Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > OnLive Reviewed
36. Re: OnLive Reviewed Nov 22, 2010, 15:42 JoeNapalm

Predicting 15 years in the future for computing?

Good luck with that.

Let's see...Moore's Law...carry the one...

Looks to me like my watch will become self-aware and destroy the Earth.

Sorry about that. I knew I should have gone analog.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - Full disclosure: My watch is analog to avoid any SkyNet-esque scenarios...just a bit of poetic license to make my point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Witcher 2 Preorder Response
17. Re: Witcher 2 Preorder Response Nov 22, 2010, 14:02 JoeNapalm

entr0py wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 13:47:

Seriously, what is the rationale for including copy-protection that's completely ineffective?

You're assuming they make these decisions based on reason.

That's a pretty big assumption.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

18. Re: OnLive Reviewed Nov 22, 2010, 12:40 JoeNapalm

Tumbler wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 12:30:
The wii owners and ps2 owners of the world might be a goldmine however.

As yes, the heretofore untapped Wii/PS2 FiOS demographic.

It's so obvious, now that you pointed it out.

*eye roll*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

10. Re: OnLive Reviewed Nov 22, 2010, 11:51 JoeNapalm

1. Create new gaming platform that nobody wants, with obvious technical shortcomings (that will actually get WORSE if your plan actually defeats all odds and becomes popular)
2. Downplay those flaws with pie-in-the-sky claims that any 5 year-old can see through
3. ???????
4. PROFIT!

I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

[Actually, I suspect this has already gone very right for the Execs behind it - as long as they've made enough venture capital to arrange for a comfy retirement, they don't care that it has no actual hope for survival. They don't have to convince US it's a good idea - just a bunch of fools willing to part with their money.]

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2010, 11:36 JoeNapalm

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 11:18:
YAY for ACB! Simply an amazing game with tons more story and things to do. The multiplayer is different, sorta like The Ship.

*ears perk up*

Interesting...

I'm a full iteration behind on this one, though. I like the first one, but with the PC DRM fiasco, never grabbed the second one. May have to get it on the PS3...

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 22, 2010, 10:48 JoeNapalm

"Microsoft promises"?

Yeah, that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect Online?
28. Re: Mass Effect Wars? Nov 19, 2010, 11:24 JoeNapalm

Great.

Now I have John Lennon's Imagine stuck in my head.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Extended
12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Extended Nov 19, 2010, 10:38 JoeNapalm

I take serious issued with this being called a "Free Trial"...

A free trial is when I get the game, for free, for a trial period. Any time provided with a Pay-to-Play MMO subscription free with my purchase isn't free - its included in my purchase...and it's not a "trial" because the game has already been paid for.

You don't call the period of time between when you buy a car and the first oil change a "test drive".

In summary, I despise marketing wonks.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Tease?
32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 17:20 JoeNapalm

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 16:56:
Bioware's answer?

C) Disregard entire game mode, and replace with Dumbest Minigame Ever Invented!

Creston

You hit the nail on the head with that, Creston.

Bioware looked at what was wrong with ME1 and, instead of FIXING it, they just carved it out of the game entirely.

Baby and bathwater, both out the bloody window.

The "oh, the inventory sucked anyway, so who misses it" perspective is understandable...if there weren't successful examples of how to do it right.

Look, I own a PS3. I don't hate consoles. I just hate what consoles make devs do to games that would otherwise have been awesome on the PC. ME1? Great game - but it would have been a lot better without the screwed up GUI and Halo-esque repetitive, limited environments...both of which are indisputably the result of console-oriented design constraints. For ME2, they identified the problem areas...then just craved them out like the Spanish Inquisition going after a rumor.

I enjoyed ME1 and ME2, but I can say that and still be very disappointed by the poor design choices, and concerned that ME3/DA will go even further in the wrong direction. Anyone who refuses to learn from history, etc.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2010, 15:36 JoeNapalm

kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 14:02:
Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 13:33:
kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2010, 10:49:
George Lucas once said "A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

Then George promptly forgot he ever said that, and made Episodes 1-3.

I know right?! But I think it's okay to say he's lost his mind in the decades after those comments.

My theory? Kidnapped, replaced by a doppleganger.

Possibly an android.

Could be Skynet, attempting to sap our will to live.

Or, Bill Gates. Just as likely.

Trust no one. Keep your laser handy!

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 17, 2010, 10:52 JoeNapalm

So...according to this article, we should play bad games so we appreciate mediocre games more?

Yeaaaah, I'm going to have to say "@#%^ you" and play good games so that I appreciate good games more.

I mean, WTF? How much free time do you bloody have, man?

That said, I play a lot of games that don't have the greatest Metacritic scores, or whatever...simply because what entertains me tends not to be in the mainstream AAA hype-machine driven review feeding frenzy.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Tease?
8. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 10:37 JoeNapalm

I don't know how to feel about this.

I love the series, but the first was a bad port, and the second was eviscerated to make it "more accessible."

This is a perfect example of why taking a good PC games to console platforms is bad.

And to add insult to injury, it sounds like they're doing the same thing to DA.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Yar's Revenge Remake
8. Re: Yar's Revenge Remake Nov 17, 2010, 09:39 JoeNapalm

I loved Yar's Revenge.

A remake would be awesome...

...as a free browser game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations
16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations Nov 16, 2010, 15:13 JoeNapalm

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 16, 2010, 14:49:
Stopped playing FF after FF8, which was great. It's a bit sad this IP would end this badly...

Eh, this might...might...put the boots to the MMO version of FF, but I seriously doubt you've seen the last Final Fantasy game ever.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > DiRT 3 Video Diary
1. Re: DiRT 3 Video Diary Nov 16, 2010, 14:56 JoeNapalm

I'm not normally a big racing fan, but I loved DiRT2, and it ran abnormally well on my machine even with the gfx cranked.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Beta Access with Bloodline Champions Preorders
2. Re: Beta Access with Bloodline Champions Preorders Nov 16, 2010, 14:24 JoeNapalm

It's not rocket science.

The game is free-to-play. The game's store items (microtransactions) are NOT free. You can pre-purchase stuff from the store.

So, yeah...it's free. Unless you want to buy stuff. This isn't really a new concept.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

News Comments > APB to Return Next Year
10. Re: APB to Return Next Year Nov 16, 2010, 13:38 JoeNapalm

Elye wrote on Nov 16, 2010, 12:52:
Maybe I'm weird, but I really liked this game. I didn't like the cheaters, and the game certainly needs some work, but I honestly had a great time with my friends on this game.

Well, since those mirror my sentiments...chances are you're weird. *Grin*

That said, I'm not sure I'll care in a year.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 9, 2010, 13:49 JoeNapalm

Did...did you even read the article?

Little Johnny here is 18 years old, living with his folks. He weighs 300lbs. He dropped out of school. He quit his job at the sandwich shop after three days. He plays 80hrs of games a week.

He's got a PC, an Xbox, a Wii, and two PS3s. Did he get those with his three days worth of pay from the sandwich shop? I don't think so. Mommy and Daddy foot the bill, it would appear.

The article says he quit school because he was bored, quit the job because it was "too much", and refuses to do his chores around the house. Where were his parents when he was making these wonderful choices?

He says, in the article, that he wants to quit games, but lacks the will to do so. Where is his support? He never logs off or leaves the house, so it's not his friends - he's got none (per the article). But his FOLKS are right there. WTF?

Look, the world is a big scary hurtful place fill of parasitic greedy corporations, LittleMe...no argument...but when faced with that sort of thing, if you curl up into a little ball and cry out for that very same society to save you, it's Way of the Dodo time.

Maybe little Johnny has some deeper mental health issues that aren't alluded to in that article, but going on what is written there, we've got a kid who's never been taught a bit of discipline by his parents - they've just given him whatever he wants and let him do whatever he wants. Nobody's holding a gun to his head. Worse, nobody's throwing the damn Xbox in the dumpster, either.

Blame society all you want, but until little Johnny and/or his parents stand up and take some bloody responsibility, nothing's gonna change...cause SOCIETY doesn't give a damn.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 9, 2010, 11:26 JoeNapalm

Oh, yeah...Society is to blame. Obviously. *rolls eyes*

It can't be that Johnny has absolutely zero-impulse control or that his parents totally enable this sort of behavior.

No, it's SOCIETY.

It must have been Society that threw my ass outside to play, even though - if left to my own devices - I would have rather spent days at a time delving dungeons in Wizardy. Society made me get jobs to earn my money. Society forced me to eat my vegetables and stay in school.

But not Johnny. Society @#%^ing hates Johnny.

How could we be so callous and cruel? I, for one, am ashamed of myself. If I could find Johnny, I'd go give him the ass-kicking he so desperately needs right now.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Harpoon Ultimate Edition
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Harpoon Ultimate Edition Nov 4, 2010, 13:37 JoeNapalm

Yeah, kids these days with their Eyepads and broadbands, texting on the Twitter.

I think I still have Harpoon kicking around here, somewhere...I also doubt that I still have the brains to play it. Too senile, probably.

"Now where did I put that missile boat?"

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo