Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2010, 11:01 JoeNapalm

"Serenity", eh? I don't care if it was 0dB...I wouldn't buy a system from them.

I had a Puget Sound custom box for about a week, a few years ago - ended up sending it back for a full refund and building my own.

They sent me the wrong box of components - so I had all the wrong adapters and software - which they refused to fix. This, however, was the least of my worries.

The real problems were much more catastrophic. They partially cut some of the wiring while trimming cable ties, causing intermittent fan failures on the radiator (you know...the main point of heat dissipation on a water-cooled system?), and completely failed to run coolant to several of the waterblocks, leaving the RAM, Northbridge, etc, without any cooling whatsoever.

Actually had to argue with them over why this was bad. I eventually did get my money back - less a ton on shipping for a rather heavy water-cooled system. While I guess I am partially to blame (for thinking I could have someone else build a system for me, for a change), it was not a pleasant customer experience.

I do NOT recommend.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pre-Alpha Miner Wars on Sale
13. Re: Pre-Alpha Miner Wars on Sale Oct 6, 2010, 10:46 JoeNapalm

kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 16:49:
Could they be the miners?
Sure, they're like three years old.
MINERS, not MINORS.
You lost me.

"Did you guys ever watch the show?"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Metacritic Scores
29. Re: filter like a lead sheet Oct 6, 2010, 09:45 JoeNapalm

space captain wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 07:19:
scores are for people that cant acquire useful information by actually reading others observations and opinions

Some people just want to be told a simple "BUY/DON'T BUY"...heck, I have a friend who wants me to tell him what computer to buy, that way.

I think MetaCritic is useful for what it is - an aggregator of opinions. On their own, MetaCritic, Previews, and Reviews themselves are pretty useless...Previews are usually pipe-dreams (I don't even bother reading most of them, anymore, they're like campaign promises), Reviews are rarely unbiased, and forums are full of vitriol.

I check all of these if I'm researching a game, though - you can get a feel for what review sites are relatively trustworthy, what forum posters share your tastes, etc...and then form your own opinion.

That's too much work for most people...which is why MetaCritic scores are color-coded for people who are too lazy to even read the bloody numbers.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > More Duke Nukem Forever Footage
23. Re: More Duke Nukem Forever Footage Oct 5, 2010, 15:57 JoeNapalm

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 15:35:
AngryMax wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 15:32:
Better have jetpacks, shrinker, freeze gun, and a pc release with sick multiplayer. Or fuck you and yours.

+ Laser trip mines and mini dukes.

Yeah, but then what would they put in the pre-order, Collector's Edition, and 76 DLCs?!

MADNESS!!!

This POS will either continue to be vaporware for years to come, or be kicked out the door in a state that makes Diakatana look like Deus Ex.

The King is dead. Long live REAL PC games.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2010, 13:47 JoeNapalm

nin wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 11:21:
Minecraft Halloween update plans…

Note to self: figure out how to make lanterns quickly...

Yeah. And LOTS of them.

Just had a thought...what if they're made of iron?

Dig! Dig faster!

[EDIT] This game is exactly the kind of thing that gives me hope for the future of PC gaming. Even if all the big AAA studios go console, this and M&B are examples of ONE DUDE making a game that is inexplicably fun.

I normally think that people are WAY to excited to beta test for free, and these are two games that I paid for the Alpha - because they're simply good games.

This update looks great. Thanks, Notch![/EDIT]

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2010, 13:54.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Interview
11. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Oct 5, 2010, 10:44 JoeNapalm

Once again, based on you guys, I've re-downloaded all 15GB and played through the first chapter. Again.

It isn't thrilling me, but I'm going to stick to it until, at the very least, I get a fair way in - I only made it to the first village (after the starting castle) on my first two tries to get into it...so I'm going to give it a fair shake.

But only cause of you guys. *Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Interview
7. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Oct 4, 2010, 17:02 JoeNapalm

Sepharo wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 16:07:
Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 16:02:
The first game is one of the most overrated games out there.

Care to elaborate? It has a great original atmosphere, good dialog, a system of choices that isn't Evil vs. Good, and a simple yet engaging combat system.

Of course it also has dice.

I can't speak for him, but I've tried a few times to get into it...and it's never held my attention.

And I love RPGs. Especially those with dice.

I keep seeing The Witcher in my Steam library and thinking I probably should play it...something wrong, there. Not saying it was bad - but a good game generally makes me want to play it.

I'll probably give it a third try, soon...but I've already uninstalled it twice.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December
8. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 12:41 JoeNapalm

Cutter wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 12:23:
If you were ever hooked on World of Warcrack you will cave and buy this. I know I've been jonsing to play a worgen hunter for the longest time.

I'll not listen to your poison words, Grima Wormtongue!

You cannot pass, Hate of the Old Night!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Oct 4, 2010, 12:34 JoeNapalm

This is a faulty argument. (Fallacy of the Beard to be exact.)

Just because there are bigger tools in the world doesn't mean that Kotick isn't a huge tool.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Sep 21, 2010, 10:04 JoeNapalm

Genesys wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 22:35:
I am SciFi, but I am not Syfy.

"Syfy" makes me see red.

(Or, more accurately, it triggers spontaneous Tourette's Syndrome.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > ABP Closing
45. Re: ABP Closing Sep 16, 2010, 17:19 JoeNapalm

Pyloff wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 17:11:
Am I the only one who wishes all MMO's would crash and burn like this and the people working on the games would return to working on single player, and limited multiplayer games. We could herald the return of the PC as the only current gaming system.

Ah, one can dream.

The logic here being...what? I don't see the causal relationship between MMOs and the existence of a console market. Actually, they seem almost mutually exclusive.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

43. Re: ABP Closing Sep 16, 2010, 17:15 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 17:07:

But someone has to be anti-consumer here. It's balance. This place is so insanely pro-consumer it's scary. There's no thought to the need of the dev/pub. There's little comprehension that sometimes giving a little gets a lot.

Yeah, that's great...the entire bloody industry is rapidly becoming downright toxic toward the consumer - but you have to champion the cause of the poor downtrodden industry here on Blues, where it really matters.

*rolls eyes*

Gimme a break.

Let me work the numbers for you - most of us ARE consumers, so yeah...we're going to be "Pro Us".

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 16:46 JoeNapalm

MS will never come out and say "We're releasing a new Xbox in two years."

The reason is people like me - about every six months I get the bug to buy an Xbox 360...some Xbox only game comes out that looks shiny, some of my friends bug me to play, and I seriously think about it...and every time I wonder what the remaining lifespan of the system really is.

If I knew for certain it was two or three years, I probably wouldn't get one. I still might not, but it's long enough in the tooth that this factors into my ponderings.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2010, 16:31 JoeNapalm

space captain wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 14:40:
Big Corn?

sounds like a batman villian

Or the Tick.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam TGS Trailer
6. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam TGS Trailer Sep 16, 2010, 16:17 JoeNapalm

The Advocate wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 14:50:

Especially if I could tote an M-14 through the game.

Great, now I want to reinstall R6:Rogue Spear.

-T-

5. Re: ABP Closing Sep 16, 2010, 13:53 JoeNapalm

It's actually kind of sad.

At it's core, this was a good game - maybe even a great one. Some of the aspects were very innovative...the level of customization was amazing. I spent more time than I care to admit on my avatars, their gear, and their vehicles - but you could make your characters truly unique.

What killed this game wasn't the game itself, it was all the BS surrounding the game. It was pushed out in a totally unbalanced state (fueled by a misguided microtransaction system bolted into a pay-to-play model), the matchmaking system was brain-dead, half the game systems were obviously a last-minute kludge, they didn't know how to fix it, they had no plan in place at launch to deal with cheating (which rapidly became more pervasive than in any other game I've seen to date), customer service and support were utterly absent, and they actually made it as hard as possible to continue to pay for game time.

I actually championed the game for awhile, but stopped playing after my initial game-time expired because it was so annoying to try to navigate their payment system.

Sad to see the game die so young, before it had a chance, really...but at the same time I have no sympathy for those who drove it straight off a bloody cliff.

Might have to log into the Social District one last time to say "Adios" to my Clan. Good crew...*sigh*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2010, 13:59.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2010, 12:59 JoeNapalm

I kinda got the impression that Bioware made the "romance" cut scenes less involved in ME2 because (finally) you had more than just one or two characters to choose between.

Would have required a lot more work.

If it was because of the nearly insignificant ranting about the scenes in the original ME...well, no publicity is bad publicity (at least from EA's point of view)...so that doesn't seem like a plausible reason.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution TGS Trailer
6. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution TGS Trailer Sep 16, 2010, 12:50 JoeNapalm

One of the biggest mistakes made across the board in this industry, these days, is trying to appeal to everyone.

A Deus Ex sequel could be huge - if only they don't try to make it accessible to the entire gaming public.

You cannot make this game and have it adored by everyone from a mouth-breathing bargin-bin-crawling Wheel-of-Fortune-Home-Edition lover, a console fanboi, a casual in-browser "gamer", and the entire so-called "Harcore" crowd...we have so many failed attempts to hold up as examples.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2010, 09:46 JoeNapalm

KGrT wrote on Sep 16, 2010, 08:34:
You haters can act as apathetic as you like, but the fact of the matter is that whether it's music or video games, publishers bend over small developers and musicians in a major way. It's NOT like they can just shop around - the publishers have the negotiating leverage and they ALL ruthlessly exploit the heck out of it in their contract negotiations. Nothing short of a major AAA hit can give developers the leverage to turn the tables.

You don't care? That's fine. But you don't get to complain about sequel overkill, a lack of originality, or vanishing genres without being a hypocrite.

Actually, we do still get to complain. We are the consumer.

Creston's right - the politics behind the anti-consumer behavior are irrelevant. If a grocery store stopped providing carts because they tire of them being stolen, do you think that the store's customers (now former customers) give a damn about why?

Not really...they just go buy their stuff elsewhere.

(Not a perfect analogy - to make it more of a mirror of the gaming industry, the store would have to chain the carts to the wall, then tell the customers they could only come in the store if they agreed to be frisked before leaving and let the store install a tracking device in their car.)

Cry me a river - may you all go out of business and your successors have more sense.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 15, 2010, 17:24 JoeNapalm

Glass can be pretty thick.

Just saying...that's kind of vague.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo