Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 737 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jun 4, 2010, 08:53 JoeNapalm

winnetou wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 07:52:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 01:51:
Almost every classic action RPG has suffered from the same issues as AP: Deus Ex, System Shock, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
Can you recommend a character development path that avoids some of AP's issues? It sounds like an interesting game, but I'd like to avoid another "could have been great if.." experience like I had in Bloodlines.

Not sure what you mean...did you gimp your character in Bloodlines?

Bloodlines, while obviously kicked out the door of a moving van in the middle of the night, was nurtured and mended by Wesp into one of the best CRPGs ever.

That said, if you pick a Clan that isn't suited to you, yeah...you're not going to do well.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Trek Online Patch Today
3. Re: Star Trek Online Patch Today Jun 3, 2010, 15:04 JoeNapalm

The game has come a long way from launch - but they should knock off the C-Store crap. For a paid MMOG, that content (which is usually just cosmetic, but can include things like playable races) should be free.

Either that, or go the Tumbler route, make the MMOG free and charge for the C-Store bling.

But not both.

It's a fun game, but they launched with about 40-50hrs of content...for an MMOG...just crazy to expect that you're going to retain a large segment of your population.

Part of me strongly believes that they bought this from the guys who had started it, slapped enough "finishing touches" on it to ship, and hope to recoup the loss with the initial rush followed by death by microtransaction.

I think that a lot of people expected too much from a Star Trek MMOG, but this game really could have been great if they just let it cook long enough.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Activision on Developer Relations
7. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 16:14 JoeNapalm

"These newfangled dev whippersnappers with their dungarees, rock-and-roll music, and foosball tables!"

Here's a little sunlight for ya, Bobby:

"I don't think it is specific to video games. I think that if you look at how much volatility there is in the economy and, dependent upon your view about macroeconomic picture and I think we have a real culture of thrift. And I think the goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought in to Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

"I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

-- Bobby Kotick, Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference 2009

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Top Titles
18. Re: Games for Windows Top LIVE Titles Jun 2, 2010, 16:03 JoeNapalm

MuzixMon wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 15:51:
The sad thing is if you add up every player from every title and combine them they won't even equal 5% of the people playing CoD MW2 on the 360.

As Marx said, "Der Modernen Kriegsführung Zwei...ist das Opium des Volkes".

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

10. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Top Titles Jun 2, 2010, 13:38 JoeNapalm

Meh.

Maybe when I get my backlog cleared I'll give it another shot.

Was a great game - but a lazy crappy port.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

4. Re: Games for Windows Top LIVE Titles Jun 2, 2010, 12:47 JoeNapalm

GTAIV is probably at the top due to all the people checking out the new patch to see if it made the game playable.

I haven't bothered, as the general consensus (as far as I have read) is - No, no it hasn't.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > DC Universe Online in November
6. Re: DC Universe Online in November Jun 2, 2010, 10:30 JoeNapalm

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 00:07:

You have to wonder how these imbeciles continue to remain in business.

Because PT Barnum was right?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > BFG Leaves Graphics Card Business
1. Re: BFG Leaves Graphics Card Business May 20, 2010, 22:02 JoeNapalm

Same here, Blue - really good experiences with my last three BFG cards.

Sad news.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 20, 2010, 10:44 JoeNapalm

So, from what I can tell, Patcher does the exact same thing as what we all do here on Blue's...

...but he's getting paid.

There is no Edgar.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Avatar Game Sells Well
16. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 08:53 JoeNapalm

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2010, 01:45:
The blue people were American Indians. *yawn*

Really? Wow. It's all so clear now.

I can't believe how cleverly they concealed that with all the feathers and bows and horses and stuff...

...can't fool you, though.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
6. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 11:01 JoeNapalm

eRe4s3r wrote on May 19, 2010, 10:47:
You can hate Ubisoft, but they are the only ones with a diverse game lineup and *usually* games that don't suck...

You're half right. *Grin*

"Only"? Seriously?

I've got a backlog of games to last me to the Apocalypse, and I think think the last Ubisoft game I bought was the first Assassin's Creed.

Yup, just took the time to go through their PC and PS3 release for the last few years on their website...Color me underwhelmed.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
1. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 10:42 JoeNapalm

I'm torn between jaded cynicism and scorn for Ubi in what appears to be another attempt to squeeze blood from a turnip...and the urge to applaud them for at least CONSIDERING something other than draconian DRM.

Then again, they've utterly destroyed both the Rainbow Six and Silent Hunter franchises, so...really...screw you, Yves.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West Patched
2. Re: Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West Patched May 19, 2010, 10:00 JoeNapalm

I found Fist Full of Frags to be more satisfying...though this does have better gfx.

I actually folded and got RDD for PS3 (which I own simply because I could get a BluRay player, or a BluRay player that played games, for about the same amount of money) - if they do a decent port to the PC (ie, not @#$% it all up like they did GTAIV) it would be nice.

Great game, but I hate console controls for 1st/3rd person shooters, and snap-to cover systems are simply annoying.

But, hey, closest thing to Outlaws since LucasArts stopped making good games.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Only ⅔ of Players Pay to Game
21. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 13:59 JoeNapalm

Totally off topic - Dmitri, I applaud the use of a JA2 avatar!

Bravo!

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle Stats
6. Re: Humble Indie Bundle Stats May 18, 2010, 13:26 JoeNapalm

How many of those games did you ever try, BobBob?

If the answer isn't "ALL" then it seems unreasonable to trash the project simply because you don't THINK you'd like them. You set the price you feel they are worth, after all.

Lugaru alone would make the whole bundle worth it - perhaps not to your liking, but I bought it again just to have it on my PC (already owned on the Mac).

Not a AAA title, but nobody claimed it was. Great fighting game - very innovative in how it allows you to use movement and the environment.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2010, 12:05 JoeNapalm

Losing for real? Take a look at Blood Bowl.

Nothing like spending a dozen games grooming a star player, only to have them killed outright by a bad roll.

Does tend to make you rethink your strategy to mitigate risk! You can win the game, but lose your characters...

Makes for some great (and very stressful) multiplayer.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Only ⅔ of Players Pay to Game
13. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 11:41 JoeNapalm

Shocking. People who wouldn't pay to play a game will sometimes play a free game if it is available...

...I wonder how much they spent to figure that out.

Probably brought to you by the same twits who think that there's a 1-to-1 ratio between pirated content and lost sales.

In unrelated news, a study conducted by me indicates that PEOPLE LIKE FREE !@#$. Marketing people know this...why the @#$% do you think CC companies hand out free frisbies and other crap at college campuses?

Maybe I can get funding for that study? How many people pay for bloody frisbies...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > DCS: Black Shark Patch
4. Re: DCS: Black Shark Patch May 17, 2010, 09:11 JoeNapalm

Is this ever going to make it to Steam?

I ask only because they said it would be on Steam approximately forever ago...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > PC Gamer Top 100
2. Re: PC Gamer Top 100 May 14, 2010, 10:46 JoeNapalm

A great example of why I haven't read PC Gamer in years.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > New Star Trek Online Mission
10. Re: New Star Trek Online Mission May 13, 2010, 16:23 JoeNapalm

Well it IS a Task Force so it's not just a 10 min mish, it's more or less a 5 man raid.

This is a problem I have with most MMOs, and this one most of all. I like STO because I can log in for an hour (or less) and run through a mission or three. There are some Fleet Actions scattered around that I run through when I have more time...

...but the Raiding stuff in end-game, while fun, is a total 180 from the rest of the game, that can be played in an almost casual fashion. There really is nearly zero content for end game other than Raids and PvP.

I realize this is the norm for MMOs...it's just annoying to me, because it means (based on my limited time (and limited interest in running 1-to-2 hour raids)) I can either roll another Alt or play a different game.

Cryptic is trying, but they do need to expand ALL content, not just feed tiny bits of end-game into the vacuum.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

737 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo