Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Our Rotting Video-Game Heritage
5. Re: Our Rotting Video-Game Heritage Jul 29, 2010, 16:36 JoeNapalm

kxmode wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 15:57:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 11:45:
Aw hell. Here I thought you were a cute Japanese chick.

I'm actually a one-eyed ninja who likes to stand in a field of pink...

And I am Deckard, hard-bitten Bladerunner.

Not a replicant.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lead and Gold Free Weekend
9. Re: Lead and Gold Free Weekend Jul 22, 2010, 14:27 JoeNapalm

I found Fistful of Frags to be better, actually.

Which is sad, since I paid for Lead & Gold, and FoF was free.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > APB Plans
15. Re: APB Plans Jul 13, 2010, 10:58 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 09:56:
They seem more focused on monetizing the consumer than they are on making a quality gaming experience.

I think that does drive some of the more bizarre aspects of the situation. For instance, you can run into some REALLY well-armed people with a very low threat level - my guess being because you can just buy pretty much any weapon.

Now, there's a rating restriction on what you can use, but it's unclear to me if you can use weapons you buy from other players that are above your rating - you often receive rewards from your contacts that you can't otherwise buy until your standing increases...

It's sort of confusing, but I do know that I've run into low-threat (sort of the same as low level, but not exactly) people with two and three slot (more powerful) weapons, and it is sort of annoying.

Here you've accepted a mission against someone who is of equal or lesser threat than you, and they're packing weapons you won't have access to for quite some time (if you're like me, and prefer to EARN stuff).

Hopefully, this is among the things they're fixing - even if it's simply fixing the matchmaking system.

-Jn-
City of Brass Exatriate

News Comments > APB Plans
13. Re: APB Plans Jul 13, 2010, 08:32 JoeNapalm

Huh. I figured I'd be the only one defending this game. *Grin* Nice to see some other folks having fun, despite the shortcomings.

If they fix everything on that list...or even half the things...it could really make this game work.

The core of the game, itself, is fine. But the issues listed (with the exception, in my opinion, of vehicle handling (I didn't realize there was anything wrong with that, I think they feel fine)) do need to be fixed before I'd continue playing long-term.

Several people have asked me about the game, and as-is, I tell them that I'm having fun...but there's definitely some problems to hammer out.

For an MMO, though, the launch was surprisingly smooth. They just need to apply the fine art of balance (akin to juggling flaming chainsaws).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

aka

Djinn - Enforcer - La Roche
Banshee - Crim - La Roche

News Comments > EA Goes to WAR in Europe
4. Re: EA Goes to WAR in Europe Jul 7, 2010, 13:53 JoeNapalm

I weep for what might have been...I mean, this game was based on WFRP, one of the best written set of table top RPG rules ever devised, with a huge amount of supporting materials.

I can't help but wonder how much of the dev cycle went into WoWification of the game to make it more like the game that their target demographic was already tired of playing?

Such a waste.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Trailer
4. Re: Interstellar Marines Trailer Jul 7, 2010, 13:46 JoeNapalm

ASeven wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 12:27:
Yeah. If this game gets released, and the devs have now gone into full force marketing now, this might become one of the greatest sleeper hits on PC history. Even though the game looks generic it feels right and a pleasure to play.

Dude! Don't talk about it! What's wrong with you?

Don't you realize that as soon as word gets out, some suit at EA or MS will swoop in, buy it all up, carve the soul out with a dull, rusty blade, and sell it (to consoles, first, followed by a crappy port) with the holes stuffed with micro-transaction DLCs?

They all think PC gaming is dead. Let it play possum, and maybe they'll go away.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale, Day 7
4. Re: Steam Summer Sale, Day 7 Jun 30, 2010, 14:32 JoeNapalm

Such evil genius...

...I had to create a Category in Steam for all the games that I've bought on sale and haven't had time to install.

I'll retire in a decade or two, and might have time to get caught up.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patched
6. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patched Jun 30, 2010, 11:18 JoeNapalm

Gameplay - Hit box for moving targets expands based on the speed of the targets movement

Please tell me this wasn't because someone complained that it was too hard to learn to lead a moving target?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - All Points Bulletin
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - All Points Bulletin Jun 30, 2010, 09:15 JoeNapalm

Eh, you get 50hrs of "action district" time with the game. I figure I can decide when I burn that (will take awhile) if I want to continue...50hrs is more time than I spend on many games.

Plus, the "social district" time isn't figured into your time - so if you're tweaking around with the customization system (which is really the most robust in any MMO I've seen...heck, any GAME I've seen) you're not burning your hours.

Hopefully they'll iron out some of the rough spots - the tutorial is pretty useless, and the in-game systems for help or support of any kind are also basically unusable (or at least not user-friendly enough for me to bother). Mission types could use some expansion (could be said of all MMOs).

There are plenty of warts - crashes every two hours (may have been my audio drivers, we shall see), console-like lack of advanced gfx settings, the audio scheme (while innovative) is often annoying (default open mic settings? Whut?), and the matchmaking system can be frustrating (you can call for backup if things get unbalanced, but there's no guarantee the other players will respond).

Overall, though, I find it fun. It's got crouch and lean, so right there is more tactical depth than most FPSs these days, plus GTA-like car chases vs humans rather than AI. There's actually been a handful of moments when something really spectacular goes boom or when I manage to pull off some truly insane maneuver (such as performing the PIT maneuver in mid-air while chasing an ambulance jumping across an unfinished overpass gap)...it definitely has it's moments.

Plus, my avatar looks cool.

Heck, I spent a couple hours configuring a big fancy police truck, and it looks pretty sharp. May sound silly, but I've wasted more time on other crafting systems - and this is one of the few times I've been PROUD of what I've made...had several people ask what sort of Special Edition/Pre-Purchase scheme got me the cool ride.

Anyway...I seem to be the champion of mediocre, quirky games, lately. I guess I'm just sick of the machine turning out the same paste in different colors and telling us we've never seen it before. I'll give this one a shot until my time runs out - then we'll see. Heck, the "hours" vs "monthly" scheme might actually save me money, if I don't have a lot of time to play - and they don't expire, so I won't have that "I have to play or I'm wasting my month!" feeling I get from most pay-to-play games.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
21. Re: Steam Sale Jun 24, 2010, 17:12 JoeNapalm

Dude...I'm so far behind on my games list that I'm going to have to create a separate category in my Steam library for games that I've bought but are still in the queue to be installed.

I'm going to go lock my credit card in a safe, then bury it.

(Of course, thanks to Steam, NewEgg, and Amazon, I have the number memorized...*sigh*)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mac Counter-Strike: Source Released
3. Re: Mac Counter-Strike: Source Released Jun 23, 2010, 16:54 JoeNapalm

The Advocate wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 15:45:
Sweet! Only six YEARS after the PC version was released!

It must be awesome to own a Mac. "It just works"...because nothing is available to run on it that doesn't start with the letter "i".

Actually, it IS kinda awesome - no viruses, no driver issues - most everything does "just work."

Heck, the only reason to even own a Windows box, anymore, is to play games.

And times...they're a changin'...Steam support for Macs is a big step.

I mean, I have a Windows machine...because I like to play games and I like to build gaming rigs. But if the day were to come where I could have a Mac that A) had hardware that was equivalent in performance to my gaming machine, and B) had native access to all the titles I wanted to play...justifying building a new rig would be a hard road.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Demo on Steam
10. Re: Mass Effect 2 Demo on Steam Jun 22, 2010, 09:09 JoeNapalm

BobBob wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 07:05:
You can't jump.

While I agree this is annoying, it's not entirely accurate. You can contextually jump over obstacles using the "cover" and "forward" keys.

I just picked this up during the Steam sale...

I really really really don't like any of the things they did to it - I mean, Mass Effect's only real flaws were the repetitiveness of many of the missions and the clunky inventory interface - both console induced flaws. So they "fixed" this by leaning even harder toward the consoles.

That said, I'm still enjoying the game. Just annoyed by how badly they excised all of the team management, equipment modification, and RP aspects of the game. (And NO, a choice between an obviously benevolent and and obviously luke-warm bad guyishness does not constitute a meaty RP experience).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 Trailer
7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 Trailer Jun 15, 2010, 15:33 JoeNapalm

Great trailer, but the in-game stuff looks a LOT like WoW.

Understandable - but somewhat disappointing. I mean, couldn't someone dust off the UO2 code for this? I'd rather see something that played with some of the dynamism of a Jedi battle...

MMOs are getting SO CLOSE to getting it right - and SWTOR has the best shot at breaking the mold...I can't think of another IP that could overcome the momentum that WoW has built up. I don't mean in a WoW-killer kind of way, but more of the direction that WoW pushed everything by being so ridiculously successful.

The bean counters can't wrap their brains around the concept of innovation...and most of the player base can't, either (so many MMOGs have failed for NOT being WoW, despite the people trying them claiming they were bored with WoW). Star Wars, as a franchise, may be the only force (no pun intended) in the Universe that can buck the trend.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Bobby Kotick Interview
3. Re: Bobby Kotick Interview Jun 15, 2010, 14:15 JoeNapalm

Kotick, I read your side of things, and I'm just going to pass along a little gem of wisdom that has served many, many people well over the years:

If everyone thinks you're an asshole...you probably are.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > APB Licensing Deal
4. Re: APB Licensing Deal Jun 9, 2010, 13:39 JoeNapalm

While I am in total agreement with kxmode's assessment of the idiocy of marketing wonks, I wish I could get a better read on this game.

I know that I WANT it to be - something along the lines of a bastard love-child of Planetside and GTAIV - but I keep hearing both extremes from people who've actually seen it...good and bad...

So tempting to just succumb to clicking the little button on Steam...curse you, Gabe Newell...but I'm rarely so impetuous as to pre-order (have you ever read a BAD preview? Ever?).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SpongeBob SquarePants MMOG
5. Re: SpongeBob SquarePants MMOG Jun 9, 2010, 13:35 JoeNapalm

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, perhaps, we are not the target demographic.

The SpongeBob SquarePants MMOG will launch in 2011 in multiple languages for players in China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Southeast Asia and India.

I'm no expert, but I do know that folks in some of those countries play the @#$% out of MMOGs that most Westerners wouldn't play if they got paid to play, rather than the other way around.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > New LucasArts President
6. Re: New LucasArts President Jun 9, 2010, 13:25 JoeNapalm

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 13:01:
Yeah, was thinking that. Curious what kind of waves that will make in the industry.

Bad ones mostly.

Yeah, my optimism for this development trembled a bit at "Epic Games China" and then when sharply South when I read "Ubisoft"...

I wouldn't be getting too worked up of the possibility of this leading LucasArts back into the light, releasing another X-Wing and/or Tie Fighter game, etc...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - Han shot first.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Jun 9, 2010, 09:58 JoeNapalm

Nuke it from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Gold - ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
11. Re: Gold - ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Jun 7, 2010, 12:33 JoeNapalm

Surf wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 11:49:
Steam is no cheaper than buying the normal, full, retail boxed version. Where is the incentive for buying any steam game? Convenience? Convenience is that fast way to laziness and getting ripped off and limiting choice.

Yeah, that's why I live in a cave in the middle of nowhere, and hunt all of my games with flint knives. Convenience is a slippery slope...first, shopping on the interwebs...next, having your body heat siphoned off to provide power to our evil robot overlords.

If they cost the same, and one is more convenient, then the choice is obvious - because the costs are NOT the same...one is more convenient. I see a game I'm interested in, I can have the demo, play the demo, decide to buy it, buy it, and be playing it - all before I can run to Best Buy, Target, Gamestop, etc (which, by the way, all are only about four blocks from my cave - and are much more likely to rip me off).

Of course, caveat emptor - of the costs become unequal (ie, you're getting ripped off in some way), then it's not more convenient.

As for limiting choice - if it's not available on Steam, I don't NOT buy it. I just buy it elsewhere...or wait for it to be available on Steam (most publishers make it pretty clear if they're going to do digital distro or not).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 4, 2010, 16:54 JoeNapalm

The “Star Wars Kid”- Where Is He Now?

The expression on my face, right now, indicates my overwhelming apathy.

( It looks something like this: )

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo