Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 740 (Apprentice)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2010, 12:48 JoeNapalm

WyldKat wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 12:12:
Australian gamers should, in turn, lobby against the Bible because of all the violence, misogyny, and bigoted content that is unsuitable for fertile minds under the age of 18. I mean really they're after protecting the youth from harmful material, right?

I dunno, man. I poured holy water in my PC and it stopped working.

There was even a foul smelling mist that rose from the remains.

I think that should be proof enough that it was powered by evil spirits.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Announced
13. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 12:44 JoeNapalm

Ah, but you forget those insidious foes, the marketing wonks!

By harvesting your IP and your DOB, they gain data that they can grind up for their potions and brews.

That aside, don't forget that it doesn't have WORK, they just have to cover their butts. If they say they let you in, but only after they asked your age and you lied about it, then the blame for any age-inappropriate material you might view is on you. Kinda like a movie rating on cable...they told you the rating, so don't be all offended by the content.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Announced
3. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced Dec 6, 2010, 11:02 JoeNapalm

CommunistHamster wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 10:54:
So, we've had acronyms in vogue (S.T.A.L.K.E.R., F.E.A.R.), dodgy punctuation (DiRT), leetspeak (F3AR), Title:subtitle (too many to name), I guess we've arrived at ALLCAPS names now.

Don't worry! The sequel (announced before this game goes gold) will be an MMO titled:

T.O.M.B.R.A.I.D.E.R.: WoRlD oF C|20F+C|24F+ - Agamemnon Gambit

(I joke, but inside I cringe that it may be too close to the truth.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview
17. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 6, 2010, 09:54 JoeNapalm

Rattlehead wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 01:28:
Minecraft is the most overrated indie game since mount and blade, it's basically legos with shitty graphics.

You do realize that both of those games were developed by "dev teams" of one (1) guy, right? No hundred-man art teams, there. Heck, Minecraft is in ALPHA!

Even triple-A titles tend to look like crap in Alpha, because their resources are directed toward getting features working, not making it pretty.

M&B:Warband features very respectable graphics for an indy game - once they got some money, they could spend the time to pretty things up. Notch is expanding his team from just himself to about 20 people, so I'm guessing some of those are artists.

Obviously, you're entitled to like or dislike whatever games your inclined to - but both of these are top notch (no pun intended) open-world do-whatever-the-@#$%-you-please games. Both are very successful (for indy games). Could it be that you just don't like that kind of game? I mean, yeah, if you think legos are dumb, Minecraft probably doesn't hold much for you...

...but a lot of people like Legos...

A gazillion people like a lot of stuff I don't understand, I know that.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates
15. Re: the irony award goes to... Dec 3, 2010, 17:00 JoeNapalm

ockky wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 16:54:

mage != wizard != sorcerer != warlock != elephants

mage
- 1 of 1 thesaurus result
Main Entry: conjuror
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: magician
Synonyms: enchanter, juggler, mage, sear, shaman, sorcerer, warlock, witch, wizard

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

9. Re: the irony award goes to... Dec 3, 2010, 16:41 JoeNapalm

ockky wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 16:34:
JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 16:25:

The whole point of my original statement is - if they're calling this class a "Wizard" in-house, then that alone tells you quite a lot as to where their though process is...which is, clearly, Fighter/Rogue/Wizard/Priest.

I, for one, am not interested in "Star WoW".

Clearly you've not played WoW, otherwise you'd know that there is no 'wizard' class,

also, if you want to use quotes on me, how about you use the quote that goes something along the lines of describing 'ol ben' as a 'crazy old wizard' ...

finally, this is clearly the nerdiest fucking thread i've ever decided to pipe-in on lol

A) "Clearly" you didn't read my whole post, as I DID use that quote. Well played. (And yeah, that is sarcasm.)

B) WoW has no wizard class? WTF do you call a MAGE?! Forgive me if English is not your first language, or if you have some other reason for not understanding that they are the same bloody thing! Do you not grasp what I am saying here? It would be easier if you read whole posts, rather than forming an opinion halfway through, but my whole point is that they're using standard fantasy RPG archetypes as established by bloody CHAINMAIL, before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye.

*Sigh*

What was I saying? Something about decorum? Anyway...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

6. Re: the irony award goes to... Dec 3, 2010, 16:25 JoeNapalm

ockky wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 16:11:
JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 16:05:
Yeah, I'm fairly alarmed that they would ever have called a class "Jedi Wizard"...I mean, that offers some insight into their frame of mind - and it's not good.

... because it's not easier to give something an 'in-house' name to use as a reference while developing something and worry about naming it later?!

it's awesome reading threads about this game about how much it is going to suck, and how it's gonna be stupid, and how george lucas ruined your life, blah blah blah...if you have a problem with a game/ip, just dont play it and move the fuck on jeez

Hrm...

"This little one's not worth the effort. Now, let me get you something."

Nah, I can't let it go.

"No blasters! No blasters!"

The whole point of my original statement is - if they're calling this class a "Wizard" in-house, then that alone tells you quite a lot as to where their though process is...which is, clearly, Fighter/Rogue/Wizard/Priest.

I, for one, am not interested in "Star WoW".

Allow me to grab a snippet from one of your posts:
"I'm 32 and i fucking love me some star wars. all of it (even the, at times god-awful, books). and i'm even willing to put RotS right there next to ANH and ESB in greatness. there is just something about watching the movies that makes me feel so much like a kid again.

however, will say that i am totally psyched about this game, and i plan to play the god-damnit out of it when it comes out."

So, if I'm reading this right, you admit to liking books you know are "god-awful" simply because they are Star Wars, and you even go so far as to say EpIII is just as good as Empire...

Which is to say, batshit crazy. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm sure you'll love this game (if nothing else, because it's called STAR WARS). But we will never see eye to eye if you think a title makes the content (or that Hayden Cristensen is "as great" as Han Solo).

Nobody hopes I'm wrong about this game as much as I do...heck maybe they meant wizard in the sense of "That wizard is just a crazy old man!" That said, to jump on board simply because it's a Star Wars title, in spite of the plethora of bad Star Wars games that have been throw at us?

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed."

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

[EDIT: Removed flip reference to your total number of points - it's not relevant to your opinion. I mean, I can't promise to be civil, but I at least try to be fair...okay, maybe not actually fair, but to observe some form of forum decorum.]

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2010, 16:35.

3. Re: the irony award goes to... Dec 3, 2010, 16:05 JoeNapalm

Yeah, I'm fairly alarmed that they would ever have called a class "Jedi Wizard"...I mean, that offers some insight into their frame of mind - and it's not good.

Seriously...you have the STAR WARS IP. How hard do you have to work to @#$% that up?

I mean, George Lucas himself had to resort to Jar Jar, Anakin, and retroactive editing to pull that off! Those are some damn big guns in the @#$%ed-upedness department...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Assassin's Creed Decade
9. Re: The Assassin's Creed Decade Dec 3, 2010, 12:17 JoeNapalm

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 3, 2010, 12:09:
They were kicking your ass in fights, Creston?! Then you got the controls very, very wrong indeed... because my #1 complaint about AC is that combat is wayyy too simple. No amount of opponents was too big to handle.

The only times I died, if I remember correctly, was falling to death. But that's my story with almost every game tbh.. falling to death. More often than not I enjoy it, too. Hell, I often even save the game before leaping to my death from somewhere high. So entertaining!

Toward the end, yeah, it was possible to face off an army of attackers with that nasty curved little knife. I actually took a certain amount of glee from diving into the thick of things, and taking advantage of the fact that the cut-scenes would automatically end combat...

...hit the target with that wrist-blade, and his twenty bodyguards would just let you hear the guy's confession.

So, yeah, maybe too easy - but don't we all secretly like getting to the end of an RPG and being uber-powerful? And this from a guy who doesn't believe in God-mode...it's just nice when you earn it.

*Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Assassin's Creed Decade
3. Re: The Assassin's Creed Decade Dec 3, 2010, 11:42 JoeNapalm

I played the first one on PC, enjoyed the game, but the obvious console roots pained me.

I have been thinking of picking up AC2 on the PS3, but not sure which platform I should really go for. I usually only get stuff on the PS3 that I simply can't play on the PC (RDR, I'm looking at you).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2010, 15:49 JoeNapalm

Breaking news!

Microsoft says that Microsoft is awesome, and all competitors are less awesome, or maybe even not awesome at all!

Film at 11!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 2, 2010, 13:24 JoeNapalm

Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick has said that the company has no plans to "annualise" its biggest franchises like Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption.

The exec told Reuters that doing so would threaten their quality and risk burning out consumers.

That makes WAY too much sense. Who put that guy in charge?!

I wonder if EA will ever realize you can't squeeze the goose hard enough to force out more golden eggs.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Viral Website
14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Viral Website Dec 2, 2010, 10:04 JoeNapalm

Sometimes I get the feeling that all decent IPs are being hunted to extinction.

(Or, maybe, they're already dead and are now being exhumed and violated.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2010, 09:55 JoeNapalm

Ant wrote on Dec 2, 2010, 02:51:
JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 17:07:
Link is currently down, so I haven't been able to read the article...
Link works for me.

Yeah, it's working now - and appears to be another very poorly titled article - as the article is basically a discussion of games that are funny, rather than those that are not.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Dec 1, 2010, 17:07 JoeNapalm

Link is currently down, so I haven't been able to read the article...

Is the premise of this that humor fails in all games, or is it addressing specific instances when it does.

If it's the more general sense, I'd suggest he's playing the wrong games - plenty of games have humor that works. Heck, he cites RPGs as the most problematic...those are usually where it seems to work best.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > CrimeCraft: Bleedout Starter Kit
4. Re: CrimeCraft: Bleedout Starter Kit Dec 1, 2010, 16:58 JoeNapalm

kxmode wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 16:04:
A pound of flesh. No more, no less.

Bluesnews people quoting Shakespeare makes me very, very nervous.

Just sayin'.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > CrimeCraft: Bleedout Starter Kit
1. Re: CrimeCraft: Bleedout Starter Kit Dec 1, 2010, 13:51 JoeNapalm

Hmm.

This looks a LOT like APB...including customization (could it be as powerful as APB's?)...but free to play, with PvE and a storyline?

As one of the three people on earth who actually admits to having fun with APB, I am intrigued.

Not sure I'm "$10 Starter Kit" intrigued, but intrigued all the same.

[EDIT: I didn't realize it had been out a year - didn't make much of a splash, I guess?

Also:
"Pay Your Way Episodic content will be automatically available for free for all Deluxe or Premium CrimeCraft subscribers and available for individual purchase for free players."

I really hate how "FREE" gets applied to @#$% you gotta pay for, these days. Bloody marketing wonks.]

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

News Comments > Inception Game Confirmed?
10. Re: Inception Game Confirmed? Dec 1, 2010, 13:20 JoeNapalm

Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 13:05:

I know it's unreasonable but I also felt like The Matrix was dragged down by it's sequels. Yeah I know, I should consider it on it's own merits but the sequels were so godawful they actually tarnish the whole franchise in my mind.

I think that's perfectly reasonable.

People tend to avoid things that remind them of past trauma, even if those were things they used to enjoy.

[While Snopes claims that rumors that they lost the lawsuit about the authorship of the screenplay are false, I can't help but think that the sequels show a deep lack of understanding of the first film - sort of odd, if they actually wrote it. But I digress...used to date an English PhD student who did a thesis or something on this stuff.]

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Inception Game Confirmed?
4. Re: Inception Game Confirmed? Dec 1, 2010, 11:42 JoeNapalm

Surf wrote on Dec 1, 2010, 10:59:

Inception a 2010 remake of The Matrix!

And I suppose Full Metal Jacket was just a remake of Apocalypse Now?

I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion...not interested in getting into a "my movie can beat up your movie" conversation...but comparing Inception to The Matrix is pretty thin.

Besides, there's only like three good stories that just get retold over and over, when you get down to it. So Avatar is Pocahontas...I'd rather watch Avatar. *Shrug*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor
52. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 15:53 JoeNapalm

The Advocate wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 15:13:
finga wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 14:57:
Icewind wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 14:45:
It is possible that an RPG can move forwards and not be held back by RPGs of the past two decades, that in removing complexity in one area that you autistic people obsess and perseverate on ("What? No Unarmored skill? NO MEDIUM ARMOR SKILL? THE GAME IS COMPLETELY RUINED!"), they can spend more time balancing and working on new, more natural complexity elsewhere.

Actually, I think that was pretty epic and on the ball.

Games are products developed to be sold to people who will give good, hard cash to be entertained. They are not designed or developed by the Muses to bring forth High Art unto the savage barbarian races. Look at the top five selling franchises of all time. You think any of those games have a narrative that's better than your average Twilight book? Please.

Old shit is old for a reason and we don't use it now because it's clearly inferior to what we're using today. If that wasn't so, why aren't we still using bronze tools and chasing bears with long pointy sticks?

The Top 5 Best Selling Game Franchises of ALL TIME:
Mario
Pokemon
Tetris
The Sims
FIFA

Hey, you're right! Except that NONE of those are RPGs. The best selling RPG of all time, though, is Lineage. So, by your logic...Lineage is the BEST RPG EVER.

I think that is pretty definitive proof that your scale is completely out of whack.

You seem to think that these RPGs are being streamlined to make them sleeker and more fun - in reality, most of them are just being simplified to make them cheaper to develop and run on consoles with limited resources and controls, and homogenized to make them appeal to a "broader demographic" (aka the lowest common denominator).

Don't get me wrong...I own Fallout's 1 through 3, and if I'm going to play Fallout it's probably going to be New Vegas...even great games don't always age so gracefully that a pretty update doesn't appeal.

But to sit there and say Oblivion is better than Morrowind because of the "new natural complexities" is...well...it's actually pretty absurd. They didn't remove complexity to make it better...they simply removed it to make it run better on a machine with less memory and a clunkier control scheme.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2010, 16:00.

740 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo