing. The average time to RA5 (the level cap) is like 5 days /played...after that, there's not a heck of a lot to do - and what there IS to do is a drastic departure from the game style up to that point...

...pre-RA5, you can log in for 45 minutes, maybe even a half hour, and do a mission. Suddenly, at the cap, you can grind B'tran for 45 minutes (which is quite repetitive) or do a Fleet action which takes a couple of hours, minimum.

How hard would it be to come up with some sort of Mission engine that tapped into ALL of the missions and gave you a sort of "madlib" assignment? This is basically what all of the Explore missions are - just spread it out across the whole map.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed
4. Re: Starbreeze Syndicate Plans Confirmed Apr 14, 2010, 09:28 JoeNapalm

Dear Starbreeze,

Please don't @#$% this up.

V/R,

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

7. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 09:22 JoeNapalm

Ah, once again, the stupidest, most idiotic, and most aggravating marketing wonk tactic ever devised.

Step 1: Obtain beloved classic IP

Step 2: In an attempt to make said IP more "mainstream", have a bunch of mouth-breathers screw around with it until it is no longer recognizable, guaranteed to infuriate those very same people who made the IP valuable, while at the same time convincing those not familiar with the IP that it's total and utter crap.

Step 3: Push steaming pile of "quality" out the door six months too early.

Step 4: Blame piracy when the game is a floater.

Step 5: Profit?

This sort of buffoonery might make back a portion of the cost of development (mostly because they cut the development cycle off at the knees) from well-meaning aunts buying games from the bargain bin at Walmart, but seriously...when are these vacuous non-entities going to learn that the ORIGINAL IP is much more valuable in it's original form...because it was created by minds vastly superior to their own?

My money is on "probably never"...but one can dream.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo