Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 737 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 28, 2010, 11:51 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 11:02:
Yes. They are.

There, I have just provided the same amount of scientific 'evidence' that most 'studies' into violence and its link to gaming do.

Creston

Did you wear a lab coat and hold a clip board while saying that? *Grin*

Let's perform our own little study.

Too much TV: Rick of obesity, near-sightedness, shortened attention span...some would say violent tendancies from seeing umpteen million murders. (I wouldn't but some would.)

Texting and Facebook: All of the above, most of them magnified significantly, plus throw in horrific automobile accidents and posting stupid amounts of information where every creep on the interwebs can find it (and, by extension, the kid).

My 30 second study shows that you should put the kid on an exercise bike in front of the TV, queue up your Firefly collection, give him some glasses, and drop his iPhone in the blender...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 28, 2010, 11:26 JoeNapalm

Five Steps from Mac to MS? Bah. Are we really back to "Mac vs PC" time again? For the love of baud, own both.

No really valid arguments.

Yeah, hardware-wise, Macs are arguably more expensive - but take into account software and it evens out pretty fast...most all the software you need on a Mac is cheap or free.

Upgradability? Don't buy a flipping laptop and then complain that they're too hard to upgrade. With the exception of hardcore gear geeks, most laptops are a pain in the ass to upgrade beyond memory.

No ergonomic keyboard? It's a laptop.

Games. Yeah - Steve Jobs hates games. This doesn't really belong in a list of reasons to change from a Mac to a PC - if you want to play a lot of games well on your ONE machine, then just say "I'm getting a Windows machine so I can play games" and stop with the silly lists.

And Scrivener. Scrivener alone is enough of a reason to own a Mac if you're a writer. Yeah, there's a beta for Windows. Meh. Scrivener belongs on a Mac.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 28, 2010, 10:03 JoeNapalm

Steam sales a like a bloody Skinner box to my rat brain.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Sims 3 Expands
5. Re: The Sims 3 Expands Oct 26, 2010, 15:26 JoeNapalm

Quboid wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 12:49:
There's nothing wrong with vampires, just "real" vampires don't ...

Heh. My wife and I are going as a vampire and vampire hunter to a Hallowe'en thing this year.

She is wearing a little tag that says "NOT A GLITTERY TWILIGHT VAMPIRE" and I'm considering one that says "Bram Stoker's Van Helsing, circa 1897".

*sigh*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > "Light at the End of the Tunnel" for APB?
15. Re: Oct 26, 2010, 10:13 JoeNapalm

If they made it F2P and miraculously fixed it (without screwing it up even worse, which was the direction it was rapidly heading) and my old Clan leader was able to "get the band back together" so-to-speak...I'd play.

...At the very least I'd probably log back in long enough to take screenies of my avatars and vehicles. The customization system was the only thing that worked beyond all expectations.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > UK Sales Charts
10. Re: UK Sales Charts Oct 25, 2010, 14:06 JoeNapalm

Well...aperture sights are restrictive. Effective as all get out, but restrictive.

All in all, happier with the overall fell of NV over FO3. Currently masquerading as a NCR Ranger (and thinking wistfully of Wasteland).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Football Manager 2011 Demo
1. Re: Football Manager 2011 Demo Oct 21, 2010, 15:19 JoeNapalm

Does it do slo-mo replays of "The Flop"?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
68. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 14:59 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 13:28:
The tone, characterizaton, pacing and quest variety is more like Fallout 2. Fallout 3 had very bland characters with boring quests that the player couldn't give less than a shit about for the most part. Where Fallout 3 excelled was the reward for exploration, there was shit everywhere and a lot of it had very vague backstory but you could sort of fill in there.

You guys probably aren't very far if all you're seeing is outposts so just stick with it, at least until Novac. Things start to pick up there.

I gotta say, New Vegas has done one thing FO3 never managed...and I am not far along.

In the starting town, one of the powder gangers ambushed me when I was initially just running around after doing the Gecko tutorial BS. Sort of a "Oh, hey, what's this little red indicator on my HUD mea*BOOM!*" moment - I was in motion, so I wasn't badly hurt, and took out the Ganger without much trouble. As I moved over to search the corpse, I saw the dead body of that girl you save from the Geckos.

At moment, I actually said, out loud "Alright, you fuckers - it is on." I know it was just a random event - nothing scripted - but it made the world seem more real that the Gangers killed that helpless, limping chick who gave me some clean water.

I wasn't out to kick Powder Ganger ass because I'm supposed to be the 'good guy' and the game gave me a quest. I'm out to slaughter those bastards (and have done so to the point of auto-failing the 'I Fought The Law' quest due to stomping the @$%^ out of the NCRCF without first looking for a quest giver or something).

I never had any emotional attachment to FO3 - nuke Megaton, don't nuke Megaton...it came down to am I supposed to be a good guy or not (frankly, if I hadn't known that the annoying store keeper just gets ghouled, I'd have been tempted, anyway).

So, maybe it's just me...but seems NV has something that works better for me than FO3 did. (Despite being a buggy POS...thanks Bethesda and Obsidian, you incompetent gits.)

*shrug*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
51. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 10:13 JoeNapalm

Quicksilver wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 09:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 09:48:
Quicksilver wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 09:43:
The best fix I ever found for Fallout was in the advanced video settings (through the launcher) in the water tab, turn multisampling to low. My Fallout games used to crash every 20-30 minutes until I turned that off.

Saw this post previously - wanted to say thanks, I switched that in the other FO3 game - worked like a charm.

no problem, i googled for weeks before I found that fix, stopped playing FO3 for a while because of the crashes. Haven't seen it posted widely. So spread the word!

The GFX auto-detect set my resolution to 800x600, then cranked up all of the stupid water effects to maximum. First thing I did was crank the resolution up to 1600x1200 and shut off or reduce water effects as far as possible.

End result: I have suffered one CTD in about 9hrs of play. My frame rate is smooth, though every five or six seconds the entire game pauses for a half-tick (very annoying). (Have considered shutting off auto-save - may be unrelated but in general auto-save screws up poorly written games.)

Considering that I have yet to actually SEE any water (it is in a desert, after all) I think it's a fair trade off.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - With this final straw, Beth and Obsidian (I really SHOULD have known better with those names in the mix) have entered the category of devs who's games I'll pick up on Steam sales after the users have fixed the damn code. Lazy ass incompetent code makes me angry.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Interview
2. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Oct 19, 2010, 14:52 JoeNapalm

Techie714 wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 13:38:
The Witcher & Fallout are by far my two favorite RPG IP's. I cant wait for the next game. These guys have done so much for the PC Gaming community it's not even funny.

Every time someone says this, I feel like a bad person because I can't stay interested in The Witcher long enough to get past that first town.

Maybe I need a bigger hard drive. I keep uninstalling it to make room for other stuff...like Fallout.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Metal Brigade Tactics Demo
7. Re: Metal Brigade Tactics Demo Oct 8, 2010, 15:36 JoeNapalm

space captain wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 14:45:
reminds me of the Crescent Hawk Inception

I think I just had an actual flashback.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

3. Re: Metal Brigade Tactics Demo Oct 8, 2010, 13:20 JoeNapalm

Now that is a plan I can support.

*Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2010, 11:08 JoeNapalm

Breaking news! LinuxPlanet says Linux is awesome!

Seriously, that article is sad. I'm a fan of Linux, but that article?

"We have SuperTux and Scorched Earth!"

Sad.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Metal Brigade Tactics Demo Oct 8, 2010, 10:53 JoeNapalm

Looking at this, while interesting, just makes me want a good MechWarrior game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com
24. Re: Icewind Dale Complete on GOG.com Oct 7, 2010, 15:03 JoeNapalm

Armengar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 03:45:
IWD was a bit weak IMHO but then again at the time I was thirsting for more after PST and BG

Plus I remember salivating at a proper DND game to rival EotB but looking at it now the DND2 ruleset is fecking nasty, how on earth did I memorise all that crap? (although I still remember leveling a paladin to level 9 on EotB to be sorely disappointed that they hadnt programmed in the spells )

I think D&D follows an inverse of the Star Trek curse...in this case, only odd-numbered editions are any good.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Oct 6, 2010, 17:55 JoeNapalm

derelict koan wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 16:52:
I also endorse Cutters ideas about breeding permits.

There should be a test.

If you score a certain number of points...you can have a goldfish.

A few more, rodents.

A few more than that, you can own a cat.

If you score 100%, a dog.

If you get all of that, and all the extra credit questions right...a kid.

For additional children, you have to take another test...and so do your existing kids.

Of course, we'd get out-bred by every other nation on earth, but IQs would go up by a lot in the meantime.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Game Prices & Inflation
16. Re: On Game Prices & Inflation Oct 6, 2010, 13:24 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 13:02:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 12:45:

Actually I was referring to this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6XMIldkRU

Americans typically aren't taught history outside of their own country, they probably won't know who that is

There. Fixed.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2010, 11:01 JoeNapalm

"Serenity", eh? I don't care if it was 0dB...I wouldn't buy a system from them.

I had a Puget Sound custom box for about a week, a few years ago - ended up sending it back for a full refund and building my own.

They sent me the wrong box of components - so I had all the wrong adapters and software - which they refused to fix. This, however, was the least of my worries.

The real problems were much more catastrophic. They partially cut some of the wiring while trimming cable ties, causing intermittent fan failures on the radiator (you know...the main point of heat dissipation on a water-cooled system?), and completely failed to run coolant to several of the waterblocks, leaving the RAM, Northbridge, etc, without any cooling whatsoever.

Actually had to argue with them over why this was bad. I eventually did get my money back - less a ton on shipping for a rather heavy water-cooled system. While I guess I am partially to blame (for thinking I could have someone else build a system for me, for a change), it was not a pleasant customer experience.

I do NOT recommend.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Pre-Alpha Miner Wars on Sale
13. Re: Pre-Alpha Miner Wars on Sale Oct 6, 2010, 10:46 JoeNapalm

kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 16:49:
Could they be the miners?
Sure, they're like three years old.
MINERS, not MINORS.
You lost me.

"Did you guys ever watch the show?"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > On Metacritic Scores
29. Re: filter like a lead sheet Oct 6, 2010, 09:45 JoeNapalm

space captain wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 07:19:
scores are for people that cant acquire useful information by actually reading others observations and opinions

Some people just want to be told a simple "BUY/DON'T BUY"...heck, I have a friend who wants me to tell him what computer to buy, that way.

I think MetaCritic is useful for what it is - an aggregator of opinions. On their own, MetaCritic, Previews, and Reviews themselves are pretty useless...Previews are usually pipe-dreams (I don't even bother reading most of them, anymore, they're like campaign promises), Reviews are rarely unbiased, and forums are full of vitriol.

I check all of these if I'm researching a game, though - you can get a feel for what review sites are relatively trustworthy, what forum posters share your tastes, etc...and then form your own opinion.

That's too much work for most people...which is why MetaCritic scores are color-coded for people who are too lazy to even read the bloody numbers.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

737 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo